Scam call

missypriss19

Just got a call from 312-585-5404 stating that I won a free cruise on Carnival. When I asked who he worked for he said Carnival. When I told him that this was not Carnival's phone number he said he worked for their call center. When I questioned him further and asked for more information he hung up. :D

Dang scammers. Watch out for these scam calls. :mad:

I hate scammers, no matter who they say they're "working" for.

I got one of those calls from "Rachel from Card Services" not too long ago. When I asked which credit card they were calling about, the guy on the phone gave the name of one I don't have. When I asked him to take me off whatever list I was on, he informed me it would cost me $700.:eek::mad: I told him that he was crazy, I wasn't paying some huge amount of money to get off a list I didn't want to be on in the first place and the guy started cussing me out.:confused:

Just got a call from 312-585-5404 stating that I won a free cruise on Carnival. When I asked who he worked for he said Carnival. When I told him that this was not Carnival's phone number he said he worked for their call center. When I questioned him further and asked for more information he hung up. :D

Long before we had such things as call centers, P.T. Barnum said it best. "There's a sucker born every minute." So long as there are always people gullible enough to be swindled out of their money, there will always be scammers ready to take someone's money.:(

I had one of those calls a year or so ago saying I had won a free cruise. I let him talk and when he finally told me how much taxes and port fees would cost me, I laughed at him and told him that I could book my own cruise for half the cost he was quoting me. :eek:

I also got one from a guy that said he was with the Cruise Wholesale Department featuring Carnival Cruise lines. When he introduced himself, he put the emphasis on cruise and wholesale and then Carnival. Because there was a lot going on, I missed the word featuring. He started some spiel about the cruise ships not wanting to sail empty and how the whole cruise industry is changing. I began to realize the guy was NOT from Carnival so I stopped him and asked who he was with again. Again, he told me Cruise Wholesale Dept "featuring" Carnival Cruise lines. I thanked him but said I had my own PVP with Carnival and I would be doing business with them and hung up.

Edited by chasinraynbowz

Long before we had such things as call centers, P.T. Barnum said it best. "There's a sucker born every minute." So long as there are always people gullible enough to be swindled out of their money, there will always be scammers ready to take someone's money.:(

Although often attributed to PT Barnum, the phrase "There's a sucker born every minute" was actually said by banker David Hannum. Just sayin'.

Although often attributed to PT Barnum, the phrase "There's a sucker born every minute" was actually said by banker David Hannum. Just sayin'.

Guess they find enugh suckers to keep them in business.

Used to get post card showinga 7 day cruise leaving from Seattle and stopping at St Thomas.

We've been getting between five and ten scam calls, per week, for years now. We also got the "won a free cruise call" earlier this year and numerous calls from "Rachel" from Card Services, among others. We tried playing games with them (strange questions/answers; answering the phone "Hola" then "no habla ingles"; telling them to hold while I get the person they ask for, DH or myself, and leaving the phone off the hook; waiting until the actual person got on the phone and answering with a remote control whoopie cushion; etc.) but the more we did that, the more it irritated them to the point where some would call every 15 minutes for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours after the initial call. Unfortunately we can only block 5 calls at a time so we're just not answering the phone for numbers we don't recognize. There are also a lot of charity scams claiming to be looking for donations for cancer research. These calls will never stop as long as there are suckers out there.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

We've been getting between five and ten scam calls, per week, for years now. We also got the "won a free cruise call" earlier this year and numerous calls from "Rachel" from Card Services, among others. We tried playing games with them (strange questions/answers; answering the phone "Hola" then "no habla ingles"; telling them to hold while I get the person they ask for, DH or myself, and leaving the phone off the hook; waiting until the actual person got on the phone and answering with a remote control whoopie cushion; etc.) but the more we did that, the more it irritated them to the point where some would call every 15 minutes for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours after the initial call. Unfortunately we can only block 5 calls at a time so we're just not answering the phone for numbers we don't recognize. There are also a lot of charity scams claiming to be looking for donations for cancer research. These calls will never stop as long as there are suckers out there.

The sad part is these companies just ignore the do not call list.

Smart move! Unfortunately the scammers always find someone who looses all common sense they ever had when someone dangles the word "free".

My husband and I love to play games with these scammers. One or both of us would LOVE to go! Can you schedule us before our appearance in Federal court next week? Or before my murder trial? We come up with great stories. Sometimes we scream at pretend children in the background or setup elaborate time consuming stories and endless questions to the caller about the cruise details. Funny how few of these calls we get now...

Guess they find enugh suckers to keep them in business.

Used to get post card showinga 7 day cruise leaving from Seattle and stopping at St Thomas.

I wanna go on that cruise... 7 days??..................can you see Russia from the ship, or does it go through the canal??????:confused: Wonderful itinerary, but not all ports are guaranteed!:eek:

It's worth the extra money to have caller ID. If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer. If it is legit they will leave a message. No more wasting time with these people who you pretty much have to hang up on to get off the phone.

We also got the "won a free cruise call" earlier this year and numerous calls from "Rachel" from Card Services, among others.

I think we have all gotten the call from "Rachel". When I asked which card it was, they hung up on me. The second time when I got tired of hitting "9" to be removed, I played along and ask the lady how to get my number removed from their system. Her reply was "Der ain't nuttin you can do!" and hung up on me.

As far as the DNC list, I went to their site to report "Rachel's" number and the site basically said that they were so swamped with complaints that there wasn't anything they could do to stop the callers. So I just gave up and quit answering the phone if I didn't recognize the number. Unfortunately, it causes missed calls from people that I should have taken the call and didn't recognize thier cell phone number.

It's worth the extra money to have caller ID. If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer. If it is legit they will leave a message. No more wasting time with these people who you pretty much have to hang up on to get off the phone.

I only have a mobile phone and see the numbers.

If its a crazy area code I dont know I let it go to voice mail.

Usually its a BS call and they hang up w/o leaving a message.

If Im booked on a CCL cruise and see a 305 call, I usually pick up to see what they want.

Although you think it's funny to keep them on the phone and waste their time....the truth is that most of the callers are just minimum wage earners trying to make a few dollars.

I just tell them I'm not interested...and hang up.

You are so right MsTabbyKats. I am not proud to say it but I worked in a call center. Hey a job is a job and sometimes we do what we have to do to make a living.

As an employee you are pushed to keep someone on the phone and sell. However, the kindest thing you can do is just say "please take me off your list I am not interested" and then hang up.

BTW it was the worst job I have ever had but kept a roof over our head and food in our tummies when I went back to school.

My husband and I love to play games with these scammers. One or both of us would LOVE to go! Can you schedule us before our appearance in Federal court next week? Or before my murder trial? We come up with great stories. Sometimes we scream at pretend children in the background or setup elaborate time consuming stories and endless questions to the caller about the cruise details. Funny how few of these calls we get now...

We do the same. Really love to get them going and then they finally hang up on us! We seem to get very few calls now and darn, we did look forward to them.:D

Although you think it's funny to keep them on the phone and waste their time....the truth is that most of the callers are just minimum wage earners trying to make a few dollars.

I just tell them I'm not interested...and hang up.

We dont want the calls and we are on the do not call list. Unfortunately many companies dont bother to check the list before calling.

Rather tiresome to be doing something and be interrupted by this, especially when quite often it is a machine dialing and there is no person available to pick up.