Unauthorized credit card charge, Visa, Jewel of the Seas

Checked my credit card account on line this morning and see a pending $12. charge from Jewel of the Seas. Sailing was in March. I called Royal Caribbean and was told they have no record of any charges, that I should call my bank. Called Visa and was told that I was the 3rd. person, this representative had calls from with this $12.00 pending. He said there was nothing that could be done until the charge actually posted as paid. He said the others had dropped off after 2 or 3 days. He suggested that I keep checking and he believes it will drop off, if not and it is posted as "paid", then I can dispute. Sorry, if this has already been discussed, I'm just too busy this morning to search through all the threads. A few weeks ago, I seem to remember some discussion about upgrades to the Royal Caribbean computer system, causing some aggravation, so I suppose this may be part of it. I'll try to be patient, but I also know this is the time of the year when thieves are very busy and may be watching to see if a little charge can slip through without being noticed, then they can hit with bigger charges. Merry Christmas to all of you and for the lucky ones going on a holiday cruise, I hope you have a wonderful trip. ;)

Accounting will "ping" your credit card with a minor charge to make sure it is an active card. They will not be charged and usually disappear in a few days, I'm surprised yours is still there, sounds like someone forgot to release the hold.($12 sounds like one days gratuities)

Interesting, I've had bank credit cards for around 40 years and never had a company to "ping" my card to see if it's still active. My son, on the other hand, had his debit account cleaned out; starting with a small charge (maybe a ping) and then very quickly emptied (in Europe) before he caught it. The second time it happened to him, on a holiday weekend, when his paycheck & bonus was deposited early, his card was declined. He started checking to find out what was going on. His card was used in a Walmart in Texas; must have been the same time he was trying to buy gas in North Carolina and maybe the computer system realized something might not be right with card being used at same time/different states. Anyway, gift card was bought in a Walmart in Texas. My son talked with Walmart store manager and they had enough information that they person had tried another card and it was declined, then my son's went through. After a lot of phone calls, receiving automated messages, because of holiday weekend he couldn't reach anyone, but was finally able to get through the automated system to report his card was stolen, he was able to stop any further use.

After that March cruise I did have some unusual "pending" charges, but they did drop off after a few days and I do expect that to happen this time, but I will be watching my account more often than normal now.

"Ping", my foot, there is no reason any company should be checking my credit card to see if it is still active, unless I've bought something from them!

I can tell you that someone in RCI's computer department sent the wrong (old) file of pre-auths. RCI does not send a card check transaction, they send pre-auths to your card every night while you are on your cruise. We see this error at my bank 2-3 times a year. Normally a computer room screw-up at the merchant that will DOUBLE charge a transaction.

Card check transactions (someone called them a ping) happen a lot more than you think. It's normally for $1, and only happens after you have given a merchant your credit card number. Visa frowns on the practice, but it does cost the merchant a processing fee, so it isn't free.

Chances are you are only seeing these because of the availability of Internet access to your account. I can guarantee that sometime in the last 40 years you have gotten a card check or double charge, you just haven't seen it because the bank covered up the merchant's error before you got your statement.

I wouldn't be concerned, even if you do get charged due to RCI's error, your bank will credit your account almost immediately.

Enjoy your future cruises.

Nice to get some insight from someone in banking. It did cause me a bit of concern since my last cruise was in March and I don't have anything booked, so there is no reason for any sort of charges. I do feel comfortable that the pending charge will drop off, but I'll be watching. I think my billing cycle ends tomorrow, so it will be interesting to see what happens. Wouldn't it be a nice if RCCL Visa would give me double points for their computer glitch causing me a bit of anxiety today and then not take them away when it is corrected. :)

SpaGirl, This sounds more like what many of us have experienced on RC -- a late charge for a mini-bar item that you did not consume. But, usually, RC can identify those, when you call them about the charge. Just curious, did you get a final invoice on your door, on the last morning? I know that, on X, we've had to go to the GR desk on departure day, to pick them up ourselves -- but, we've always received them on RC. If the mystery continues, I would call RC back and ask them to e-mail (or fax) you a copy of your final account on that ship -- that mystery charge may turn up there. Nothing like a few days of aggravation over something like this to undo all the relaxation of your cruise :( -- Good luck!

actually, this was the first cruise we (3 cabins) did not get the itemized bill. We asked our cabin attendant and he said he didn't get one for any of our cabins. I called RCCL customer service after I got back home and it was emailed to me and everything checked out fine. I'm a bit of a collector, so I have all my paper work, tickets, pictures, etc. from this cruise - just in case I ever do a scrapbook. I've never used anything out of the mini bar, just didn't want any of it, but then read some where on Cruise Critic to be sure to check the expiration date because sometimes that stuff if way out of date. It will all work out, I expect it's just a blooper with their computer system. According to the date, it did post as pending on my account a couple days ago, so I'm surprised that it hasn't dropped.

I can tell you that someone in RCI's computer department sent the wrong (old) file of pre-auths. RCI does not send a card check transaction, they send pre-auths to your card every night while you are on your cruise. We see this error at my bank 2-3 times a year. Normally a computer room screw-up at the merchant that will DOUBLE charge a transaction.

Card check transactions (someone called them a ping) happen a lot more than you think. It's normally for $1, and only happens after you have given a merchant your credit card number. Visa frowns on the practice, but it does cost the merchant a processing fee, so it isn't free.

Chances are you are only seeing these because of the availability of Internet access to your account. I can guarantee that sometime in the last 40 years you have gotten a card check or double charge, you just haven't seen it because the bank covered up the merchant's error before you got your statement.

I wouldn't be concerned, even if you do get charged due to RCI's error, your bank will credit your account almost immediately.

Enjoy your future cruises.

Does any of that make sense when the cruise was in March and it's now December?

OP, small charges like that are very often signs of fraudulent activity. The card is used for small things first and if they go through then they do the big ones. As you well know. I, personally, would not be comfortable continuing to have that particular card number, and would talk to the CC people about assigning you a new card.

I highly doubt that a $12 charge is a criminal act. Wait and see if the charge gets posted, then deal with it. Good luck.

You can doubt it all you want but I worked credit card fraud for many years & that's exactly the kind of transaction that signals trouble.........

I highly doubt that a $12 charge is a criminal act. Wait and see if the charge gets posted, then deal with it. Good luck.

I had fraud on my card a few weeks ago (not Royal Caribbean). The fraud department at my bank said that almost always someone that has stolen your numbers will hit your card with a small charge to make sure it is still an active card and then when that one works, they rack up the big charges a few days later.

Does any of that make sense when the cruise was in March and it's now December?

OP, small charges like that are very often signs of fraudulent activity. The card is used for small things first and if they go through then they do the big ones. As you well know. I, personally, would not be comfortable continuing to have that particular card number, and would talk to the CC people about assigning you a new card.

If you had actually read my post, it's a error someone made by RCI when they downloaded their nightly pre-auth file. She called, and was told others had received the same charge. If the bank had ANY hint this was a bad guy testing the card they would have re-issued immediately. After all, it's the bank that would lose a large amount of money not the customer.

For those that think is is a fraudulent charge, it's not likely. First of all it would have to be an amazing coincidence that the merchant would be spoofing Jewel of the Seas when she had been on that same ship. Second it would not come in as a pre-auth, it would have been a PURCHASE. Lastly I've been in this business for 20 years, the bad guys do not wait a couple of days. Once they find out the card is good, it's always used within 2-3 hours for other fraudulent purchases.

The pre-auth (pending transaction) has not dropped off because the corresponding purchase has not been sent to the bank. Bad guys do not wait.

As a bank employee I think it's great that you are all concerned about fraud, because it costs the banks' millions of dollars. You should be diligent about checking your account!

The fraud at Target 3 weeks ago. All those card numbers used have already been sent to the banks. If you haven't got it already, a new card will be in the mail.

I had fraud on my card a few weeks ago (not Royal Caribbean). The fraud department at my bank said that almost always someone that has stolen your numbers will hit your card with a small charge to make sure it is still an active card and then when that one works, they rack up the big charges a few days later.

In these days of Internet access to your credit card activity, why would the bad guys wait a few days and allow the customer to call the bank and suspend the card? I have no idea why they would say that. Our fraud people are trained to re-issue a new card if the transaction smells in any way.

The "pending" charge is still sitting on my account. I've already received request to complete "customer service satisfaction surveys" from both Royal Caribbean and Bank of America for my phone calls. Sure, everyone was sweet, professional and appeared to research.....but problem still not resolved until charge drops off.

Glad I don't have a Target close by to shop, and don't have a debit card that I use. Just my B of A Visa that I use for just about everything and only that because of the cruise points and no annual charge. And, thanks to B of A, I have an insane credit limit, so I would be in a major world of financial hurt if my account got hacked.

The Pending charge will "stay around" for a period of time (usually 5 or so days) until the timeout period expires.

What happened is that RCCL got an authorization to charge $12.00 on your card, but never completed the transaction. This happens for example if you use your Credit Card at a gas station pump. When you slide the card in, it does an authorization for a fixed amount ($75 or more or less) on the card. Then when you finish the pumping of the gas, the charge is finalized using that authorization ID with the specific amount. That closes the transaction, and drops the pending authorization.

I have had pending charges for $1 at times when I knew that someone was going to bill my credit card in the next few days.

This is why I NEVER use a debit card anywhere. For example when you fill up with gas using a debit card, the authorization will deduct from your available balance sometimes up to 2-3 days before you can access those funds again.

Also as was pointed out, if your debit card is stolen and charged, you are out the money while they attempt to find it. OTOH with a credit card, you dispute the charges and do not have to pay them. No money is lost by you.

...snip...And, thanks to B of A, I have an insane credit limit, so I would be in a major world of financial hurt if my account got hacked.

You would be fine, since all the charges that are not yours would not have to be paid by you at all. That is the best thing about credit cards, if they are stolen, you report the charges, and they are removed from your bill. I have had a couple of my credit cards numbers stolen over the years (probably from online sites that do not have adequate security in their back end), and a simple call to the credit card company has resulted in a new credit card number, and all the errant charges removed from my account immediately.

I have never understood people who are extremely worried about their credit card number being stolen. It is a simple process to take care of. OTOH A debit card being stolen is not as easy since you do not have the money available while the investigation takes place.

I have had the $1.00 pending several times when I've got gas, but the paper receipt from the pump showed the correct amount. I thought it was odd the first time it happened, but the correct charge appeared pretty quickly, so I'm not surprised anymore.

I still feel like it's a computer error, but if this does end up being criminal mischief, it will be from a Royal Caribbean employee, but I still don't see anyway they could benefit from it, since it looks like it would be paid to RCCl.

Update, the billing cycle closed out last night and the $12.00 charge seems to have dropped off. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to all of the wonderful Cruise Critic friends. I wish you sunshine & smooth seas on your next cruise. :)

Thanks for the update, and glad it worked out. Still curious as to what caused the pending charge in the first place.:confused:

Oh, NO, the $12. pending charge is back. Been out and about all day and just had a chance to check my CC account on line, after seeing more information on the news about the Target mess. I guess I'll be calling Royal Caribbean again tomorrow. I know $12. is a small amount, but this is just making me uncomfortable. Sure hate to have to ask to speak with a supervisor, but I believe it's coming to that. The pending charge was originally posted on December 16. :(