Live on Ruby 4 Day - 12/14

NewPennCruiser

Greetings from Fort Lauderdale as we get ready to board the Ruby later today for it’s first post Trans Atlantic cruise. I’m not really attempting to do an extensive “live” thread here…. but will check in daily. In any case, this is the Ruby’s first short cruise since getting back to Florida and I noticed lots of people had questions about these 4 and 5 days cruises like we did, so I thought I would start this thread and answer questions that I can and provide an opportunity for others Onboard to chime in as well if they can.

We were looking to get away for a long weekend with some warm weather and it was hard to pass up this deal. With the rates they were throwing out there to fill the ship, a balcony room for 2 was cheaper than a hotel in Florida for a few days. I’m really curious to see how full the ship will actually be by the time we sail since it was over half empty when we booked.

As noted elsewhere on the Board, the ship got back into PE last night around 11:00 so we’ll see if the early arrival has any affect at all on embarkation today. Since it has just returned to U.S. waters I’m expecting a "slow" day but we’ll see. It’s also a very busy day in Port so the afternoon parade of ships should be fun to watch. I’ll check back in later this evening.

Dave

Is this one of the "free" cruises? We'll be on the Jan. 18th sailing, and I'm wondering if you will notice cutbacks because of the free sailings.

We had booked prior to the "free" cruise sale but yes I think it is. I'm really curious to see some differences as well; we've never been on a cruise shorter than 7 days and have never cruised during this "mid" Holiday season. They really had a hard time filling the ship. Interior rates were as low as $129. Dave

Edited by NewPennCruiser

I've booked three of the short cruises on the Ruby in the special sale, so I will be following this with interest. I would not be going if they were not "free", as the itineraries aren't so hot. I notice January 2015 the Ruby is doing seven days.

Edited by Wehwalt

Hi Dave thank you for answering questions. We are sailing on the 18th and can't wait. Can you tell me if there is a formal night? Also how much the Sancuary and the Thermal suite is for the entire cruise? Thank you and have a great cruise!

Thought I would do a quick post about embarkation while I have cell service. We didn't rush to get here and arrived at terminal 21 at about 12:30. We were in our room in about an hour despite embarkation starting late. There was a full coast guard inspection this morning along with the usual things that go on when a ship returns on its transatlantic.

Everything is decorated nicely for the Holidays and at first glance it seems like they plan to have about as many activities as a longer cruise. For example there is a full production show tonight along with the welcome aboard show. Muster drill was late and it's 20 til 5 and we aren't leaving yet. Will post more details later... We're off for a drink or 2 for sail away.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you mean by " free cruise?". I am booked on the jan. 4 th one...cheap but not free. Please explain

You should get all of your money back after you sail in the form of FCC. This refund can be applied to any 7 day cruise in 2014. It should be noted on your My Princess account after you sail. So, this cruise is not exactly "free", but it goes toward a 7 day later this year.

Janet

You should get all of your money back after you sail in the form of FCC. This refund can be applied to any 7 day cruise in 2014. It should be noted on your My Princess account after you sail. So, this cruise is not exactly "free", but it goes toward a 7 day later this year.

Janet

Seven days or longer, actually. And you don't get the port charges/taxes back. It's a good enough deal though that I'm spending two weeks on the Ruby (4th, 9th, 13th).

NewPennCruiser-

Really appreciate your posting. Like many others have not booked a short cruise ever,in our case nothing less than 10 days in over 7 years.

This deal has us on 5 BTB's, and while we know will enjoy them regardless of the lengths, we are curious how they will compare with longer cruises.

Look forward to your comments on everything from difference in mix of passengers, entertainment, activities etc., but most of all just the general "feel" vs. longer cruises.

Thanks again-will follow you every day.

Edited by vandalayceo

I think I mentioned before that we have never done a short cruise so we weren’t sure of what to expect. Well, there really isn’t much different except it’s all just packed into 4 days. Last night was about as active on a Princess ship that I have seen in a while and that can probably be attributed to a younger than usual crowd. I’m guessing that about half the ship is first time cruisers on Princess and so far I’ve noticed more baby strollers than wheelchairs. I’m 50 and I have brought the age curve down a lot on some of our previous cruises, but there are a lot of couples in there 20’s and 30’s on this cruise, at least more so than usual.

There was live music in every venue last night, Colors of the World was shown 3 times in the Theater and the Welcome Aboard Show was actually in Explorers lounge. Today seems to be just as active, the Ultimate Deck Party at the pook tonight and football on MUTS all day at 1, 4 and 8.

I’ll try to answer some of the questions. (sorry if I end up sometimes repeating myself or missing one)

Thermal Spa is $79 per person for the full cruise. They did not quote a “couples” rate like I’ve seen on some cruises. Sanctuary is $10 half day and $20 full day. I did not see the rate for full cruise and will try to find out.

Wine policy did seem to be inforced at the pier. There was a large sign in the security line and table past there with people lined up filling things out. I still wouldn’t be surprised though to see you get through with stuff in your bag because they didn’t seem to be paying real close attention at the security scanners. We however weren’t taking any aboard so I can’t speak to it personally.

There are no formal nights and no Captains Circle Party. We are Platinum and were given vouchers for a free drink up to $7.95 to use when we want.

We are in a Carib deck balcony and still have old balcony furniture. ☺ I’m one of the ones that hates the new stuff.. All mini suites have the new stuff and from what I can tell, Carib balconies that are forward on the ship have the new furniture but we are further aft and for some reason don’t. I’m not complaining!

Scheduled Entertainment

The comedian Sarge

Magician Ben Seidman

Production Shows: Colors of the World and Ballroom Broadway

There will be a 70s night and a Rock and Roll Night in Explorers Lounge

The usual games: Liar’s Club, Majority Rules and Yes/No Game Show

Princess Pop Stars (started on 1st night)

Piazza Entertainment:

Acrobat Cory

Atomic Party Band (really liked them, lots of people dancing)

Tyrone Babb doing Caribbean Favorites and Evening Melodies

The Band “Icon” at the pook and Explorers Lounge

G&V Duo Music and Dancing in Wheelhouse

Craig Andrews in Crooners

Pianist Jan Gulbicki in Adagio and Wheelhouse

Pianist Terry Belanger

MUTS featured movies:

Jobs

Now You See Me

The Way, Way Back

The Wolverine

World War Z

Anyway, it’s a beautiful morning. Seas are calm, clear skies and one of these evenings we should have a full moon. Oh and I just had to laugh, one of the channels on the TV has a crackling fireplace if you want to get that “cozy” Holiday feeling. And if you’re on the next couple of cruises through New Year, the ship is really decked out for the Holidays. Trees and wreaths everywhere and the Piazza is quite stunning with all the lights and garland.

For a lot of us this is a cheap cruise but Princess doesn’t seem to care. In fact I’m wondering if they are doing the opposite. As I mentioned there are a lot of new Princess cruisers on the ship and I’m sure Princess wants them to come back. So far the only bad part of the cruise is that it is only 4 days!

Until later. Dave

As far as passengers and crew, everyone seems to be in a good mood and for the most part I would say it is a “happy” ship. The crew that we have talked to seem to be glad they are back in the Caribbean for some warm weather. As far as passenger mix, I would say it is the most diverse of any Princess cruise I have been on. I don’t know if it’s because of the fire sale rates that were out there, or the fact that it is a 4 day cruise or a combination of everything…. But it is a very pleasant mix of people.

Someone mentioned the Ruby going back to 7 day cruises in 2015. They do, but I believe the Caribbean is going to pick up this 4 and 5 day schedule then when the Emerald moves to Houston…..so it appears these short cruises are at least here a couple of years unless the light bookings continue and they change their mind.

Yes, the Elite Happy Hour is still happening daily. In fact reading the small print of the free drink we got in place of the Captain’s Circle party, you need to get your drink at the Happy Hour.

Some other things I haven’t really mentioned: The fitness center is busy daily with lots to do including Zumba. They also have a full day planned in the fitness center while we are in Cozumel and I suspect they know a lot of folks probably won’t get off the ship. I’ll report back on other activities as soon as I see the Patter tonight. I’m still not sure how crowded the Sanctuary is either. We aren’t getting off tomorrow so we’re planning to check it out then… If it’s really quiet, maybe they will give us a discount ☺

There are a lot of Sports@Sea activities like ping pong, basketball, etc but so far no Scholarship@Sea activities. There are afternoon teas as usual and tonight are informal casual portraits so you can still do family pictures even though there is not a formal night. I suspect they may use some of the Christmas backdrop in the Piazza, which would be nice.

The ship doesn’t feel crowded. You can always get a table in the buffet and we wandered to the pool around 11:00 and found 2 loungers. In any case, it’s been a nice lazy day at sea…..MUCH better than the snow and cold back home. Dave