Thanksgiving On Holland

RocketMan275

Now that would be good. Thanks for the tip. And, here's a tip for you. Add some water chestnuts. Gives it a nice 'crunch'.

No mention was made if this is a bread stuffing, corn bread stuffing, sausage....... So many variations to consider. :)

No mention was made if this is a bread stuffing, corn bread stuffing, sausage....... So many variations to consider. :)

Just your basic bread (generally regular bread, dried, but sometimes sourdough bread), celery, onion stuffing with raisins. Poultry and sage seasonings. I'm still trying to get it to taste like my mother's, but not there yet. :)

Just your basic bread (generally regular bread, dried, but sometimes sourdough bread), celery, onion stuffing with raisins. Poultry and sage seasonings. I'm still trying to get it to taste like my mother's, but not there yet. :)

I got turkey stuffing tips in Italy where they add garlic and grated parmesan cheese to the standard bread stuffing mix. This makes a fantastic full flavor where the sum of the parts is far better than the individual ingredients.

Saute three cloves of garlic in the butter vegetable and seasoning mix of your choice along with a good handful of chopped parsley. Then pour butter mixture over bread cubes ( use Honey Wheat bread that I have cubed) and fold in 1/2 cup grated real parmesan cheese.

A few dashes of good balsamic vinegar in the turkey gravy takes it up a few flavor notches too.

Has anyone been on a Holland cruise over Thanksgiving? What was done special? We're usually on our own for Thanksgiving (kids spend Christmas with us). Would appreciate anyone's experiences.

Sailed last week on Eurodam over Thanksgiving and that day was a sea day for us. Besides an occassional HAPPY THANKSGIVING greeting from the staff, there wasn't anything done special for the day. We were extremely disappointed in the MDR as the turkey entree was far from a traditional Thanksgiving meal.

I get SO tired of hearing about the Pilgrims and Thanksgiving! Give credit where credit is due. The FIRST Thanksgiving was celebrated as a secular gathering at Berkeley Plantation in Virginia in 1619. NOT as history books like to give the credit to the Pilgrims in Massachusetts (sp?). While I'm on the subject.....Jamestown, Virginia was founded in 1607. 23 years before the Pilgrims set foot on Plymouth Rock! As far as the menu goes....It consisted of wild game including turkey. It's all in black & white and can be searched easily. Thanks for letting me vent!!

but the cut on my plate was obviously from turkey roll as was the yellow skin that looked under cooked.

There is no way a ship could roast enough whole turkeys to feed 1000-2000 people with all the waste on a bird. Maybe they consider they are serving roast turkey because even a turkey roll is cooked in the oven. I love turkey, but would never order it on a ship even on Thanksgiving Day. We'll have our T'giving meal when we get home. ;)

I get SO tired of hearing about the Pilgrims and Thanksgiving! Give credit where credit is due. The FIRST Thanksgiving was celebrated as a secular gathering at Berkeley Plantation in Virginia in 1619. NOT as history books like to give the credit to the Pilgrims in Massachusetts (sp?). While I'm on the subject.....Jamestown, Virginia was founded in 1607. 23 years before the Pilgrims set foot on Plymouth Rock! As far as the menu goes....It consisted of wild game including turkey. It's all in black & white and can be searched easily. Thanks for letting me vent!!

You guys need to get a better PR / marketing firm then. I'm tired of the annual "racism / genocide" demonstrations up here at Plymouth every Thanksgiving. Maybe it should be your turn to host those folks.

Actually the first Thanksgiving in what is now Newfoundland, Canada. :p

"The very first Thanksgiving celebration in North America took place in Canada when Martin Frobisher, an explorer from England arrived in Newfoundland in 1578. He wanted to give thanks for his safe arrival to the New World. That means the first Thanksgiving in Canada was celebrated 43 years before the pilgrims landed in Plymouth"

Edited by Lauranne

Actually the first Thanksgiving in what is now Newfoundland, Canada. :p

"The very first Thanksgiving celebration in North America took place in Canada when Martin Frobisher, an explorer from England arrived in Newfoundland in 1578. He wanted to give thanks for his safe arrival to the New World. That means the first Thanksgiving in Canada was celebrated 43 years before the pilgrims landed in Plymouth"

:confused:

You put a statement in quotation marks but you don't tell us the source.

:confused:

You put a statement in quotation marks but you don't tell us the source.

Seriously??? I didn't realize that I was writing a university dissertation. I was actually poking a bit of fun. I hope the following will do. :rolleyes:

http://www.kidzworld.com/article/2614-canadian-thanksgiving

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorials/2012/10/07/canadas_thanksgiving_is_the_first_and_the_best.html

http://www.canada.com/holidays/thanksgiving2005/story.html?id=74257801-d907-46e0-9bbd-c386515c6fe5

Sorry, I seem to have offended you.

My reason for asking is because your comments interested me as I'd never heard that before. I was hoping you weren't going to say it came from Wiki.

Thanks for your response.