FotoPeg ~ live from the Viking Rinda

Bet & Peg

...well almost! We are actually in Basel, Switzerland today and tomorrow and board the Ronda on Saturday, Dec 7th. I decided to begin today since so many begin or end their cruise in this lovely city.

We arranged our air flights through Viking and both left and arrived within minutes of their schedule - hurray! And our trek through CDG to change planes proved much easier than I has feared! The flight from CDG to Basel was only an hour 5 minutes and in a smaller regional plane. I don't know if its usual but we boarded by walking out onto the tarmac (perfectly safe) and up the stairs - just something to be prepared for - big difference having to carry your "carry-on" luggage rather than just rolling it!! (We've run into this often flying intra-Europe.) Sometimes it just helps to be mentally prepared.

Getting into Basel was very, very easy - the #50 bus runs from the airport to the RR Station and we'd staying at the Hotel Euler just across the street! And best part the ride its free if you have a confirmed reservation at a Basel hotel! Ride took about 20 minutes and there was space for suitcases within the bus and wide doors.

The hotel is very nice, room & bathroom plenty large - I have a feeling we're being spoiled compared to what our cruse cabin will be!!

Even thought we were tired, we walked over to near one of the Christmas Markets mainly to have lunch at Zum Brannan Metz, a historic pub that proved worth the walking!!! We used the tram to return to the hotel and after a short sleep took it back to enjoy an enchanting evening at the CMS!!! Trams are free with a visitor's card from the hotel - a great idea!!

Magical - Magical ~ the only adjective that really sums up the CM we went to! Between the lights, and the smell of glugwein mixed with other foods, and the music ~ just magical!!! We has an evening snack at Weihnachtsstubi - a house-like structure at the CM full of local people celebrating - lots of fun sitting together!!

Truly tired but feeling great as our adventure has really begun!!

Will try to add a photo - advance apologies if it doesn't work!

IMG_9914.jpg.9d9fb4b89790b7f441bf1c579f8c3398.jpg

Hi Peg,

So glad your adventure is beginning. I will surely live vicariously thru your blog, since we missed this same trip in Oct due to my getting ill. I'm now rethinking it, and considering doing this itinerary during the Christmas markets (2014 or 2015), so I'm especially looking forward to your comments.

Have fun!!

We did this trip in August, so no Christmas markets, but it was great. We stayed at the Hotel Gotthard, which I think is next door to the Euler, across from the main train station.

I never saw them check tickets on the tram, great way to get around. We got a large taxi from the Basel airport since there were 6 of us and lots of luggage, but still easy. Where are the Christmas markets held in Basel?

Have a great trip! Looking forward to reading all about it.

Pam

Basel, day 2 dawned wet - but before breakfast the sun began a day-long battle with the dark clouds which it, thankfully, won!! But a cold wind entered and made us all happy for the heavy clothes we brought!! It's comfortably cold - and dry!!

I am cooking very grateful for all the wonderful suggestions I had the good sense to adopt! I packed my boots and heavy coat in my carry-on which was perfect since the plane was extremely warm and I never missed my heavy coat! I had a velour jacket that was just perfect and not having to carry a heavy coat made transferring planes much easier!

Those who mentioned the Basel train station ~ a sincere Thank You - it was a lifesaver - fabulous chocolate stores, post cards, and breakfast places! And SO close to the hotel!!

Christmas Markets ~ they are in two areas which are close but very different. The larger one - Barfusserplatz we visited last evening. It was high energy, crowded, and magical with all the lights and smells, ect. Today we went to Munsterplatz located next to the Basel Cathedral or Munster - which is beautiful inside and worth a short visit! This market is smaller but the stalls are all more decorative and interesting! They also were finishing a children's area! Its not a true judge since we were at the second market during the day but it seemed more "laid-back". Both are SO interesting and I'm SO happy we had time to visit both!

Off to a fondue dinner - here's a view of the Rhine from the Cathedral!!

BaselRhineRiver.jpg.a09804fd1ccce729f09b8233be63e5ab.jpg

Looking forward to following along on your cruise - thanks so much for the posts and photos. Hope you continue to have a wonderful time :)

I'm thinking of a Rhine cruise in the near future and am wondering about the direction Basel to Amsterdam vs. the other way around. If you or any of the other posters who mentioned doing the same cruise have opinions on that I'm all ears (or eyes!). Thanks!

Sorry for not posting more! There's just not enough time plus I've found its near impossible to even send e-mails with photos attached while sailing - they get stuck in me outbox until the next time we're in port and I turn on the Tablet!! And when we're in port there's just too much to do - or its during the night and we're sleeping!!

But so far its been a fabulous cruise!!!

Hello Peg,

according to marinetraffic you are not alone in Rüdesheim tonight! Right next to you is the Viking Forseti. I could not see anybody on rollcall on that ship. Have you met some fellow Viking travellers?

Enjoy the Middley Rhine Valley with all its castles tommorrow.

notamermaid

notamermaid ~ Rudesheim was packed with ship's and people!! But we had a fabulous time - decided to go with the Viking optional package and had dinner at the Rudesheim Schloss - good dinner and much fun afterwards with singing and dancing!!!

The Forseti was docked next to us - funny that we'll be aboard her in October for a French Bordeaux cruise!!! But she's just like the Rinda so we didn't stop aboard!!

Yes, we are looking forward to the middle Rhine cruise! Haven't met anyone on board who's on CC but have met some really nice people!!!!