Seuss at Sea

winddawn

I think it's great. Suess is a classic - it's not going to go out of style (a la Shrek, Madagascar, etc). The Lorax did very well in theatres and the Grinch is still a classic with both movies shown each year; And I think I recall a "1 fish, 2 fish, red fish, blue fish" movie being in the works.

I'll pay $5 to enjoy that character breakfast.

(I find it ironic that Carnival will now have a character breakfast but DCL's 2 newest ships - the Disney Dream and the Disney Fantasy - do not have a character breakfast).

I get behind this idea as long as they are not taking away the FREE Seaday brunch from everyone else who does not want to pay 5.00 for breakfast. As long as this is an added option and not taking away the free sit down brunch, I am fine with it...

I don't fear losing the INCLUDED Seaday brunch. Most Carnival ships have more than one MDR.

True--but, I'm not sure this is mandatory. They obviously haven't laid everything out, but they still have to deal with the comedy brunch.

I wonder how they'll accommodate both on ships that have one MDR (Fantasy and Spirit class).

Fantasy Class has a second MDR in the aft under the Lounge/Serenity Deck. Took us 10 cruises (on three different ships) to figure out the easy way to get to that MDR.

I must say, this is better than what I expected this kids' program to be. Dr. Seuss fits in with the Fun Ships. They're classic characters that are enjoyable for kids and nostalgic for adults. Heck, I've seen 30-something men and women dress up as Dr. Seuss characters for Halloween, and get great reactions from people around them. The only age group I can see having a problem with the program is kids age 9 to 15, who are still trying to distance themselves from being a kid, rather than embracing it as nostalgia. Little kids can interact with the characters, and adults can joke around with them or simply tune them out. (Case in point: Six Flags parks are still good for adults, even with the Looney Toons characters walking around, partially because Looney Toons are a classic.) People can even take pictures with them while dressed up for Elegant Night, just for the irony of it. So I'm pleased to find out that this is the program Carnival decided to go with, rather than something that makes degenerate into a Disney Cruise Line wannabe.

I clearly remember liking Dr. Seuss better than Disney as a kid. From an adult perspective, I think Dr. Seuss has a "edge" to it, if you will: over-the-top characters like Thing One and Thing Two, clever catchphrases that everybody recognizes, and non-preaching moral lessons. It teaches kids social values in a funny, straightforward manner (such as "Sneeches are Sneeches", with or without stars), and even pokes fun at adults a little bit.

Most of Disney, on the other hand, is either sickly sweet (like Winnie the Pooh, a bastardization of A. A. Milne) or shallow and materialistic (like Hannah Montana and Radio Disney). Classics like DuckTales or Chip and Dale are great, but they're overshadowed by newer Disney stuff that's just plain bad.

I do have one question, though. Both the seaday brunch and the Dr. Seuss character breakfast are on a sea day. Most ships have two dining rooms, so they'll manage there: the brunch where it always was, and the breakfast in the previously vacant room. But how will they have both events on Spirit class ships with only one dining room? Will they have the brunch on one level and the character breakfast on the other?

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

So 5 bucks for everyone whether you want to meet This or That, Thing 1, or Thing 2?

Did they say that was how it was going to work or are you assuming? It didn't work that way on NCL. I wasn't forced to pay for a character breakfast to eat breakfast, even though they did have one that had a charge....I'm pretty sure Carnival won't make you either:rolleyes:. Let's just wait and see how this pans out before complaining about the assumtions posters are making.

I think Dr. Seuss is fine. Universal does not have a Dr. Seuss section because he's outdated. I'm sure the Vista will have a an absolutely fun decor for the little ones.

Not sure why they are charging $5 for the character meet at breakfast though.

Universal Orlando has plenty of Dr. Seuss related stuff in the Islands of Adventures section. And I wouldn't say he's outdated. My school district still recognizes his birthday every year with pajama day and Dr. Seuss themed lunch, storytime, etc. And all the elementary grades observe it. And in my home we read Dr. Seuss on a regular basis. There's a Wocket in my Pocket is one of my favorites.:p

Universal Orlando has plenty of Dr. Seuss related stuff in the Islands of Adventures section. And I wouldn't say he's outdated. My school district still recognizes his birthday every year with pajama day and Dr. Seuss themed lunch, storytime, etc. And all the elementary grades observe it. And in my home we read Dr. Seuss on a regular basis. There's a Wocket in my Pocket is one of my favorites.:p

I agree, Dr. Suess is timeless and still very loved.

I

I do have one question, though. Both the seaday brunch and the Dr. Seuss character breakfast are on a sea day. Most ships have two dining rooms, so they'll manage there: the brunch where it always was, and the breakfast in the previously vacant room. But how will they have both events on Spirit class ships with only one dining room? Will they have the brunch on one level and the character breakfast on the other?

After next year there won't be many Spirit class ships left, but they could use the steakhouse.

I agree, in fact my Dr. Seuss cookie jar is from Islands of Adventure. :D

We are a family with a young child that cruises together and I believe this is a huge mistake for Carnival. The prices are what attracts families to Carnival over Disney but going Disneyesque with the Suess branding will turn away families w/teens, couples, groups w/out kids........pretty much any adults without a child under 9.There plan to steal some of the Disney share will back fire when it costs them a greater % of their current customers. This is a great day for Royal, Princess ect. Im glad Im not a carnival share holder :eek:

I have a 15 year old and I have to agree with you. I am HAPPY for the families with small kids... ( and I am not a "hater" or a "scrooge") but my Dr. Suess days are done and that is how I choose to keep it. I hope its NOT on the Dream in October.

I sorry, but I'm just not seeing what's the big deal if they add Dr Seuss.:confused:

RCI has the Dreamworks characters (Shrek/Fiona, etc) and I think they are adorable. Just because they are onboard doesn't mean you are going to interact with them 24/7. On RCI there are times the characters are out and other times not......so you can "choose" if you want to see them.

And for those fussing about the $5 breakfast, I know RCI charges to have breakfast with Barbie, so I don't see it as a big deal either. That is something you "choose" to do, or not.

Really folks.....to all of you being so negative....why would you care if they put something onboard to make the little ones smile? Don't you remember what it's like to watch things through the eyes of child....it's a beautiful thing! ;)

I do not care for Dr Seuss, but I still think this idea is a good one. My kids would have been all about this when they were small. I do not think anyone has to be worried about being exposed to this anymore than you are currently exposed to camp carnival on a cruise. Since it is a paid venue, I seriously doubt it would interfere with the normal brunch. Has to be its own location.

I sorry, but I'm just not seeing what's the big deal if they add Dr Seuss.:confused:

RCI has the Dreamworks characters (Shrek/Fiona, etc) and I think they are adorable. Just because they are onboard doesn't mean you are going to interact with them 24/7. On RCI there are times the characters are out and other times not......so you can "choose" if you want to see them.

And for those fussing about the $5 breakfast, I know RCI charges to have breakfast with Barbie, so I don't see it as a big deal either. That is something you "choose" to do, or not.

Really folks.....to all of you being so negative....why would you care if they put something onboard to make the little ones smile? Don't you remember what it's like to watch things through the eyes of child....it's a beautiful thing! ;)

Simply that they will be serving Green Eggs and Ham.

And Sam doesn't like Green Eggs and ham. Not sure any Carnival customer would either.

Simply that they will be serving Green Eggs and Ham.

And Sam doesn't like Green Eggs and ham. Not sure any Carnival customer would either.

Obviously you haven't been on a ship that has the theme characters, because when you have a "character breakfast" they always have their own things they eat in their own designated dining area.

I am sure they will not be serving the whole ship "green eggs and ham"......LOL..... (you do know the term "green eggs and ham" is the name of one of the Dr Seuss books?)

Edited by GTO-Girl

Don't really care about the inclusion of character parades and meals or whatever because most mass market cruise lines have them but Carnival is always late to the party.

Waited too long to hop on the character themed kids programs bandwagon and now they're stuck with Dr. Seuss. Disney vs. Nickelodeon vs Dreamworks....vs Dr Seuss. Oh well. At least theres a bunch of adults here that absolutely LOVE the idea.

I am sorry, where did it say they were keeping the brunch and using the steakhouse for ships with one dining room. I am glad they decided this.

Sarge made the suggestion Carnival serve the Seuss breakfast in the steakhouse and I agreed that would be a solution.