Dress up nights

bansa

Having just returned from our 3rd cruise in 4 yrs with Carnival don't cruisers dress up anymore on the formal nights. We travel long haul to go on the cruise and weight ( luggage) is now very restricted. Our last cruise around the Caribbean we felt very out of place on formal nights we bothered hardly anyone else did. Main dining room looked more like a beach day than a formal evening , many in shorts and flip flops. We are looking at another cruise next year and wonder if other cruisers have seen the same. Is it worth packing smart clothes anymore? Did go to their steakhouse but dress wear was just as in formal.

Edited by bansa
Left a word out

The problem isn't so much the passengers (although they should have the integrity to comply with the rules they agreed to in the contract and on board) but with the dining staff for not enforcing the rules they created. If they simply enforced their rules, most people would stop trying to get away with breaking them.

Edited by Out to sea!

Having just returned from our 3rd cruise in 4 yrs with Carnival don't cruisers dress up anymore on the formal nights. We travel long haul to go on the cruise and weight ( luggage) is now very restricted. Our last cruise around the Caribbean we felt very out of place on formal nights we bothered hardly anyone else did. Main dining room looked more like a beach day than a formal evening , many in shorts and flip flops. We are looking at another cruise next year and wonder if other cruisers have seen the same. Is it worth packing smart clothes anymore? Did go to their steakhouse but dress wear was just as in formal.

Welcome to Cruise Critic......

I just returned from my 31st Carnival cruise in 12 years and I still see people dressing up.....not to the extent that they once did (but then back in the day I took a dress to wear every evening).

I've never seen shorts and flip flops in the MDR on formal night, and I've started looking for people who don't conform to the dress code.....so I don't think it's very widespread, if reports of it are to be believed at all.

Another "they didn't dress in the DR" thread? I just don't understand why people worry/care about what others are wearing in the dining room. Who cares! Enjoy your family and friends on your vacation! If you feel the need to look around the dining room try to fight it and gaze into your husband's/wife's eyes or ask your kids what they did that day on the ship. ;)

Vacation is time to kick back, relax and enjoy! Not worry about things YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO CONTROL OVER.

~C

Another "they didn't dress in the DR" thread? I just don't understand why people worry/care about what others are wearing in the dining room. Who cares! Enjoy your family and friends on your vacation! If you feel the need to look around the dining room try to fight it and gaze into your husband's/wife's eyes or ask your kids what they did that day on the ship. ;)

Vacation is time to kick back, relax and enjoy! Not worry about things YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO CONTROL OVER.

I agree, my lobster tail tastes great whether the guy next to me has shorts on, or a tux..

I agree, my lobster tail tastes great whether the guy next to me has shorts on, or a tux..

Amen!

~C

Considering that most cruise ships have two dining rooms, perhaps it's time that the cruise lines consider making one dining room for formal dining for those that like to dress up, and one for casual dining, where the dress code would be less restrictive. However, for those that want to only dress like they're going to a beachfront grille, they would still have the option of the buffet. Maybe if the cruise lines did this, people would stop worrying about what someone else is wearing to dinner. :cool:

Recently off the Conquest (Nov. 24) and would have to say that the majority of folks were

cruise casual on elegant night; myself included. They would not seat you if you were in shorts but that was about the only requirement. Saw several people in flip flops and wearing ball caps.

Like others have said, I really don't care what others are wearing as long as they appear to be clean. I enjoy being comfortable while cruising so kakhi pants and a collared shirt is my fashion statement.

We are very informal people but don't wear shorts in the MDR on "elegant night". Perhaps folks who cruise in the Caribbean want to relax in the style of the islands they are visiting and so don't really want to dress up?

We have not cruise there and on our Mexican Riviera cruises have not seen shorts and flip flops in the MDR on elegant nights at all! The majority are not in formal wear!!

Still maintain the only reason they still have elegant nights is to sell pictures.

Dont know why others would care what the people around them are wearing?

Wouldnt wear shorts to dinner any night but what othes wear is not my concern.

However if the girl in the chain mail dress would appear in the dining room that might be another story.

I always dress up on formal night (long dress) and wear a nice sundress of some sort for the other nights. I recently went on the Ecstasy with some friends for our graduation and my guy friends were turned away on formal night when they wore jeans, not dress pants, and a Tshirt, not collared. I think it depends on the ship whether or not the rules are enforced. My family and I always dress up but we don't get offended if there are others not dressed up.

However if the girl in the chain mail dress would appear in the dining room that might be another story.

I actually saw this on Ecstasy last summer (I think it was plastic but looked like chain mail). The girl actually looked quite attractive :rolleyes:...got the elbow to the ribs from DW for looking a little toooooo long.:D

Wear what you want gang, however, follow the rules...:)

What is formal enough? Not jeans? Are Khakis and polo good enough? Slacks and a button up shirt? Suit? Does everyone have to go all-out tuxes?

Everyone's idea of dress up is different. Also, I'm on vacation, I don't feel like dressing up like I'm in the office.

I know I'm just going to wear khakis and a polo or button up shirt for formal night.

We've been on two cruises so far and both times, there were LOADS of people dressed up for formal night.

On our first cruise (Fascination) they turned people away at the door if they weren't in formal/dressy clothing. We were turned away because we weren't dressed up enough--DH and I both had button down shirts and our "good" jeans (dark blue, pressed, very nice jeans) while DS wore a polo shirt and khaki pants.

On the second cruise (Triumph), we dressed up more (I had a nice-ish dress, DH and DS were wearing the exact same thing they'd worn for Formal Night before, except DH was in khakis this time) and I saw at least one guy wearing "dress" jeans. We figured that since we sailed out of Texas instead of Florida, the staff knew (or at least were made aware of) that down here, jeans count as formal wear, if they're nice enough and well pressed. :)

~C

Vacation time is the time to kick back and relax.......WHILE STILL FOLLOWING THE RULES! As long as someone is within the standards set by Carnival, I don't care how they dress. When they are outside of those guidelines, I do have some control as I can complain to the wait staff, Matre'd, and others to enforce their own rules. It's possible they may be afraid of losing tips if they enforce the rules. they should also be worried about losing tips if they fail to enforce their rules as well!

Edited by Out to sea!

Still maintain the only reason they still have elegant nights is to sell pictures.

Dont know why others would care what the people around them are wearing?

Wouldnt wear shorts to dinner any night but what othes wear is not my concern.

Just came off the Ecstasy and they took pictures most every night, formal or not, so I'm not sure that is the justification.

I don't care so much what people wear per say as I care about them following rules/laws. If they can't follow a simple standard on what to wear/not wear, what other rule/law are they breaking that may actually effect my life?

Been cruising for 30 years and times have changed. The dining room used to be dress up each night and each night they had a different theme. On formal nights tuxs were worn or suits for men and formal (promy type) dresses for women.

Still see people dressing up for elegant night but not as dressy. Times have changed in both the cruising world and at home. I can remember when our Mother's got us all dressed up to fly. Gloves even at times. Now we dress for comfort to fly. Times are changing and while I follow the rules on elegant night and dress up (not as dressy as before) if someone comes in the dining room with a more casual look but still with in the parameters of the guidelines then it certainly does not affect me!

People dont care about dressing up anymore and the only reason cruiseline care is to sell pictures.

This, it's a vacation folks. I rarely eat in the dining room since I don't want to be judged on my clothing to eat.

Relax, its a cruise and a vacation. When cruising becomes a chore, I won't be there any more.

I think it boils down to a few things.

I have noticed that the shorter the sailing, the less people dress up. I just took two short cruises this fall and noticed very few people dress to the nines. I think people just want to relax and not spend a ton of time packing and then getting all dressed up on a short trip. I even wore shorts and a tasteful t-shirt a few nights on the Imagination last week. Only got dressed up for elegant night. I don't check bags when I fly unless totally necessary so packing extra stuff is not worth it.

I seemed to notice half the ship did self assist also so alot of people seem to be doing the same thing as me.

HOWEVER, where I will draw the line is hats in the mdr. I wont wear a baseball cap but a lot of pax do. I actually saw the hostess turn away a pax wearing a wife beater shirt the first night. Good for her.

Considering that most cruise ships have two dining rooms, perhaps it's time that the cruise lines consider making one dining room for formal dining for those that like to dress up, and one for casual dining, where the dress code would be less restrictive. However, for those that want to only dress like they're going to a beachfront grille, they would still have the option of the buffet. Maybe if the cruise lines did this, people would stop worrying about what someone else is wearing to dinner. :cool:

I would go for this BIG TIME!

Ummm....NCL already does this. One of the reason we like to sail with them.