DOLPHIN DISCOVERY - COZUMEL MEXICO - Observation area and photos

Keiko77

Can anyone who has done this excursion tell me if family members are able to take photos from the observation areas, or are they too far away?

I will be travelling with professional photography gear, but am unsure if the observation decks are at a decent angle to get some good shots of my family while they swim with the dolphins. Was hoping I could take my own photos and not have to pay $100+ for the photos sold at the park.

If anyone has any pictures of the area that they could share, to give me an idea of the layout, that would be greatly appreciated as well! :)

We just did the dolphin swim in Cozumel during Thanksgiving. The dolphin encounter is held in the perimeter of the same area. No, they do not allow cameras of any kind. They are very strict about that. You are allowed to take photos as you walk about in the common areas in front of the dolphin areas. We did end up buying a photo package after our swim. It wasn't cheap.

We just did the dolphin swim in Cozumel during Thanksgiving. The dolphin encounter is held in the perimeter of the same area. No, they do not allow cameras of any kind. They are very strict about that. You are allowed to take photos as you walk about in the common areas in front of the dolphin areas. We did end up buying a photo package after our swim. It wasn't cheap.

Do you know if the people observing were allowed to take pictures of the dolphin swim from an observation area? And would I be able to see my family members well from the observation area, if I had a telephoto camera lens?

I'm getting conflicting opinions from all the message boards I read; some say yes observers can take photos, others say no photos allowed by anyone. It's proving very difficult to get a black and white answer. :confused:

You can take pictures from the common areas, but you will need a really long lens to get any good pictures as the encounter area is not that close. When we did it in May 2012 one couple had a small waterproof camera that they were taking pictures with while swimming with the dolphins.

Do you know if the people observing were allowed to take pictures of the dolphin swim from an observation area? And would I be able to see my family members well from the observation area, if I had a telephoto camera lens?

I'm getting conflicting opinions from all the message boards I read; some say yes observers can take photos, others say no photos allowed by anyone. It's proving very difficult to get a black and white answer. :confused:

If you were standing on the shore, boardwalk area where the shops and food places are you will need a telephoto lens. They have their own photographers on the pier/observation areas where the encounters/swims are being done. Their photographers have serious cameras wrapped with plastic and you will not be allowed there with a camera.

We had our Canon EOS T3i at Dolphin Discovery this past January, and had the telephoto lens on and we got great shots from the observation area. The only thing is that you will get side shots of everything as they do the tricks from left to right and not right at you like the photographers from the park will get, so if that doesn't bother you, then you will be able to get the shots from the observation area.

Keith

The area where the non-swimmers are is pretty far back (and will depend on what area they take the swimmers to on how far they are).

Here's an overview of what it looks like from above to show you just how big this area is:

chankanaab%20park%20map-L.jpg

The part that comes out is the swim area. (Sorry, this picture I had made for someone else wanting to know the distance from the snorkeling to the lockers)

Chankanaab-L.jpg

Another factor is that the dock is up really high while the swimmers are standing down really low in the water on a platform (which making it hard to see)

This picture shows you how far down we were:

kim%20kiss-L.jpg

I hope that helps with the perception of what to expect. :)

We had our Canon EOS T3i at Dolphin Discovery this past January, and had the telephoto lens on and we got great shots from the observation area. The only thing is that you will get side shots of everything as they do the tricks from left to right and not right at you like the photographers from the park will get, so if that doesn't bother you, then you will be able to get the shots from the observation area.

Keith

Thanks so much Keith! That's the clarity I've been looking for! :)

I know at Chakanab, they were very strict with observers NOT taking photos. They were dismayed when I was following their rules by taking a camera in waterproof case in with me.

I seem to be getting that impression as well. It looks like they recently changed their camera rules. Not even allowed to use underwater cameras during the dolphin swim anymore. The Dolphin Discovery website says observers can use their photos, but a lot of Cruisers have posted that this isn't the case.

I'm booking the excursion through Royal Caribbean. It includes a push (you hold a boogie-board while the dolphin pushes you), a pull (holding the dorsal fins), and swim (with a kiss !). There's also a manatee interaction, which I've heard is just a manatee eating lettuce while you pet him, haha, but I'm still excited!

The details can all be found here:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?sourcePage=cruiseDetails&packageCode=FR07W117&date=&selectedCurrencyCode=&ProductCode=CZ79&DestinationCode=

I know my oldest daughter booked the "Royal" swim, which includes 2 dolphins that come up under you and they push you up in the air while you're riding across the water. I "believe" it was done in that open area you see in the middle. So I thought if you guys were doing that, there's some hope that you might be able to capture some pictures with a nice zoom lens that way. :)

I'm booking the excursion through Royal Caribbean. It includes a push (you hold a boogie-board while the dolphin pushes you), a pull (holding the dorsal fins), and swim (with a kiss !). There's also a manatee interaction, which I've heard is just a manatee eating lettuce while you pet him, haha, but I'm still excited!

The details can all be found here:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?sourcePage=cruiseDetails&packageCode=FR07W117&date=&selectedCurrencyCode=&ProductCode=CZ79&DestinationCode=

Yes. We saw the manatee interaction as we walked on the pier to our dolphin swim. Looked like fun. We saw the manatees gathered around and heads of romaine lettuce were given out to everyone for feeding the animals. Lots of laughter going on.

A large group of us was in Cozumel week of thanksgiving. I believe it was dolphin discovery part of the group went to. One person bought the observation ticket ( on ship) for 25.00. She took a ton of pictures. My daughter was totally pleased with the outcome of the pictures. The lady taking the pictures was also allowed to eat the buffet.

Yes. We saw the manatee interaction as we walked on the pier to our dolphin swim. Looked like fun. We saw the manatees gathered around and heads of romaine lettuce were given out to everyone for feeding the animals. Lots of laughter going on.

I just did the manatee encounter two days ago- I was the ONLY person signed up. Anyone who did the dolphins got to go in the water and stand on the platform and pet the manatees for about 5 minutes and feed them a piece of lettuce, but if you sign up for the manatee program ($60 including the $20 admission fee) you get to swim with them for an entire half an hour. You only had to stand on the platform for the kiss picture. I got to free swim around the tank, feed the three of them about 6 heads of lettuce and lots of papya and pineapple. They let me wear a mask (but not a snorkel), so I was able to stick my head under water and watch them a bit better (but not too well due to the life jacket...) Glad I was wearing the life jacket though because they grab onto your legs and pull you when they want more food.

It was an INCREDIBLE experience. I still can't believe I was the only one. Guess everyone else just wants the dolphins.

As for your own pictures- if you are lucky enough to be in the first dolphin tank, I saw a number of people standing relatively close on the board walk taking pictures and video on their iphones (or the sting ray tank). But if you are in the second or third area, even a decent telephoto lens wouldn't be strong enough- you'd need a really really strong one. My husband does have pictures of me walking back from the swim though- the smile on my face is just huge!

(Oh, and I bought the photo CD and it was 900 pesos, or $72, for 139 photos. I wanted 4 of them- and individually they were $35 each.)

I just did the manatee encounter two days ago- I was the ONLY person signed up. Anyone who did the dolphins got to go in the water and stand on the platform and pet the manatees for about 5 minutes and feed them a piece of lettuce, but if you sign up for the manatee program ($60 including the $20 admission fee) you get to swim with them for an entire half an hour. You only had to stand on the platform for the kiss picture. I got to free swim around the tank, feed the three of them about 6 heads of lettuce and lots of papya and pineapple. They let me wear a mask (but not a snorkel), so I was able to stick my head under water and watch them a bit better (but not too well due to the life jacket...) Glad I was wearing the life jacket though because they grab onto your legs and pull you when they want more food.

It was an INCREDIBLE experience. I still can't believe I was the only one. Guess everyone else just wants the dolphins.

As for your own pictures- if you are lucky enough to be in the first dolphin tank, I saw a number of people standing relatively close on the board walk taking pictures and video on their iphones (or the sting ray tank). But if you are in the second or third area, even a decent telephoto lens wouldn't be strong enough- you'd need a really really strong one. My husband does have pictures of me walking back from the swim though- the smile on my face is just huge!

(Oh, and I bought the photo CD and it was 900 pesos, or $72, for 139 photos. I wanted 4 of them- and individually they were $35 each.)

Were you in more then 4 photo's? Are the other photos of the people you don't know?

Were you in more then 4 photo's? Are the other photos of the people you don't know?

I was the only person in the water the whole time. All 139 photos are of me. More than 4 of them are good (maybe 15 I picked out to put in a scrapbook, after that it seemed repetitive)- it was just there were 4 I really wanted.

Edited by skittl1321