New Checkin Procedures at Port Everglades

whynotsooner

Does anyone know I the new progressive checkin applies to all Royal Princess out of Terminal 2 at Port Everglades or only selected voyages based on the number of other ships or how full the ship will be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They did not use the progressive boarding when we sailed the Royal out of FLL a few weeks ago.

Staggered boarding is implemented on a cruise by cruise basis based on expected congestion at the terminal, or anything else that would cause higher volume (for example, they may have been notified of inspections those days that will delay boarding)

On the 11/17 Royal cruise, Passengers were lined up along the whole front of the building

at 1pm. Lucky we are Platinum. It took about 20 minutes to a half- hour to get to Cabin.

I didn't like how they had Passengers lined up at the Counter to get your Card. Next

person in line was right behind you. No space. Everyone anxious to board. I think you

use to wait a few feet away from Counter.

I posted this previously but am re-posting the notification for my 12/22 cruise. It sounds like all the December cruises are going to do this. Note: Those with preferred boarding can board at any time.

I'm not overly surprised by lines in front of the building. I think that's pretty normal.

PROGRESSIVE CRUISE CHECK-IN INFORMATION

Embarkation for your cruise is from 12:30 pm until 3:00 pm. As many of our

guests are enthusiastic to join the ship, you may experience delays and longer

lines when trying to board before your scheduled time. For those passengers

with flexibility, the closer you arrive to your scheduled time, the shorter

your wait is likely to be. All those who arrive by 3:00 pm will be accommodated

and will not miss the ship. Passengers with a Preferred Boarding Pass,

transfer, and/or part of a group may check-in anytime during embarkation. Once

onboard enjoy a meal at the Horizon Court, which remains open throughout the

day to serve you. We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

12:30pm - Caribe & Riviera Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with C & R

1:00pm - Baja & Marina & Lido Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with B & M &

1:30pm - Dolphin & Emerald Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with D & E

2:00pm - Aloha Deck - Cabins on this deck begin with A

Staggered boarding is implemented on a cruise by cruise basis based on expected congestion at the terminal, or anything else that would cause higher volume (for example, they may have been notified of inspections those days that will delay boarding)

And yet it is impractical for many people, so it is not enforced.

o Princess xfers from the airports do not make passengers wait for hours at the airport until it it their time to get to the ship

o Families arriving together may have cabins with different boarding times

o Those who board later cannot eat lunch in the dining room and may miss the opportunity to book the Sanctuary, UST, the specialty dining day and time they want, etc.

o People who have stayed in local hotels usually have to be out of the hotel by 11 AM.

o etc.

They have been relying on self enforcement, but by choosing to send out the notice they CAN enforce it if needed.

o Princess xfers from the airports do not make passengers wait for hours at the airport until it it their time to get to the ship

o Those who board later cannot eat lunch in the dining room and may miss the opportunity to book the Sanctuary, UST, the specialty dining day and time they want, etc.

o People who have stayed in local hotels usually have to be out of the hotel by 11 AM.

o etc.

They have been relying on self enforcement, but by choosing to send out the notice they CAN enforce it if needed.
The only port I've seen it reported as being enforced is San Francisco, which has a very different cruise terminal than Port Everglades.

Does anyone know I the new progressive checkin applies to all Royal Princess out of Terminal 2 at Port Everglades or only selected voyages based on the number of other ships or how full the ship will be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't seen this before, so I think it is new. And I like it. But I can't see Princess turning people away.

Those two are actually specifically exempted from the "requirement".

But honestly, the only time I've seen a really bad line was on a trip where boarding was delayed due to cleaning for noro.

Please READ the notice!!! It very clearly says that passengers wishing to board earlier may have long waits...it also explicitly says that folks with different status or decks may board together. It's a suggestion!! Not a policy.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The only port I've seen it reported as being enforced is San Francisco, which has a very different cruise terminal than Port Everglades.

We boarded in SF in late September and were notified of the progressive boarding. We went early as per our usual and had no problems. It did not appear as though they were enforcing it.

• 1 month later...

We are boarding the Royal on 01.12.14 and received an email from Princess yesterday stating that they would be utilizing progressive boarding :( Has anyone on a recent Royal cruise experienced this? I so hope CruisinChris is spot on in that this is a suggestion and is not enforced.

We like to get to the port by 10:30 - 11:00 am or so to board as early as they'll allow us so that we can have a fighting chance at making reservations at the sanctuary, specialty dining, etc., and just to get acquainted with the ship. We're on the Aloha deck and if we have to wait it out until the time noted in the email, we won't be allowed to board until 2 pm. We'd waste so much of the day. :(

Princess has been sending out this info for a couple of years about staggered boarding at a few different ports. Other then San Fran I have never seen it used. If I were you I would still arrive at 1030. If all goes well boarding should start around Noon.

Thank you very much. I truly hope that we are allowed to board before 2 pm. Otherwise it'd be like getting punished for reserving a sweet cabin on the Aloha deck. I just want to start my vacation that I've been lusting over for the past seven months. :(

Thank you very much. I truly hope that we are allowed to board before 2 pm. Otherwise it'd be like getting punished for reserving a sweet cabin on the Aloha deck. I just want to start my vacation that I've been lusting over for the past seven months. :(

We just got off last week and it was the worse boarding we have ever seen. I wrote a blow by blow account of what we want through on Dec 15th. The system that Princess try"s to do just does not work. They have been doing it for years and this was the worse yet. No really follows the boarding e-mail they have been sending out for awhile now. One of the reasons for going early is for booking of the Crown Grill, Enclave which could be done by booking on-line months or weeks ahead of time. Don't waste your time on booking the Sanacutary because you will need a act of god to do that. It was already full in the first 30 minutes of our cruise. Something is up with that? I would be happy to fill you in on boarding! It was a real mess in the terminal!

Edited by fielddreamer

We are sailing on the Crown Princess on Jan.4th. We had a shuttle reservation for transfer from hotel to port at 10:30a.m., but I got a phone call at home this morning from shuttle company. I was told that they have been told by port authorities to not bring anyone to the port before 12:00p.m., as it is "high season" with masses of people cruising during January. Port authorities want disembarking passengers gone before arriving passengers enter the port. I was told there are 9 ships in port on Jan.4th, and massive traffic is expected. This certainly seems to go along with the request from Princess for staggered boarding, which we also received recently.

We are new to Princess, not to cruising.

We will not need to be on board early to reserve specialty dining, nor any other option.

We are fine without eating lunch in the MDR.

When is the best time to board to miss the lines? We will be sailing on the Crown on Feb 1, and our cabin is on the Emerald deck. We are thinking about arriving around 2:00 PM.

Good time? Too early/late?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.