lack of a/c on Ryndam 12/1 to 12/7

coaster

Think of it this way. If about 3 percent or less of cruisers read this forum, then probably there were another 100 plus people who had not air but are not reporting on this forum.

Did not one poster say that they were told that 150 or so cabins were impacted?

A small chance of getting a cabin with no ac. But why take a chance? Lots of other cruise ships to choose from.

Edited by iancal

I've been keeping a list of those who report A/C problems. So far I only have only read of 4 cabins on it:

NS - 7077

NS -7087

NS - 7089

Penthouse 7045

These are all starboard cabins on the Zuiderdam - Neptune suites I believe. And I know from my own cruise through the Panama that there were cabins on main deck, deck 4 and 6 that I heard about that had issues. We were port side through the Panama - great a/c but plumbing problems instead - and port side to Alaska with no problems with either. There's no way of picking a "safe" area.:D

Think of it this way. If about 3 percent or less of cruisers read this forum, then probably there were another 100 plus people who had not air but are not reporting on this forum.

Did not one poster say that they were told that 150 or so cabins were impacted?

A small chance of getting a cabin with no ac. But why take a chance? Lots of other cruise ships to choose from.

Right

They should all work. We don't want to cheat anyone of what they are due, but I expect to get what I paid for. And that's comfort, security and quality food.

But what is going around?

The Urban Dictionary has some information on karma, including:

Good behavior is rewarded with goodness in life, and bad behavior is punished.

By doing intentional harm to others, a person is setting him/herself up for harm to be done to him/herself. For example, if you removed the HSC from the crew, who have no control over your a/c issues, that is intentional harm you are doing to them. So karma might cause your life to be affected. What you do to others comes back around to you. (what goes around comes around)

At least that is my non-Buddhist understanding of karma. I've seen karma in action many times.

Having been on the Ryndam last month, I would like to assure future passengers of this ship that, based on last month's experience, the odds are highly in your favor your a/c will be fine. There were a few cabins with a problem, but I didn't hear of very many issues at all (and I spent some time hanging around the front desk just to listen for a/c problems after my neighbors had an issue). What I'm trying to learn from this discussion is what should you do if you are one of the few unlucky ones with non functioning a/c and the ship was sold out.

Having been on the Ryndam last month, I would like to assure future passengers of this ship that, based on last month's experience, the odds are highly in your favor your a/c will be fine. There were a few cabins with a problem, but I didn't hear of very many issues at all (and I spent some time hanging around the front desk just to listen for a/c problems after my neighbors had an issue). What I'm trying to learn from this discussion is what should you do if you are one of the few unlucky ones with non functioning a/c and the ship was sold out.

We had only a few hours of non-functioning AC on the Ryndam (fortunately it was fixed very quickly). We had already decided after those few hours that if it was NOT fixed, we'd find someplace else to sleep until we could leave the ship, find a hotel for a few days, then fly home. We do NOT have tons of "spare" money, so it would have been a sacrifice, but participating in some sort of no-a/c-endurance-test as a VACATION is not something we would do.

Thanks, Cow Princess. Excellent explanation.

I second that. The op had me looking like :confused: also, just did not make the connection of the first sentence to the topic and then to karma.

But karma aside, I just don't comprehend the logic that withholding the service staff's gratuities could possibly have any effect on the inaction of HAL to resolve these ac and plumbing issues.

/Back from our first HAL cruise. Cabin on forward section of deck 5 was only cool on last day and night. It was warm and uncomfortable when we boarded, but I thought it was just because we were not moving. Temperature did not cool afterwards during the next 6 nights until our last day at sea. We slept on top of covers all other nights. Dressing in the evenings for dinner was pretty tough. Woke up in sweat covered sheets and I gasped for air waking up in middle of night a few times. Did not wear a shirt like I usually do at night. Showers for the four of us in the morning only made our cabin a sauna. Hallway seemed cooler for whatever reason.

Heard from a couple others it was an issue elsewhere. Front office took down our information when I commented on our experience and no follow-up was received before we disembarked. I really can't imagine we were the only ones who mentioned this issue to the front office. Anyone else here have a similar experience on this sailing and let the front office know? Was there any follow-up?

So here's the start of this thread

And by strange coincidence , they were in our cabin 529

And HAL knew the a/c failed the night before, and were not trying to fix it the last night or morning.

Why would they do that to someone?

Precisely . What are your options?

Sleep in the crows nest, on deck, or get off at the next port?

Or soak your bed with sweat every night.

They (HAL) have to make it right

speaking for myself only, if the conditions were unbearable, I would be parked at the front desk until they did something - whether it be fix it, move us or refund and get us home. I wouldn't be suffering in silence nor wait until I get home to complain nor would I withhold the hsc from the hard working crew.

Edited by kazu

We would NEVER, ever withhold the tips.

But we would be down at the front desk area at night in our pj's, blankets in hand, reclining in the public area seating all the while embarrassing the heck out of the ships management until they did something substantive about it vs. doing nothing and giving us the royal run around.

Selling substandard cabins with malfunctioning AC is encouraged by those who suffer in silence or willingly accept a token dinner, bottle or wine, a shut up and go away future cruise credit, or a plate of chocolate covered strawberries in return for their meek acceptance of the situation.

I am with kazu on this. I just want what I paid for and what I was told that I would get. Nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by iancal

I've been keeping a list of those who report A/C problems. So far I only have only read of 4 cabins on it:

NS - 7077

NS -7087

NS - 7089

Penthouse 7045

I suppose this is better than nothing, but I remember the same thing being done when the Maasdam was under a lot of fire because of a/c issues. The problem, as it turned out, is that the issues weren't necessarily consistent with specific cabins: i.e., NS7077 might have air this week, but might not next week.

We would NEVER, ever withhold the tips.

But we would be down at the front desk area at night in our pj's, blankets in hand, reclining in the public area seating all the while embarrassing the heck out of the ships management until they did something substantive about it vs. doing nothing and giving us the royal run around.

Selling substandard cabins with malfunctioning AC is encouraged by those who suffer in silence or willingly accept a token dinner, bottle or wine, a shut up and go away future cruise credit, or a plate of chocolate covered strawberries in return for their meek acceptance of the situation.

I am with kazu on this. I just want what I paid for and what I was told that I would get. Nothing more, nothing less.

Totally agree

Excellent stand

Too many put up with substandard accommodation and that doesn't fix things