Potty Training for Cruise

AmandaEnzo

My daughter just turned two in September. I'm hoping to have her fully potty trained in time for our cruise on January 28th. I'd love for her to be able to go in the pool or the splash park.

Anyone doing the same? Any tips that have helped you? I have a four year old but just waited until she decided to do it on her own.

I've heard of other non-potty trained kids going in the pool. I must say, I'd be upset if I couldn't bring her in the pool because she wasn't potty trained and then see other kids in there with a swim diaper. :mad:

I'm sorry, I must have mistyped what I meant. I wouldn't put her in the water if she wasn't fully potty trained, even if others were doing it.

It would just be upsetting to watch babies or toddlers in there with swim diapers on and not being able to take my daughter in.

The Disney pools are filtered so toddlers in swim diapers are allowed.

On the Coral Princess, there was a tiny baby wading pool behind the kids club, and one of the adult pools had a long section where you only got your feet wet under MUTS (their big movie screen). My son was able to put his just his feet in the water (he was fully clothed, so Princess staff would know I had no intention of letting him swim in the pool in a diaper).

Definitely try to use the cruise as an incentive--especially if she likes swimming, but don't focus too much on it being for the cruise. We got DD potty trained for our Allure cruise last May--kept telling her how she couldn't swim unless she used the potty, etc. She did great & great throughout the cruise, but when we got home she wanted no part of it anymore since the cruise incentive was over.

Good luck!

On the Coral Princess, there was a tiny baby wading pool behind the kids club, and one of the adult pools had a long section where you only got your feet wet under MUTS (their big movie screen). My son was able to put his just his feet in the water (he was fully clothed, so Princess staff would know I had no intention of letting him swim in the pool in a diaper).

I was just on the Wonder. All Disney has is a splash area. The Mickey pool was closed one sea day afternoon for what was determined to be a "bio-accident".

Definitely try to use the cruise as an incentive--especially if she likes swimming, but don't focus too much on it being for the cruise. We got DD potty trained for our Allure cruise last May--kept telling her how she couldn't swim unless she used the potty, etc. She did great & great throughout the cruise, but when we got home she wanted no part of it anymore since the cruise incentive was over.

Oh, no! Thanks for the warning! I was going to do that but now I won't!

I wouldn't put my child in a pool ESPECIALLY if there were diapered kids in there! Icky!

If she doesn't do the potty training on her own, bring the blow-up duck tub....that way, you can add a bucket or two of water for her to splash in while you are at the pool. It won't be "swimming", but it will keep her cool!

If she doesn't do the potty training on her own, bring the blow-up duck tub....that way, you can add a bucket or two of water for her to splash in while you are at the pool. It won't be "swimming", but it will keep her cool!

Thanks for the idea!

We are also potty training right now and have a cruise in January. We are going cold turkey for our stubborn 3-yr old son. Even though we have three weeks, I am doubtful we will be trained enough to use the pool. We have a beach day planned, instead.

Good luck!

We did the naked butt/three day too, beginning just before dd turned two. It didn't work in three days, but it was our "no turning back" point. My suggestion is undies all the way. Don't do diapers (except nap and/or night) and no pull ups (too much like diapers). You'll do a lot of mopping up and laundry, but it's worth it.

That said, you will see diapered kids in the kid pools, even on ships without diaper splash zones. You don't have to be one of those and frankly, you wouldn't want your kid in that toilet water. Yuck! If you can make it to no diapers before the cruise - much better!

Ummm No, they aren't, at least not last year on the Magic and last week on the Wonder. Diapers are allowed in the splash pad (Wonder, Nemo Reef on other ship?) But only potty trained in mickey's pool. They DO ask! We were asked each time we took dd (2 in oct, fully trained for over 6 months). The pool will, without a doubt, get closed and drained on the last day.

We did 3 day bare butt at 18 months or so. They won't be accident free after 3 days, but it should click. After two, I'd nap train as well, diaper (NO PULIL UP) for bedtime for a few months is ok.

Give her control of everything, expect where to potty. Only babies wear diapers, anyway. Let her pick out her panties, give her a choice each morning which pair to wear, what clothes to wear, which potty to use, mommy seat or baby seat, mommy take or daddy take. Water in cup or sippy, walk or run. When she has an accident, she helps clean up, she rinses wet clothes and puts them in the basket, she doesn't get a choice of panties/clothes.

Dd was trained easy. We did away with diapers for nap during training and at night before 2. Never used pull ups. I didn't set her up for failure at any time. We just returned from the Wonder-7 nights and 6 hour car drive each way-no accidents, or even close. She told us potty in the pool and we had to take her out. :rolleyes:

Give her as many choices and as much control (within reason, of course for a 2 year old).

Let her pick out a potty treat-we used stickers, and small dino's, and stamps, I like something tangible she can show off.

I'm sorry, I must have mistyped what I meant. I wouldn't put her in the water if she wasn't fully potty trained, even if others were doing it.

It would just be upsetting to watch babies or toddlers in there with swim diapers on and not being able to take my daughter in.

We were on the Carnival Magic last month & there were 6, 8 or more babies/ toddlers in the pools every time I was sitting by them (pools). They did have swim diapers on but no one said ANYTHING to the attending parents.

A couple were babies not even walking - they were crawling around the edge of the pool where the waters only a couple of inches deep.

We were on the Carnival Magic last month & there were 6, 8 or more babies/ toddlers in the pools every time I was sitting by them (pools). They did have swim diapers on but no one said ANYTHING to the attending parents.

A couple were babies not even walking - they were crawling around the edge of the pool where the waters only a couple of inches deep.

Sigh. it sucks doesn't it? I didn't see any swim diapers or I would have told the lifeguard something. next time, just tell someone. I know in the evening there wasn't any staff watching. The pool is pretty empty at dinner/show time. I let my kid walk around in her dinner dress. I really don't care, lol. Well, that started other kids wanting in and some unhappy parents when their kid got wet. lol.

Sigh. it sucks doesn't it? I didn't see any swim diapers or I would have told the lifeguard something. next time, just tell someone. I know in the evening there wasn't any staff watching. The pool is pretty empty at dinner/show time. I let my kid walk around in her dinner dress. I really don't care, lol. Well, that started other kids wanting in and some unhappy parents when their kid got wet. lol.

I thought they didn't have life guards. Considering my daughter was almost 4 when she potty trained I'm not very hopeful my son will be. Our doctor has advised us not to push it because it can cause issues later. Disappointing but it's only 2 sea days at least. We'll find other things to do. Luckily it's early February so shouldn't be too hot.

I thought they didn't have life guards. Considering my daughter was almost 4 when she potty trained I'm not very hopeful my son will be. Our doctor has advised us not to push it because it can cause issues later. Disappointing but it's only 2 sea days at least. We'll find other things to do. Luckily it's early February so shouldn't be too hot.

Disney did during some hours, normally during the day. Though there is a no lifeguard on duty sign posted. There was one there daily, and I think each time asked us if dd was potty trained (she wasn't wearing a swim diaper, since she got out of our pool at home to go potty, I had no doubts.) I didn't see any at night, though the pool was open, there weren't many/any kids swimming, it was pretty empty. If my kid would have been able to stay awake later, I would have let her swim at night.

Every time Emma starts making progress with potty training I have to go somewhere and put her in a diaper. We made it two days at home then on the 3rd day had to go out so the 4th day was like starting all over practically. :(

Today is day 1... Again... :(:(:(

• 2 weeks later...

My son had been potty-trained for about a month when we went on our cruise.

Then he experienced the cruise ship potties for the first time - and he flat-out refused to use the potty for the first three days. (Finally I coaxed him on and then promised not to flush until he was well out of the bathroom and I had closed the door so he didn't have to listen to it.)

So bring diapers just in case your child decides that cruise toilets are not what he signed up for.

My son had been potty-trained for about a month when we went on our cruise.

Then he experienced the cruise ship potties for the first time - and he flat-out refused to use the potty for the first three days. (Finally I coaxed him on and then promised not to flush until he was well out of the bathroom and I had closed the door so he didn't have to listen to it.)

So bring diapers just in case your child decides that cruise toilets are not what he signed up for.

Oh, my! I will. Emma is for the most part potty trained- AT HOME! She doesn't understand when we are out she needs to go potty on the toilet, and nobody is volunteering to let me have her go diaperless at their homes. ;):eek: