Does a 15 year old need Government ID to Sail

kaitlynangel

Hi,

I was told by Celebrity that my 15 yeard old would need Government ID and A birth Certificate or a passport to sail on a closed loop cruise, Ft, Lauderdale to Cozumel to Key West to Ft. Lauderdale. Is this true?

In the past we just used a Birth Certificate, since she is not a driver and is not getting her permit yet, she won't have a Drivers License to show as picture ID. All we have is a birth certificate. Did Celebrity give me the correct information?

From the Celebrity FAQ website - under 16, no picture ID required.

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a government-issued birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original or notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Note: Baptismal papers and hospital certificates of birth are not acceptable. Voter registration cards or Social Security cards are not considered proof of citizenship.

Edited by BaumD

From the Celebrity FAQ website - under 16, no picture ID required.

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a government-issued birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original or notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Note: Baptismal papers and hospital certificates of birth are not acceptable. Voter registration cards or Social Security cards are not considered proof of citizenship.

Just reminding everyone that the above applies only to US citizens. Wouldn't like anyone from other countries to think it applied to them, too.

This is an international site.

From the Mexico travel site:

"To enter Mexico, you will need either a valid passport or your original birth certificate along with a valid photo ID such as a drivers license. Citizens other than U.S. or Canadian may have other requirements such as a visa. Please contact a Mexican consulate or embassy near you."

http://www.mexonline.com/mexcustoms.htm

From the US Customs and Border Protection website:

"U.S. Citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country on the cruise with proof of citizenship, such as an original or copy of his or her birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) and, if 16 or older, a government issued photo ID. If the child is a newborn and the actual birth certificate has not arrived from the Vital Records Department, we will accept a Hospital issued birth certificate. The United States does not require you to have a passport. (A Consular report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State or a Certificate of Naturalization is also acceptable.)

HOWEVER, it is possible that one or more of the Caribbean Islands on your itinerary, does require you to have a passport to enter their country. In that case, it is very possible that the cruise line will require you to have a passport to board, even if it is not a U.S. requirement. You should always check with your cruise ship, travel agent and or destination country to confirm the requirements for entry into the foreign countries you will be visiting. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) provides document requirements for entry into the United States only."

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139

Just because the USA doesn't require a photo ID to exit/enter on a closed loop cruise doesn't mean the countries that the ship will visit will allow it. Given all that is going on in the world today it never hurts to have a valid passport.

Edited by RickT

Once upon a time, even though I had one for travel elsewhere, I never carried a passport for travel within North America. Now I never travel anywhere outside Canada without it, and I don't have to worry about last minute changes in foreign admissibility requirements.

Could you make it a Christmas present?

Here's a long but interesting thread about what can go wrong. Different circumstances, but I think that the second post says it all:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1790403

Edited by Fouremco

Hi,

I was told by Celebrity that my 15 yeard old would need Government ID and A birth Certificate or a passport to sail on a closed loop cruise, Ft, Lauderdale to Cozumel to Key West to Ft. Lauderdale. Is this true?

In the past we just used a Birth Certificate, since she is not a driver and is not getting her permit yet, she won't have a Drivers License to show as picture ID. All we have is a birth certificate. Did Celebrity give me the correct information?

I do not know what the DMV in Florida issues but in Oregon you can go to the local DMV and get Non-Driver Photo ID...older people who no longer drive often get this kind of State Identification for many purposes such as voting and traveling. Check it out.

We bought our daughter her first passport when she was 20 months old. A worthwhile investment. Never have to worry when the next cruise comes. She's now on her second one.

Remember if you don't have a passport for your 15yo, if there is an emergency and you need to leave the cruise early, whether on the ship or home, the 15yo cannot get back into the country.

Why not just get the Passport? I don't understand why people who are willing to pay for a cruise won't pay for a passport. Leaving our country without one - is probably fine 99.9% of the time - but why chance that. Young or old - get a passport!

Get a passport. Full stop.

I can not believe how people still think they can visit foreign countries without any legal ID that is accepted in these countries:rolleyes:

The Caribeean is not the USA, it are Independant islands/ countries or part of the EU ( Europe)!

It is a service towards the cruiselines that most islands do not require passport information from cruisers, but if you miss the ship or the ship goes tech, you WILL get into trouble and Will not be able to fly home without obtaining a oassport or lots of effort from the US embassy/consulate.

Get a Passport.

Remember if you don't have a passport for your 15yo, if there is an emergency and you need to leave the cruise early, whether on the ship or home, the 15yo cannot get back into the country.
I'll start by saying that I've had a valid passport in force for over forty years and would never consider leaving the country without my passport (but if I had an Enhanced Drivers License, and lived by the border and was just going over for the day, I'd use that).

I encourage people to get a passport. However saying that a US citizen "cannot get back in the country" without a passport undercuts your argument. It may increase your hassle at the border, but the US will not and may not deny a US citizen admission to the US. (On the other hand, convincing an airline to let you on-board is another issue.) Many people who have been on scheduled closed-loop cruises which aborted in another country (such as the Carnival Dream in Sint Maarten Mar 2012 or the Grandeur of the Seas in the Bahamas May 2013) had no trouble getting back in the US without a passport.

Thom

I recognize that it is nearly painful to purchase a 5-year child's passport when your DD will qualify for an adult one in just a few months. Many of us have been there.

I recommend that you do so anyway. The passport will be good for 5 years, and will make getting the next one easier. The passport will establish her right to a driver's license, will be the only document needed to fill out paperwork to get a job, and will let her sail no questions asked.

Being the parent of two young adults myself, (mine are 17 and 19) I've learned that them having passports really is easier.

They used them to get their driving permits as well as licenses, as the passports established citizenship as well as residency (using the envelope the passport was mailed back in). The passport established their right to be employed, even when I could not locate a SS card but had the number for one of them. Plus, it made speeding through the line upon re-entry to the US very easy the one time we took them in a cruise. Since we all 4 had passports, the customs official glanced at them and waved us on. They looked a little closer at the DL & BC people.

The one time I sent my 15-yr old across the country by plane without me, he used his passport as his ID at check in and security, since he didn't have other ID. If we have been with him, no ID would have been needed, but since he was traveling alone, he needed it.

The passport really does make life easier.

Sigh. Allow me to answer the question you ASKED, not the one you didn't.

If your child is a US citizen under the age of 16, she needs only a US issued birth certificate (from a state, not from a hospital).

Best of luck to you.

No need to sigh or be snarky. The OP's question asked was answered in the third post. Providing additional good advice is usually seen as a good thing; too bad you don't see it that way.

celebrity said EITHER a passport OR the combination of the birth certificate and government issued ID. Their website added that if under 16 the birth certificate alone is sufficient. I think that is the answer. Too bad the CSR didn't say that

As always the X website is confusing and difficult to understand. When you click on the FAQ http://www.celebritycruises.com/footer/faq.do#domesticSailings for domestic sailings you also get the following information if you scroll down a little. This information is different and is probably what the CSR is referring to. It makes no further reference to any age.

While some people may have gone overboard in their enthusiasm of a passport I think this wording hi-lites that a birth certificate may not be enough. My motto is better safe than not being allowed on the ship!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sea Travel (for U.S. and Canadian citizens only)

For voyages that begin and end in the same U.S. Port, U.S. citizens may travel with both a Government-issued birth certificate** and Government-issued picture ID card, such as a driver's license.

**A 'birth certificate' is issued by a government agency (state, county, city, etc.). This document (with seal and signature) is legal proof of citizenship that can be used by U.S. citizens for certain international travel. A 'birth notice' is issued by a hospital or other type of medical facility but it is not an approved travel document. It is a courtesy document that merely indicates where a birth occurred. It has no legal status and cannot be used to prove citizenship for international travel purposes.

Get a passport. Full stop.

I can not believe how people still think they can visit foreign countries without any legal ID that is accepted in these countries:rolleyes:

The Caribeean is not the USA, it are Independant islands/ countries or part of the EU ( Europe)!

It is a service towards the cruiselines that most islands do not require passport information from cruisers, but if you miss the ship or the ship goes tech, you WILL get into trouble and Will not be able to fly home without obtaining a oassport or lots of effort from the US embassy/consulate.

Get a Passport.

Excellent post!! I also agree with "Fouremco", it will be a great Christmas gift!

There are well over 50 varieties of official US birth certificates [50 states, DC, insular possessions, US Consulate forms for overseas births of US citizen, and probably others that I have not listed - and I bet most of those come in multiple forms depending on when they were issued]. Some have raised seals, some don't, some have both long and short forms, etc. Then there are "Hospital Birth Certificates", christening records, etc which will not pass if the cruise line knows what it is doing. Unless every closed loop check-in site has someone with a lot of experience in Birth Certificates I'm not sure how the cruise line knows what is valid and what is not. Some cases are pretty clear cut, but many cases are not. A BIG advantage of getting a passport is that you get to find out if you have a birth certificate that passes muster while sitting in the relative comfort of the Passport Office, and you still have time to get the real thing if what you have is insufficient. Much better than still discussing it with the check in agent at the pier while your ship sails away. Finally I will note that just because that "Maybe" Birth Certificate worked on the last cruise, that doesn't guarantee that it will be accepted this time.

The Birth Certificate route works well for many people, but personally I'm carrying my passport.

Thom

The one time I sent my 15-yr old across the country by plane without me, he used his passport as his ID at check in and security, since he didn't have other ID. If we have been with him, no ID would have been needed, but since he was traveling alone, he needed it.

The passport really does make life easier.

I just (as in last month) sent my 15.5 year old across the country (from NJ to San Jose, CA) and he did not fly with an adult. Even changed planes in Midway. And he DID NOT take his passport. He used his school issued picture ID.

So a minor travelling alone does not NEED a passport as ID. The fact that your son had no other form of picture ID and only had a passport means that he used it BECAUSE he had no other ID...not because he NEEDED the passport.

I just wanted to clarify what might be confusing to others.

My travel agent has informed me she travels with her under 16 year old children all the time on closed loop cruises and that no adult nor child need a passport only an original birth certificate and a picture ID (for adults) - Birth certificate for children only. The ship is going to key west and Cozumel but back and forth from ft. Lauderdale.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Tapatalk

My travel agent has informed me she travels with her under 16 year old children all the time on closed loop cruises and that no adult nor child need a passport only an original birth certificate and a picture ID (for adults) - Birth certificate for children only. The ship is going to key west and Cozumel but back and forth from ft. Lauderdale.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Tapatalk

I hope your travel agent is willing to cover your costs if Celebrity doesn't follow what has worked for her in the past. The ONLY way to know what your daughter can use is for Celebrity to tell you what they consider acceptable. Unless you get that in writing (or is crystal clear on the website (which it isn't)) you are taking your chances.

Travel rules/guidelines change all the time and just because something worked before doesn't mean it will work in the future. The documents and paperwork I have needed to travel have changed dramatically over the past few years.

I hope this works for you.

Edited by RickT