Eastern Med with 84 year old Dad--how much is too much

Mom2008

`Hello again,

This is a wonderful friendly thread. you really have got a lot of us rooting for you.

If you are now thinking warm in March have a look at Celebrity they have their 123 deal on at the moment and there may be incentives that appeal to you. Mind you, it looks as though this weekend may be the time to book any cruise line as black friday prices apply even north of the border.

I am doing the Caribbean with Celebrity on the 22 March.

I am sorry the Med is no longer happening but looking on the bright side; a nice bit of Caribbean sun after the wet left coast winter is everso enjoyable. I know we have decided Feb-Apr is our favourite time of the year to cruise.

Your dad sounds like a great guy so I am sure hewill be happy with the idea that the people are more important than the destination.

Do, please, keep us all up to date with your decisions.

Cheers, h.

Yes, this thread has been very friendly, I've gotten some good advice.

My kids and my Dad and I are very much of the opinion that as long as we're together, that's what counts. Dad is offering a cruise, he likes the all-inclusive nature of it, that's what we'll do, though I am sometimes tempted by the idea of finding a great all-inclusive resort some place warm.

Yes, Caribbean sun in March sounds great, but anywhere warm would be great. My family loves the idea of being able to swim in warm ocean waters.

The CC cruise search doesn't seem to have March 2014 as a search option any more :-( so I'm searching other sites. Yes, black Friday deals are great, but this isn't something we want to rush into, still a lot of careful consideration (I'm a very cautious person). But I guess as we get closer to the end of March, there are more last-minute deals available, so that's a good thing.

As always, I'll keep you posted.

One of the main reasons he's offering this, especially for our family, is that living halfway across the country, they don't see him very much, and this is a way to connect. So I'm re-thinking this now. Europe would be educational and amazing, but not relaxing, and I think my Dad needs relaxing. He can do a separate trip to Rome, with me, or some of his Catholic friends, to see the Pope, without everyone else in tow.

Hey I know the Pope is big for your dad, but he is not usually available in July. (I learned that the hard way) Not sure how much this helps, but Pope Francis will be in Philadelphia in 2015 for the World families meeting. There isn't a date set yet, but I would think if he's coming to the US he'll be visiting a few cities - at least I hope so. So that could be an option to see him.

Hey I know the Pope is big for your dad, but he is not usually available in July. (I learned that the hard way) Not sure how much this helps, but Pope Francis will be in Philadelphia in 2015 for the World families meeting. There isn't a date set yet, but I would think if he's coming to the US he'll be visiting a few cities - at least I hope so. So that could be an option to see him.

That's fantastic information. It would be so much easier to get to pretty much any city in the US large enough to host the Pope with only a 2-4 hour flight from Winnipeg. The US is very disabled traveler friendly due to the ADA. It seems like a total win-win to take a trip to someplace warm with the family in the Caribbean or Mexico, and then go see the Pope with just your Dad when he is in the US. That way you don't put him through a grueling plane trip and frustrating experiences in non accessible European cities.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

That's fantastic information. It would be so much easier to get to pretty much any city in the US large enough to host the Pope with only a 2-4 hour flight from Winnipeg. The US is very disabled traveler friendly due to the ADA. It seems like a total win-win to take a trip to someplace warm with the family in the Caribbean or Mexico, and then go see the Pope with just your Dad when he is in the US. That way you don't put him through a grueling plane trip and frustrating experiences in non accessible European cities.

That sounds like a brilliant solution!

If you are thinking about heading to the Caribbean instead, I would figure out which ports you can get to with reasonable airfare first, and then find a cruise that fits your travel dates. There are plenty to choose from. Coming from Canada it might be cost effective to fly into St. Maarten or another Caribbean departure port instead of Florida/NOLA/Texas, keep that in mind. It might also be more cost effective to so ply take a land-based vacation at an all-inclusive, Cuba might be a terrific option for you.

It doesn't necessarily have to be Caribbean, just any place warm where we can swim in the ocean, and most of all relax and spend time together.

Yes, first order of business is looking at the cost for flights, finding the most economical, and going from there. St. Maarten doesn't seem to be much cheaper than flying to Ft. Lauderdale, but I'll look harder. Flight time to Fort Lauderdale from Vancouver is 6 hours, from Winnipeg is only 4 (for my Dad).

Cuba does sound very appealing. So does Costa Rica; a neighbour went there for a family member's wedding, and it is an amazing country, very progressive and diverse. I might head over to the seniors forum to ask about planning a warm destination vacation for March, as this thread (unfortunately) is no longer about Eastern Mediterranean. But I'll post our final destination here once it's finalized.

if Dad is 84 and has it in his heart to see the Pope maybe waiting until 2015 ain't such a good plan? assuming the arch-bishop can get him in to see the Pope maybe your Dad and one his kids could just make a trip to Rome (early spring to beat the crowds and the heat). Outside of whatever the whole clan decides on as a group.

Edited by Sherlock43031

Celebrity Solstice is doing 3 repo cruises in future. In your price bracket, only one way air required. Celebritys Choice Air dept. usually has good 1 way pricing.I am doing Sept 23,14 myself. Would be just long enough and in your price bracket. Dad can relax in the solarium pool area. Beautiful ship. X treats elderly disabled extra special. I see crew wheeling them around shore. Look em up.

It doesn't necessarily have to be Caribbean, just any place warm where we can swim in the ocean, and most of all relax and spend time together.

Yes, first order of business is looking at the cost for flights, finding the most economical, and going from there. St. Maarten doesn't seem to be much cheaper than flying to Ft. Lauderdale, but I'll look harder. Flight time to Fort Lauderdale from Vancouver is 6 hours, from Winnipeg is only 4 (for my Dad).

Cuba does sound very appealing. So does Costa Rica; a neighbour went there for a family member's wedding, and it is an amazing country, very progressive and diverse. I might head over to the seniors forum to ask about planning a warm destination vacation for March, as this thread (unfortunately) is no longer about Eastern Mediterranean. But I'll post our final destination here once it's finalized.

Another one to think about is Bermuda from NYC or Baltimore. Those might not start until April though

Celebrity Solstice is doing 3 repo cruises in future. In your price bracket, only one way air required. Celebritys Choice Air dept. usually has good 1 way pricing.I am doing Sept 23,14 myself. Would be just long enough and in your price bracket. Dad can relax in the solarium pool area. Beautiful ship. X treats elderly disabled extra special. I see crew wheeling them around shore. Look em up.

I think that is an excellent suggestion. All of the lines have those repositions in spring and fall and many to Italy.

We're now considering a few options

1) a repositioning cruise to/from Vancouver or West Coast, but I need to find one within our price range (now $2,000pp total)

2) a regular cruise end of March to the Caribbean, somewhere warm

3) a flight to an all-inclusive resort near a beach where we can just veg out.

There's talk of Disneyland, but I don't think that would be relaxing for my Dad.

I got the list of all the ships sailing into or out of Vancouver and am working back from there to see which ones might suit us, earliest arrival is end of April. There's one, HAL that sails from Tokyo to Vancouver, I've seen inside fare as low as $699, but that would be one loooong flight for my Dad. It could be something the family could do another year, as we have close friends in Japan.

There's another HAL from Ft Lauderdale leaving end of April, but those are 20 or 21 days, a bit long for us.

Still looking.

We're now considering a few options

1) a repositioning cruise to/from Vancouver or West Coast, but I need to find one within our price range (now $2,000pp total)

2) a regular cruise end of March to the Caribbean, somewhere warm

3) a flight to an all-inclusive resort near a beach where we can just veg out.

There's talk of Disneyland, but I don't think that would be relaxing for my Dad.

I got the list of all the ships sailing into or out of Vancouver and am working back from there to see which ones might suit us, earliest arrival is end of April. There's one, HAL that sails from Tokyo to Vancouver, I've seen inside fare as low as $699, but that would be one loooong flight for my Dad. It could be something the family could do another year, as we have close friends in Japan.

There's another HAL from Ft Lauderdale leaving end of April, but those are 20 or 21 days, a bit long for us.

Still looking.

Do not do Disneyland. My husband and I did a day there last summer, and it was exhausting for two adults who are in great physical shape.

I still think the resort option would be the best choice. If you can find one with a three bedroom condo type it might be ideal. One other thing to keep,in mind with cruising is that you never know when you might hit rough water where balancing could be a serious problem for your father.

Do not do Disneyland. My husband and I did a day there last summer, and it was exhausting for two adults who are in great physical shape.

I still think the resort option would be the best choice. If you can find one with a three bedroom condo type it might be ideal. One other thing to keep,in mind with cruising is that you never know when you might hit rough water where balancing could be a serious problem for your father.

Kind of what I thought about Disneyland, more fun for us and the kids than for my Dad. None of us has ever been (except my husband as a kid), but that will be on our list for another time.

Dad gets nauseated very easily, so anything with rough seas could be a problem, BUT, he LOVES cruising. Though he'd love a beautiful, warm-water, sandy beach resort too.

Back to the insurance point, unless you have some unusual trip insurance through work, you are not going to get any money back if you cancel after the final payment date (for example if someone in the family gets sick and you can't go). As far as health insurance, Medicare generally doesn't cover care outside the U.S., and for sure wouldn't pay for airlifting your dad to a medical facility if he got sick on the cruise. You can buy insurance through the cruise line, but a lot of people recommend going to a website like insuremytrip to compare available plans.

Back to the insurance point, unless you have some unusual trip insurance through work, you are not going to get any money back if you cancel after the final payment date (for example if someone in the family gets sick and you can't go). As far as health insurance, Medicare generally doesn't cover care outside the U.S., and for sure wouldn't pay for airlifting your dad to a medical facility if he got sick on the cruise. You can buy insurance through the cruise line, but a lot of people recommend going to a website like insuremytrip to compare available plans.

The OP is from Canada. As already stated, trip insurance (which is my case includes cancellation insurance) thru work is the norm here, rather than the exception.

Edited by Twickenham

sounds like dear old Dad who is footing the bill has become an after thought. even a passing thought of taking a 84 yo to Disney is nuts.

Well, I've never been to Disney, which is why I posed the question. Thank you for your kind evaluation of my mental state ;). Dear old Dad is very much at the forefront of the final decision.

Dear Mom2008,

Your dad and family is fantastic and I will admire the way you are looking into creating a holiday for all of you. I traveled with my disabled aunt and it created an unique set of challenges. Since I'm European, and only traveled extensively in Europe (except for a quick USA city trip) I won't have much to add to this thread anymore.

We once had a 5* resort in Turkey that consisted of many steep steps towards bungalows, the lobby up top, with an elevator going down to the hotel pool and the MDR, but not down to the beach (more steep steps) and all the other restaurants on the resort (5). Supposedly there was a little train that went Beach-Lobby and Lobby-Bungalows, but it often drove erratically or not at all. When we got out our transfer bus, we saw one woman who was on crutches! I saw her face crumple and she immediately switched from bungalow to hotel room, but I heard that rooms left over weren't very good. I doubt she saw the beach that holiday. Another man told the porter that he'd bring his own bag to his bungalow. We met him stranded 3 minutes later. None of the people were aware of the steep nature of our hotel and bungalows. It was build on the cliff wall. We were because it was in the brochure, but often TA's can be misinformed or the brochure will be much nicer then the truth.

So the only tip I wanted to give you, is that if you are looking into a land holiday at a resort, here in Holland we have several TA's specialized in trips for the elderly/disabled. They will have excellent knowledge of resorts that are wheel chair accessible, even though your dad can walk, it will be easier when he does need a walker if there aren't any silly steps or other problems. They can sometimes also assist in having care abroad and know how well equipped the handicapped rooms are.

Enjoy your trip and please do update with what you end up with!

Edited by cruise_bunnies

Dear Mom2008,

Your dad and family is fantastic and I will admire the way you are looking into creating a holiday for all of you. As I said before, I traveled with my disabled aunt and it created an unique set of challenges. Since I'm European, and only traveled extensively in Europe (except for a quick USA city trip) I won't have much to add to this thread anymore.

We once had a 5* resort in Turkey that consisted of many steep steps towards bungalows, the lobby up top, with an elevator going down to the hotel pool and the MDR, but not down to the beach (more steep steps) and all the other restaurants on the resort (5). Supposedly there was a little train that went Beach-Lobby and Lobby-Bungalows, but it often drove erratically or not at all. When we got out, we saw one woman who was on crutches! I saw her face crumple and she immediately switched from bungalow to hotel room, but I heard that rooms left over weren't very good. I doubt she saw the beach that holiday. Another man told the porter that he'd bring his own bag to his bungalow. We met him stranded 3 minutes later. None of the people were aware of the steep nature of our hotel and bungalows. It was build on the cliff wall. We were because it was in the brochure, but often TA's can be misinformed or the brochure will be much nicer then the truth.

So the only tip I wanted to give you, is that if you are looking into a land holiday at a resort, here in Holland we have several TA's specialized in trips for the elderly/disabled. They will have excellent knowledge of resorts that are wheel chair accessible, even though your dad can walk, it will be easier when he does need a walker if there aren't any silly steps or other problems. They can sometimes also assist in having care abroad and know how well equipped the handicapped rooms are.

Enjoy your trip and please do update with what you end up with!

Thank you CB. That sounds like such a horrible experience. Your aunt was very lucky to have you accompany her on such an adventure.

Yes, the cover can sometimes look much more appealing than the book. I'll make sure to ask some hard questions about accessibility and stairs. My FIL stayed in a resort where you had to take a shuttle/golf cart to get to the beach.

As much as my Dad loves cruising, with his mobility issues and weak stomach, I'm thinking a quiet resort would allow him to relax more. He'll be cruising with the other five siblings' families in 2015 and beyond (no one else is planning anything for 2014, what with the nephew's wedding Thanksgiving weekend), so if I don't take him on a cruise, he'll get his fill in the future.

Thank you CB. That sounds like such a horrible experience. Your aunt was very lucky to have you accompany her on such an adventure.

Well, we knew about the stairs and she wasn't with us. That would have been a disaster. :eek: We booked it because we didn't mind the stairs and it was a great resort for us, being both able bodied, and not wanting to be near the city. Don't like being awakened by the mosques and the private beach was a nice bonus.

When we went with her, we went to Benidorm, Spain, which is famed for being wheel chair accessible. They even have wheel chair taxi's (5) which are quick to get to you and don't cost more. No cobble stones, but wide avenues. It's a breeze to go anywhere :) We also booked her into a care hotel, meaning she had a night nurse checking in on her, an alarm system and somebody to help her shower. She is much more severely disabled than your dad and she loves Spain. They even host excursions through the hotel that you can join if you want to.

The second time we booked a wheel chair accessible room in Germany, but the TA warned us she never booked that hotel before. It was hard for my aunt to reach the bathroom on her own, so I had to go down to her room every night to help her to the toilet. We were there only 3 nights, but it was still much more cumbersome. We did however have somebody come in every morning and help her shower, as the TA can arrange that everywhere in Europe. We won't be back to that hotel though!

This kind of experiences made me always do extra research and really understand what we are booking. Wheel chair accessible doesn't always mean a wide room that you can easily maneuver a wheel chair in. :mad:

Edited by cruise_bunnies

Husband and I are both in our mid 80s and traveling by plane is not comfortable for us at all and it is so costly nowadays that we rarely even consider it. Since you live in Vancouver you have many choices of vacation areas that would not involve plane travel. It would save a considerable amount if you cruise out of one of the nearby ports. Hawaii would be my choice and there are cruise lines that leave and return to ports in your area.

I second the Hawaii cruise suggestion! Both Royal Caribbean and Celebrity have repositioning cruises in April 2014 from Honolulu, HI to Vancouver, BC. (Also the reverse in Sept., but that may be too close to your other travel plans.) You start out in HI and see several of the islands, and then have sea days at the end to relax as you return to Canada. This would require only one flight. We did the Sept, 2013 Vancouver to HI cruise and found it to a good mix of busy and slow days. This might be a solution within the budget and physical parameters you related. No matter what you decide, have a great time together!

Yes, the cover can sometimes look much more appealing than the book. I'll make sure to ask some hard questions about accessibility and stairs. My FIL stayed in a resort where you had to take a shuttle/golf cart to get to the beach.

As much as my Dad loves cruising, with his mobility issues and weak stomach, I'm thinking a quiet resort would allow him to relax more. He'll be cruising with the other five siblings' families in 2015 and beyond (no one else is planning anything for 2014, what with the nephew's wedding Thanksgiving weekend), so if I don't take him on a cruise, he'll get his fill in the future.

Instead of a resort, I'm thinking renting a house (single story) on a beach someplace might be an option. Maybe someplace with a nice porch overlooking the dunes where he could sun himself while the kids play on the beach.