Does a 15 year old need Government ID to Sail

kaitlynangel

My travel agent has informed me she travels with her under 16 year old children all the time on closed loop cruises and that no adult nor child need a passport only an original birth certificate and a picture ID (for adults) - Birth certificate for children only. The ship is going to key west and Cozumel but back and forth from ft. Lauderdale.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Tapatalk

While that is probably true, why chance it?

People have suggested getting her a passport. It's truly the ONLY 100% guaranteed thing she'll need.

If you feel your TA is giving you good info and you have reason to trust her, then I wouldn't worry. However, when you return, getting her a passport might be the best thing to do then.

Edited by Kevin T Brown

My travel agent has informed me she travels with her under 16 year old children all the time on closed loop cruises and that no adult nor child need a passport only an original birth certificate and a picture ID (for adults) - Birth certificate for children only. The ship is going to key west and Cozumel but back and forth from ft. Lauderdale.

There have been a number of recent threads on this board that I would group together under the heading "when things go wrong". Like the bride who couldn't attend her own wedding when the weather was too poor to allow her to tender ashore to meet her waiting groom.

The recurrent theme with these threads is that if you plan for the best and ignore what could happen, you're potentially setting yourself up for an unnecessary series of problems.

As you surely know by now, all US citizens traveling outside of the United States by land or sea (except closed-loop cruises) are required to present a Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document such as a passport or a passport card to return to the United States. That does not include birth certificates. So what happens when something unexpected like a medical emergency arises when you are in Cozumel, one that necessitates your family flying back to the US? Oops, daughter is caught now without the documents she needs as she is no longer on a closed-loop cruise.

Sure, the chances are good that nothing will happen, but is it worth taking the risk for the small price of a passport?

I was told by Celebrity and the airport that our 15 yr old wouldn't need a government issued id. But, we decided for her to get one anyway, just to be safe. At least then she has it.

Do you mind if i ask what date you are sailing? We are sailing Jan. 20th on the constellation, FLL to Coz to KW to FLL. I am hoping our daughter will have enough people in her age group to keep themselves entertained in the Teen Club/area.

I do not know what the DMV in Florida issues but in Oregon you can go to the local DMV and get Non-Driver Photo ID...older people who no longer drive often get this kind of State Identification for many purposes such as voting and traveling. Check it out.

Yep can get that in FL as well.

I just (as in last month) sent my 15.5 year old across the country (from NJ to San Jose, CA) and he did not fly with an adult. Even changed planes in Midway. And he DID NOT take his passport. He used his school issued picture ID.

So a minor travelling alone does not NEED a passport as ID. The fact that your son had no other form of picture ID and only had a passport means that he used it BECAUSE he had no other ID...not because he NEEDED the passport.

I just wanted to clarify what might be confusing to others.

Your child did not leave the country. Entirely different story.

Linda

Hi,

I was told by Celebrity that my 15 yeard old would need Government ID and A birth Certificate or a passport to sail on a closed loop cruise, Ft, Lauderdale to Cozumel to Key West to Ft. Lauderdale. Is this true?

In the past we just used a Birth Certificate, since she is not a driver and is not getting her permit yet, she won't have a Drivers License to show as picture ID. All we have is a birth certificate. Did Celebrity give me the correct information?

Would never take a chance. Get a passport. Things happen, accidents and emergencies...risky business on shore without a passport. They are good now for 10 years.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Tapatalk

I think I would get a new travel agent. The best ID is a passport no matter what. Then there isn't any problems. Our daughter has had a passport since she was 9 months old.

Last spring we had a stop in Cozumel. To get back on the ship we had to have our id's checked by a Mexican official to get back on the pier. They did not consider your sea pass as a valid id, (although you will need that to get off and on the ship). They wanted to see your passport or a state issued ID card with a picture before they would let you on the pier.

So I guess on a closed loop you might not need one but to get back out of Mexico you might.

Hi,

I was told by Celebrity that my 15 yeard old would need Government ID and A birth Certificate or a passport to sail on a closed loop cruise, Ft, Lauderdale to Cozumel to Key West to Ft. Lauderdale. Is this true?

In the past we just used a Birth Certificate, since she is not a driver and is not getting her permit yet, she won't have a Drivers License to show as picture ID. All we have is a birth certificate. Did Celebrity give me the correct information?

You can get a state ID. Same as a DL, but without the driving privileges.