Which camera will do best on a cruise?

cunardaddict

I have read so many questions to prepare for a cruise. A lot of helpful answers are given as most of the users here have an intese experience.

I am a professional photographer and I feel I have to contribute to a question that rarely comes up. It seems to me, that this subject is not valued high enough - but dissapointing pictures may spoil the rmemebers of a cruise for long.

After more than 20 cruises I have seen a lot of variations. So far my share:

Forget all mobile phone and smartphone cameras. They may be good for a snapshot at your table, but none of them, not even the latest Nokia or Sony or Samsung (i use a S4 right now) are coping with tropical light, far distances or landscape. Cameras of i-Pads or any other pad are even worse. It only looks funny to see people running about holding their i-Pad in the direction the subject and taking pictures. The result may look fine on the display, but on a larger screen, a projector or printetd the look poor and light reflexes i.e. from the water may ruin it completely.

Off course I travel mostly with a professionel equipment, but a few smaller camerys will do fine. You do not need the latest stuff, the models of the last 2 years will do fine for another 5 years, no doubt.

So, what do you need?

Do not buy a camera with a plastic case, it may drop and brake into pieces.

To take pictures of subjects like the QM2 a very wide angel lense is essential - and most cameras do not provide this!

If you do a cruise with many sea days you may want to take pictures of fish. Then a decent tele lens is essential to - limiting your choice to only a few cameras at all now.

To take pictures of fish the camera has to provide a very fast and precise autofocus system, please do test it in the shop by taking pictures of subjects in varying distances by moving quickly around.

Do not buy a camera with a plastic lens - the reflexes of the water and the intense sun will ruin every photo. A maximal aperture of 2.8 should be OK.

As storage cards with low capacity will be unavailable soon do not by a camera that is only capble to use cards up to 16GB or even less!

Settings: Ask your dealer to set the camery sensitivity to a limit auf 200 to 400 ASA, anaything above this should only be used for night shots. Do not use the automatic sensitivity choice. Lear to use the variuos programm modes and how to stop the flash. flashing on distances of more than 2-3 meters is useless.

You will need: Portrait settings, landscape settings, sports (for the fish! or anything moving quick like taking pictures out of the moving tour bus), sunset setting, snow setting (when you are on the ocean!), night setting (best with a tripod or a monopod) and a shadow cap for the display as an extra.

If your dealer want's to talk you into one of the new small system cameras with interchangable lense - don't buy it if you are not shure what you are doing. A camera with an traditional optical viewer is definitely an advantage in difficult light situations.

If mone matters, buy last year's model of the top range. I am still happy with a panasonic TZ1. I dropped it many times, it looks terrible now but pictures and movies are fine.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you very much for this post. You have given me some good points to think about when taking photos during my world voyage next month. As I already have my camera, I have time before the cruise to play with the settings.

Don

Interesting post that provokes a bit of thought. After 20+ years of carrying heavy SLR equipment around, I've found the perfect solution for my needs. Apart from cruising, I do a lot of walking in the mountains and I like to have a camera in a pocket that can be used in a few seconds. I also like a camera that is capable of standing up to the weather.

I own a Panasonic TZ8 and an Olympus Tough TG1 and I took both on our summer cruise to Norway. Both cameras performed very well, but the Leica lens of the Panasonic gave slightly better results. I'll take both with me to Norway in Feb/March, but I'll probably use the Olympus most because of it being waterproof and freeze proof. The Olympus also allows a lot more video to be taken in comparison with the Panasonic.

Border Reiver mentions abandoning his heavy SLR for a smaller, lighter camera, something that I think is getting to be trend as smaller cameras with excellent capabilities are becoming available.

I am about to experiment with doing the same, using a Canon S100 with full manual capabilities on a short trip to London and then on the TA back to NY. I decided that for walking around a city, I want a pocketable camera, not something which will mark me out as a tourist. For another European cruise next spring, I am considering taking my DSLR because I will be in a tour bus or rental car in largely tourist venues.

The larger sensor of the DSLR does greatly improve picture quality, but there are times when it just doesn't make sense. I'm beginning to see the truth of the notion that the good camera that you have with you trumps the excellent camera that you didn't bother to take because of its size or weight.

There are so many variables. Young fit people may have no problem carrying a dslr and lenses, older people would need to consider a lighter option, and its also important to match the camera to the finished result. For many years as a photo club member I printed as standard to print size 20"x16" and have now gone to the modern A3 size. If that's what you wish to do then, yes a top range dslr with quality lenses would be what you would need. Modern pro. prints are of of startling quality from this combination.

But I don't think many would need that quality. I have done tests comparing A4 prints from a dslr and a reasonable quality compact. You would struggle to pick them out.

As for fish, presumably we are talking dolphins whales etc taken from the deck, I would say "best of luck" with those shots. Seabirds are much easier: turn off the auto focus and set the lens to infinity f11.

And we should never forget that we are on holiday /vacation and we don't need to capture everything. It's too easy to view the entire cruise through your viewfinder.

Often it's not all about the equipment, the most important nut on a camera is the guy standing behind it.

David.

OTOH, I was happy to drag my Canon 70D around the Eastern Med. Particularly useful was HDR shooting (actually the setting for Hand Held Night, which was 4 HDR shots) inside the Vatican Museum where flash was not allowed. And in Pompeii. And using DSLRs for video is producing some stunning results.

The most important thing for occasional photographers is to learn the camera settings well enough to let the camera work for you. Today even the most basic cameras are advanced enough to deliver better than workmanlike photography, if you learn the principals of good photography and set the camera correctly to help you get the shot you want.

A little quibble on "no plastic." There is of course, plastic and there is polycarbonate. Polycarb bodies are extremely rugged and easy to water seal. Think about trying to tear up a motorcycle helmet.

Also, some advice on memory cards. The big disadvantage to really big memory cards is that you can store your entire trip on one card. That's great...unless your camera is stolen or lost. Then you've lost the entire trip.

I carried one 32GB card for each day of the trip (I was shooting a lot vid and all the photos, except HDR, were in RAW, so they were big), and kept the "exposed" cards in our cabin safe. Each day I'd remove the card and put in a fresh one as part of my battery procedures and camera checks.

On returning, my wife and I split the cards and carried them in our "around the neck" money and passport wallets.

After all, after all the bills for the trip are toted up, all you have left are the pix, so it pays to protect them.

Having said all that, the most common camera I saw on this trip were iPhone and iPads.

Edited by rhkennerly

If your dealer want's to talk you into one of the new small system cameras with interchangable lense - don't buy it if you are not shure what you are doing. A camera with an traditional optical viewer is definitely an advantage in difficult light situations.!

Isn't that the truth? LCD screens held at 6 inches from your face are often difficult to see in bright sunlight and all but guarantee crooked shots.

The concept violates everything we know about a good shot 1. impossible to compose properly, 2. leaves the camera to free-float instead of locking it into a solid 3-point stance: elbows locked in, camera steadied against the forehead, 3.makes the controls difficult to work.

Probably good for studio work on a trippod maybe, but a really dumb field camera.

Also, some advice on memory cards. The big disadvantage to really big memory cards is that you can store your entire trip on one card. That's great...unless your camera is stolen or lost. Then you've lost the entire trip.

also a good point - and carry a spare loaded battery that can be loaded separately from the camera body.

Crossing the Panamacanal may cause more than 2 batteries used if you take movies...

I carried one 32GB card for each day of the trip (I was shooting a lot vid and all the photos, except HDR, were in RAW, so they were big), and kept the "exposed" cards in our cabin safe. Each day I'd remove the card and put in a fresh one as part of my battery procedures and camera checks.

I prefer more smaller memory cards as I had brought one large one with me and it died. Luckily it was only the second day of vacation and we were not yet on the ship. If it had died later on I would have been very upset.

Last cruise I downloaded each day's pictures onto my iPad but did not erase the card (just in case). Next cruise I may use Cunard's service of transferring pictures to a CD.

I prefer more smaller memory cards as I had brought one large one with me and it died. Luckily it was only the second day of vacation and we were not yet on the ship. If it had died later on I would have been very upset.

Last cruise I downloaded each day's pictures onto my iPad but did not erase the card (just in case). Next cruise I may use Cunard's service of transferring pictures to a CD.

I had a (cheap) memory card die on me after 3 days on one cruise. The ship's photography wizards managed to recover all my photos (over 200) onto a CD for me.

I buy top quality cards now.

I am about to experiment with doing the same, using a Canon S100 with full manual capabilities on a short trip to London and then on the TA back to NY. I decided that for walking around a city, I want a pocketable camera, not something which will mark me out as a tourist.

That's very important in some places. I can carry my two cameras in my pockets and nobody would even guess they were there.

An important note about carrying a camera in a pocket - unless it's in a soft case, make sure the pocket is spotlessly clean. My TZ8 sucked dust into the camera and onto the sensor through the action of the lens and there were dark spots on all photos. I was quoted £80 to have it cleaned, so I took the camera to bits and cleaned it myself.

That's how I lost a whole raft of photos once! Better to carry extra memory cards or download onto your own laptop/netbook. Aside from a DSLR, I have found a small pocket sized camera invaluable - in my case a Panasonic Lumix with good optical zoom. In some places it is not a good idea to flash a big camera and with a small one you can still take photos unobtrusively.

OTOH, I was happy to drag my Canon 70D around the Eastern Med. Particularly useful was HDR shooting (actually the setting for Hand Held Night, which was 4 HDR shots) inside the Vatican Museum where flash was not allowed. And in Pompeii. And using DSLRs for video is producing some stunning results.

The most important thing for occasional photographers is to learn the camera settings well enough to let the camera work for you. Today even the most basic cameras are advanced enough to deliver better than workmanlike photography, if you learn the principals of good photography and set the camera correctly to help you get the shot you want.

A little quibble on "no plastic." There is of course, plastic and there is polycarbonate. Polycarb bodies are extremely rugged and easy to water seal. Think about trying to tear up a motorcycle helmet.

On returning, my wife and I split the cards and carried them in our "around the neck" money and passport wallets.

After all, after all the bills for the trip are toted up, all you have left are the pix, so it pays to protect them.

Having said all that, the most common camera I saw on this trip were iPhone and iPads.

Apologies for a slight thread drift which might be gooble-de-gook to some folks but I see you mentioned HDR photography and this is something I want to 'play with' on our forth coming cruise.

I am NOT a fan of the 'arty' type HDR imagery but I have seen some beautiful, subtle shots of rooms,stationary vehicles etc and I amwondering if you could possibly offer me any tips or advice please?

josh2450 at hotmail.co.uk

If you are too busy then apologies for asking

Nice post cunardaddict

John

I have an expensive Olympus camera and a less expensive small Canon. It is an 'old' digital ixus and fits nicely in my pocket so it goes on holiday with me. Excellent photos and the most important thing is it has an optical viewfinder. No trying to see the screen in the sun and with my eyesight i would have to take my glasses of to do that anyway, just bring the camera to your eye, compose your picture, click....simple :)

I have an expensive Olympus camera and a less expensive small Canon. It is an 'old' digital ixus and fits nicely in my pocket so it goes on holiday with me. Excellent photos and the most important thing is it has an optical viewfinder. No trying to see the screen in the sun and with my eyesight i would have to take my glasses of to do that anyway, just bring the camera to your eye, compose your picture, click....simple :)

As with video cameras, it is becoming ever more difficult to find a compact camera with either an optical or electronic eye level viewfinder.

The trend for camera manufacturers to incorporate ever longer focal length lenses into a compact camera makes it even more of a necessity to buy a camera with image stabilisation- preferably optical.

In fact, for the average holiday maker, who just wishes to take photographs an older camera with an 8 megapixel sensor will be more than sufficient.

However, one real advantage with the advance in sensor technology is the ability to increase ASA ratings to high levels, and obtain excellent results without having to use flash.

Apologies for a slight thread drift which might be gooble-de-gook to some folks but I see you mentioned HDR photography and this is something I want to 'play with' on our forth coming cruise.

I am NOT a fan of the 'arty' type HDR imagery but I have seen some beautiful, subtle shots of rooms,stationary vehicles etc and I amwondering if you could possibly offer me any tips or advice please?

josh2450 at hotmail.co.uk

If you are too busy then apologies for asking

Nice post cunardaddict

John

I'm flattered you'd ask, John, but there's not much to tell.

1. know your camera and all it's setting, especially the "helper" setting like "scenes." I have "HDR" on my Canon, but it also had a automatic "scenes" setting called "Handheld Night Scene." Experimenting, I found that HDR shot 3 pix (one f+1, one f-1, one f-0) whereas the Handheld Night shot 4 pix, essentially --I think-- the same exposure shot 4 times. Then it composites into a jpg.

2. Brace. Lock in a solid position.

3. practice, practice, practice. There's not excuse with digital cameras: instant feedback. It's boring work, but set a scene and shoot the same shot with every "specialty" setting on your camera and compare. If your camera doesn't produce a EXIF file that will record the shutterspeed, aperture, and mode settings, do it old school with a paper and pencil. Then change the scene and conditions and do it all again.

I've attached two pix. One inside a house in Pompeii, late afternoon. The engravings on the ceiling were barely visible to the naked eye. A flash would have just flattened the details. Side lit from the door, there is definition. From the sound of the camera it was shooting at 1/30 in bursts of 4.

The other is inside the Vatican Museum, where flash is not allowed. Both were shot with Handheld Night Scene.

Hope this helps.

All the pix are here, if you want browse. https://secure.flickr.com/photos/rhkennerly/collections/72157637907906424/

Pompeii_26.jpg.912acf9795bcc8a522b74eac49bed9a5.jpg

Rome_7.jpg.303a34aa1064073c525d260d3019094b.jpg

Edited by rhkennerly

CC's thumbnails are impossibly small for these old eyes. one previous pix is obviously not a pix of the ceiling of the Vatican Museum. I've added three more from the Vatican below, all shot with "handheld night." Note how the side light adds detail to the friezes that a strobe would wash out.

Rome_60.jpg.480c6e3a72e187be09829f288fc4de1c.jpg

Rome_62.jpg.426e5266aaaf61fc566ef689d7107238.jpg

Rome_38.jpg.7c9767711c8c9255f2a8a511d726e0ce.jpg

I love the Canon A1000IS that I've had for three years now. Small enough to fit into a pocket, 10 mega pixels, video, and it runs on regular AA batteries. It's great not being tied to a charger, a pair of AA Lithiums last a long time, and carrying along a couple of spares is easy.

CC's thumbnails are impossibly small for these old eyes. one previous pix is obviously not a pix of the ceiling of the Vatican Museum. I've added three more from the Vatican below, all shot with "handheld night." Note how the side light adds detail to the friezes that a strobe would wash out.
I think I can make out those images and I am guessing we are singing from the same hymn sheet regarding what we want from HDR. I want these pictures to show as much detail as possible (like in those last picturesyou posted)

I am guessing I might take 5 images and use an HDR program to get as much from the picture as possible.

Night scenes sound interesting and I guess Iwill have to look for a constant, steady light source??

An important note about carrying a camera in a pocket - unless it's in a soft case, make sure the pocket is spotlessly clean. My TZ8 sucked dust into the camera and onto the sensor through the action of the lens and there were dark spots on all photos. I was quoted £80 to have it cleaned, so I took the camera to bits and cleaned it myself.

I think that this may be an issue with Panasonics. I have had three FH-5s suck dust into their works, with the most recent one being kept in a small hard-shell Vivitar case. I've had two Canon A720IS (it is the 8MP predecessor to pmb1's A100IS) which have lived in grungy pants and coat pockets, and not a speck of dust on the sensor. I'm hoping that this will be true for the S100.

I admire your ability to disassemble your camera; I wouldn't trust myself to do it. I envision putting the last screw back in the case as I close it up, and then noticing some piece of the camera still sitting on the table.

I am guessing I might take 5 images and use an HDR program to get as much from the picture as possible.

Night scenes sound interesting and I guess Iwill have to look for a constant, steady light source??

If your camera has an HDR setting, it will take the required number of pictures and merge them together on its own; there's no program which you have to use. From your point of view, you just get a picture with good shadow and highlight detail.

As to night scenes, if you can see it, you can probably photograph it. I don't think that the light source needs to be steady; I've seen good pictures of, for example, emergency vehicles with red or blue flashers going, or illuminated by the flames of a fire.

That's how I lost a whole raft of photos once! Better to carry extra memory cards or download onto your own laptop/netbook. Aside from a DSLR, I have found a small pocket sized camera invaluable - in my case a Panasonic Lumix with good optical zoom. In some places it is not a good idea to flash a big camera and with a small one you can still take photos unobtrusively.

Thanks for the warning.

Whilst I accept folks are recommending cameras, might I suggest that in this modern age we live in.. Technology is advancing at such a pace that we are seeing significant advances in possibly just two or so years and IF we can afford to, we might want to consider a fairly modern camera.

I do accept it can be suggested we are wasting money going for these small inprovements and our old cameras are perfectly adequate. A decent arguement until we compare what older cameras can do, compared to the latest offerings! Night time photography, waterproof, or dustproof cameras, the sharpness of the image, size etc.

The camera is a great tool for recording our memories :)

I think I can make out those images and I am guessing we are singing from the same hymn sheet regarding what we want from HDR. I want these pictures to show as much detail as possible (like in those last picturesyou posted)

You'll be surprised the light gathering potential of 3 or 4 shots, if you're steady. My rule with film was to always try. With digital, there's no reason not to. You can even check the results instantly.

Like say, know your camera before you go, so you have some idea what you can and cannot do when it comes to shooting.