Seuss at Sea

winddawn

I like the addition of Dr. Seuss.

And have no problem plunking down the $25 for my family to have green eggs & ham. :)

My wife of 68 yrs. old/young will probably want us to do it, just once, for fun

if available to couples without kids along.

WILL THIS be available on VALOR in mid-February??

Edited by Aplmac

We are a family with a young child that cruises together and I believe this is a huge mistake for Carnival. The prices are what attracts families to Carnival over Disney but going Disneyesque with the Suess branding will turn away families w/teens, couples, groups w/out kids........pretty much any adults without a child under 9.There plan to steal some of the Disney share will back fire when it costs them a greater % of their current customers. This is a great day for Royal, Princess ect. Im glad Im not a carnival share holder :eek:

Come on, that as silly as saying someone would abandon ship if Carnival lost their mind and remove table cloth from the MDR. Opps, sorry carry on I see your point:D:)

I doubt they are going after the Disney market, they are in a class by themselves. If price is a major factor for these families, where are they going to go. Carnival is a good and affordable product for families with young children. They are adding something so it can only help, unlike the take away in the MDR.......JMOP

Hi all!

I haven't read the whole thread but do want to say it sounds like a fun addition to me. My kids ( aged 35+) grew up with Dr Seuss books & I love rhymes.

The characters on NCL & RCL are lost on me but not Dr Seuss.

$5.00 for green eggs & ham sounds good to me.:o

~ Jo ~ :)

My only issue with this is that it seems somewhat outdated. The Lorax movie came out almost two years ago (longer by the time Seuss at Sea rolls out fleet-wide in 2015) and the (new) Grinch movie came out 13-14 years ago. Suess-stuff is not really of high interest to most kids over 8, and to be honest, probably not much interest to most kids UNDER 8, in today's world of iPad pacifiers.

To me, it reeks of Carnival's board of directors saying, "Well, what can we bring on board that might appeal to kids and won't cost us much?"

To me, it reeks of Carnival's board of directors saying,

"Well, what can we bring on board that might appeal to kids and won't cost us much?"

Corporate thinks that way, and if you or I were Corporate too

we'd be thinking that way, given the low prices of our cruise product.

Come on, that as silly as saying someone would abandon ship if Carnival lost their mind and remove table cloth from the MDR. Opps, sorry carry on I see your point:D:)

I doubt they are going after the Disney market, they are in a class by themselves. If price is a major factor for these families, where are they going to go. Carnival is a good and affordable product for families with young children. They are adding something so it can only help, unlike the take away in the MDR.......JMOP

I agree with you. Not all families can afford a Disney cruise and if Carnival offers a cruise at half (or less) the price and gives the kids breakfast with The Cat in the Hat for a few bucks more I think it will win some families over to Carnival. They are offering something more to young families. Now, Carnival, give us grown ups something to keep us on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by 42CruiseCrazy

Corporate thinks that way, and if you or I were Corporate too

we'd be thinking that way, given the low prices of our cruise product.

Don't get me wrong, I'm GLAD they think that way, as opposed to wanting to bring stuff on board that costs a lot. But, sometimes, trying to be ultra-frugal makes the end product just look cheap and embarrassing. I'd rather they didn't do anything instead of doing something half-a**ed.

Disney has, well, Disney characters. Enough said.

NCL has SpongeBob, Dora, and other characters from currently-popular Nickelodeon shows.

Carnival has characters from Dr. Seuss books that are 60 years old.

Anyone else see the issue?

I understand the concern over Seuss creations versus up-to-the-minute popular characters, but what happens when Spongebob and Dora's creators call it quits and move on to other projects. Will these characters have the same enduring appeal and be as instantly recognized as a Cat in the Hat or a Grinch in ten years?

And by enduring appeal - I mean the literary characters, not the Jim Carrey movie versions which are themselves "late on the scene" as far as Suess history goes.

I think this is a good move, and after watching the video of the Seuss character breakfast - I just may have to try it myself. And I am not that young anymore, and never had children.

Edited by Sea Raven

I'm happy about this (since I still have a little one and some grandchildren). I think it's a great idea. NCL has Nickelodeon and my upcoming cruise next week will have the characters on it. They say it's not overwhelming or in your face unless you go to the events. So hopefully this will not be either for those of you that don't have children or want to participate. :)

NCL has SpongeBob, Dora, and other characters from currently-popular Nickelodeon shows.

You left out RCL and Dreamworks- Shrek, Madagascar, are still pretty popular, plus Dreamworks makes a new summer hit movie every year.

Funny how CCL cheerleaders will say CCL is a leader and innovator when the fact say just the opposite.

They are the last to have character tie ins, so much for being a leader!

Don't get me wrong, I'm GLAD they think that way, as opposed to wanting to bring stuff on board that costs a lot. But, sometimes, trying to be ultra-frugal makes the end product just look cheap and embarrassing. I'd rather they didn't do anything instead of doing something half-a**ed.

How old do you think Mickey and Minnie are? Older than 60. That's for sure. Perhaps Dr. Seuss doesn't get the hype because being fond of and familiar with the character requires reading. Not just watching television. And while I do love Disney (not much of a Dora fan, can't stand spongebob) as a parent I'm over the over commercialized brand of Disney. Nickelodeon isn't quite as bad. I've always appreciated Dr. Seuss' educational values and the focus on storytelling. Guess we're old fashioned. No issue here.

Hasn't anyone been to Islands of Adventure in Orlando? They have a Dr Seussland and it's simply amazing and so much fun!

Seuss_Landing.jpg

2479060879_4b31f90706.jpg

Seuss+Landing.jpg

tumblr_mi4mrrAQ121rppxvfo1_500.jpg

The place is amazing. Now I'm not saying that the ship will be like this by any means. Just saying Dr Seuss has been loved by many young and old and I think Carnival made a step in the right direction by doing something "family themed". That's what other ships have done. :D

How old do you think Mickey and Minnie are? Older than 60. That's for sure. Perhaps Dr. Seuss doesn't get the hype because being fond of and familiar with the character requires reading. Not just watching television. And while I do love Disney (not much of a Dora fan, can't stand spongebob) as a parent I'm over the over commercialized brand of Disney. Nickelodeon isn't quite as bad. I've always appreciated Dr. Seuss' educational values and the focus on storytelling. Guess we're old fashioned. No issue here.

Do you think a six year old cares how old these characters are? To a child it's always new at the first visit and sometimes hearing that the parents grew up with the same characters makes the character seem more "real".

Do you think a six year old cares how old these characters are? To a child it's always new at the first visit and sometimes hearing that the parents grew up with the same characters makes the character seem more "real".

Ummm no I don't care. I think you have it twisted. I DON'T have an issue with Dr. Seuss being an "old" character. As I've said many pages back, I enjoyed him as a child myself. And yes my own have read out of a few of the same books my parents read to us. I was responding to a poster suggesting that Dr. Seuss is too old to be interesting to kids, which I totally disagree with. Especially since many Disney characters are older.

I am very happy about this, at least I know who they are. I enjoy watching them and the children get so excited. I am booked for a cruise this month and November 2014 on the Splendor taking my children and grandson, he will be 18 months. He will love it and I will love it watching him.

Thank you Carnival, great idea!!!!

Dorene