Grand Voyages

Pettifogger

It seems to me that in the most recent mailing I received from Holland America the Grand Voyages were differentiated somewhat more from the other cruises than they had been in past mailings. I think there are prospective passengers who have the time and money for one month segments of Grand Voyages who have not yet discovered them, so I'm glad they'll have an increased chance to do so.

Of the five best cruises of my life, three were one month segments of Grand Voyages; one was a cruise on a Grand Voyage ship that was not designated a Grand Voyage, but was a grand voyage; and the fifth was on another cruise line before I discovered Holland America. I wish there were a few more Grand Voyages.

... one was a cruise on a Grand Voyage ship that was not designated a Grand Voyage, but was a grand voyage; ....

Would you mind explaining what you mean by that? How can a cruise be a Grand Voyage and not be a Grand Voyage at the same time??? :confused: The same ship is used throughout the year, but not every voyage on it is considered "Grand".

Would you mind explaining what you mean by that? How can a cruise be a Grand Voyage and not be a Grand Voyage at the same time??? :confused: The same ship is used throughout the year, but not every voyage on it is considered "Grand".

Not sure what the OP means, but, Ruth, we did a Pacific Rim on the Amsterdam before it was designated a "Grand Voyage".

It was presented as a semi-Grand, I guess you could say, with the pre-cruise folder full of info about the special nights (balls, theme nights); lots of pillow gifts; special discounts on wine packages, internet packages; superb decorating throughout the ship on theme nights; the DR crew in fabulous costumes on those nights; several private parties; a really first class Mariner Day with the HAL Mariner Rep (Margaret) from Seattle.

This cruise was call the Pacific Rim Explorer and it was grand!

Hummm. Special Balls and theme nights. Pillow Gifts. Special decorations and costumes for the crew. Almost sounds like a Grand cruise, without the credentials.

You mentioned that the HAL Mariner Rep was there, too. Could it have been a Mariners' Recognition Cruise?

Hummm. Special Balls and theme nights. Pillow Gifts. Special decorations and costumes for the crew. Almost sounds like a Grand cruise, without the credentials.

You mentioned that the HAL Mariner Rep was there, too. Could it have been a Mariners' Recognition Cruise?

No, Ruth, this was a 63 day "Explorer" cruise several years ago, Seattle to Russia, Japan, S. Korea, China, HK, Singapore, Indonesia, Australia, the South Pacific, Hawaii and SD. HAL has done similar every year since as a Grand.

Maybe HAL was experimenting, before they designated it a Grand. We were quite surprised to receive the huge folder of all the special info, just like on a Grand. It was one of the very best cruises we've been on. One thing we laugh about, though, is it took the HM 63 days to say "hello" to us, although our walk back to our cabin took us past his office three or four times a day for 63 days!

Ruth C.:

It seems to me that you answered your own question; the cruise was on a ship that's frequently used for Grand Voyages, the Amsterdam or the Prinsendam, but wasn't one of the Grand Voyages. However, it was a grand cruise/voyage.

There were none of the pillow gifts or other extras of a Grand Voyage; but I assumed that there was a considerable overlap with the selected officers and crew of the Grand Voyages. After several such cruises, I still have no idea how much overlap.

SilvertoGold:

I also once had a cabin on the Amsterdam within a few feet of the then Hotel Manager's cabin/office and he never said hello to me either, but I assumed that it was because he was totally preoccupied with running the hotel aspects of the cruise and the very happy results indicated that he was. I hope I get to enjoy a cruise like that again.

Hold on all. Much is information or mis-assumptions expressed here.

While most of the folks on a Grand Cruise do the whole trip, some folks do only parts of it. Most of the cruise experience is the same for both sets of folk, but there are some differences.

At the moment I am probably one of the few with very personal, very recent knowledge about both the full and partial Grand cruisers. Two weeks ago (12/4/13) I got off the 75 day 2013 Grand Pacific and Far East Voyage on the Amsterdam. I went on the full 75 day cruise (9/20 - 12/4/13). My husband joined the cruise in Hong Kong and sailed for 45 days to the end in Long Beach, CA. So, I was what they call a "full cruiser" and he was a "partial cruiser". About 40 folks got on in Hong Kong at the same time, others boarded in a few other ports. Some folks also got off in Hong Kong and a few other ports.

All of his experiences onboard were the same as mine EXCEPT for the periodic "gifts" HAL gives folks on Grand Cruises. Sometimes our gifts were the same (the well know Grand Cruise shoulder bags they give each Grand Cruise) and the very plush "throw". A few other times my "gifts" were definitely "Grander" than his in terms of cost.

Now, in terms of other "perks" of Grand Cruises that many Full Cruisers get while Partial Cruisers don't include are things like the Daily service gratuity, it was covered for me not for my husband. Also, I got free luggage shipping for two bags to the ship and home, he did not. (Note - "Full" folks in the pricier cabins got unlimited luggage shipping.) I signed-up for an ocean view cabin. The shipboard credit was also higher for "full" cruisers, it also varied with the type of cabin one signed-up for. Some of these Perks are only available for those who sign-up before a certain date.

I know that these similarities and differences still exist for cruises at least through the 2015 Grand as they were a part of the package we looked into with the Future Cruise Consultants onboard our cruise. I was looking into both the full cruise and a partial one.

I did want to answer this question as there was much "guessing" going on. Soon I will write more about the cruise as the Grand Cruises are so much more like the "old" HAL so many folks lament the loss of on Cruise Critic. (And yes, they are more expensive on a per day basis, but still generally comparable with prices 5 years ago when "current day dollar values" are calculated.

No, Ruth, this was a 63 day "Explorer" cruise several years ago, Seattle to Russia, Japan, S. Korea, China, HK, Singapore, Indonesia, Australia, the South Pacific, Hawaii and SD. HAL has done similar every year since as a Grand.

Oh, the Circle Pacific cruise (by whatever name)! Be still my heart. I've wanted to do that cruise since back in '93, when the guest lecturer was James Michener. (it started in Vancouver, then sailed to Seattle, before it headed over past the Aleutians that year.)

I was happy to be able to give my bosses such a good laugh when I asked for that much vacation time. :rolleyes:

While most of the folks on a Grand Cruise do the whole trip, some folks do only parts of it. Most of the cruise experience is the same for both sets of folk, but there are some differences.

At the moment I am probably one of the few with very personal, very recent knowledge about both the full and partial Grand cruisers. Two weeks ago (12/4/13) I got off the 75 day 2013 Grand Pacific and Far East Voyage on the Amsterdam. I went on the full 75 day cruise (9/20 - 12/4/13). My husband joined the cruise in Hong Kong and sailed for 45 days to the end in Long Beach, CA. So, I was what they call a "full cruiser" and he was a "partial cruiser". About 40 folks got on in Hong Kong at the same time, others boarded in a few other ports. Some folks also got off in Hong Kong and a few other ports.

All of his experiences onboard were the same as mine EXCEPT for the periodic "gifts" HAL gives folks on Grand Cruises. Sometimes our gifts were the same (the well know Grand Cruise shoulder bags they give each Grand Cruise) and the very plush "throw". A few other times my "gifts" were definitely "Grander" than his in terms of cost.

Now, in terms of other "perks" of Grand Cruises that many Full Cruisers get while Partial Cruisers don't include are things like the Daily service gratuity, it was covered for me not for my husband. Also, I got free luggage shipping for two bags to the ship and home, he did not. (Note - "Full" folks in the pricier cabins got unlimited luggage shipping.) I signed-up for an ocean view cabin. The shipboard credit was also higher for "full" cruisers, it also varied with the type of cabin one signed-up for. Some of these Perks are only available for those who sign-up before a certain date.

I know that these similarities and differences still exist for cruises at least through the 2015 Grand as they were a part of the package we looked into with the Future Cruise Consultants onboard our cruise. I was looking into both the full cruise and a partial one.

I did want to answer this question as there was much "guessing" going on. Soon I will write more about the cruise as the Grand Cruises are so much more like the "old" HAL so many folks lament the loss of on Cruise Critic. (And yes, they are more expensive on a per day basis, but still generally comparable with prices 5 years ago when "current day dollar values" are calculated.

I would like to comment here that a good deal of the information discussed by "Wander" will vary depending on whether the cruiser deals directly with HAL or a TA, which TA the cruiser chooses and which level of cabin the cruiser selects.

Scott & Karen

Oh, the Circle Pacific cruise (by whatever name)! Be still my heart. I've wanted to do that cruise since back in '93, when the guest lecturer was James Michener. (it started in Vancouver, then sailed to Seattle, before it headed over past the Aleutians that year.)

I was happy to be able to give my bosses such a good laugh when I asked for that much vacation time. :rolleyes:

Ruth

It was a great cruise, so long, so much new to us. We didn't reaize it was to be a "nearly Grand' and we were so impresssed. I LOVED all the decorating, the pillow gifts, the spceialness of the whole cruise.

The only cruise we have done that was "better" was the 42 day Antarctic and S. America and that was because of the Antarctic part.

Hope you have the chance to do the Circle pacific.

And, Merry Christmas to you!

Ooops!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Cavediving,

I believe you were on the same cruise, and part of the Cruise Critic group. Anyhow, could you please provide any specifics that I mentioned that were not available from HAL to all outside cabin early bookers. I definitely DO NOT want to give any inaccurate information and would correct myself. There is enough misinformation or generalized information on CC and I do not want to add to it.

As I mentioned in my comments, what you got did vary with cabin level, definitely AND when one booked. I just went back to check and other than the specific amounts of OBC, which I did NOT mention, the gifts, gratuity coverage and luggage shipping I mentioned were for ALL FULL cruisers, regardless of who one booked though. I just went back and looked at all my old paperwork and they were HAL early booking perks. (WE BOOKED IN NOVEMBER 2011, one year and 10 months before the cruise.) That was what HAL was offering and what I got. And yes, we did get some other perks from our TA, but not ones I mentioned in my write-up.

My good dinner friends booked through several different TAs and the "goodies" I mentioned were available to all. Now, our TA did offer a few other perks (like a different bag, a Pinnacle dinner, parties and a tour) and the OBC differed, but the specifics I mentioned were universal for all WITH early booking, and were also offered again by the onboard FCCs for early booking for World 2015. As I stated in my entry, my "perks" were for EARLY booking and for an outside window cabin. They would be less for insides (no free luggage I believe, but not sure about that) and greater for veranda cabins and even more for Suites. Also, at some point closer to the actual cruise date they change drastically. We booked in 2011

RuthC

I know what you mean about employers. We could not do it until we retired, but thankfully we have remained in good enough health to do it 3 times now. I do hope you get to do it. While some basic ports are the same each time, most of them deserve more than 1 or 2 day visits. Then for the rest of the ports there are numerous changes each time so always something ports new. I highly recommend the cruise. This year besides the basics in Asia we visited numerous WWII sites - like Guadalcanal. Manila, Majaro, Papua New Guinea, Guam, and several more. I found them interesting. Good luck on making the cruise some day.

Cavediving,

I believe you were on the same cruise, and part of the Cruise Critic group. Anyhow, could you please provide any specifics that I mentioned that were not available from HAL to all outside cabin early bookers. I definitely DO NOT want to give any inaccurate information and would correct myself. There is enough misinformation or generalized information on CC and I do not want to add to it.

As I mentioned in my comments, what you got did vary with cabin level, definitely AND when one booked. I just went back to check and other than the specific amounts of OBC, which I did NOT mention, the gifts, gratuity coverage and luggage shipping I mentioned were for ALL FULL cruisers, regardless of who one booked though. I just went back and looked at all my old paperwork and they were HAL early booking perks. (WE BOOKED IN NOVEMBER 2011, one year and 10 months before the cruise.) That was what HAL was offering and what I got. And yes, we did get some other perks from our TA, but not ones I mentioned in my write-up.

My good dinner friends booked through several different TAs and the "goodies" I mentioned were available to all. Now, our TA did offer a few other perks (like a different bag, a Pinnacle dinner, parties and a tour) and the OBC differed, but the specifics I mentioned were universal for all WITH early booking, and were also offered again by the onboard FCCs for early booking for World 2015. As I stated in my entry, my "perks" were for EARLY booking and for an outside window cabin. They would be less for insides (no free luggage I believe, but not sure about that) and greater for veranda cabins and even more for Suites. Also, at some point closer to the actual cruise date they change drastically. We booked in 2011

Hi Wander,

Yes, we were on the same cruise. I did not mean to imply your information was misleading. If my words were interpreted in this way than I apologize. I only wanted to correct any possible misunderstanding. In your post, you did mention you were in an ocean view cabin but did not say that the perks mentioned were available only to those with outside cabins and above. You simply stated...

...Now, in terms of other "perks" of Grand Cruises that many Full Cruisers get while Partial Cruisers don't include are things like the Daily service gratuity, it was covered for me not for my husband. Also, I got free luggage shipping for two bags to the ship and home, he did not. (Note - "Full" folks in the pricier cabins got unlimited luggage shipping.) I signed-up for an ocean view cabin. The shipboard credit was also higher for "full" cruisers, it also varied with the type of cabin one signed-up for. Some of these Perks are only available for those who sign-up before a certain date...

We also booked our reservations over a year in advance of the cruise but being in an inside cabin, we did not have any luggage shipping or daily service gratuity covered. Also, the amount of shipboard credit and other perks received was a function of not only what level of cabin you reserved but much more importantly, the specific TA with whom you contracted.

These are the details of which I was referring. Sorry for any possible misinterpretation of my posting.

Scott & Karen

CaveDiving

Thank you for the response. I tried to be real clear but obviously I failed. Thanks for adding some specifics. I certainly do not want to mislead folks.

Overall I LOVED the cruise - hope you had a good time as well. We certainly visited some very interesting places - both cities and sparsely populated islands I had never heard of before I saw this itinerary.

For me personally, and I do not urge this view on others, the joy of a Grand Voyage is not any of the extras, but the fundamentals; that is, the selected officers and crew. If there were no extras at all, I'd still want to book any Grand Voyage with an itinerary I wanted.

For me personally, and I do not urge this view on others, the joy of a Grand Voyage is not any of the extras, but the fundamentals; that is, the selected officers and crew. If there were no extras at all, I'd still want to book any Grand Voyage with an itinerary I wanted.

I agree about the officers, but the crew is another story. They are told to ramp up the service, but we have seen Lido servers on their very first contract, so I am not sure how "selected" some are.