NCL Beverage Packages vs paying per drink

HellLawyer

We are getting ready for a cruise in a couple weeks and have questions about the beverage packages.

From what I am seeing everyone in the same room must all have the beverage package....is that correct?

What are the different beverage packages?

Which package would Grey Goose be in?

Is bottled water offered with the soda package?

Hi and welcome to CC!

Yes, all adults in same cabin must purchase the package and all minors need to get the soda package.

There is the Ultimate Beverage Package ($49+15%pp/day) that includes "all" alcohol (within price limits) and Corks and Caps ($45+15%pp/day) that includes only wine and beer (within price limits).

Gray Goose is considered Super Premium brand and is not included in UBP at all. See included and excluded brands here: http://www.pdf.ncl.eu/already_booked/gift_packages/gift_packages/BeverageBrandsList2013.pdf

Bottled water is not included in any of the packages.

Edited by Demonyte

The Ultimate Beverage Package is $49/day plus gratuity - so it is $56.35/day per person. All adults in the room must purchase it. If there are minors in the room, they must purchase the soda package. Bottled water is not included with the soda.

I just purchased the UBP on Breakaway and drank Grey Goose without issue. It's cocktails under $8.50, wine under $10 and bottled beer under $5.50 and draft beer under $5.95. I drank some drink of the days and some frozen drinks and they're covered as well, you just don't get the souvenir glass. I drank GG Orange with diet sierra mist and that was covered.

Hope that helps.

The Ultimate Beverage Package is $49/day plus gratuity - so it is $56.35/day per person. All adults in the room must purchase it. If there are minors in the room, they must purchase the soda package. Bottled water is not included with the soda.

I just purchased the UBP on Breakaway and drank Grey Goose without issue. It's cocktails under $8.50, wine under $10 and bottled beer under $5.50 and draft beer under $5.95. I drank some drink of the days and some frozen drinks and they're covered as well, you just don't get the souvenir glass. I drank GG Orange with diet sierra mist and that was covered.

Hope that helps.

Yep, every cocktail I had with GG was covered (and I drank quite a lot of them!). I'm usually a wine drinker, but had so much fun trying new drinks (including every drink of the day).

Also, they had a bottled water package which was 24 1L bottles of water. Evan i think. I think we paid around $65 and it lasted the entire cruise. Nice to have them all in our room too.

The bottled water prices onboard are outrageous - one could get the same case of water from a shop on shore and bring it onboard for at least half or two thirds less than what the ship charges, even with the "package". We have brought a case of 24 bottles of still water onboard for what ship would have charged for just two one litre bottles. We've also brought a full case of small Pellegrino bottles for a price of two large bottles onboard and getting at least three times worth of water.

Edited by Demonyte

Just off the NCL Sky & Epic.

Purchased drink package on both cruises. On the Epic they just put a sticker on your sea pass card that says UBP, however on the Sky we had to wear a wrist band ( which was kind of annoying) along with the sticker on our card.

We came out ahead on both cruises. I mainly did it so I didn't have to worry about our bar bill at the end of the cruise.

Both cruises we had grey goose with no problem. Actually had a few chocolate martini's and Washington apple martini's, all covered. Not sure if they were supposed to be covered, but every time I asked the bartender he said sure. (maybe it was because I tipped him pretty good?) Only problem I came across was on the Epic we went to the Teppanyaki and I ordered the "special martini" after I asked the server if it was included in the UBP and he said yes, however it never came off of my bill. When I went to guest services I had no trouble with getting them to take the charge off. They were very helpful, and did not give me any hassle.

On the Epic you can track your drinks from the TV in yuor stateroom. All your drinks show up on there, but if you go to guest services and get a bill printed out, no alcoholic beverages will show up. On disembarkation day, if you turn the TV on the balance on the TV will be how much $$ you would of paid for the drinks if you didn’t get the UBP. We went with a large group of people and all of us seemed to come out ahead.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Edited by vacalover99

Also see this list for a fairly accurate description on what is included.

http://mrose.org/cc/BeverageBrandsList2013.pdf

Exactly the same file I linked from NCL website. ;)

It's dated January 2013, which is really old for anything having to do with the UBP. Do they provide a more up-to-date list on the ship when people sign up?

I wonder why they don't drop this "special premium" and "ultra premium" exclusion and just apply the $8.50 limit for all liquors and cocktails. Maybe that's what they're doing, and that's why Grey Goose seems to be included now. (Anyone know how much a shot of Grey Goose costs on board?)

Only problem I came across was on the Epic we went to the Teppanyaki and I ordered the "special martini" after I asked the server if it was included in the UBP and he said yes, however it never came off of my bill. When I went to guest services I had no trouble with getting them to take the charge off. They were very helpful, and did not give me any hassle.
Having to go to Guest Services is already kind of a hassle, especially on the last night of the cruise. I wish they would make it so that the effects of the UBP would be apparent on the TV account throughout the cruise, without having to ask for a print out. In general the whole thing seems like it was designed in 1993, not in 2013… A sticker and a wristband? Edited by hawkeyetlse

So, if I'm reading all the posts and NCL literature correctly, no bottled water, no coffee drinks, no energy drinks and no fresh squeezed juice's are included in The Ultimate Beverage Package. Not very Ultimate IMHO. Did the Premium Alcohol Package On Celebrity and it pretty much included everything, even gave a 30% discount on bottled wine. Hopefully by next June NCL makes some changes, not holding my breath..lol

• 3 weeks later...
I don't know if I'm a lightweight, but when trying to figure out the break even point, it seems like you would need to buy 7 drinks per adult per day to come out ahead.

If I drank 7 drinks per day on a cruise, I'm not certain I'd remember it :D:p

Not only am I a reactive hypoglycemic (so I would just fall asleep as my blood sugar plummeted) but I would probably gain 10 pounds just from drinking! Yikes!

But it would be nice to taste all those drinks...

If you get the drink package, do they charge you for the day you get off the ship? For example, do you get charged for 8 days on a 7 night cruise even though you get off the ship so early on the 8th day?

you're not charged for disembarkation day. So if you're on a 7 day cruise starting Saturday, you're charged for Sat/Sun/Mon/Tue/Wed/Thur/Fri or 7 days.

Can anyone tell me what the limit is on the number of drinks you are allowed under the different packages? I would like to be able to try some new ones but would not want to us up my limit on the ones I don't like. I am mainly a beer and wine drinker so I am trying to decide if the Corks and Caps might be better for me.

Can anyone tell me what the limit is on the number of drinks you are allowed under the different packages? I would like to be able to try some new ones but would not want to us up my limit on the ones I don't like. I am mainly a beer and wine drinker so I am trying to decide if the Corks and Caps might be better for me.

Unless you are out of control (and this applies even if you are paying by the drink), there is no published limit (as in drink count) with any of the beverage packages.

Edited by Demonyte

You can only order one drink at a time per person, but there is no stated limit on the number of times you can do this. If you visit a bunch of different bars and get 10 drinks in 10 minutes, or if you order 100 drinks in one day, I'm sure they will come and take a closer look at what you're doing, but as far as I know, no one here has admitted to engaging in this sort of behavior.

Corks & Caps is not good value compared to the UBP. You only have to drink one cocktail per day (or one whatever) on top of your beer and wine to justify going for the full package.

I just got off the phone with NCL looking for multi cabins for spring break and was informed that March is blacked out for the alcohol beverage packages.

Yes, ever since UBP was lauched it has not been available between March 1 and April 15. Same goes with the new C&C package too.

Edited by Demonyte

Trying to find out if I can get a cappuccino or espresso with this package. I'm getting conflicting stories on a number of threads. I get that the specialty coffees are excluded but it just seems ridiculous that I can get a cocktail for $8.50 or wine for $10 and not a $2.50 cappuccino. I would have 3-4 during a day some with a shot of Jameson or Baily's. These are included in packages on other lines. Come on NCL, I would love to give you $788.90...:D

Sorry, no espresso drinks included. Actually, there are some alcoholic cocktails that call for a shot of espresso as an ingredient and that cost less than $8.50, so maybe those are included. But a plain espresso or a cappuccino you'll have to pay extra for.

I would have 3-4 during a day some with a shot of Jameson or Baily's

I suppose that is exactly why they're not included…

Edited by hawkeyetlse