Looking to try possibly try Princess for the first time. Comedy Club?

xplnusa

My only cruises have been on Carnival. I've been completely happy with the product they've delivered for the price I've been paying, no complaints there.

I've read a couple of reviews over on the Carnival forum from people that have typically loved Carnival but tried Princess. Seems they like the food a little better (we're foodies so thats important to us), less roaming waiters (I'm good with that). I wasn't thrilled with the Queen bed instead of the King but we can make it work. I'm really scared of the itty bitty bathroom I keep reading about.

Does Princess have a comedy club most nights? That is one of my favorite parts of a Carnival cruise. Love comedy clubs.

I'm looking at Mexican Rivera cruises. 7-10 day. Looks like the prices are pretty good and I would like to try some new ports as well.

Any other advice or words of wisdom?

There is no Comedy Club on Princess ships. Often the entertainment for the evening does include a comedian of some sort.

As far as queen beds go, I've often thought the queens on the ship are larger than our queen at home. That's subjective though as I haven't measured. It may be that since they put two singles together to make the queen it is bigger. Don't worry, the gap between the two singles is filled, you won't fall through!

Give it a try, it won't be "bad" and it's worth it at least so you'll know.

No comedy club, no dancing waiters and no towel animals... There are comedians onboard... Princess is much more sedate than Carnival... Which suits me just fine. No hairy chest contests either... I love the Mexico cruises, with Princess, however. After my last Carnival cruise, my husband and I will never cruise Carnival again...

While Princess doesn't have a dedicated venue for comedians, such as The Comedy Club on Carnival and Second City on NCL, every Princess cruise I've been on has at least one, and usually two comedians onboard. Many times one will be on for the first half of the cruise, and a different one will be there for the second half. And most of the time, each comedian will perform two entirely different shows. One in the main theater that's family oriented, and another in a smaller venue that's more adult. So, typically on a 7 day cruise you'll have around 4 different comedy shows. But it's not set in stone that this will happen. Entertainers vary from ship to ship, and from cruise to cruise.

And to be fair, there are a few comedians still out there on Princess who should have retired several ship designs ago.

I wouldn't call entertainment a strong point on Princess, but they have had decent comedians and I think the improved food (subjective) and service more than makes up for it.

And to be fair, there are a few comedians still out there on Princess who should have retired several ship designs ago.

I wouldn't call entertainment a strong point on Princess, but they have had decent comedians.

As one Princess comedian said "I am the best comedian in my price range."

My Wife and I are both 36 from Australia. We have a 14 y/0 son. Just finished a 8 night cruise on the Diamond Princess. Yes, they had 2 Comedians. The first was very funny and I think was American. Big overweight guy(but used this to his advantage). The 2nd was an Australian (steve) who done a comedy/magic show. BLOODY TERRIBLE. Mind you, some passengers who were not Australian, loved it. To me , it was school kid magic without much humour. The Comedian Danny Bhoy from Scotland has been our favourite for a long time.

The food in the Buffet was fantastic. Looked great, smelled great, tasted great. It was also nice to see the kitchen where they make all this food was absolutely crystal clean stainless steel. We had done the Ultimate Ship Tour , so we got to see it. It was good eating all this lovely food knowing it was prepared in such a clean environment. Only thing was, in the buffet, the food was much the same. BUT, it didn't matter as they had on most days, "special meals" , such as Mexican Day ect , in a different part of the ship. I did hear a few compliments saying how nice the food was in Sabatini's( extra charge) though, but we didn't go their. Overall we had a great time. Already booking next cruise, Singapore to Sydney 2015. :) hope this helps.

The best place for comedy of any ship is by one of the main pools. Best place to get a laugh on the entire ship. Yes the showers are small but functional for most people. The larger a person is the tighter it will be but they serve the purpose.

Depends on the cabin.

As noted, the mini-suites are much larger, and its important to note they are not actually suites, think of them more as deluxe balcony cabins.

Thanks for all of the comments. Can anyone confirm is the shower really that much smaller than the ones on Carnival?

I was just on the Diamond Princess interior cabin. Shower IS SMALL. Being a Carpenter and Joiner, wanted to pull the tape measure out as I was very surprised. I would estimate it would be 700mm x 700mm and a height of 2200mm. Anyone who is a bigger person will have trouble. It didn't bother us as, id done my home work before I went on the trip. Generally, if I get the "Heads up" on things, they don't bother me. Its when I get a shock not knowing is when I get real ****ty....

Thanks for all of the comments. Can anyone confirm is the shower really that much smaller than the ones on Carnival?

Yes, the showers for interior and oceanview cabins are much smaller than on Carnival. Also, the shower head is on the wall and can't be handheld like on Carnival.

Hi, sounds like my husband and I have similar likes/dislikes! We've done both Carnival and Princess, and we're going back to Carnival and SOOOOO looking forward to it! Princess had fresher food, but that's as far as I would go with food quality. I thought Carnival has some great choices! Princess' comedy show was far inferior to Carnival's, in our opinion. We only went to one show...laughed a little, but didn't enjoy ourselves half as much as we did on Carnival. The queen bed was a little "cozy" as we're used to our king bed at home, but that was definitely manageable. The bathroom was definitely cramped , especially when we were both trying to brush our teeth/wash faces etc...before bed. I'm so excited to go back to Carnival in January!

Hi, sounds like my husband and I have similar likes/dislikes! We've done both Carnival and Princess, and we're going back to Carnival and SOOOOO looking forward to it! Princess had fresher food, but that's as far as I would go with food quality. I thought Carnival has some great choices! Princess' comedy show was far inferior to Carnival's, in our opinion. We only went to one show...laughed a little, but didn't enjoy ourselves half as much as we did on Carnival. The queen bed was a little "cozy" as we're used to our king bed at home, but that was definitely manageable. The bathroom was definitely cramped , especially when we were both trying to brush our teeth/wash faces etc...before bed. I'm so excited to go back to Carnival in January!

Very good comparison for me... Thanks so much... The one thing that really is still drawing me to Princess right now is they hit ports in Mexico that Carnival doesn't...

Well that and if I'm lucky I'll find Isaac Washington at one of the bars right... :D

Edited by xplnusa