The horse is dead so hand me that bat! Beverage policy clarification.

JulieRose

I tried to explain to my mother (who has been on HAL) my interpretation of the beverage policy based on what I have seen on these boards and the policy itself but she doesn't believe me.

We sail next weekend and have 2 points of contention;

1. The amount of wine permitted (per person, per cabin, doesn't matter)
  2. Whether or not we can bring a case of our preferred soda to enjoy in our stateroom.

I plan to show her this thread so I do not want to say what each of us believes the policy to be.

Have at it, folks! (And thank you in advance.)

Edited by JulieRose

Yes, you will be sailing before the new policy goes into effect.

You can bring all the wine, soda and water you want when you embark as well as from any port along the way.

Have a great cruise.

From the horse's mouth:

Current Policy effective through sailings departing before January 31, 2014:

Except for wine and champagne, guests may not bring hard alcohol on board for private consumption. Hard alcohol purchased on board in the duty free shops or in port will be collected, stored for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the voyage.

Guests can bring wine and/or champagne on board at embarkation or purchased in port. A corkage fee of US$18.00 applies to wine and champagne brought to the shipboard restaurants or bars for consumption. Wine and/or champagne brought on board cannot be consumed in any public venue. If a guest is drinking a beverage carried on board and in a public venue, they will be asked to return it to their stateroom.

Room Service offers reduced-price stateroom beverage packages for in-stateroom consumption of alcoholic beverages. A 15% Service Charge on all beverage items and packages with beverages will be added.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Shipboard+Life&contentMenu=Onboard+Policies&contentSubMenu=Can+I+Bring+Alcoholic+Beverages+Onboard?

I tried to explain to my mother (who has been on HAL) my interpretation of the beverage policy based on what I have seen on these boards and the policy itself but she doesn't believe me.

We sail next weekend and have 2 points of contention;

1. The amount of wine permitted (per person, per cabin, doesn't matter)
  2. Whether or not we can bring a case of our preferred soda to enjoy in our stateroom.

I plan to show her this thread so I do not want to say what each of us believes the policy to be.

Have at it, folks! (And thank you in advance.)

So now that you know, tell us who was correct--you or your mom.

So now that you know, tell us who was correct--you or your mom.

I was. She thought we could not bring soda and were limited to 2 bottles of wine per stateroom. I knew this was not the case because when I was married on a Princess ship 2 years ago, the policy was worded exactly as the current HAL policy and I brought aboard a whole case of wine as gifts for my sailing guests without a problem. When she sailed HAL before, she sailed with her parents who are more beer/hard liquor drinkers so it was a moot point.