How Has QM2 Changed since 2004?

Leucothea

Very interesting responses.

It was an interesting question.

I've noticed more ship's noises while at sea.

It is nice to be able to use a laptop in the stateroom.

That is an improvement, and I find it comforting that my MacBook fits easily into the safe.

The G32 hasn't changed much, but I still enjoy it anyway, and it often seems to be packed late at night (well, no competition).

In July G32 (at least it's upstairs port side) was a de facto cigarette lounge, day and night.

Thanks for starting this topic.

And none of them can be used to read and write emails anymore.

I don't see that as being an issue. In 2004, the only way to send an email was through a computer. Today, the vast majority of people will be carrying smartphones and/or tablets which you can send emails from if you really need to. So not replacing this functionality is quite sensible to me.

Provided you're sensible with checking that your device is connected your own mobile network before using Internet access, you can even get away with not using the ship's WiFi if you're close enough to land. I did when we went in July this year.

Many of the seats today in the planetarium are BROKEN!!! They seem to have been so since about a week after launch. I wonder if they will ever be fixed?? if not already?:)

Heck, they're still broken? I remember a lot of them were broken in 2006 too.

Heck, they're still broken? I remember a lot of them were broken in 2006 too.

I've seen many broken on various voyages. Take note of the surprising number of really obese pax & that's the reason why. We've seen the furniture changed yearly in the Chart room. The seating takes quite a bit of abuse. Removing & repairing/replacing a sofa or chair in say.. the Chart room is much easier than repairing & replacing seats in the planetarium.

I don't see that as being an issue. In 2004, the only way to send an email was through a computer. Today, the vast majority of people will be carrying smartphones and/or tablets which you can send emails from if you really need to. So not replacing this functionality is quite sensible to me.

But it was nice to be able to view your onboard spending. The entire interactive system was lost when they got rid of the email system.

Maybe they will replace it with something else with the next big refit. Or perhaps they can move to one of those app based systems that let you view this stuff via your phone or tablet. Norwegian has this for the Breakaway, and Disney has something similar for their ships.

In response to the 'it's not the same as the QE2' posters, I think it's worth noting that the QE2 was a unique ship and therefore nothing will ever compare. How can it?

I find it somewhat ironic that the greatest complainers of Cunard are some of their most frequent passengers. If I felt I wasn't getting good service I wouldn't keep paying.

Of course QM2 has changed in the past decade. Everything changes. Even the liners of the golden days of ocean travel experienced change (more frequently than you might think). Mostly, changes were designed to maximise profits (yes, even in the 1910s, 30s, 50s, etc. profit was the prime goal of shipping lines). I think you'll find that like those who criticise QM2 sporting Hamilton as the registration port so too were there people who were critical of Cunard shifting their big liner services from Liverpool to Southampton after WW1.

Few things ever remain the same. Take another example in evening dress. Before the war dress tails were worn by the men, but this gave way to the evening suit following the war. There were some who cried 'falling standards' as a result, but people adapted in time. Even today, men wear jackets in the dining room on the least formal evenings - this is still far classier than the thongs, singlets and hole ridden jeans I came across in the dining room of the Princess ship I recently sailed!

Like fashion, so too does technology. Sure, interactive TV on QM2 is gone, but is it really necessary in the age of smart phones, tablets and laptops that weigh next to nothing? This is certainly a far cry from the need to send a telegram via the wireless room on the boat deck (a costly exercise reserved for First Class passengers).

Another creature comfort that QM2 certainly has over the QE2 in her earlier days is the fact that every stateroom has a bathroom - there is no sharing. The cashless card system is also a comfort, taking away worries about carrying enough cash and fiddling with pieces of paper throughout a voyage. Sure, you cannot check out via your stateroom TV anymore, but many people don't even need to check out at all due to the credit card number handed over on embarkation.

Speaking of less hassle, what about the ease at which you can book shore excursions, make changes to your accommodation and make requests via Voyage Personaliser? That certainly wasn't available during the QE2s glory days.

While I've only sailed on the QM2 in the last year, I found her to be perfectly fine. She was beautifully decorated inside and she looked nice on the outside too. There was plenty to do and, as a single/solo passenger, I was never bored.

She also wasn't a pretentious ship and that made the experience all the more enjoyable. I like to consider myself a man of good taste and I truly couldn't find fault with the ship.

If there is to be a fault it is those who talk her down incessantly and persist in comparing her to a ship of a different age, with different technology, more relaxed laws at sea (faux wood means less fire danger), and different social and economic circumstances.

QM2 is a great ocean liner. While I'm sure that not every single change has been for the better for all (I won't pretend that's the case, despite the more positive crux of my post), it's worth remembering that without Carnival's money there would be no QM2 and very possibly no Cunard on our seas today.

I'd rather have QM2 without the clotted cream and with stewards being seen in the corridors from time to time than not sailing on her at all.

So, QM2 'is not the same' as QE2 and that's a good thing. For one, it would take away the specialness of QE2. It might also mean the loss of a great shipping line for failing to move with the times. And that would be the greater crime.

In response to the 'it's not the same as the QE2' posters, I think it's worth noting that the QE2 was a unique ship and therefore nothing will ever compare. How can it?

QM2 is a unique ship as well. But I take your point, it seems redundant to be forever comparing the current flagship to the previous ones. Was QE2 constantly compared to Queen Elizabeth?

FYI - the correct phrase is "it's not as good as the QE2". Ideally this is said in a louder than normal voice so that others may hear you. Traditionally, you then follow this up with a quick look around to see how many people you've impressed with your withering put down of Queen Mary 2.

I find it somewhat ironic that the greatest complainers of Cunard are some of their most frequent passengers. If I felt I wasn't getting good service I wouldn't keep paying.

Ahhh, the million dollar question. :roll eyes:

I don't get it either. A psychiatrist would have a field day.

Another creature comfort that QM2 certainly has over the QE2 in her earlier days is the fact that every stateroom has a bathroom - there is no sharing. The cashless card system is also a comfort, taking away worries about carrying enough cash and fiddling with pieces of paper throughout a voyage. Sure, you cannot check out via your stateroom TV anymore, but many people don't even need to check out at all due to the credit card number handed over on embarkation.

True, but I do see the advantages of being able to keep a check on your on-board spend via the TV.

Speaking of less hassle, what about the ease at which you can book shore excursions, make changes to your accommodation and make requests via Voyage Personaliser? That certainly wasn't available during the QE2s glory days.

Yes, that's absolutely a benefit. I like the advantages of the VP, it's nice to be able to go online and update your details etc.

While I've only sailed on the QM2 in the last year, I found her to be perfectly fine. She was beautifully decorated inside and she looked nice on the outside too. There was plenty to do and, as a single/solo passenger, I was never bored.

She also wasn't a pretentious ship and that made the experience all the more enjoyable. I like to consider myself a man of good taste and I truly couldn't find fault with the ship.

If there is to be a fault it is those who talk her down incessantly and persist in comparing her to a ship of a different age, with different technology, more relaxed laws at sea (faux wood means less fire danger), and different social and economic circumstances.

QM2 is a great ocean liner. While I'm sure that not every single change has been for the better for all (I won't pretend that's the case, despite the more positive crux of my post), it's worth remembering that without Carnival's money there would be no QM2 and very possibly no Cunard on our seas today.

I'd rather have QM2 without the clotted cream and with stewards being seen in the corridors from time to time than not sailing on her at all.

So, QM2 'is not the same' as QE2 and that's a good thing. For one, it would take away the specialness of QE2. It might also mean the loss of a great shipping line for failing to move with the times. And that would be the greater crime.

It's quite possible that people are in fact mourning the loss of their youth when they constantly complain about QM2 and negatively compare her to QE2. Perhaps the happiest days of their lives were (understandably) when they were younger and more active and, of course, they would have fond memories of their (younger and more active) cruises on QE2.

Maybe QM2 is a perfectly fine ship that simply suffered a backlash from an ageing demographic that cannot (or doesn't want to) move on from the QE2 - a ship which they associate with the halcyon days of their youth or middle age.

Possibly a generational change needs to occur before QM2 is accorded the veneration bestowed on QE2. In thirty years time QM2 will be nearing the end of it's lifespan. I'm sure I will still be cruising on her and will (by that time) come to think of her as fondly as some did the QE2 when she retired. Maybe Cunard will bring out a new flagship at that point, possibly I may venture onto Cruise Critic to complain about the new ship and tell the younger folk that "it's not as good as the QM2".

Whitemarsh, how right you are. When QE2 arrived, many did in fact decry that she was "Not as good as Queen Elizabeth/Queen Mary". One particular critique was her "plastic interiors". As built, she had very little wood paneling. Mostly fiberglass, glass, leather and suede. All the "Oulde English" wood paneling came much later. In fact, I always find it funny that people say she could not sail past 2010 because of all the wood in her. Not so, the added wood paneling could be stripped out easily. She is not sailing mainly because she is over 40.:eek: Not many shipowners dump tons of money into refits of such old ships. QM2 is the new "best ever".:D

Whitemarsh, how right you are. When QE2 arrived, many did in fact decry that she was "Not as good as Queen Elizabeth/Queen Mary". One particular critique was her "plastic interiors". As built, she had very little wood paneling. Mostly fiberglass, glass, leather and suede. All the "Oulde English" wood paneling came much later. In fact, I always find it funny that people say she could not sail past 2010 because of all the wood in her. Not so, the added wood paneling could be stripped out easily. She is not sailing mainly because she is over 40.:eek: Not many shipowners dump tons of money into refits of such old ships. QM2 is the new "best ever".:D

I'm still surprised some Russian Oligarch didn't snap up the QE2 when they had the chance.

Whitemarsh, how right you are. When QE2 arrived, many did in fact decry that she was "Not as good as Queen Elizabeth/Queen Mary".

Sounds about right. And I bet that some people vowed never to sail with Cunard again. Which is a near perfect example of cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.

One particular critique was her "plastic interiors". As built, she had very little wood paneling. Mostly fiberglass, glass, leather and suede. All the "Oulde English" wood paneling came much later.

Adapting to change is traditionally something we all struggle with. Look at how many people moan and whinge about the size of QM2 (in comparison to QE2). Sometimes the fiercest critics of QM2 are those who have never sailed on her.

I regret that I never had the chance to sail on QE2, if only for the comparison. If time travel were possible I would prefer to have travelled on QE2 when she was first launched, in her original condition and decor. You're fortunate to have experienced that.

In fact, I always find it funny that people say she could not sail past 2010 because of all the wood in her. Not so, the added wood paneling could be stripped out easily. She is not sailing mainly because she is over 40.:eek: Not many shipowners dump tons of money into refits of such old ships. QM2 is the new "best ever".:D

Yeah, I think you're right. What's the big deal about stripping out some wood? Obviously the deal breaker was her advanced age, lack of modern facilities (balconies) and (I'm guessing) the increased costs of maintaining an old vessel.

My first crossing on the QE2 was in 1973 when she was just four years old. I recall a lot of wood panelling. The corridors by the first class staterooms on One and Two Decks (possibly also Three Deck; I can't be sure) were panelled on one side with rich blond wood. Also, on One Deck there was the same wood panelling on both sides of a centre corridor which led to the original barber shop at one end but otherwise served no purpose. I recall using it, though, just to enjoy the wood. Many years later it was covered with wallpaper. The first time we splurged on First Class in 1979 we had a mid-ships Three Deck stateroom which was panelled on all sides with gorgeous dark wood. This was original I was told. Also, the bulkheads between most staterooms were wood, although in Tourist Class and the smaller First Class rooms these were covered with wallpaper. But even in the humblest inside cabin that I had, there was plenty of wood trim and of course the wardrobes were wood.

Many years later there was a lot of added fake wood throughout the public areas. This distressed a lot of people who liked most of the original modern design (I'm not one of them) but I appreciated the attempt to recreate a traditional appearance.

I think there would have been a huge amount of wood to remove to be SOLAS compliant. The other big problem was the proliferation of "blind corridors" in the former Tourist Class areas.

My first crossing on the QE2 was in 1973 when she was just four years old. I recall a lot of wood panelling. The corridors by the first class staterooms on One and Two Decks (possibly also Three Deck; I can't be sure) were panelled on one side with rich blond wood. Also, on One Deck there was the same wood panelling on both sides of a centre corridor which led to the original barber shop at one end but otherwise served no purpose. I recall using it, though, just to enjoy the wood. Many years later it was covered with wallpaper. The first time we splurged on First Class in 1979 we had a mid-ships Three Deck stateroom which was panelled on all sides with gorgeous dark wood. This was original I was told. Also, the bulkheads between most staterooms were wood, although in Tourist Class and the smaller First Class rooms these were covered with wallpaper. But even in the humblest inside cabin that I had, there was plenty of wood trim and of course the wardrobes were wood.

Many years later there was a lot of added fake wood throughout the public areas. This distressed a lot of people who liked most of the original modern design (I'm not one of them) but I appreciated the attempt to recreate a traditional appearance.

I think there would have been a huge amount of wood to remove to be SOLAS compliant. The other big problem was the proliferation of "blind corridors" in the former Tourist Class areas.

By 1973, she had already had changes made. See Rob Lightbody's comments Re: SOLAS compliance.

• 7 months later...

I see that this is a fairly old thread...but since I'm taking my first voyage on the QM2 in October, I was wondering what physical changes have occurred to her since new....I am not counting new furniture or decorations, rather, things like the previously mentioned extension of the bridge wings, and something about a glass floor in the buffet being covered.

Would appreciate any feedback from those familiar with the ship....:)

Aside from soft furnishings she's pretty much the same with no major changes in layout. The whistles once had a steam line running up to give them a more authentic look but that has not functioned for a while. There are no longer computer terminals in the library although the desks are still there. (Less need for wired computers since many passengers bring their own wireless devices.) Balconies have sprinklers.

Rumors abound regarding her October 2015 refit. Some creditable (quoting the chief engineer) and some not so (quoting an ex-Cunard waiter). I hope they never do anything to interrupt her wonderful wrap around promenade deck or fill in that graceful pyramid profile.

Edited by BlueRiband

Thanks for that info....I'm glad that I'll get to experience her in her mostly original design. As for future refits....well, based on certain other ships, it is usually not a positive thing, except for the corporate accountants....things like replacing a nice forward observation lounge with additional suites and cabins, or replacing a nice lounge with another extra-tariff specialty restaurant...:rolleyes:

I know how Cunard has changed. QM2 and the old QE2 are quite different.

But I'm curious to know what others think about how QM2 has changed. I first travelled on QM2 in 2004, when she was sparkling with newness. I think she still had some similarities to QE2 during her first few years also in terms of ambiance.

But since then, what changes do you think have occurred?

Also, do you think there is a different vibe on QM2 on different sailings during the year?

Most thing that have changed are just to save money nothing else,

Takes longer to across the pond, save on fuel less money.

Waiter and Asst Waiter serve 18 people which a times far to many, much better service when on a table for 2.

Pens in cabins such poor quality.

Towels with logo being but in passengers suitcases by mistake? the crockery used to have the Q.E.2 logo on the also went missing, you may laugh but true.

Ships registration moved to Hamilton, so wedding could take place, rubbish more like to save paying better wages to the lower end of the crew if still registered in Southampton.

Most of all the dress code for which Cunard is most famous for, and the introduction of the cheap fare and I am sorry to say with that, a poorer class of passenger.

Edited by luckymal

• 2 weeks later...
Nothing as of May 2014. Big disappointment Rust everywhere poor service in the Queen's Grill. Will never sail her again

That's quite a disconnect since you said stateroom 4101 was "one of the best" in post #12. I'm not aware of any QG accommodations on deck 4.

Can you elaborate? I was just on QM2 in July and saw some spots of rust being scraped and treated but not "rust everywhere". Constant maintenance is necessary for a ship exposed to salt water 24/7. I also had excellent service in the Princess Grill and would think that QG would be even better.

Edited by BlueRiband

Aside from soft furnishings she's pretty much the same with no major changes in layout. The whistles once had a steam line running up to give them a more authentic look but that has not functioned for a while. There are no longer computer terminals in the library although the desks are still there. (Less need for wired computers since many passengers bring their own wireless devices.) Balconies have sprinklers.

Rumors abound regarding her October 2015 refit. Some creditable (quoting the chief engineer) and some not so (quoting an ex-Cunard waiter). I hope they never do anything to interrupt her wonderful wrap around promenade deck or fill in that graceful pyramid profile.

I suspect some single cabins will be installed. QE has them and the 2016 World Cruise brochure for QV is advertising single cabins too.

I suspect some single cabins will be installed. QE has them and the 2016 World Cruise brochure for QV is advertising single cabins too.

We were just on the QM2 and our waiter said that single cabins are to be installed somewhere near the casino, he thought. I looked in that area and couldn't figure out where they would put them.

Had dinner at the Captain's table and he said that it would probably be 2016 before her refit happens. Maybe after the world cruise??? That's not definite - - just what he thought would happen.

We were just on the QM2 and our waiter said that single cabins are to be installed somewhere near the casino, he thought. I looked in that area and couldn't figure out where they would put them.

Had dinner at the Captain's table and he said that it would probably be 2016 before her refit happens. Maybe after the world cruise??? That's not definite - - just what he thought would happen.

I'd agree and say after the World Cruise since QM2 is the only one of the three without single cabin advertising.

Not saying it will be so in the QM2's case, but if the marketing department determines that there is a strong demand for "single cabins", they can simply remove a bed from a smaller cabin and redefine it as a "single".

And if market condition's change again, they can restore it as a "double"....

And all at virtually no cost. Of course, if single's prove popular, then it would pay to permanently install additional cabin's...

We were just on the QM2 and our waiter said that single cabins are to be installed somewhere near the casino, he thought.
I don't think it would make sense to put staterooms on 2 or 3. I think in this case the waiter was just extrapolating what he'd heard about the other two ships (where there the public decks are all the same height).

Depends if the pods can last that long.

David.