San Juan

cruze610

Make that another vote for bringing back SJU as a embarkation port. It's still our absolute favorite with the warm weather and great islands to visit. If Princess doesn't come back there soon we'll be forced to try RC or Celebrity there

Another vote for San Juan!!!! We sailed every winter for over a dozen years from San Juan. The minute you arrive, the weather is usually fabulous. Not to mention the ports. Sail away on our balcony each night was a highlight. Air is not much different than to fll. Not a hassle to us, just a great warm-weather vacation. Bring back San Juan!!!

Janet

Another vote for San Juan!!!! We sailed every winter for over a dozen years from San Juan. The minute you arrive, the weather is usually fabulous. Not to mention the ports. Sail away on our balcony each night was a highlight. Air is not much different than to fll. Not a hassle to us, just a great warm-weather vacation. Bring back San Juan!!!

Janet

Same sentiments here. Almost always chose San Juan as the departure port for many years. It felt as though we were "already there" when sailing out of that beautiful port. Since Princess left San Juan, we haven't booked anything directly out of SJ except for a repo cruise on Celebrity. Please, please Princess...back to San Juan!

I really wish Princess would put a ship back in SJU. Even though we paid much more for our airfare than we did for our balcony cabins, we still would consider flying back to SJU simply because in the winter time, it is one of the only embarkation ports that starts you off immediately with hot weather!!! This alone in the winter months is enough to entice us to fly that far and pay that pricey airfare.

i agree, this was my favorite itinerary--love more port days at tropical places and starting off relaxed in the caribbean. maybe i'm spoiled from ny we have decent prices to san juan and many flights, but looking at air to ft lauderdale in january it's definitely getting close to same price these days!

definitely would consider summit for itinerary

I also am a lover of sailing from SJU. I enjoyed those itineraries for several years, the last few as b2b's. The last year was in 2010. I have kept an eye on the airfare over the past few years and it went as high as $650 RT for me (used to be around $375). I am now seeing a return to lower fares this year. I would love to see Princess return to Puerto Rico! If not, I might book Celebrity just to sail out of San Juan.

I just checked airfare fro SLC to FLL and SLC to SJU. $6.00 more to fly into San Juan vs Fort Lauderdale. But then again it's always expensive to fly from Utah to the East coast. Something we budget for in our vacation savings account.
Amazing.

I just checked on Travelocity and for a Sat - Sat round trip Jan 7, 2014 from Austin, TX it would cost me $669 to fly to Puerto Rico, and $260 to fly to Ft. Lauderdale. That's a difference of over $400 per person. That's getting close to being able to afford another cruise.

I do miss being able to go to Bonaire for snorkeling with our friends at Woodwind, though.

Edited by Times Prince

With the recent purchase of Airtran by Southwest Airlines, and the subsequent take over of the San Juan destination from Airtran, I believe you will again see decent airfare rates. Whenever Southwest enters a market, competition between Airlines heats up.

We too enjoy cruises from SJU, as we have tired of Eastern and Western itinerary's from Florida. We booked RCCL Adventure of the Seas for a February 9th departure out of SJU, and we are looking forward to visiting ports other than the typical Caribbean stops.

We would love to again sail out of San Juan on a Princess Ship in 2015, and our hopes are Princess will homeport in San Juan then!

Airfare to SJU needs to be monitored but it is often on sale for just a little more...and as mentioned the weather is warmer and the itineraries are so much better :)

I was sorry to see Princess leave SJU and just booked the Summit for 2015.

Amazing.

I just checked on Travelocity and for a Sat - Sat round trip Jan 7, 2014 from Austin, TX it would cost me $669 to fly to Puerto Rico, and $260 to fly to Ft. Lauderdale. That's a difference of over $400 per person. That's getting close to being able to afford another cruise.

I do miss being able to go to Bonaire for snorkeling with our friends at Woodwind, though.

Amazing...but not the case for us.

Well adding ships back to ski will shift the demand patterns for air and would likely drive those prices way up over where they are right now.

Further I believe operational costs (provisioning, bunkering fuel, moving crew)would all be significantly more expensive in sju than fll.

I liked sailing 7 days or doing PC from sju but experienced a horrific Xmas cruise from there too. Personally would love to see it added as port of call. And I think it's time for princess to shakeup the Caribbean itineraries. We are all board!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I don't fly so how would I get to San Juan to take a cruise from there - I will get to see it next year as an NCL repo is making a stop there.

With more and more people not wanting to fly or wanting to leave from a port close to home and with other lines going from there Princess likely feels as others has mentioned that there are more profitable itneraries that they can sell at a higher return.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Cheers

Dennis