Diamond Princess and Hand Sanitisers

Aussie Jack

Recent cruise on Diamond Princess - No hand sanitisers entering dining rooms and only ones in sight entering food serving areas in Horizon Court and none entering the Horizon Court restaurant area. It was our 12th cruise and thought this was not good enough for good hygiene. Any comments?

Recent cruise on Diamond Princess - No hand sanitisers entering dining rooms and only ones in sight entering food serving areas in Horizon Court and none entering the Horizon Court restaurant area. It was our 12th cruise and thought this was not good enough for good hygiene. Any comments?
Hand sanitizers are relatively ineffective against Noro, which is a virus. Thorough hand washing is far better, more effective and more hygienic. I do use the hand sanitizers but I think people are substituting that for washing, which is not a good thing.

Although as Pam says washed hands are better I was on Diamond and everywhere there were staff watching the hand dispensers and ensuring they were used and we were not in yellow alert or anything

Perhaps it is down to housekeeping and their use of their staff:confused:

Edited by windsor26

Princess does not put sanitizers out unless there is a need for them.

I personally do not like hand sanitizer. I don't like the way it feels. I'd rather wash my hands and be careful. I actually like what Disney does. As you are entering a food area, they hand you a wipe.

You thought wrong. If the hand sanitizers are prominently displayed, and the crew is aggressively promoting their use, then the ship has had a reportable number of GI illnesses in the last few voyages. If you had actually seen a "good enough" number of sanitizers the ship likely would have been under Code Yellow and on the verge of Code Red had only a couple more cases been reported. So in reality the converse was true for you: the lack of goo squirters means that Diamond had gone several voyages with little or no reports of GI illness beyond the standard mal-de-mer. And has been repeated to death on here, if someone boards who is ill no amount of hand sanitizer will prevent them from infecting others--and soap and water is far, far more effective in keeping yourself out of sick bay than anything else.

If I thought wrong then there were serious problems on all of the previous 11 cruises I have done - given they have all had sanitisers at the appropriate entries and some also in lift lobbies and that includes Seabourn ships!

It is easier to get people to use the goo than getting them to wash hands especially before entering food areas.

If I thought wrong then there were serious problems on all of the previous 11 cruises I have done - given they have all had sanitisers at the appropriate entries and some also in lift lobbies and that includes Seabourn ships!

It is easier to get people to use the goo than getting them to wash hands especially before entering food areas.

I think they're out because they make people feel better but in actuality, have little affect against virus'. In order to be effective, they need to be alcohol-based and people need to use the gel or liquid all over their hands, under their nails, between fingers, etc. I have rarely seen anyone on any line doing that with the dispensers on ships. They are considered a supplement to hand washing, not a replacement.

Yes, you did think wrong, and there may indeed have been serious problems on your 11 previous cruises.

It's absolutely ridiculous that in the 21st century, cruise lines are held responsible to teach supposedly civilized adults how to properly wash their hands after using the toilet.

You are correct. It is far easier to get people to use the "goo" as you call it then it is to convince them to properly clean themselves. Then they think their hands are sanitary and they handle all the food and utensils. But this "goo" does not kill viruses. It just smears them around on your hands, making it easier for you to deposit the viruses on things that other people touch, spreading the contagion.

The US Public Health Service has advised all cruise lines to remove hand sanitizers from public areas when the ship is NOT experiencing GI Outbreaks. Their studies have shown that most of the cruising public uses the sanitizer as a substitute rather than an adjunct to proper handwashing.

Ships that have followed the USPH advice to remove the sanitizer have reported a far lower number of NLV cases.

It's not been issued on our last 2 Diamond cruises at the entrances to the MDR's, but use of the liquid sanitiser is vigilantly supervised at the entrance to the buffet. Your wrapped cutlery (and plate sometimes) is handed to you by staff....accompanied by a cheery welcome and "bon appetite".

Your wrapped cutlery (and plate sometimes) is handed to you by staff....accompanied by a cheery welcome and "bon appetite".

If that is occurring, it is a sign there has been an outbreak at some level.

Under normal conditions, the cutlery will be at the tables and you can pick up the plate yourself.

Yes, you did think wrong, and there may indeed have been serious problems on your 11 previous cruises.

It's absolutely ridiculous that in the 21st century, cruise lines are held responsible to teach supposedly civilized adults how to properly wash their hands after using the toilet.

You are correct. It is far easier to get people to use the "goo" as you call it then it is to convince them to properly clean themselves. Then they think their hands are sanitary and they handle all the food and utensils. But this "goo" does not kill viruses. It just smears them around on your hands, making it easier for you to deposit the viruses on things that other people touch, spreading the contagion.

The US Public Health Service has advised all cruise lines to remove hand sanitizers from public areas when the ship is NOT experiencing GI Outbreaks. Their studies have shown that most of the cruising public uses the sanitizer as a substitute rather than an adjunct to proper handwashing.

Ships that have followed the USPH advice to remove the sanitizer have reported a far lower number of NLV cases.

As we are in cold and flu season we need to do both hand washing and use sanitizers. Hand sanitizers are very effective against the common winter illnesses and it has been shown that people who wash with them do a more effective job than the quick spritz under water. I do wish they would make everyone entering the buffet use them to help prevent the winter crud. As a physician working with very ill patients I use hand sanitizers all the time and our infection control nurses love them! Bring them on and keep them visible. I have one with me to use after going through the buffet and after touching hand rails etc.

.......................................SNIP................

This is something you should have been taught by age 2. I just can't believe it when I see adults leave the bathroom without washing their hands. disgusting.

As we are in cold and flu season we need to do both hand washing and use sanitizers. Hand sanitizers are very effective against the common winter illnesses and it has been shown that people who wash with them do a more effective job than the quick spritz under water.

Very true.

But the problem is that many people assume the hand sanitizers are a substitute for hand washing and thus increase the possibility that virus based disease will be spread.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Food and Drug Administration says there is no evidence that antibacterial chemicals used in liquid soaps and washes help prevent the spread of germs, and there is some evidence they may pose health risks.

The federal ruling on triclosan and other antibacterial ingredients lends new support to longstanding warnings from scientists who say the chemicals can interfere with hormone levels.

Under a proposed rule, the agency will require manufacturers to prove that their antibacterial cleaners are safe and more effective than plain soap and water.

The agency's proposal comes more than 40 years after the agency was first tasked with evaluating triclosan and similar ingredients. Ultimately, the government agreed to publish its findings only after a legal battle with an environmental group, which accused the FDA of delaying action

Nice to get some medical advice on the subject. My doctor's surgery have them at the desk and in the individual surgeries as well and patients are encouraged to use them. I use both soap and water and the sanitizers (American spelling substituted!) and carry a sanitizer in my pocket on board ships. Most illnesses I have seen on ships involves coughing which (I understand) would be of the winter variety and not viruses so sanitizers would probably help.

Let's agree to differ - I myself and my wife will continue to use the sanitizers and as usual wash hands thoroughly and often.

Most illnesses I have seen on ships involves coughing which (I understand) would be of the winter variety and not viruses so sanitizers would probably help.

Let's agree to differ - I myself and my wife will continue to use the sanitizers and as usual wash hands thoroughly and often.

Most illnesses onboard cruises are the common cold, which is viral, and includes coughing along with other symptoms.

Washing your hands thoroughly is always a good idea. The Royal Princess has hand washing stations on both sides and ends at the entrances to the buffet.

ImageUploadedByForums1387235456.586418.jpg.9985c3eb1b56f80df397aec0a491c629.jpg

Not sure who you are differing with.

What you are doing is what everybody should be doing (except for those with an adverse reaction to the hand sanitizer).

Edited by caribill

I thought it was obvious - the anti hand sanitizer brigade! Looks like I will have both on our next cruise though, the Royal Princess in May 2014.

That's it for me - Thanks for the information and comments. I can see why my last cruise lacked hand sanitizers but still wonder about why my previous 11 cruises had them and that included 5 Princess cruises?