First time cruise basket/beach bag!

Tracyf19

I am sure this thread has already been posted somewhere.

My husband and I are looking to book a cruise in February with his family (mom, step-dad, and sister/friend) Since they are all first time cruisers, my husband and I thought we would put a cute basket/beach bag together filled with cruise necessities for the holidays. Any ideas of what we can place in the bags??

I have thought of:

Cheap flip flops for the beaches and pool area

Bathroom necessities or gift card so they can buy their own

Dramamine

Lanyards for ID cards

I have been on several cruises before and have ideas but I would like to get some other cruisers in puts as well.

Thanks for the help!!

A highlighter so they can mark activities that interest them on their daily program

A few large clips..... useful for clipping curtains shut to avoid early morning sun

An insulated mug to keep coffee hot or iced tea/cold beverage cold

Print outs of some info you find on line (here on CC in the ports of call forums) about ports you will be visiting.

Please do not add cheap flip flops in the bag, those things are dangerous on the ships pool decks! I've seen so many people fall because they had on shoes with no traction ie cheap flip flops!! So for the sake of family and friends, do not put those in their gifts!!

One thing most don't think to pack is bug spray. They sell the tiny, skinny containers of it that are easy to pack and good to have for excursions! A small magnet to use - state rooms are all metal so they will stick anywhere. Small nite lite if they're booked in inside staterooms.

One of the things to take I to consideration is if they will be flying. If so, things like insulated mugs and such take up a lot of luggage space and might not be worthwhile for them.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

One of the things to take I to consideration is if they will be flying. If so, things like insulated mugs and such take up a lot of luggage space and might not be worthwhile for them.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

There are plenty of light weight mugs and if you pack socks, underwear or small items into the mug, it will take up almost no space.

• 2 weeks later...

Where can I find paperback informational books on the western caribbean? Don't really have time to order online and guarantee delivery before Christmas. Thanks!

Thanks again for all the ideas! We have gift baskets ready to go :-)

Tracyf19, I'm not sure what bookstores are in your area, but I know Barnes & Noble has a good sized Travel section in their stores. You could also Search 'Caribbean Travel' on their website, and then call to see what they have in stock. :)

Tracyf19, I'm not sure what bookstores are in your area, but I know Barnes & Noble has a good sized Travel section in their stores. You could also Search 'Caribbean Travel' on their website, and then call to see what they have in stock. :)

We do have a Barnes & Noble near by. I will look into what books they offer and if they have any in stock or maybe take a drive over to see their in stock selection. I have noticed a lot of books are now on e-reader which is difficult when you know they don't have one. Thank you

Hand gel, hand wipes. I use the wipes to do my own cleaning of remote, telephone, safe door.

Was glad a friend mentioned the wipes.

You can find small sizes of hand gel and we each keep one in our pockets most of the time.

The wipes take up little room in checked luggage.

Some of the same suggestions by previous posters.

Guest maddycat

My list isn't fun, but it is practical. We've needed all of the items listed below at one time or another on our cruises.

1. A first aid kit with band aids, neosporin and alcohol wipes.

2. OTC meds.........imodium, benadryl, aleve, etc.

3. A small travel sewing kit.

4. If any of them wear eye glasses......a small eye glass repair kit. Can be bought at most drug stores.

5. Eye glass cleaning wipes.

If you order from amazon.com or drugstore.com tomorrow, you will get the items by Christmas.

Maddycat, have you been stalking my luggage? This is my list plus I,take more. I was just wondering if a person could get band aids at Purser's desk. I think they have sea sick meds also.

Old glasses, just in case. My trip would be ruined without RX lens.

Hand gel, can't stress that enough. I found that most of those machines on the ship are empty or in very inconvenient places.

Guest maddycat
Maddycat, have you been stalking my luggage? This is my list plus I,take more. I was just wondering if a person could get band aids at Purser's desk. I think they have sea sick meds also.

Old glasses, just in case. My trip would be ruined without RX lens.

Hand gel, can't stress that enough. I found that most of those machines on the ship are empty or in very inconvenient places.

I don't know about getting band aids at guest relations. On RCI ships they are sold in one of the shops, along with other toiletries, but the prices are outrageous. It's better if you bring your own.

Target carries the 2-packs of Energizer battery operated "tap lights." I think these are the handiest gadgets of all to take on a cruise. I keep one by our bedside at night. For our upcoming cruise with grandchildren, I have packed them to put in the bathroom to use as night lights. (Batteries are not included.)