January temp.

FAMILYCRUISER514

The weather in NYC will be cold (I live there), and it will remain cold until later in the afternoon of the 2nd day. By then, you will be off the cost of North/South Carolina. Once you reach that point, the weather is (generally) in the 60's. Weather will remain in the 60's & 70's until you get south of Florida. Once you get south of Florida and into Caribbean, you'll most likely encounter weather in the mid 70's. Water temperature in the Caribbean will be in the low-mid 70's.

The weather in NYC will be cold (I live there), and it will remain cold until later in the afternoon of the 2nd day. By then, you will be off the cost of North/South Carolina. Once you reach that point, the weather is (generally) in the 60's. Weather will remain in the 60's & 70's until you get south of Florida. Once you get south of Florida and into Caribbean, you'll most likely encounter weather in the mid 70's. Water temperature in the Caribbean will be in the low-mid 70's.

Winter temperatures in the Caribbean are reliably in the 80's - with sea water temperatures in the high 70's to around 80. The conditions you mention are more like what is to be expected in the Bahamas.

It is always summer weather in the Caribbean.

The temperatures do not vary that much throughout the year but it gets more humid in late spring, summer and early fall.

You will want summer clothing and perhaps a light water proof jacket in case of rain.

We sailed Noordam from NYC, very early January 2007, and the day we boarded, we ate lunch outside on Lido deck with not much more than a sweater. It was ridiculously out of season weather and was glorious. We are from Boston so understand what January weather in NYC should be. We were so lucky.

We sailed at about 6 P.M. and when we woke the next morning, we were about off the coast of Virginia. We were able to enjoy outside decks all that sea day with mild temperatures. We reached south Florida or even Nassau (I don't clearly recall) the next morning.

The return trip from Caribbean back to NYC at the end of the cruise, the temperatures were chillier and we spent less time on weather decks.

We sailed Noordam from NYC, very early January 2007, and the day we boarded, we ate lunch outside on Lido deck with not much more than a sweater. It was ridiculously out of season weather and was glorious. We are from Boston so understand what January weather in NYC should be. We were so lucky.

We sailed at about 6 P.M. and when we woke the next morning, we were about off the coast of Virginia. We were able to enjoy outside decks all that sea day with mild temperatures. We reached south Florida or even Nassau (I don't clearly recall) the next morning.

The return trip from Caribbean back to NYC at the end of the cruise, the temperatures were chillier and we spent less time on weather decks.

I sailed Noordam out of New York in mid-January of 2007. Muster drill was agony with temp around 20 and a strong wind coming across the Hudson from New Jersey -- all prolonged by people not listening and answering when their cabin Nos. were called. Still, by noon the next day we were off the Virginia Capes in 70 degrees.

I wish HAL would return to New York for winter sailings.

It could be chilly until you reach South Florida. We've sailed out of Port Canaveral in January several times & more than once I was in jacket & jeans the first evening. Once you hit the Bahamas it should be at least the mid 70s.

• 3 weeks later...