Carnival cancels Splendor out of NY

spaden

I am also thinking of doing the 5 night Bermuda trip on RCI at the end of October, anyone been on that....really don't want to go to NJ but I will suck it up.

It's actually doesn't take that long to get to Bayonne. It would probably be better for you to use a car service instead of a cab, but it's really not that far away. Currently the facilities are the worst of the 3 NY area ones -- you have to take a bus from the terminal to the ship -- but they are currently building a "real" terminal to be ready for the Quantum of the Seas.

Does anyone know when the piers in Brooklyn are going to be opening up permanently?

I don't think the Brooklyn Pier is going to be used any more often then it currently is. Cunard's QM2 docks there regularly, and Princess also uses it for their fall cruises. Most of the other cruise lines prefer to dock in Manhattan.

It's actually doesn't take that long to get to Bayonne. It would probably be better for you to use a car service instead of a cab, but it's really not that far away. Currently the facilities are the worst of the 3 NY area ones -- you have to take a bus from the terminal to the ship -- but they are currently building a "real" terminal to be ready for the Quantum of the Seas.

I don't think the Brooklyn Pier is going to be used any more often then it currently is. Cunard's QM2 docks there regularly, and Princess also uses it for their fall cruises. Most of the other cruise lines prefer to dock in Manhattan.

While the facilities themselves were fine, the area is .... ummm shall we say a discussion topic.

Thanks for the info. Maybe it was a port of call I saw. The stairwell thing is just kind of weird, the other thing was the hallways seemed a little narrow. Loved the haven.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

Have heard the new Royal princess also has just two stairwells so looks like this is very common on new builds.

I don't quite understand why Red Hook isn't a wanted pier. it's new. modern, huge, easy to get to, a little less congested. What's the problem?

I don't quite understand why Red Hook isn't a wanted pier. it's new. modern, huge, easy to get to, a little less congested. What's the problem?

i guess it is a transportation issue, it is not near any buses/subway/train/etc

Good a guess as any. Will be going on her in April and looks like a very well laid out ship.

The pictures are great that I have seen. Make sure you tell us all about it when you return.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

We were on the Nov.1st sailing and got the letter and cancellation notice on Thurs. Called our PVP who didn't know about it. She still quickly checked our options and sent me a list of sailing for that week and the next. We are now booked (3 cabins) on the Breeze leaving Miami Nov. 8 for an 8 day. We got similar balcony cabins for the same price even though the Breeze was showing $200 higher. We kept our early saver even though that wasn't available Friday morning. We each got a $50 obc and hubby and I also had an obc for a prior military rate. All in all we are quite please with what we did. So we will fly into and out of Miami. Even found a hotel with a cruise package including round trip trans to and from the airport, shuttle to the Port and a local shuttle. Also an evening reception and cooked to order breakfast. We are 6 happy campers!!

Wow, didn't know this; good thing I come to this board occasionally!

RE: the 2 elevator banks on Breakaway (fabulous ship by the way), note that the newer Celebrity ships are the same way. Seems the new builds for most cruise lines just have 2, which I'm sure saves and earns them more $.

Edited by mizlorinj

It's confusing to get to, at least compared to the Manhattan and Bayonne terminals. You drive parallel to a highway that will send you back down the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel, which freaks people out because it looks like you are going to end up in Manhattan, and then you drive down a bunch of local streets.

The parking lot is also apt to flood. Sandy wasn't the first time it flooded and ruined peoples cars.

But you are right -- it is a nice terminal. I've sailed out of there 3 times, and I do prefer it to Bayonne. Mostly because I hate the bus you have to get on in Bayonne.

It's confusing to get to, at least compared to the Manhattan and Bayonne terminals. You drive parallel to a highway that will send you back down the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel, which freaks people out because it looks like you are going to end up in Manhattan, and then you drive down a bunch of local streets.

The parking lot is also apt to flood. Sandy wasn't the first time it flooded and ruined peoples cars.

But you are right -- it is a nice terminal. I've sailed out of there 3 times, and I do prefer it to Bayonne. Mostly because I hate the bus you have to get on in Bayonne.

It is a confusing area. I live about 5 minutes from the pier and I occasionally get lost driving into Red Hook. Also, nearby hotel facilities are not great, but I guess that's somewhat of an issue with Bayonne too (which I otherwise love).

We were on the Nov.1st sailing and got the letter and cancellation notice on Thurs. Called our PVP who didn't know about it. She still quickly checked our options and sent me a list of sailing for that week and the next. We are now booked (3 cabins) on the Breeze leaving Miami Nov. 8 for an 8 day. We got similar balcony cabins for the same price even though the Breeze was showing $200 higher. We kept our early saver even though that wasn't available Friday morning. We each got a $50 obc and hubby and I also had an obc for a prior military rate. All in all we are quite please with what we did. So we will fly into and out of Miami. Even found a hotel with a cruise package including round trip trans to and from the airport, shuttle to the Port and a local shuttle. Also an evening reception and cooked to order breakfast. We are 6 happy campers!!

Would love to know that hotel's name . . . planning stages of a flight to Miami from LAX for a cruise. :D

Gary:

I think I know that answer, but (of course) might have to go through CC spanking machine for mentioning that here, so . . .

I use a really great site for hotel/cruise parking details at a wide variety of location.

Use the word Hotel followed by the letter N followed by the word Parking, all mooshed together. I've had great success with research using it.

Bayone is getting a brand new terminal just in time for the arrival of Quantum of the Seas. This terminal you will no longer need to use buses to get to the boat. They will be using normal gangways as you see in other ports. This terminal is going to be modeled after the one that RCI created for Oasis in Fort Lauderdale.

Leaving on the Splendor on 27th, we take the Metro North Train out of New Haven, CT in the morning. We are there in no time. Get a cab right to the pier. While some are saying good bye to Carnival, you cannot match the price. I will just have to hope that in time Carnival will bring me a new ship out of NYC and I will be patient.

Merrry Christmas

Dorene

Has anyone else NOT received the notice about Splendor cruises being cancelled ? There are six of us ( three couples ) booked on the November 9, 2014 cruise. As of today, only one of us has been sent the letter that ouir cruise is cancelled. Span folders have been checked and nothing there. One of us did get a letter saying that a shore excursion

( FTTF ) was cancelled but that's all.

Once I saw it here on CC I tried calling Carnival's Guest Services which turned out to be a joke. The young lady I talked to confirmed the cruise was gone but when she called up my booking it was gone as well. When I asked about the money I had on deposit she didn't know anything and suggested I call Accounting after the holidays.

Due to a less then brilliant cruise on the Breeze in September the six of us have decieded we are done with Carnival at least until they get their act together and quite possibly forever.

Inspector Gadget

Has anyone else NOT received the notice about Splendor cruises being cancelled ? There are six of us ( three couples ) booked on the November 9, 2014 cruise. As of today, only one of us has been sent the letter that ouir cruise is cancelled. Span folders have been checked and nothing there. One of us did get a letter saying that a shore excursion

Once I saw it here on CC I tried calling Carnival's Guest Services which turned out to be a joke. The young lady I talked to confirmed the cruise was gone but when she called up my booking it was gone as well. When I asked about the money I had on deposit she didn't know anything and suggested I call Accounting after the holidays.

Due to a less then brilliant cruise on the Breeze in September the six of us have decieded we are done with Carnival at least until they get their act together and quite possibly forever.

Inspector Gadget

Very strange that you were ignored like that. We find Carnival customer service much better than that.

Inspector Gadget

I have also not received the e-mail notice from Carnival. I found out about the canceled cruise while on Carnival's website checking on another booking I had made. I immediately called Carnival and was told the e-mails were being sent out in groups of XX amounts, and not to be concerned. That was Thursday the 19th. I still have received nothing from Carnival. Guess I will call them again today to see what's up. As we were booked on the Nov. 1st 2015 sailing (the 1st one to be canceled I believe)I would have thought we would have received the e-mail 1st. Not happy as we are sailing with another couple and had picked out specific cabins.

Hi

With the cancellation of my cruise, my Travel Agent contacted me by phone and forwarded the email to me, we discussed if I wanted to rebook and when. We re-booked, received the same price, she did everything. While so many people always ask why people use one. This is one of the reasons.

I pay the same price and get contacted sometimes for upsales that I use.

Dorene

Hi

With the cancellation of my cruise, my Travel Agent contacted me by phone and forwarded the email to me, we discussed if I wanted to rebook and when. We re-booked, received the same price, she did everything. While so many people always ask why people use one. This is one of the reasons.

I pay the same price and get contacted sometimes for upsales that I use.

Dorene

There are some good ones out there.