Muster Drill Safety!

TonyE

Yes, in fact this is the proper protocol.

Report in person to your nearest coast guard station. Ask to file form ID-10-T.

If you are more than 50 miles from the Coast Guard, any military branch will be able to take the report and send it along.

They will get the particulars and open an investigation.

Please keep us posted as to the outcome.

LMAO. Classic.

It think the whole drill is a waste of time. If you can't figure out how to put a life vest on then you shouldn't be cruising.

I can't believe you even noticed that they didn't do the life vest demo. Relax. Let it go. Enjoy life.

If you are more than 50 miles from the Coast Guard, any military branch will be able to take the report and send it along.

There is a form ID-10-T?

My DD always tells me that it's an ID-10-T error when I can't do something with my "smart phone"! :D

Hahahhaha so funny.

But really , If you are over the age of 12 and dont know how to slip on a life jacket , thats a problem.

With the exception of clipping the belt around you it is no different than puting on a coat/jacket. And please dont blow the whistles ,there never cleaned , think how many years of ..... whhaaaa I cant fininsh the thought:eek:

If anyone finds this a difficult task , then I would recomend staying away from water of any depth greater than 2 feet ( knee high )..

I'll never put on a life jacket again . All that splashin and hollerin .

Then they come cruisin...;)

All I can relate are our experience on the Dawn repo cruise on 11/1/13 from Boston to Tampa. The muster drill, was in the main dining room for us, and multiple crew demonstrated the full use of the lifejackets so that all could see it up close in that large room. There was a 2nd muster drill for people that missed the first one.....NCL keeps track of who has attended and who hasn't. FYI, the Chief Environmental Officer on the Dawn is retired Coast Guard and I doubt that he would allow something like you describe to happen.

Seems to me that angry people have bad times. On each cruise there is a group of angry people who find things to be even more angry about. You are going into a hissy fit here and need to settle down.

you'll get nowhere with this approach.. NCL has documented policies and procedures that will trump the vague memory of a single pax in one venue on one sailing. As others have stated, move on..

Oh come on, let him report them and file a suit, that is the only way he will be happy.

See, that's a PEBKAC error :

Problem

Exists

Between

Keyboard

And

Chair

:D

Cle-guy, I've always called it a PICNIC error

Problem

In

Chair

Not

In

Computer

I like your version too! Unfortunately, I've been known to go on a few PICNICs.

Elf

Quote:

Originally Posted by cle-guy View Post

See, that's a PEBKAC error :

Problem

Exists

Between

Keyboard

And

Chair

Cle-guy, I've always called it a PICNIC error

Problem

In

Chair

Not

In

Computer

Also known as an ID TEN T error (ID 10 T)

From late 2009 and early 2010, OP complained about Celebrity and the Celebrity CC board. See below. Just our turn now over here on the NCL board.

post_old.gif December 19th, 2009, 04:08 AM

TonyE user_online.gif

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gifDoes anyone have Richard D Fain Email Address?

After waiting 4 hours in the cruise terminals 2nd floor cattle shed in order to board Celebrity Equinox on 12/4/9 I want to email the man. It was a totally unacceptable. What are they going to do about it.

AND

January 16th, 2010, 12:40 PM

TonyE user_online.gif

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gifIn Celebrities Pocket?

Lets get it straight I was on a package with Celebrity, including night in Hotel before boarding. We had to be in Hotel lobby by 10:30 wth luggage. It was absolute mayhem. Bodies and luggage everywhere. It was 14:30 by the time we boarded.

I find this unacceptable and will therefore complain about it.

Are some people on this forum in Celbrities pocket? Making excuses for them. If ICE caused the Problem then Celbrity needs to be complaining to ICE and do something about it.

As to emails to Celebrity with a 48 hour turnaround I'm on my 3rd email and still awaiting for any turnaround.

Good companies actually encourage and listen to complaints. It's a way to get better. As a matter of fact when I finally track this geezer down I've the names of two crew members who I want to praise to him. I was actually very impressed with everthing else on the cruise but because I care about this Company I'm prepared to take the trouble to complain.

I also note that my original complaint has disappeared off this forum. Yet something else that makes me think this forum lacks a critical bias.

Curmudgeon: a crusty, ill-tempered, and usually old man

Triptolemus & Seanote:

We will be on the Dawn in October, 2014. If either/both of you are aboard, the drinks are on us for brightening a snowy night here in New England with good humor. OMG. How to punish people for not demonstrating how to put on a life jacket! What a sad limited view of life. Fingers crossed that just once we get to sail with the OP. Nothing better than getting to sit and watch someone fuming about everything.:p

margretha

Let me see if I got this right...

You know enough to look up, read, understand, copy, and paste SOLAS Regulations, but you need to ask US how they are enforced? :confused: Isn't that also outlined in the very regulations that you so diligently quoted??

Don't worry so much about the life jacket. If anything, invest in a good hardhat. You wouldn't want to bump your head on the underside of the bridge.

Hilarious

!!!

And bring a bucket of steam too.

For the benefit of the NCL fan club, who seem to think that the sun shines out of the blunt end of any NCL ship, along with those commentators who were not even there but seem to know better, and the avoidance of any doubt, we were there the whole time during this shambolic drill, paying attention. No demonstration was given. I actually felt quite sorry for the guy with the microphone as he looked scared to death and had probably been thrown in at the deep end. At the end we asked about it and his answer was it's on TV.

Fortunately the **** didn't hit the fan or else this could have cost lives. In a emergency there would be enough chaos without this.

If NCL can't be bothered with the fundamentals of basic safety and even get this right why should I expect them to be bothered about much else. As was clearly demonstrated throughout the cruise.

:mad:

I'm not 100% sure the instruction on how to don life jackets is required at the muster station during the drill. I do agree it is prudent for the cruise line to do it, but I'm not sure it's mandatory.

SOLAS does require you be shown how to don them, but their required safety briefing also says it must be done either "immediately before sailing," or "immediately after sailing," and allows for it to only be a PA announcement. The physical muster is required within 24 hours of sailing.

That's where it gets vague for me because if the briefing is allowable by PA only, it leads me to believe the stateroom television display is suffice. Unless I'm missing it somewhere, I do not see where it is required by law to display life jacket donning during the muster drill.

FWIW, it's CLIA (Cruise line International Association) that demands the drill be conducted before sailing.

I'm not 100% sure the instruction on how to don life jackets is required at the muster station during the drill. I do agree it is prudent for the cruise line to do it, but I'm not sure it's mandatory.It is not required to be done at the muster, but may be, if the muster is done within 24 hours of sailing

SOLAS does require you be shown how to don them, but their required safety briefing also says it must be done either "immediately before sailing," or "immediately after sailing," and allows for it to only be a PA announcement. The physical muster is required within 24 hours of sailing.Correct. There does not have to be a physical demonstration of donning the lifejacket, it can be over the PA, or a microphone in the theater or MDR muster location.

That's where it gets vague for me because if the briefing is allowable by PA only, it leads me to believe the stateroom television display is suffice. Unless I'm missing it somewhere, I do not see where it is required by law to display life jacket donning during the muster drill. Videos may be used to supplement but not replace the briefing. And you are correct that the regulations do not once mention a "demonstration", just a briefing.

FWIW, it's CLIA (Cruise line International Association) that demands the drill be conducted before sailing.

As I know that you know, this is a voluntary requirement from CLIA following the Costa Concordia, it is not required by SOLAS.

This guy is so far off-base that I wasn't going to chime in, just read it for the enjoyment, but you've helped me, Aquahound, so I'll jump in and help here. As stated above, there is no requirement for a physical demonstration of lifejacket donning, just a broadcast description. Placards and videos are supplemental to the broadcast. The briefing (no where does it say "demonstration") must be immediately before or after sailing, and can be limited to those who have not heard it before during the voyage.

Given that NCL has onboard Safety Managers, whose sole function is to train and drill the crew in safety and emergency matters, I find it hard to believe that the crew failed to at least describe donning a lifejacket, let alone demonstrate it.

I get that this guy didn't like the cruise, and feels entitled, but to pick on this is ludicrous. If he felt this was a sufficiently serious breach of safety procedures, he should not have been blown off by a "watch the video" comment, but should have pushed this further onboard. I just love people who have "huge" gripes that never get mentioned onboard, but who come here to whine and moan.

I just love people who have "huge" gripes that never get mentioned onboard, but who come here to whine and moan.

But then again, it did add variety over the normal gripes. We have to give this poster credit for creativity. I do have say I've never seen this one before :D :D.

As I know that you know, this is a voluntary requirement from CLIA following the Costa Concordia, it is not required by SOLAS.

This guy is so far off-base that I wasn't going to chime in, just read it for the enjoyment, but you've helped me, Aquahound, so I'll jump in and help here. As stated above, there is no requirement for a physical demonstration of lifejacket donning, just a broadcast description. Placards and videos are supplemental to the broadcast. The briefing (no where does it say "demonstration") must be immediately before or after sailing, and can be limited to those who have not heard it before during the voyage.

Given that NCL has onboard Safety Managers, whose sole function is to train and drill the crew in safety and emergency matters, I find it hard to believe that the crew failed to at least describe donning a lifejacket, let alone demonstrate it.

I get that this guy didn't like the cruise, and feels entitled, but to pick on this is ludicrous. If he felt this was a sufficiently serious breach of safety procedures, he should not have been blown off by a "watch the video" comment, but should have pushed this further onboard. I just love people who have "huge" gripes that never get mentioned onboard, but who come here to whine and moan.

He obviously feels that he is entitled to some reimbursement (7 hours and 28 minutes worth according to his review) and, with this post in my opinion, is just trying to stir it up in hopes that NCL will pay him off.