How Has QM2 Changed since 2004?

Leucothea

Jim, would love to see them. As well as I remember (memory might be failing me here!), they did not allow passengers to go out there on our trip around the Horn. But we were allowed out there on subsequent trips. Edith

Hi Edith. It is mounted in a QM2 album. I don't have it digitally but if you give me your email, I will take a picture of the picture :eek: and email it to you. Funny how my hair was darker just in 2004.:eek::D

Hi Edith. It is mounted in a QM2 album. I don't have it digitally but if you give me your email, I will take a picture of the picture :eek: and email it to you. Funny how my hair was darker just in 2004.:eek::D

Looking forward to the pics, Jim!

enigmaent at AOL dot com

Miss that ship! We were last on it in 2012: B2B TA and then New England. Edith

Yikes, I wasn't blaming Cunard for Pluto getting knocked off the list of planets - the Disney Line is responsible for that! (Hope you know I'm only kidding). But regarding the bedtime chocolates getting smaller on Cunard ships: yes, that is true. Is there anything on the Cunard ships that are increasing in amount, other than my on board charges and my waistband :eek::) Cheers, -S.

I'd stay away from Pluto...It's a real Micky Mouse planet.

The biggest difference I have seen between 2005/2006 and 2011 is the increased presence of the room stewards. In late 2011, I noticed that every morning they roll their mobile stations down the passageways and park themselves for the entire morning and early afternoons outside your door. In 2005 and 2006 I was struck how you barely ever saw your room stewards and they always seemed to have a skill for cleaning your room while you were out of the cabin without ever been seen! Now there seems to be a culture that they are the hallway monitors and you have to get around their carts every time you go in or out of the cabin, because as I said, they are ALWAYS outside your cabin with their cleaning cart. It also seemed like they started their shifts earlier and made a lot of noise. It reminded me in 2011 of being in a Marriott instead of a classy ship.

I also noticed a decline in dining room service in Britannia in 2011. We had two waiters tag-teaming our table of 6 and one was very qualified but the other one was just terrible - getting the order wrong, slow service, etc.

As mentioned by others, the photographers are way more obnoxious than they used to be. My favorite lounge before dinner is the Chart Room, with a great quartet or jazz band playing pre-dinner music. It had a great ambience with a drink, good music, and good conversation. Now, the strobe light from the photographers just outside in the hallway is constantly going off and extremely irritating. Very bad taste of the management to allow that kind of circus environment to intrude into the lounge.

Other than those three complaints, I think the ship has held its own well. We are returning to it next week for the Christmas Cruise and I am curious to see how the ship continues to fare.

Edited by Paul NH

The biggest difference I have seen between 2005/2006 and 2011 is the increased presence of the room stewards. In late 2011, I noticed that every morning they roll their mobile stations down the passageways and park themselves for the entire morning and early afternoons outside your door. In 2005 and 2006 I was struck how you barely ever saw your room stewards and they always seemed to have a skill for cleaning your room while you were out of the cabin without ever been seen! Now there seems to be a culture that they are the hallway monitors and you have to get around their carts every time you go in or out of the cabin, because as I said, they are ALWAYS outside your cabin with their cleaning cart. It also seemed like they started their shifts earlier and made a lot of noise. It reminded me in 2011 of being in a Marriott instead of a classy ship.

I think the reason for much of this is that staff reductions have meant they have more cabins to service than in earlier years. I agree that they start earlier and seem to be servicing cabins much later in the day.

On another point on cabin service, there used to be (admittedly on QE2) a housekeeper on every deck. If they still have one I don't know, but I have never seen him/her.

David.

There is still a Housekeeping Officer for each deck. This fall I saw mine almost daily and got to know him. There is an Officer on duty also from 9 pm. to 9 am to handle overnight issues for all the decks.

I noticed that the last suite I had was just a couple of metres down from where the steward parked his trolley for the morning and evening's cleaning of his allocated rooms. I assume they pick a location for the trolley that's handy for all the rooms they need to service. Whilst it's not the most attractive thing to look at, it does need to go somewhere.

I also noticed a decline in dining room service in Britannia in 2011. We had two waiters tag-teaming our table of 6 and one was very qualified but the other one was just terrible - getting the order wrong, slow service, etc.

You'll be pleased to hear that service in the Britannia Restaurant (as of 2013) is excellent - as is the food.

As mentioned by others, the photographers are way more obnoxious than they used to be. My favorite lounge before dinner is the Chart Room, with a great quartet or jazz band playing pre-dinner music. It had a great ambience with a drink, good music, and good conversation. Now, the strobe light from the photographers just outside in the hallway is constantly going off and extremely irritating. Very bad taste of the management to allow that kind of circus environment to intrude into the lounge.

Perhaps I am just lucky, but the ship's photographers that I've come across all seemed to be nice young people just doing a job.

The Chart Room is a fantastic location for pre-dinner drinks. I love it.

Other than those three complaints, I think the ship has held its own well. We are returning to it next week for the Christmas Cruise and I am curious to see how the ship continues to fare.

Have a great voyage, and Merry Christmas.

Well first off no more sailing down the Hudson river and the great mid town location...slower and far less crossings and only one cruise out of NYC...The marketing used to have alot more focus on the TAs and Cunards history..The ship itself has some changes like the glass floor in the Kings court covered over for more tables..the Bridge wings are longer and the in room TV system with all the music and movies is gone. Alot of the Cunard way of doing things went with Princess running the ship after 2005-6..So I will say I liked the QM2 in her early years more than I do now.

Today the QM2 is registered in Hamilton

Bermuda. The ship has had many refits.

But the QM2 is the same.

The kings court buffet is same

Southampton to NY has the back to back

Cruises no longer NY to Southampton to NY

It is more of a cruise ship while the QE2

Has the legacy of an Ocean Liner

[/color]

The same could be said about the QE2.

Yes, I agree. The QE2 did cruises and the world cruise

Today Cunard has 2 cruise ships and 1 ocean liner and uses the QM2

As a cruise ship and ocean liner

Do you think the QM2 will have the same ocean liner

Legacy as the QE2?

Edited by turquoise 6

Yes, I agree. The QE2 did cruises and the world cruise

Today Cunard has 2 cruise ships and 1 ocean liner and uses the QM2

As a cruise ship and ocean liner

Legacy as the QE2?

Yes, however, the QM2 is likely to have as good a following as QEII but maybe a newer and probably younger generation. After all, QEII was 40 years old when she retired, so maybe in say another 20 years when QM2 is 30 she will have as fanatical following as QEII did and still does.

In the very early days, afternoon tea was held in the Winter Garden. Truly lucky to find a seat then! It soon changed to the Queens Room.

Afternoon tea has always been served in the Queens Room. But in the early days, it was served in the Winter Garden as well. What's changed is that it's no longer served in the Winter Garden, but in King's Court now instead. Truly sad...

KK

Afternoon tea has always been served in the Queens Room. But in the early days, it was served in the Winter Garden as well. What's changed is that it's no longer served in the Winter Garden, but in King's Court now instead. Truly sad...

KK

WHAT ...afternoon tea is now served in kings court...say it aint so. are you sure on this ?where do people dance ? the music makers set up where?

Legacy as the QE2?

I think you're asking me if QM2 will have the same fame and following as QE2. To which the answer is yes. But we've already arrived at that point, QM2 has that following now. Every port she visits in Australia crowds come out to see her. In Hamburg there's a similar (if greater) reaction. Granted, there's zero interest in Southampton and New York, but that can be explained by her repeat presence in those two ports.

There is a thread right here on Cruise Critic entitled 'Where is QM2' - you may be familiar with it - which illustrates to me the interest shown in QM2, which, as nice as they probably are, will never be bestowed on QV or QE.

P.S I can't wait to board QE and check her out. :)

WHAT ...afternoon tea is now served in kings court...say it aint so. are you sure on this ?where do people dance ? the music makers set up where?

Naturally, you get only the tea, sandwiches, scones and sweets in King's Court. For the rest, you must go to the Queens Room.

KK

Afternoon tea is still white-glove service and it is served in the Queens Room. (As well as the Queens Grill Lounge for those who booked Grill staterooms.)

The program also lists "Buffet Afternoon Tea" in King's Court. I've not used it except for one time when I missed the formal service and stopped by. I remember tea sandwiches and sweets but no scones. Maybe it's provided for those who prefer some "grab and go" refreshment.

I think you're asking me if QM2 will have the same fame and following as QE2. To which the answer is yes. But we've already arrived at that point, QM2 has that following now. Every port she visits in Australia crowds come out to see her. In Hamburg there's a similar (if greater) reaction. Granted, there's zero interest in Southampton and New York, but that can be explained by her repeat presence in those two ports.

There is a thread right here on Cruise Critic entitled 'Where is QM2' - you may be familiar with it - which illustrates to me the interest shown in QM2, which, as nice as they probably are, will never be bestowed on QV or QE.

P.S I can't wait to board QE and check her out. :)

Thank you Whitemarsh for your reply. yes I agree with you, as to the fact the QM2 does have a large and faithful following. It also appears that the QM2 needs constant

justification here (on CC) to be an Ocean Liner. This was never done with the QE2. We both know the QM2 is an Ocean liner.

I would love to sail into Sidney on the QM2. It must be an amazing sight to see.

"Where Is QM2?" I know the the thread . It's a good thread about the QM2 and does show the interest in the RMS QM2:)

Looking forward to hearing your feedback when you sail on the QE.

T :)

I neglected to mention-

-Reflagging the ships to Bermuda for the reason Cunard gave: to allow [some] weddings to be held on board.

I also heard that being Registered in Bermuda, Cunard/carnival

Have less restrictions about wages and hours working

That it had in the UK

It just occurred to me that the recent refit in 2011 was a change, and a welcome one.

With the exception of the promised new couches in the Britannia staterooms (I figure the old couches are still in-situ) all the changes looked good.

I expect we will have to wait for another dry dock before Todd English is converted to The Verandah - unless of course they really would do this whilst the ship is at sea.