Luggage Direct Program

Tillie43

Sailing on the Westerdam 12/07/13. Has anyone used the Luggage Directprogram when disembarking in Fort Lauderdale? Any pros and cons would be appreciated. Also, how does HAL handle the airline luggage fee. I don't want to pay for overweight luggage (you know how luggage gains weight when you travel) so is there a way to weigh luggage on the ship before they take it to the airport? Looking forward to getting some sun and having a great cruise.

One of my most useful travel gadgets is a digital luggage scale that I bought in a luggage store. It goes with us on trips and has paid for itself many times over, I'm sure.

Edited by sapper1

I will be on your cruise and will be using Luggage Direct yet again. The necessary forms will be placed in your mailbox by the door or left on the bed by your steward.

Your credit card is billed for the fee and if you are required to pay for luggage for your flight that too is placed on the card. (My husband will have free Delta luggage on this trip and since I'm flying on a companion ticket, I will be assessed a fee by Delta. All that will be taken care of.)

It's important to leave the ship at your assigned time with your carryon. Our luggaged has so far always been there to greet us at our home airport.

Luggage direct is wonderful. You put your luggage out the night before disembarkation and don't see it again till you arrive at your destination airport. I'm flying US Air this time and hope they participate in the program.

Edited by mamaofami

Sailing on the Westerdam 12/07/13. Has anyone used the Luggage Directprogram when disembarking in Fort Lauderdale? Any pros and cons would be appreciated. Also, how does HAL handle the airline luggage fee. I don't want to pay for overweight luggage (you know how luggage gains weight when you travel) so is there a way to weigh luggage on the ship before they take it to the airport? Looking forward to getting some sun and having a great cruise.

We used Luggage Direct recently from Fort Lauderdale. We fly Jet Blue and I had three checked bags. Two were free. That's a very good question...I have no idea how the extra bag was paid for! I'll have to check with DH when he comes home. The program works very well, BTW.

The baggage fees are charged to your HAL onboard account. If you are (over)charged fees in error it is necessary to call the Luggage Direct people directly to arrange a refund.

Edited by VMax1700

DL service sounds great....however did I read somewhere that one must exit the ship by 7:30 AM? That is tough for 6 PM flight. Any info appreciated.

Blessings,

Gail

To be honest, you're going to be encouraged to leave the ship fairly early so that the crew can have things ready for the next cruisers. But you do have to exit in the window that Customs has your luggage.

The FLL airport is far from interesting. Six is a long wait, my sympathies.

To be honest, you're going to be encouraged to leave the ship fairly early so that the crew can have things ready for the next cruisers. But you do have to exit in the window that Customs has your luggage.

The FLL airport is far from interesting. Six is a long wait, my sympathies.

We recently had a 5:13 PM flight from Fort Lauderdale...so took the Land and Water excursion from the ship...it was a lovely way to pass the time...and they dropped us off at the airport when it was over. We, too, did Luggage Direct.

We used luggage direct recently for the first time. We filled out the form delivered to our cabin, the fees for luggage direct as well as baggage fees were added to our on board account. HAL printed our boarding pass and luggage tags. We were on an international flight with a connection and all luggage arrived safe and sound.

We also bring our own luggage scale but I heard (second hand) that there is a scale at the front office. We were on the Noordam. We had to be off by 0800h, which wasn't that much earlier than we would have been otherwise. With a late flight, I would suggest taking advantage of a tour. We did the Everglades on a previous trip and loved it.

We used Luggage Direct for the first time on our last cruise. It worked great, and I would not hesitate to use it again if offered. The bag fees for US Air were charged to our onboard account along with the luggage direct fees from HAL. We bought a small hand held luggage scale for about $10 at a travel store and we use that to make sure our luggage is not over 50 pounds and then tote the scale in our carryons (it is small and lightweight).........it works like a charm, and no surprises. And yes, HAL prints out your boarding passes for you, no worries there.

Edited by Irish Eyes Are Sailing

I have used it several times and love it. The trick is that your flight must leave around 11:00 or later. They do make you leave the ship in a group early, just in case the inspectors have singled out your luggage for inspection before it leaves for the airport.

That said, it's still a great service. One of my bags didn't make it to my home airport, and I called HAL when I got home. It turned out to be the airline's mistake, not Luggage Direct, but HAL refunded the luggage direct fee anyway. (The airline delivered my bag at my home later that night)

I'll use them anytime I can. It's very nice to breeze off the ship with no luggage, and straight out to a cab/shuttle to the airport. I paid a van 10.00 and he took about 6 of us straight to the airport and dropped us at our respective airlines. Very nice indeed! I got a coffee, and settled in to read the newspaper, watching everyone dragging their bags though the airport.

We used Luggage Direct for the first time on our last cruise. It worked great, and I would not hesitate to use it again if offered. The bag fees for US Air were charged to our onboard account along with the luggage direct fees from HAL. We bought a small hand held luggage scale for about $10 at a travel store and we use that to make sure our luggage is not over 50 pounds and then tote the scale in our carryons (it is small and lightweight).........it works like a charm, and no surprises. And yes, HAL prints out your boarding passes for you, no worries there.

I'm happy to hear that US Air participates in this program. We usually fly Jet Blue, but this will be our first time with US Air.

It's a win-win-win

The guests don't have to stand in long lines at the airport to check bags and obtain boarding passes

The cruiseline sees less congestion for their self assist component

The airlines benefit the most because cuts down at lone lines at the counter, a huge amount of baggage is presorted, screened and taken directly planeside for their flight banks after 12 pm

If you are on a connection, double check with your gate agent to make sure your bag edit is in the computer

I have free bags with UA. How do they work that out?

You give them your airline's booking number, they print your luggage tags and boarding passes based on your itinerary, etc. If you have "free bags" associated with the booking number (i.e. in the airlines computer) there will be no additional baggage fees. If you don't and there is a baggage fee charged by the airlines it will be passed on to you (in addition to the Luggage Direct fee).

We used luggage direct recently for the first time. We filled out the form delivered to our cabin, the fees for luggage direct as well as baggage fees were added to our on board account. HAL printed our boarding pass and luggage tags. We were on an international flight with a connection and all luggage arrived safe and sound.

We also bring our own luggage scale but I heard (second hand) that there is a scale at the front office. We were on the Noordam. We had to be off by 0800h, which wasn't that much earlier than we would have been otherwise. With a late flight, I would suggest taking advantage of a tour. We did the Everglades on a previous trip and loved it.

I thought luggage direct wasn't available to passengers living in Canada and booked on international flights. Has this changed?

Do you have to claim your luggage in the customs area, or just be in that room in case? We like to have breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill befor leaving the ship since our flight is not until 2pm. But, we would be off the ship by 9:30 and if we don't have to worry about the luggage, we would take carry on to breakfast and leave from there. So we would be out of the room. Thanks.

You won't see your luggage from the time you set it in the hall the night before until you arrive home, but you are required to be in the terminal by 8 AM in case your luggage is chosen for a random inspection. You need to be present in case this happens. Being off by 0800 is one of the criteria to participate..

Do you have to claim your luggage in the customs area, or just be in that room in case? We like to have breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill befor leaving the ship since our flight is not until 2pm. But, we would be off the ship by 9:30 and if we don't have to worry about the luggage, we would take carry on to breakfast and leave from there. So we would be out of the room. Thanks.

If you want to use Luggage Direct, you will have to forego Pinnacle.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Forums mobile app