Seuss at Sea

winddawn

...Carnival feels is has to compete with the Disney. The assumption is they have the senior/adult/spring break markets wrapped up? Families do make up a larger share of vacationers.

At first I was almost excited! Who doesn't love some "Cat in the Hat," or "One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish?" But I've grown concerned since that this may go very Ikea very quickly. :eek:

(Oh! And I think we finally figured out where the table clothes have gone. There going to need lots of fabric for those costumes :p)

Who blew it up to be such big news? Not Carnival. I didn't see anything about some huge announcement plastered all over their website nor did I get nary an email saying BIG ANNOUNCEMENT TO COME! . It wasn't on the evening news. It was an industry announcement - therefore insular. I wouldn't have likely known a thing about it until I boarded a ship. So I don't get why the disappointment. And I knew it wouldn't have to do with kids sailing free.

That said, I think this is a cute addition. Dr. Seuss is classic and as a kid I always got a kick out of his stories. And I've enjoyed reading those same books to my own kids. I do wish they would come up with more for the tween group. But this is a step in the right direction. To each his or her own. I like Dr. Seuss.:)

Edited by cruizinisthebest

Hmmmm......Pay extra for breakfast and the rest seems to revolve around "special photo opportunities" Just another annoying way to nickle and dime people. Not even gonna bring up the fact that I hate Dr. Seuss.........

Weren't we told Carnival would never charge anything in the dining rooms?

Weren't we told Carnival would never charge anything in the dining rooms?

True--but, I'm not sure this is mandatory. They obviously haven't laid everything out, but they still have to deal with the comedy brunch.

I wonder how they'll accommodate both on ships that have one MDR (Fantasy and Spirit class).

Even my teens will love this, too bad it won't be on the Breeze by the time we sail :(

Surely all the scrooge cruisers will at least relate to and want to meet the real scrooge! (Who knows maybe all the Who's in Who's Ville (all of us having fun) will actually help all the scrooges' grow hearts 3 times the size!)

We are a family with a young child that cruises together and I believe this is a huge mistake for Carnival. The prices are what attracts families to Carnival over Disney but going Disneyesque with the Suess branding will turn away families w/teens, couples, groups w/out kids........pretty much any adults without a child under 9.There plan to steal some of the Disney share will back fire when it costs them a greater % of their current customers. This is a great day for Royal, Princess ect. Im glad Im not a carnival share holder :eek:

There was a post started here announcing that today's news would be GROUNDBREAKING.

Even Premier (BIG RED BOAT) cruise lines had characters before they went belly up.

Well that was overreach being that other lines have already partnered up with characters and brands. But my point was that Carnival didn't blow it up to be some huge groundbreaking announcement. The link provided is about business news. Nothing more.

...Carnival feels is has to compete with the Disney. The assumption is they have the senior/adult/spring break markets wrapped up? Families do make up a larger share of vacationers.

At first I was almost excited! Who doesn't love some "Cat in the Hat," or "One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish?" But I've grown concerned since that this may go very Ikea very quickly. :eek:

(Oh! And I think we finally figured out where the table clothes have gone. There going to need lots of fabric for those costumes :p)

Carnival does not compete with Disney, but they do compete with RCCL and NCL for your family vacation dollar.

Mr grandson is 2 1/2 and a big time reader with hundreds of books but dont recall ever seeing any Dr Suess.

Have asked them whether Micah has heard of Dr Suess and curious to hear the answer.

Hopefully they will not expect us to be paying for this as we have zero interest and typically cruise outside of summer months where very few small kids are on the ship.

RCL, Disney, and NCL all have character, but they are TV based. Carnival chose a literary theme. Yes, it caters more to the younger kids, but I highly doubt Dr Seuss is visiting in circle C lol, and I for one prefer it to a bunch of TV characters. the comedy brunch wasn't really any better than the regular breakfast anyway, 5 minutes of comedy for a 45 minute meal. This Dr Seuss $5 breakfast will take place on ONE day, a buffet for one meal isn't that big of a deal...let's go back to complaining about table cloths...I will probably spring for the $5 for the character breakfast for my kids, and hey, there probably won't be any kids screaming in the buffet to annoy the childless people, right? :) I think this is a nice addition.

Is there an age limit? Heck, I might even go. :D

Me, too! I'm a self-admitted Disney snob when it comes to characters, but heck yeah I'd go -- how often do you get to enjoy pancakes with a 6-foot tall cat? :D

Of course, the real question will remain: Will Sam I Am take away our tablecloths?

I think Dr. Seuss is fine. Universal does not have a Dr. Seuss section because he's outdated. I'm sure the Vista will have a an absolutely fun decor for the little ones.

Not sure why they are charging $5 for the character meet at breakfast though.

Heck, Build a Bear costs extra what's one more activity to keep the kids out from under my feet? Our cruise fares already subsidize the kid's clubs.

I don't recall a price increase when Carnival added Club 02 and Circle C which certainly take up valuable dedicated floor space. Something that just shares space with an existing venue? Why not? Get behind me Grinch!

We are a family with a young child that cruises together and I believe this is a huge mistake for Carnival. The prices are what attracts families to Carnival over Disney but going Disneyesque with the Suess branding will turn away families w/teens, couples, groups w/out kids........pretty much any adults without a child under 9.There plan to steal some of the Disney share will back fire when it costs them a greater % of their current customers. This is a great day for Royal, Princess ect. Im glad Im not a carnival share holder :eek:

Can't see how this will hurt Carnival. They are not rebranding the fleet, just offering enhancements to the children program.

Heck, Build a Bear costs extra what's one more activity to keep the kids out from under my feet? Our cruise fares already subsidize the kid's clubs.

I don't recall a price increase when Carnival added Club 02 and Circle C which certainly take up valuable dedicated floor space. Something that just shares space with an existing venue? Why not? Get behind me Grinch!

I get behind this idea as long as they are not taking away the FREE Seaday brunch from everyone else who does not want to pay 5.00 for breakfast. As long as this is an added option and not taking away the free sit down brunch, I am fine with it...

I don't think it is Disney they are trying to compete with...It's NCL with Sponge Bob and Dora and RCCL with whatever characters they have now (don't really know who but I know they have them :o). My kids are teens now so they won't get much from this...same as they don't get much from Sponge Bob when we sail NCL...but we still sail NCL for the other reasons. But the younger kids seem to enjoy the characters and activities and if my kids were younger, I think they would enjoy Dr. Seuss. I remember the Foot Book being a favorite with DS and Hop on Pop was one of DD's favorite books to read. I can't wait to have Grand Kids to spoil....now we will have to take them on Disney for Mickey, NCL for Dora, CCL for the Cat in the Hat and RCCL for :confused:....sorry really don't know who they have:D.

Can't see how this will hurt Carnival. They are not rebranding the fleet, just offering enhancements to the children program.

I hope your right that its just a small enhancment to the childrens program but to me it looks like Carnivals plans are more than that......

I disagree. NCL and RCCL both have characters and that doesn't turn away families w/teens, couples, groups w/out kids.... It just adds to the experience of those with the younger children.

I don't think it is Disney they are trying to compete with...It's NCL with Sponge Bob and Dora and RCCL with whatever characters they have now (don't really know who but I know they have them :o). My kids are teens now so they won't get much from this...same as they don't get much from Sponge Bob when we sail NCL...but we still sail NCL for the other reasons. But the younger kids seem to enjoy the characters and activities and if my kids were younger, I think they would enjoy Dr. Seuss. I remember the Foot Book being a favorite with DS and Hop on Pop was one of DD's favorite books to read. I can't wait to have Grand Kids to spoil....now we will have to take them on Disney for Mickey, NCL for Dora, CCL for the Cat in the Hat and RCCL for :confused:....sorry really don't know who they have:D.

When they see empty dining rooms for breakfast on the first couple of ships, that machine that the Cat in the Hat uses will come and pick up all things Suess.

I disagree. NCL and RCCL both have characters and that doesn't turn away families w/teens, couples, groups w/out kids.... It just adds to the experience of those with the younger children.

So 5 bucks for everyone whether you want to meet This or That, Thing 1, or Thing 2?