Disengaged staff????

lovey1103

Hi I just got off the Caribbean princess out of Houston.Traveled solo had the best room steward I have ever had and I have done many cruises.Always checking to see if I needed anything or if I was okay Geraldo from the Caribbean princess on the caribe deck was the best ever

My last cruise on the Star was the BEST crew and staff ever. We had a terrific room steward and our MDR staff were amazing!

Overall, I have been really lucky on cruises. I have gotten great room stewards and dining staff. I feel very fortunate!

Maintaining our communication with maitre d' staff we have learned that there are certain management teams that are sent into the game so to speak when morale is low and service is suffering. They were known for their successes. But word has it that even they are reaching a point where retirement that was once declined to extend an enjoyable working life is now looking enticing. Some of the cruising industry tried to be all things to all people and we are seeing the results of that in bookings and pricing but most of all in morale.

I think you may be on to something here, as crew members with family or friends in that area of the world may be wondering what has happened to their loved ones, with poor communications to the affected areas. They would be dealing with some serious stress.

To the OP: Was the steward from a country affected by a disaster ?

Our cruise was well before.

Why did you have to 'ask for laundry service' ?

I have always just filled the bag and left it on the bed or outside the door, never had to ask for it.

I have had some great stewards and some just OK stewards, but all have done what was needed. As others have said it could be the end of their contract, but equally they might just be having an 'off period', family trouble, issues with other staff on board. I'm sure some people will say it's no excuse, but the staff on ship are humans as well, and that seems to be forgotton by some who think they are robots who's minds should only be on pleasing the passenger and answering to all their demands and never have any other thoughts at all. (I'm not saying that of you OP but on some of the other boards on here it certainly seems to be the case for some people)

I know on occasion when I go to work during one of my 'off' periods I'm not the sweetness and light that I usually am, and I am sure that there is not a single person on here that can claim otherwise for themselves either.

Laundry must be ready by 9am for next day delivery. We were not usually out of our cabin by 9am so we delivered it to the steward.

Returned from a 10 night cruise on Diamond Princess just over 3 weeks ago after a gap of 3 years.

We were not sure what to expect but were most impressed by the service we received. There were plenty of staff and in the buffet they were quick to clear tables and always offered to get drinks etc for us. They were friendly and helpful. Our cabin steward kept our room immaculately and responded to a couple of requests immediately. He was efficient but not 'in your face' which is what we like. Considering many of the crew must have been anxiously waiting for news of loved ones at home following the devastating storm in the Philippines they never let their worries show and continued to offer the very best service.

Service in the MDR on anytime dining was a little slow but that can happen on any ship.

The whole cruise has restored our faith in Princess and we would not hesitate to book again. I am sorry to hear of your experience, and know that ships can differ greatly - often as the result of senior management.

This is exactly the same experience we just had on our Thanksgiving Cruise on the Emerald. It was so nice to see smiling faces everywhere and to always be greeted and addressed as "Ma'am" and "Sir" no "You Guys" anywhere!

Our cruise was well before.
Before Nov 8 - that would mean it was close to the end of a lot of crew members contracts with the season change.

Sorry to hear you had such a negative experience. Out of our 22 cruises we've only had a sub-par steward once, but we know it can happen.

We use the ship's laundry on our cruises and often will see our laundry bag still on the housekeeping cart later in the day even with the 9 am deadline. it is not an issue for getting our laundry back in time

Edited by Times Prince

Laundry must be ready by 9am for next day delivery. We were not usually out of our cabin by 9am so we delivered it to the steward.
You don't have to do that. I just stick it outside my door first thing in the morning with the laundry slip. It's usually gone within minutes. No need to track down your steward.

We finished our 11 day B2B on the Caribbean Princess about a month ago and as usual, we found the staff to be hard working and attentive as always. The MDR staff was, as usual, smiling, happy and eager to please. Our Steward was also attentive-to the point my DW felt sorry for him.

The drink servers were all great-with one exception-one evening we ordered some ginger tea from the International Cafe and the server said it wasn't available until later. I noticed a tea pot on a nearby table and went to the IC and ordered the tea myself. It came right up. After that, however, she was better and she was always smiling when we saw her....apparently, she knew we caught her and tried to make up for it.

Other than that one instance it was all great.with the staff.

I have been on about 15 cruises over several lines. We have had a range of service from the extreme bad service to the funniest most caring crew ever. I think customer service standards start with the management. If you have a weak management team the service will suffer.

That said no matter what anyone says automatic tips are not real tips, they are really a service charge that the cruise lines use to pay the crew. If you tip a server in a restaurant when you have terrible service, why would the service improve when the person knows they will get paid no matter how bad they are at their job?

If you have bad service, you should always ask to speak to the manager and express your problem. Sometimes they never know that something is going wrong because no one tells them.

It really bothers me to tip someone who gives poor service.

That said no matter what anyone says automatic tips are not real tips, they are really a service charge that the cruise lines use to pay the crew.

Actually, on Princess they are real tips.

Prior to having anytimne dining, there were no automatic tips. Instead, there was a suggested tipping amount wor cabin steward, waitstaff, etc.

With anytime dining, one could have a different serving staff each evening which made last evening tipping difficult and hardly anyone carries around cash for tipping every evening. So that is when Princess introduced the automatic tips. The amount of the auomatic tip was exactly the same as the sum of the previously suggested tips.

Of course the amount of the automatic tip is higher now than then, but it is still real tips.

Edited by caribill

We certainly have had from one extreme to the other over the years when it comes to service - but for the most part if we took an interest, so did the staff.

The only two staff who are even worth mentioning as being rude were a room steward (clearly he hated his job) and a Maitre'd who was in his last week of his contract (the new Maitre'd who was overlapping with him followed him around and apologized continually for his counterpart).

Overall we have received excellent service for the past twenty plus years but the shorter the cruise the less invested we have found the crew in providing anything above and beyond. And of course the longer the cruise, the more opportunity they have of learning your particular likes, dislikes and preferences.

We have taken over 20 cruises withy Princess and have also cruised on other lines. We are always so impressed with the service we receive on Princess. Our waiters in traditional dining are always friendly, efficient, out to please, and often fun. I can only think of one exception, and I think the waiter was just frazzled by one very demanding passenger who was seated at our table. The guy had the staff running up to the buffet to get things being served there and not in the MDR, and found fault with everything. He did this so much that service to everyone else at our table suffered. As for cabin stewards, they have all been smiling, pleasant, and very hard-working. We always have a big smile for them when they introduce themselves the first day, and we are friendly everytime we see them. They go out of their way to do extra things for us without our ever asking.

On short cruises, the staff doesn't have time to get to know you, so they can't give the personalized service we have received on longer cruises. After just a couple of days, on longer cruises the waiters, drink servers, etc. know you and many times will anticipate what you want before you ask for it. On the really short cruises, you are on and off so quickly that I am sure there is less effort to try to learn their passengers.

I can't imagine needing laundry service for a 3-4 day cruise, unless my luggage didn't make it aboard. We have taken 35-40 day cruises and have done laundry or used the laundry service maybe every 7-10 days.

This is truly the key. A poorly run department can have a huge effect on employee morale and demeanor (and vice versa, of course).

That said, with over 1000 crew members on a ship, the simple law of averages means that a certain number of them have to be sub par. In general, I have found most cruise staff to be generally good but there are always exceptions.

And it must be noted, specifically NOT in respect to the original or any other posters, how a passenger treats crew can not only have an effect on their own service, but possibly others.

I have been on about 15 cruises over several lines. We have had a range of service from the extreme bad service to the funniest most caring crew ever. I think customer service standards start with the management. If you have a weak management team the service will suffer.

Might I mention Bulldog and Cruiserus that DH and I had been traveling for several days prior to our cruise. My DH is disabled and yes, does require more frequent clothing changes. I shan't apologize or accept your snarkiness for using the laundry service.

The End!

Edited by lovey1103

I spent a total of 42 days cruising on Princess ships this year, and on none of those days were the staff and crew anything but outstanding, in terms of the level of service and in displaying a great attitude. They work long hours, and they work hard to please us, and it never ceases to amaze me that they remain as cheerful and helpful as they do.

JMHO

I believe the lack of service has come with the implement of prepaid gratuities. They don't have to work for their tips anymore. They know they are guaranteed to receive them.

On our October cruise, my husband gave the room steward extra cash. He did a great job and had a very humorous attitude. We told him he did a great job and felt that he deserved extra in addition to the prepaid tips. He said, "Tips? That's my salary."

It sort of took me by surprise.

Technically they are tips because they can be removed (and there are a number of reasons why they have to be that way - mostly related to taxing and agency fees)

Functionally, given that the expectation is they will remain on, they are effectively part of their expected compensation total. The crew pretty much counts them as normal income, then extra tips are above and beyond in the true manner of tips.

On our October cruise, my husband gave the room steward extra cash. He did a great job and had a very humorous attitude. We told him he did a great job and felt that he deserved extra in addition to the prepaid tips. He said, "Tips? That's my salary."

I can see why that attitude develops. Since now they are collected by the company and paid out during the normal pay period it is easy for the staff to consider them "salary", and not tips.

Just got home from a short 3 day cruise on the Golden. I wasn't impressed with the service at all. On our last night, we had a great waitstaff. However, the first two nights were not good. They were completely uninterested in us as guests and our orders and simple sodas were constantly messed up. As for our steward, it was hit and miss, just like the waitstaff. We saw our steward only once at the beginning, things that were requested were never brought, and cleaning was missed twice. I can only imagine the turnaround time for these short cruises, but I'm sad to say I was let down. However, our Caribe balcony was wonderful (but, of course it wasn't very clean). My parents who also took this cruise with us, will be elite on their next cruise, they didn't seem happy with the dinning room staff either.