Rude Passengers

suntan

Unfortunate in this day and age, touching a child opens you up to being accused of being a pedophile.

Sadly but true and we are seeing the toll the fear takes. Every encounter is deem as offensive. It's an age when no one look out or care about those that aren't kin.

I spent 12 years being the travel companion for my beloved brother who was in a wheelchair/scooter/cane, paralyzed on one side and speech virtually gone from a stroke. Nobody ever expected him to make a life after his stroke, but he was determined and unbelievably cheerful under the circumstances.

I observed that he had to use enormous reserves of determination to do the things the rest of us take for grated. Sometimes he miscalculated - bumped into someone, brushed past too close or otherwise. Often because he was making such a mammoth effort to climb that stair, climb onto that elevator, he did not notice a person nearby.

Never again will I judge the elderly who are not letting their disabilities - visible or invisible - keep them cooped up and unhappy. There but for the grace of God....

Awww - I love your attitude. :)

I have sailed on most cruise lines & most oten everyone is courteous. My recent cruise on Royal 11/17 was one of the exceptions & this only happened on embarkation when a multitude of cruisers refused to go to the back. Insisting they were priority well so were a large portion waiting. Princess is responsible for this chaos as not enough personnel were out controlling the extremely large crowd. Horrible way to start a cruise.

If the OP has ever been in a super market for half an hour, all those things reported would have happened, save the ping pong ball, which, IMO was the writers own fault for getting too close Ouch, how it must have hurt.:)

john

We have just come off the Crown Princess 7-night Caribbean cruise. The demographics of the passengers was a mixture of young and old, couples, families and singles. Passengers were from Canada, the U.S., Britain, and other European countries. During the 7-night cruise I was: walked into, backed into, walked into from the side, stepped on, hit by a ping pong ball, hit by someone pushing an empty wheelchair, and someone had the audacity to place their hands on me (she thought I was going to bump into her in an elevator however that gives no one the right to touch me or anyone else). All of these "events" were caused by older ("older" meaning over 70) passengers and not one of them said "Sorry". Some of the women thought it was ok to touch children that didn't belong to them. Maybe that's a cultural thing, however, in this day and age I'm surprised the parents didn't object. I don't know why some older aged individuals have to be so rude and ignorant.

I hope that when you are an older aged individual, you will remember to be polite. Did it ever occur to you that some of those individuals don't realize wheat they are doing? My mother has dementia and it sometimes affects her manners. A tad more patience would suit you well.

The rudest passenger I ever encountered was on my last cruise on the Sapphire. I was in the gym on the bike when he came up and asked if he held a piece of pizza in front of me would I pedal faster. He then repeated the same "funny" line to a fellow on the treadmill. The guy on the treadmill looked like he wanted to punch him.

Admittedly, I am sensitive about my weight -- I am much smaller than many other passengers but still larger than I would like to be. That precisely was why I was in the gym. I am just so thankful that it was me instead of the lady that took the bike after me. She was very softspoken and very large. I think I would have gone off at him if I had heard him say it to her.

Still, it wasn't until later in the day when I picked myself back up emotionally that I decided I should have retorted, "Pizza? No. If you want me to pedal faster you should bring doughnuts."

I was in the gym every day of that cruise and never saw that ******* in there again.

Every other rude passenger I have encountered is the typical abuse suffered by the waiters and stewards. It always amazes me that some people treat service personnel like slaves.

The rudest passenger I ever encountered was on my last cruise on the Sapphire. I was in the gym on the bike when he came up and asked if he held a piece of pizza in front of me would I pedal faster. He then repeated the same "funny" line to a fellow on the treadmill. The guy on the treadmill looked like he wanted to punch him.

Admittedly' date=' I am sensitive about my weight -- I am much smaller than many other passengers but still larger than I would like to be. That precisely was why I was in the gym. I am just so thankful that it was me instead of the lady that took the bike after me. She was very softspoken and very large. I think I would have gone off at him if I had heard him say it to her.

Still, it wasn't until later in the day when I picked myself back up emotionally that I decided I should have retorted, "Pizza? No. If you want me to pedal faster you should bring doughnuts."

I was in the gym every day of that cruise and never saw that ******* in there again.

Every other rude passenger I have encountered is the typical abuse suffered by the waiters and stewards. It always amazes me that some people treat service personnel like slaves.[/quote']

UGH!!! That comment makes my blood boil! How rude, crude, unattractive and just plain stupid. I would have said "Weight is a problem that can be fixed.... you, sir, have an affliction that is much more difficult to cure." :rolleyes:

Admittedly' date=' I am sensitive about my weight -- I am much smaller than many other passengers but still larger than I would like to be. That precisely was why I was in the gym. I am just so thankful that it was me instead of the lady that took the bike after me. She was very softspoken and very large. I think I would have gone off at him if I had heard him say it to her.

Every other rude passenger I have encountered is the typical abuse suffered by the waiters and stewards. It always amazes me that some people treat service personnel like slaves.[/quote']

I love Jan's retort, though I would have probably just replied in my sternest school-teacher voice "Shame on you".

If I really had my wits about me I would have asked him to explain his comment and then I would have continued to say< "Well, exactly what do you mean?" to each of his replies.

I would say that he is raised by wolves, but I would never insult a wolf in such a way.

If the OP has ever been in a super market for half an hour, all those things reported would have happened, save the ping pong ball, which, IMO was the writers own fault for getting too close Ouch, how it must have hurt.:)

john

After working in a grocery store for 25 years I can tell you, you can get hit with something a lot harder than ping pong balls. How about someone throwing a lemon at you when you're not looking or a pack of cigarettes? I would much rather get hit by a ping pong ball.

My first cruise was a Baltic one. There were a lot of rude people of all ages on this cruise. I almost didn't want to cruise again but I have been on five more cruises and have not experienced that many rude people again. Manners and respect by the majority of cruisers and the staff, certainly make a cruise more enjoyable!

Way back when before kids cruised a lot, we took my then 8 YO son with us on a cruise. We were heading to dinner and as an energetic kid he walked quicker then we did down the hallway. He rounded the corner and pushed the elevator button. We were about 20 seconds behind him. I turn the corner and there is an elderly man who is yelling at him and I do mean YELLING - and then at me - for allowing my son "to play" with the elevator. We actually could hear him before we saw him and before we turned the corner. I explained to him that we were right behind him (although it was obvious) and he was not playing, he pushed the down button (what kid doesn't like to push the button for the parents), which is where we were going for dinner. He then proceeded to loudly tell me that maybe, just maybe, he'd complain to the Captain about my unruly child. I said "go ahead, and I'll be reporting a nasty old man who is abusive and hates children". That shut him up! Seriously, we were 20 seconds behind him. He pushed the button and stood there quietly while this man yelled at him. My son is really shy and quiet even to this day. No tattoos, gang colors, pants hanging down to his knees. Just a normal kid. He was wearing a tux and politely standing there.

Talk about elevator etiquette! What is wrong with people?

Edited by notentirelynormal

Being old shouldn't equate with rudeness

No doubt the elder rude people were just the same when younger.

As to reaching into baby carriages, I do not think anyone of any age should do this, on ship or onshore. At my old grocery store an older woman did this, much to the dismay of the young father. I was sure he would strangle her, but he exercised remarkable self-restraint and just grimaced.

Steve

Would have always agreed with that. But now that we live in Florida, it may need further study.

As far as rude passengers, every cruise has a few of "The Bickersons" travelling on it. Sit back, enjoy and be glad you are not part of their family.

Honestly?

Now in fairness, let me add a positive experience that took place on board. One time as we were exiting the MDR, others who had the later seating were crowded around the doors, waiting to be let in. My aunt, 87 at the time, scooted ahead to get out of the way and in a split second, lost her balance. She was way outside any of our immediate reach, we could only watch. But a young man standing near by, I would guess in his early 20's, saw what was happening. Without a thought, he literally bolted to her, swooped down and caught her before she hit the ground. He turned her upright and set her on her feet, then while she was still clutching him in fear, he gently danced with her as if it was all part of their plan. They shared a good laugh and she thanked him profusely. We all did. She really could have been badly injured - he saved the day. It was a beautiful, instinctive act of kindness and grace that I'll never forget.

What a lovely young man. He must have had wonderful parents.

It is Suntan's right to vent about the rude seniors observed. He or she was offended by over 70's and it colored the cruise experience. I hope that there were some good times and nice people on that cruise! Here is my viewpoint.

I look at it a little differently-the big picture maybe? I do know that you can't control other people's behaviors and actions.

There are all types of people in the world....if you can pay for a cruise, you can go on one. People on your cruise are the same people at an airport,a subway station,a concert,a supermarket,a mall,a restaurant or any other public venue. Some are caring,polite and behave appropriately,while others are selfish,rude and unruly.

Maybe Suntan doesn't mix much in public venues and a cruiseship certainly is a confining space and could magnify human behavior for someone not used to a mass of people.

I would like Suntan to think about this,though. The older people who committed the offences against you used to be children,teenagers,young adults,older adults. I doubt if they got rude when they hit 70! They were probably never in the caring,polite,appropriately behaving group. Also,some unfortunate seniors develop neurological issues that let social graces escape them. A lot of seniors from the caring group are wonderful souls who are caring,polite,and full of knowledge and experience....all individuals.

PS: Stay away from HAl cruises,Suntan.

UGH!!! That comment makes my blood boil! How rude, crude, unattractive and just plain stupid. I would have said "Weight is a problem that can be fixed.... you, sir, have an affliction that is much more difficult to cure." :rolleyes:

I love this. You would have to wonder what possessed this guy to do this. Maybe he thought he was coming up with the funniest line ever. I would like think if someone was pedaling away and said out loud that maybe if something would dangle a slice in front of him, he (himself) would go faster, that might elicit a laugh from the others. But to go up to strangers and use that line directed toward others is not. Context, as usual.

Way back when before kids cruised a lot, we took my then 8 YO son with us on a cruise. We were heading to dinner and as an energetic kid he walked quicker then we did down the hallway. He rounded the corner and pushed the elevator button. We were about 20 seconds behind him. I turn the corner and there is an elderly man who is yelling at him and I do mean YELLING - and then at me - for allowing my son "to play" with the elevator. We actually could hear him before we saw him and before we turned the corner. I explained to him that we were right behind him (although it was obvious) and he was not playing, he pushed the down button (what kid doesn't like to push the button for the parents), which is where we were going for dinner. He then proceeded to loudly tell me that maybe, just maybe, he'd complain to the Captain about my unruly child. I said "go ahead, and I'll be reporting a nasty old man who is abusive and hates children". That shut him up! Seriously, we were 20 seconds behind him. He pushed the button and stood there quietly while this man yelled at him. My son is really shy and quiet even to this day. No tattoos, gang colors, pants hanging down to his knees. Just a normal kid. He was wearing a tux and politely standing there.

Talk about elevator etiquette! What is wrong with people?

It's amazing how some people (no matter the age) automatically assume that anyone under 18 is going to be out of control, loud, etc. Most of the kids I've met while helping out in classrooms or with other school programs are very reasonable (excluding middle aged drama kids, but that's another story).

As to reaching into baby carriages, I do not think anyone of any age should do this, on ship or onshore. At my old grocery store an older woman did this, much to the dismay of the young father. I was sure he would strangle her, but he exercised remarkable self-restraint and just grimaced.

Steve

Many new parents don't want strangers touching their babies for a variety of reasons, including to avoid any germs being spread to their children. I think many people just don't think that what they're doing is offensive to others, but if you're told to please don't do "that," consider that a learning experience and don't accuse the other of being over-sensitive.

When I saw this forum title I was intrigued. I wondered if it might be a collection of minor annoyances. As I have read the posts, I find the rude experiences to be much more. Case in point is the gym/pizza experience. I think the conduct of the amateur comedian far exceeded anything I would call simply rude. :eek: I do wonder what this guy was thinking.