Caribbean Princess Nov 30, 2013: My Thoughts.

Cruzin-K

OK. I'm finally home from the longest day at work (that first day back is always the hardest) so I can answer the rest of your questions.

Thank you so, so much for such a detailed reply. Just the info I was looking for. As a melanoma survivor I have to be very careful about the excursions we choose.

Margaret

Edited by MJC
typo

Karen;

I just had a chance to read your review. Sounds like you had a good cruise. How did you like the Ultimate Ships's Tour.....

Bob

I thought the UST was fantastic. I was a bit disappointed that we didn't get the champagne and snacks at the end of the tour like the previous cruise did though. Still, that wasn't a huge deal when you consider everything we got to see, and the goodies delivered to our cabin later.

My favorite part of it was the deck with the anchors and the mooring lines - I thought it was really interesting.

Of course, those machines that dry and fold sheets were pretty amazing too :eek:

It all depends on the port. Sometimes the pilot boat will be alongside the ship just about a half hour before docking. Other times if the port is really tricky and there is a long channel to get through, like in Houston and in Belize, the pilot may meet the ship two to three hours before docking. I think we picked up the pilot for Houston at 10-something p.m. and we docked around 1:00 a.m.

I asked the officer who gave us the bridge tour how slow the ship has to be moving in order for the pilot to jump on board. I was told 6-8 knots, or very roughly 7-9 mph.

edit: found a video that's a good example of how tricky this can be.

and another

HOLY MOLY:eek:!! I am not sure there is enough money you could pay me to attempt that. I may go and search to see if I can find one of the pilot getting on to the ship instead of leaving....either way bravo for them, takes a special person to do that and sooo respect what they do.

HOLY MOLY:eek:!! I am not sure there is enough money you could pay me to attempt that. I may go and search to see if I can find one of the pilot getting on to the ship instead of leaving....either way bravo for them, takes a special person to do that and sooo respect what they do.

Spent long time in USCG jumping ships, especially for boarding and inspection, it does get tricking, but once you do a few time you get the rhythm of the waves and you can time it. Problem is during rough seas, had one of our guys jump and broke arm, leg and some ribs, we had to rescue him from water between boats, very tricky....

Spent long time in USCG jumping ships, especially for boarding and inspection, it does get tricking, but once you do a few time you get the rhythm of the waves and you can time it. Problem is during rough seas, had one of our guys jump and broke arm, leg and some ribs, we had to rescue him from water between boats, very tricky....

Wow the worse I get is a papercut sitting at my desk, I work in accounting...lol. I thank you greatly for the service you did and to those still serving for keeping us all safe.

We were also on the cruise. We enjoyed the ship and getting away. However, we found the CD to be rushed and too dry for our taste. He rushed through the Marriage Game, constantly looking at his watch and said several times he had to hurry to get to the late show. He was at a lot of events, but again, seemed rushed. I would have rather had him assign hosting to another crew member than to rush a fun show. His staff were very good and capable. I thought the entertainment was lacking. The magic show and juggler were ok. The comedian was funny but we have seen him on RCCL before....same routine. There wasn't much to do at night.

The food was good. We took all dinners in the Anytime Dining Room and most other meals at HC. We found the waitstaff to be ok, not great. The waitstaff have been excellent on our past cruises. I wondered if they were at the end of their contracts and ready for a break. I think we will go back to Early Dining on our next cruise. Our cabin steward was awesome!!

One thing we noticed this time is that the crew took smoke breaks on the promenade deck. I had never seen that in 12 prior cruises.

We enjoyed the Magical Beach lift in Roatan.

Thank you for your review! We will be on this cruise in January. There are six of us, and I want to be sure I understand this correctly. If we are interested in the UST, we need to be at the ship by 10am, board as early as possible (we aren't any special repeat cruisers), and have the fastest one of us (probably my husband, but I'm pretty good when on a mission) leave our carryon with the group and sprint (carefully) to guest services to put our names on the list.

I'm told that if we also want to do the Chef's Dining Table or whatever that is, we have to go to the nearest house phone and call DINE to put our names on that list.

We may have to take two cars because I know my husband and I can get there early. The rest of the group, I'm less sure about. Maybe I will tell them we need to be there at 9:30. These are the two things that I really want to do on the ship. Really, on the whole cruise including port stops.

I'm told that if we also want to do the Chef's Dining Table or whatever that is, we have to go to the nearest house phone and call DINE to put our names on that list.

DINE is not the number to call on all ships and the house phones often do not have a list of numbers to choose from. Either user the phone in your cabin or use the house phone to call the "operator" and ask to be connected with the line to reserve the Chef's table.

If you want to sign up, go to the Guest Services desk as soon as you board. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200. Do not go to your cabin to drop off your carry-on. Do not go to the bar for a drink. Go to Guest Services and tell them you want to sign up for the Ultimate Ship's Tour. I was third on the list at 12:30 on boarding day.

I was able to sign right under Karen's name at about 12:45. :D

We did go to the cabin, however briefly, but then straight to lunch (thanks Cruise Critic!!) on Deck 6 by the Midship Lifts. I hopped over to Passenger Services... it's just a few steps away from the Dining Room where lunch is.

CD Brett had to go run to the show in the Theatre so he could say, "Sit down, it's just me" after the curtains closed. If he hadn't been at those, I don't think I would have seen him. There is so much going on, I am sure he and his core staff miss a LOT of meals so they can run events.

Random observations: Chanukkah services were volunteer-run as opposed to Princess' advertising they would have a Rabbi on board.

A brand new cast of singers and dancers boarded at the beginning of this cruise. I think they did a very difficult job of getting up to speed by opening nights, very well. The next week I can say the shows were nicely polished and tight, and they ran smoother. And they added "Born To Be Wild" the next week for the first time. I didn't expect so many unique nightly shows - we were kept running from early show to late seating most nights though!

Rick

Edited by sminfiddle
etaoin shrdlu

Random observations: Chanukkah services were volunteer-run as opposed to Princess' advertising they would have a Rabbi on board.

Not promised per Princess' web site:

Inter-denominational services may be offered on Sunday by the ship's staff (Captain, Cruise Director, etc.). Princess places guest Catholic and Jewish clergy onboard for the following religious holidays. Catholic clergy will perform both Catholic and Protestant services when onboard.

• Easter Sunday
  • Christmas
  • Passover
  • Yom Kippur
  • Rosh Hashanah

For Hanukkah, a Rabbi is not placed by Princess. However, services are available and led by Jewish passengers with wine, Challah bread, prayers and Menorah provided by Princess.

Karen,

Was there a German/Bavarian night in the buffet? How about a seafood night?

RM275

If I recall, seafood night at the buffet was the second formal night. The plating was a lot nicer than usual; single serving size in small plates, like Vegas buffets Wynn and Caesars, though it made it hard to put much on your plate.

Not promised per Princess' web site:

Inter-denominational services may be offered on Sunday by the ship's staff (Captain, Cruise Director, etc.). Princess places guest Catholic and Jewish clergy onboard for the following religious holidays. Catholic clergy will perform both Catholic and Protestant services when onboard.

• Easter Sunday
  • Christmas
  • Passover
  • Yom Kippur
  • Rosh Hashanah

For Hanukkah, a Rabbi is not placed by Princess. However, services are available and led by Jewish passengers with wine, Challah bread, prayers and Menorah provided by Princess.

Indeed it *was* advertised:

Hanukkah Celebrations

For passengers who celebrate Hanukkah, special prayer and song services are planned by a rabbi, who sails with the ship for the holiday period. A special area of the ship is reserved for those participating in the services, and ships display menorahs and fresh flower arrangements decorated in the Hanukkah colors of blue, silver and white. Kosher meals are available throughout the sailing when requested in advance, and dining rooms feature specialty items such as potato latkes, matzo ball soup, gefilte fish and matzo during the holiday.

... until the italicized sentence was removed from this Cruising Through The Holidays Princess page.

The wording was there thru our final payment date (and I believe through October) but no, is not there now.

Thanks, Internet Wayback Machine! :)

I looked in vain for Stollen every December morning. :(

Indeed it *was* advertised:

... until the italicized sentence was removed from this Cruising Through The Holidays Princess page.

The wording was there thru our final payment date (and I believe through October) but no, is not there now.

Thanks, Internet Wayback Machine! :)

I looked in vain for Stollen every December morning. :(

I thought I remembered seeing that too pre-cruise, but noticed it said passenger led in the patter.

Gotta love the people that argue with what's on the website now vs. at booking or even sailing. Used to seeing that with port time changes.

I thought I remembered seeing that too pre-cruise, but noticed it said passenger led in the patter.

Gotta love the people that argue with what's on the website now vs. at booking or even sailing. Used to seeing that with port time changes.

A good reason to print out information like this when you see it before the cruise because it may disappear after the cruise.

If I recall, seafood night at the buffet was the second formal night. The plating was a lot nicer than usual; single serving size in small plates, like Vegas buffets Wynn and Caesars, though it made it hard to put much on your plate.

Another question please. Which nights were the formal nights? We're celebrating our anniversary and wondering if it will fall on one of those nights. How closely was the dress code followed on formal nights?

Thanks.

Another question please. Which nights were the formal nights? We're celebrating our anniversary and wondering if it will fall on one of those nights. How closely was the dress code followed on formal nights?

Thanks.

The formal nights were the first and second sea days (night 2 and night 6).

I honestly didn't pay much attention to what others were wearing, but I think the vast majority of people were dressed very nice. I think I would have noticed if someone was really underdressed in the dining room, and I didn't see that. I wore a long dress the first formal night, and did the black pants & sparkly top thing for the second :D

The formal nights were the first and second sea days (night 2 and night 6).

I honestly didn't pay much attention to what others were wearing, but I think the vast majority of people were dressed very nice. I think I would have noticed if someone was really underdressed in the dining room, and I didn't see that. I wore a long dress the first formal night, and did the black pants & sparkly top thing for the second :D

Thank you for your prompt response. Looks like we'll miss the second formal night, that's our anniversary. Doing the UBD that night.

Thanks.

Yup, formal nights are first and second sea days. Second formal night is lobster night, but it's spiny lobster, not maine lobster.

As for dress code, I also noticed first night was dressier than the second. We only attended first formal night in MDR and bf does not do suits/ties/tux but he does do button ups (sleeves part way rolled up)/vest/suspenders, but it's more Johnny Depp style so quite casual next to others. No one batted an eye when we went in to the MDR. I was wearing black cocktail dress with sparkly heels.

The cruise was relaxing most people dressed for dinners including formal night. We ate in anytime dinning and twice at by ourselves and did not have to wait, but we are at 8:15 the other time we waited 10 minutes and ate at 7:30

One night we at at 7:00 and joined 3 other couple and had a good time.

The cruise was fun and I thought the food was well done and many choices

We had a good time on the cabin craw and the slot pull. The mix and mingle was good and we got to meet the Hawley's (sp) the magic show they were friendly. We also meet some of the staff

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app