First time on HAL..VH to VB upgrade is good I assume??

dkay1211

We are taking our first HAL cruise next week and did a VH Gty when we booked. Got room assignment today and our cabin is a VB. Of course, we are happy to be cruising no matter what, but just hoping this is a good thing! :)

Thanks for any input, opinions, etc.

We are taking our first HAL cruise next week and did a VH Gty when we booked. Got room assignment today and our cabin is a VB. Of course, we are happy to be cruising no matter what, but just hoping this is a good thing! :)

YES! Great upgrade!

Great upgrade!! I'd be very happy with that as well. Hoping for the same...

We booked the lowest inside for our Dec. 16th cruise on the Noordam, but I called the TA Thursday of last week and got an excellent up sell to a VH guarantee for only $20pp. We sail one week from today and still don't have a cabin assignment yet. I took the up sell behind my partner's back and plan to keep it a surprise until we board, but of course it's driving me crazy not knowing what cabin we're in and if we'll get an upgrade.

Great upgrade!! I'd be very happy with that as well. Hoping for the same...

We booked the lowest inside for our Dec. 16th cruise on the Noordam, but I called the TA Thursday of last week and got an excellent up sell to a VH guarantee for only $20pp. We sail one week from today and still don't have a cabin assignment yet. I took the up sell behind my partner's back and plan to keep it a surprise until we board, but of course it's driving me crazy not knowing what cabin we're in and if we'll get an upgrade.

Wow, that is the cheapest upsell I've ever heard of! Have a wonderful cruise.

Wow, that is the cheapest upsell I've ever heard of! Have a wonderful cruise.

I know right cruz chic! I've only sailed in inside and oceanview cabins thus far so I'm beside myself with excitement as the up sell to a VH for that price is already a HUGE upgrade. :D

Hopefully I can continue to keep it a secret until we sail! ;)

Sure it is a good thing, it did not cost you any money. :) The new room category will be a bit closer to the center of the ship, probably by 5 or 6 cabins, or may be one deck higher (the higher decks are generally higher categories), but it is pretty much the same cabin. The myriad of categories tends to be ridiculous, but of course it is designed to generate maximum revenue.

So, are gty assignments done at the last moment, then? We've booked a VF gty for July. When should I start checking my account for a stateroom number? ;)

They seem to pop up around 10 days out in my experience. I don't think there is any hard and fast rule, it is based on the number and level of available cabins. They already have your money, and at a certain point the decision is made that they are most likely not going to sell any more of the open cabins at whatever their price is, so they move existing reservations into the unsold "upgrades", freeing up your previously reserved less expensive room, which because it is cheaper, has a better chance of being resold.

So, are gty assignments done at the last moment, then? We've booked a VF gty for July. When should I start checking my account for a stateroom number? ;)

We are 6 days out and still no assignment. It's probably because I keep obsessively checking my reservation! I've read some posts where people haven't gotten their assignment until arriving at the port for departure. :eek:

We are 6 days out and still no assignment. It's probably because I keep obsessively checking my reservation! I've read some posts where people haven't gotten their assignment until arriving at the port for departure. :eek:

YAY! The upgrade fairy was very good and apparently decided I'd had enough obsessive reservation checking for one week and gave us an upgrade from a VH to a VA!

The happy upgrade cabin dance has commenced!!!! :D