Which ship for first time seniors?

puppymama1

Buy your own airline tickets, but because of logistics from Whittier to Anchorage or reverse if you are doing southbound, would recommend "transfers" from the line you choose. fly in at least a day before. It takes most of the day to get from Whittier to Anchorage so make the flight home for the day after you dock in Whittier. Have a great cruise -- as others have said if you don't want to dress up, other restaurants don't have the dress code.

You must not have been there, and you are giving inaccurate advice. It is 1 1/4 hour drive (plus tunnel time) Hardly "most of the day".

There are several excellent transfers to consider besides the cruiseline transfer. Independent buses, doing a Prince William Sound boat tour, then taking Alaska RR, or max out your day touring with a one way car rental.

If you want a class act with great food, very few if any children with,exception of several mid-summer cruises, almost NO smoking and great fellow passengers try Oceania.

If ask them they will tell you which summer cruises are " child friendly" and you can avoid those dates. Normally they have no facilities or programs for children.

Edited by orchestrapal

. It takes most of the day to get from Whittier to Anchorage so make the flight home for the day after you dock in Whittier.

This is from the Alaska Railroad site -

"Departure Information:

9:45 AM depart Anchorage Depot, arrive Whittier 12:05 PM"

and

"Distance from:

Anchorage: 62 miles, 2 hours by train,"

Hardly "most of the day"

DON

Edited by donaldsc

You must not have been there, and you are giving inaccurate advice. It is 1 1/4 hour drive (plus tunnel time) Hardly "most of the day".

There are several excellent transfers to consider besides the cruiseline transfer. Independent buses, doing a Prince William Sound boat tour, then taking Alaska RR, or max out your day touring with a one way car rental.

thanks for correcting me. Guess I need a better research site.

Hi

Holland American has a deack where you can walk around. Yiu will see a lot of wild life. plus its nice just to walk around. Other ships do not have this. Food is great as is the service. plus ports are great. I love Alaska. I am 67 no loud parties, no drunks in halways very quite

I would suggest (like others) doing your own research and find your best trip through online sites. Then shop through travel agents to get the best deal.

I saved a good amount of money on my recent trip buying through an agent compared to the cruise line site. Shop around before you buy.

Edited by hairpin

We have cruised both Holland and Princess to Alaska. Either is a great choice. Holland definitely has a more "mature " crowd and is very laid back. We went Sep both times and there were very few children onboard either line. We were on the Golden this past Sep and thought she was a beautiful ship. I would suggest that you read reviews if specific ships as well as cruiselines. Enjoy!!!!

We have cruised both Holland and Princess to Alaska. Either is a great choice. Holland definitely has a more "mature " crowd and is very laid back. We went Sep both times and there were very few children onboard either line. We were on the Golden this past Sep and thought she was a beautiful ship. I would suggest that you read reviews if specific ships as well as cruiselines. Enjoy!!!!

We are looking at early September on the Golden. How was your weather and what wildlife did you see? :)

Edited by janetz

We are looking at early September on the Golden. How was your weather and what wildlife did you see? :)

Sept has a wide range of weather, with the first week, being very different from the third. Reason, I recommend the first week as a preferred choice. Mid Sept has the disadvantage of being dark by 7pm which cuts into my priority scenic sailing. :)

Sept has the worse potential for foul weather of the entire Alaska cruise season. Being well prepared in your plans and attire are necessary.

We went the week if Sep 11th in 2010 and then the week if Sep 8th, 2013. We were prepared for cool rainy weather, but lucked out both times!

We had gorgeous weather low 70's on on our first trip and around 60 on the last - but NO RAIN on either. : ) I know it is unpredictable, but be prepared & plan to have a great time regardless. We saw whales several times, sea lions, eagles, mountain goats and a bear. We did Glacier bay one trip & Tracy Arm on the other - both beautiful!

We went the week if Sep 11th in 2010 and then the week if Sep 8th, 2013. We were prepared for cool rainy weather, but lucked out both times!

We had gorgeous weather low 70's on on our first trip and around 60 on the last - but NO RAIN on either. : ) I know it is unpredictable, but be prepared & plan to have a great time regardless. We saw whales several times, sea lions, eagles, mountain goats and a bear. We did Glacier bay one trip & Tracy Arm on the other - both beautiful!

Thanks so much! Looking at the Sept 6th sailing. Just waiting on SW air pricing for Sept. to open. :)

[quote name='puppymama1']

First question is what cruise line and which ship? We are a group of 2 couples in our 60s.. fairly active, would prefer a more "mature" crowd (translation - less children if possible). Looking for a 7 day cruise - not sure whether to do roundtrip or one way.. Prefer one that is more relaxed and less formal - no dressing up for dinner.. I was thinking of Princess, but not sure which ship -- whether to go with the smaller, older Golden Princess, or one of the newer, larger ships... Would like to do a bear viewing trip for sure, and could use recommendations on who to use for that, as well as other excursion recommendations.. This is the first cruise and first time to Alaska for all of us.. Could also use recommendations for where on the ship to get the rooms.. I am very prone to motion sickness, so would prefer a calmer location on the ship.. Thanks for any help you can give me![/quote]

Puppymama1.
Where do you live? That might be a deciding point as to which departure port might be more convenient for you.

Princess has 3 ports -- San Francisco, Seattle, and Vancouver. The SF cruise is 10/11 days, Seattle cruise is 7 days, and the Vancouver which is not roundtrip has 7 days to Whitacker or Anchorage.

We take SF because we drive and park the car in SF for the 10/11 days. It is convenient because we often like to expand our trip to other locations before and after the Cruise. We also like sailing out under the Golden Gate bridge.

Princess hands out a memo to all passengers. Amongst the statements therein is one about Parents controlling their children while on board. We have sailed with Princess 6 times, and we have never experienced any noisy or obnoxious children.

Dress up nights on Princess in the Main Dining Room are not all that rigid. My dresses are light weight and are easily rolled up in the suit case. My husband takes a Sport Jacket, dress slacks and two ties. As others have said it is not necessary to do the formal night in the MDR. Believe me, there are a lot of other places to eat on the ship for dinner besides the MDR.

As far as excursions, take a look at Trip Advisor for excursions in the three Alaska ports. You get a lot of feedback from people who have taken them. I could name a few but since you have preferences, it would be best for you to look through Trip Advisor and make your own decisions based on your preferences.:)