Where can you buy On Board Credit?

Or you can buy gift certificates here which can be redeemed for OBC. They must be redeemed about a week prior to sailing though so sometimes it is just easier to call them. the number is listed in the below link

http://www.royalcaribbeancertificates.com/

While gift certificates are an option, calling Gifts & Gear is much easier. To use a gc as OBC, it must be redeemed at least 10 business days prior to your sail date. Just call the number provided above by clarea, OBC is item #651. I recommend that you ask for an email receipt of your purchase and take it on board with you, just in case. :)

Call 800-722-5443. You will need a credit card and cruise booking number.

Or, forget about charging your credit card ahead of time with future OBC and just pay the credit card after you spend the money onboard.

I bought some gift certificates (for OBC) to drain some prepaid visa cards I had due to a recent deal I got on them (free $50 CVS carebucks if you bought a prepaid Visa). This way I can empty the prepaid cards all at once, at put them towards something I know I'll need the money for shortly anyway.

Help, I'm likely misunderstanding your question. Why would you purchase OBC? Usually, obc is where the price dropped and they give you back money to spend on the ship. Thanks.

Help, I'm likely misunderstanding your question. Why would you purchase OBC? Usually, obc is where the price dropped and they give you back money to spend on the ship. Thanks.

For whatever reason, some folks like to pay for things in advance, so they put money on their account so there's little or no bill at the end.

For whatever reason, some folks like to pay for things in advance, so they put money on their account so there's little or no bill at the end.

It's explained as a 'forced savings' for some cruisers. They will purchase OBC, sometimes in increments in the months leading up to their cruise, rather than face a large bill upon disembarkation. Or, some lucky people have it purchased for them as a gift by others. :)

Or, some lucky people have it purchased for them as a gift by others. :)

This is a cool idea....a gift certificate for people who you know cruise a lot, and would surely enjoy it. I never thought of it....something I can tell my kids about to do for US.

It's explained as a 'forced savings' for some cruisers. They will purchase OBC, sometimes in increments in the months leading up to their cruise, rather than face a large bill upon disembarkation. Or, some lucky people have it purchased for them as a gift by others. :)

That is how we view it. I know it is all the same but for some reson $100 a month for 5 months is different than shelling out $500 at one time:p

I bought some gift certificates (for OBC) to drain some prepaid visa cards I had due to a recent deal I got on them (free $50 CVS carebucks if you bought a prepaid Visa). This way I can empty the prepaid cards all at once, at put them towards something I know I'll need the money for shortly anyway.

What a great way to use that resource. Good idea, thanks.

Bob, I can understand this, after my last cruise (highest bill that I have ever had - I visited the spa a few times :D:eek:). I have never done it but I understand.

Paulette

This is a cool idea....a gift certificate for people who you know cruise a lot, and would surely enjoy it. I never thought of it....something I can tell my kids about to do for US.

I received and email from Royal last week suggesting just this. They have such a certificate that you can purchase.

Edited by C Cruise Dude
add more

we had $200 on OBC gift certificates that we received as a christmas gift one year. We tried to us it on the Oasis but were told we could not as you need to "tell" them 2 weeks in advance you have these certificates. So we saved them for the next year on our Alaskan Cruise.

Nextt trip I registered them over a month in advance but when we got onboard we were told I was not going to be able to use them as they were not activated. Well thank goodess I had the time, date, name of person I spoke to and a confirmation number saying I did in fact activate them. After many trips to the Bursar over 4 days we were finally able to get the OBC added to our account.

Never again would I ask for or give someone this type of gift certificate from RCI. It was horrible.

But as others have warned...DO NOT wait till you get onboard to use these gift certs. They will deny the use of them if you do not call in advance to activate them. This caused all kinds of trouble for us one trip. I did not read the fine print. Be sure you do!

For us, we just charge our tab to get points, that is how we fly free to all our ports.:D

• 2 months later...