Class distinction on Celebrity

jocelysue

I actually enjoyed my (yes, ONE) cruise on Celebrity. But I have noticed over and over since then that the Celebrity forum is the least civil of any on Cruise Critic. We have two more Celebrity cruises planned -- Galapagos is very unusual among Celebrity ships and itineraries so that one is set, but the Caribbean one is up in the air now because of the attitude I have encountered here from fanboys and shills for the line. I think that is very relevant to OP's question about how new people are treated in the Celebrity world.

Sorry but I disagree with you. I gave been a Cruise Critic member for many years and have posted on many boards and IMHO the X board is one of the more friendly helpful boards. This is also one of the few boards where the hosts also join in the conversations and help. While we may not always agree with one another most keep it civil and not personal.:)

On the Reflection in March we had no issues with any other guests. Everyone we encountered were friendly. I witnessed no "attitudes" due to ones Captain's Club level

Edited by cruisingator2

I've read this entire thread and here's my 2 cents. We were on our first X cruise this November on the Reflection. I had some misgivings about it from the start because of the way some people have their nose in the air on this site. We are Diamonds on Royal, which makes us Elite on Celebrity, there are plenty of posts from "real Elites" that Diamonds coming over to their line is wrong, they want you to feel like the poor cousins being thrown a bone they don't deserve - Get over it, just because we get the same perks as you, the cruise line is not making you miss out on a drink or some other perk because they reciprocate loyalty levels.

Did we encounter the "I'm an Elite" mentality on our cruise, YES! We barely arrived at the port and some lady was dragging her husband around the crowd while we were still outside yelling to the porters that she was an Elite and she should go to the front of the line. The porters didn't even acknowledge her lol, but she was able to push by some others in line with her Elite rant....I've never seen Diamonds on Royal or Platinums on NCL do this! I've also never seen people do so much shoving & pushing to get to the front of the line as we saw in the terminal, Relax people, you're all going to get on board!

During the cruise we went to a couple of Elite functions, some were boasting about their number of cruises trying to find out if they were the highest number of cruises on board, but most people were there just to have a good time and enjoy their vacation. We heard a couple of times a day someone bragging to someone else they were Elite, it was usually the same few people we had heard bragging before, just like the few on here that keep posting they've never heard it, of course they haven't because they are the ones bragging about it.

You will have a great time on your cruise, you will spot the nose in the air Elites pretty quickly and just avoid them and have a great time with the 2000+ other people there. We already have our next cruise booked with X and looking forward to another great time! :)

I'm going to put some perspective on your post, but first I'd like to point something out. In your first paragraph you point out you're Elite by way of YOUR status on Royal Caribbean. I always have the signature option turned off, but after reading your commments about your RCCL status I turned it on. Voila! You have ALL your cruises posted in your signature. How did I know? :rolleyes: Is that bragging? Me thinks so.

I was on the Reflection TA that departed from Rome on November 1 and I don't recall you or your screen name on our rollcall, so I assume you were on a 7 night caribbean sailing after November 16. Probably later. That means the Captain's Club changes probably had already taken affect. Of course many, many of the Captain's Club member were talking about it and their status. Just common sense. Even on our transatlantic there was talk about an upcoming change. It's a big issue with loyal customers. And when talking about a point system where there was a conversion, points, level prior and level after the change, status is relevent to the conversations you heard.

Let's assume there were 3000 passengers on your sailing and you heard one lady complaining and throwing her status around during embarkation. That's less than 1/2 of 1/10% of the passengers. Do you really think that's indicative of all of the Captain's Club members? Again, me thinks not.

You claim you have never heard ANYONE brag about their loyalty status on Royal Caribbean or NCL? I find that very hard to believe. Not so hard to believe with NCL, but RCCL?

One question, with all the NCL cruises you have done, why Celebrity now? I can name quite a few reasons we have never sailed NCL, but I'd love to hear why you're "jumping ship" and coming to Celebrity. It can't be cost, as I'm sure Celebrity costs more.

SDT

Edited by SHill64

Voila! You have ALL your cruises posted in your signature. How did I know? :rolleyes: Is that bragging? Me thinks so.

SDT

Okay, I know that one wasn't directed at me but I've never thought of the signatures as bragging. Actually, I only put mine in the signature because those are some of my most cherished memories. The first cruises I took were with my aging grandparents and I miss them every day. Cruises helped us be together on vacation nearly worry-free. The next few have been markers of holiday between times of incredibly intense workloads at school and work with my mom, who's also my best friend that I don't get to see often enough.

Sometimes, I get private messages about specifics about the cruise destinations, ships, cruise lines, seasons, and ports based on my signature. Also, I've actually had my memory jogged about some people I've met on board when reminded that I'd met them based on their signatures.

I'd like to hear from everyone on this. If it looks like bragging, surely I want to reword it. I'm not a braggart. For the record, I don't have Elite or Diamond or Platinum or whatever...

Okay, I know that one wasn't directed at me but I've never thought of the signatures as bragging. Actually, I only put mine in the signature because those are some of my most cherished memories. The first cruises I took were with my aging grandparents and I miss them every day. Cruises helped us be together on vacation nearly worry-free. The next few have been markers of holiday between times of incredibly intense workloads at school and work with my mom, who's also my best friend that I don't get to see often enough.

Sometimes, I get private messages about specifics about the cruise destinations, ships, cruise lines, seasons, and ports based on my signature. Also, I've actually had my memory jogged about some people I've met on board when reminded that I'd met them based on their signatures.

I'd like to hear from everyone on this. If it looks like bragging, surely I want to reword it. I'm not a braggart. For the record, I don't have Elite or Diamond or Platinum or whatever...

It is absolutely not bragging when you're not pointing out how others were being pretentious about there status. I was only making a point in ABC's case. You're fine! :)

One question, with all the NCL cruises you have done, why Celebrity now? I can name quite a few reasons we have never sailed NCL, but I'd love to hear why you're "jumping ship" and coming to Celebrity. It can't be cost, as I'm sure Celebrity costs more.

NCL Platinum & RC Diamond

"Proud Wichita State Select Team Mom - Go Shox!!!"

I went to the NCL website and looked at the Latitudes loyalty section. I see why one might leave NCL. The Platinum benefits are very weak.

As a fellow well-seasoned traveller and cruiser about to take his first Celebrity cruise, I totally understand your concern. If I see one more post starting with "I'm an Elite Plus blah-blah-blah" or another whine about being screwed out of a status level because of the stupid conversion system, I'm going to spit! I've never experienced such status awareness elsewhere.

That being said, DW and I will shower with whatever soap is provided, buy our own drinks while the Elites worry about what price range of drinks their tickets can be used for during their cocktail hour, and will thoroughly enjoy our days ashore, even if we aren't the first off the ship.

You aren't the first to express these concerns, and probably won't be the last, but I agree with the other who have responded to you so far: relax and enjoy.

Bonne chance et amusez-vous bien! :)

Well said.

Not a problem here. I have my (few) cruises in my signature but since I use the ipad app signatures dont show anyway. Signatures with previous cruises help people understand your choices and experiences, Dont worry you are not a braggart. (never heard braggart before....sounds like someone from The Hobbit :-) )

I've been reading this thread with interest and it has drawn a number of interesting and of course conflicting replies.

We have been cruising for nearly 25 years now on HAL, Princess, RCL and NCL.

We have cruised in many inside cabins and other "classes" of cabins up as far as "The Royal Suite".

As a result of our cruise obsession we have moved up the tiers of the loyalty programs and are now at Zenith with Celebrity.

As I think of our cruising experience I must say that few holidays have less of a class structure than cruising.

When we play trivia or attend dance classes or enjoy a drink in the various lounges we have met fellow cruisers from every economic level staying in the same type of cabin or stateroom or any class of cabin.

We have witnessed arrogant, demanding, complaining, whining, abusive, boorish behaviour from people of all nationalities, races, countries and economic backgrounds. However we always seem to find wonderful, friendly, sociable cruisers that enjoy cruising as much as we do.

Life on board reflects society. Some people have class and behave accordingly. Some people think they have it and by their actions prove otherwise.

We have met more wonderful friends from every economic class, from insides to penthouses on our Celebrity Cruises. Celebrity provides us with our winter seaside condo and we have the best neighbours anyone could wish for.

I've been reading this thread with interest and it has drawn a number of interesting and of course conflicting replies.

We have cruised in many inside cabins and other "classes" of cabins up as far as "The Royal Suite".

As a result of our cruise obsession we have moved up the tiers of the loyalty programs and are now at Zenith with Celebrity.

As I think of our cruising experience I must say that few holidays have less of a class structure than cruising.

When we play trivia or attend dance classes or enjoy a drink in the various lounges we have met fellow cruisers from every economic level staying in the same type of cabin or stateroom or any class of cabin.

We have witnessed arrogant, demanding, complaining, whining, abusive, boorish behaviour from people of all nationalities, races, countries and economic backgrounds. However we always seem to find wonderful, friendly, sociable cruisers that enjoy cruising as much as we do.

Life on board reflects society. Some people have class and behave accordingly. Some people think they have it and by their actions prove otherwise.

We have met more wonderful friends from every economic class, from insides to penthouses on our Celebrity Cruises. Celebrity provides us with our winter seaside condo and we have the best neighbours anyone could wish for.

Bravo and perfectly stated.

Life is good. Happy Holidays to my fellow cruisers! :)

I agree with most of this:

But this is what I have a problem with:

This is exactly why the OP started this thread. And what I find even funnier, for a lack of a better term, is why up until yesterday you had a Celebrity Zenith icon as your avatar! Why change it?

Edited by SHill64

Thiss will be our first cruise on Celebrity and I'm beginning to have more & more misgivings about our choice.

We are well-seasoned travelleres and cruisers who have enjoyed wonderful expériences. Howerver, reading the Celebrity board, there seems to be ever so much more snobbiness and class distinction on the line.

For example, on HAL,every cabin received Elemis products and a housecoat.Fresh orange juice was available for free to everyone in the morning.If one had a suite, the was a pricate reception room with concierge services but that was about all the distinction there was. Didn't seem to matter how many stars one had either.

On the X board, I see fellow passengers making distinctions between those who are higher up on the Captain's Club scale and those who are not. . There also seems to be a distinction between those who cruise Solstice class and those who cruise Millenium . So many little things that enhance class feeling: stools on balcony, privileged seating in theatre, etc.

For those who feel like flaming me, it's your call. Of course we could have chosen another line that we know and are comfortable with, but DH & I like to experience something different and X does have a good reputation

. Plus the date, price and itinerary suited us. Plus we do like fixed seating and formal evenings.

So perhaps I'm feeling misconceptions and my apprehensions are not well- founded. Please let us know if X is class-oriented or not. Thanks

My advice for you would be to get involved in your rollcall for every sailing. Make a point to read everyone's posts. It's a great way to get to know someone pretty well prior to sailing.

Posts like this is how my wife & I decide who we want to spend our time with during our vacation. Over the many years we have sailed on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, we have made some very close friends from Cruise Critic and cruising. Many times we coordinate our vacations so we can be together. I'm sure if you pay attention to the posts on this website, you'll be able to make friends and connections like ours as well.

I wonder if a Balcony cruiser is assigned better seating in the MDR then an inside cruiser?

I don't think your cabin determines your table location, since we were in a hump-angle Balcony and had a table in the MDR in a dreadful location. We didn't ask to change because someone has to get that table, so we just dealt with it. It was not going to ruin our cruise to be at the back of the room near the kitchen (and maybe our food was warmer ;)). We were traveling with friends and that was the important factor.

We have achieved a little Captain's Club status, and I still don't like it when people post their status in their signatures, but in their defense, it does add to the credibility of their responses to questions - a person who is Elite Plus has been on quite a few Celebrity cruises, so probably has answers to most questions. Some people don't like that I put the cruises I've been on. I think if we all work from the premise that most of us are on Cruise Critic because we want to help others, maybe that will make the discussions a little more palatable. And sometimes even the best of us gets cranky (though I don't think I've ever seen Larry Simon being cranky), so please forgive us when that happens.

Beth

Well put and let me add that in 15 cruises on Celebrity and 5 on Princess, I have never heard anyone mention his or her loyalty club status.

I agree with most of this:

But this is what I have a problem with:

This is exactly why the OP started this thread. And what I find even funnier, for a lack of a better term, is why up until yesterday you had a Celebrity Zenith icon as your avatar! Why change it?

The OP is concerned that frequent cruisers, or fliers, or any other perk producing program gets more than she does??

Is she upset that there are boarding lines for elite or AQ or Suite guests?

Is she upset when she is not first to board an airplane if she's not in 1st class, or business class?

Is she upset that others who have cruised on Celebrity get more perks as they cruise more often?

If her post is about "class" as a result of her being a first time cruiser on Celebrity and wanting the same perks as those doing it for years she has a problem.

If her post is trepidation about being treated differently by staff or most other cruisers then her fears are unfounded.

And about the avatar, I've changed it four times since returning on Dec 9th. I just wished to express my gratitude to Celebrity for giving us our "Z" designation. We love it, could not be happier with the new program.

We will continue to hang out with friends we have made in the past and those that we will meet in the future. "Birds of a feather will flock together", even on a ship.

Why do you try to bully everyone on this thread?

i really think this "class" concern is no issue at all, initiated by the CC points changes. Created a lot of good conversation leading to a better understanding of the revised tier system. As someone else stated.....we cruise for the pleasure and sure some perks are nice but doesn't make me feel superior in any way. In many ways our best cruise was our first....with zero perks. :).

We all have probably run into some that we thought would drown in a gentle rain squall :) but those people are of no focus to us.....Life's too short.....AND..we are going to enjoy our cruise.....;)

And about the avatar, I've changed it four times since returning on Dec 9th. I just wished to express my gratitude to Celebrity for giving us our "Z" designation.

With all due respect, that is just laughable. Celebrity couldn't care less about your avatar. If you'd like to express your gratitude, write the corporate office a letter. In my opinion, that's not why you had it there.

Why do you try to bully everyone on this thread?

If you want to use the latest catch phrase, bully, that's fine. These boards are here for a few different things. This is a social media. Social means to socialize and have fun. But mostly these boards are to help people that have legitimate questions about cruising. How can anyone rely on someone's opinion or advice when some providing the advice are contradicting themselves? Really? I point out that a CC member is making comments about others being or not being pretentous on Celebrity cruises and that person is doing exactly what the OP was concerned about to begin with. That's bullying? No, that's pointing out the facts. I've also pointed out that when someone has only cruised with Celebrity once, that does not make them quailifed to respond to a question that requires experience. Too many people claim to be authorties on things here with little or no knowledge of what they speak of. You're free to express your opinion here, but please don't make your opinion appear to be factual.

SHill, reread my comment, the part you pinpointed was made about the ONE lady pushing her way through the crowd to get into the terminal, and NO, I have never seen any one ever do that before for a Royal or NCL cruise. You really wanted to tell her to just calm down, wait her turn with everyone else, we all would get on the ship.

Maybe it's the word "Elite", but it really seems to go to some people's head. They are getting loyalty benefits from a cruise line, that's it, they don't need to think that makes them better than others. Yes, I have my cruises listed, no bragging there, just a list of wonderful trips we have had on various cruise lines.

We encountered more "braggers" than usual on this cruise, no big deal, easy enough to tune them out. If that's what makes them feel better about themselves and it's what they feel the need to do, so be it.

We haven't left NCL or Royal for Celebrity, we wanted to give them a try and we had a great time, so we have our next cruise booked. We have a future cruise certificate pending with NCL which we still use and enjoy, as well as future cruises with Royal

SHill, reread my comment, the part you pinpointed was made about the ONE lady pushing her way through the crowd to get into the terminal, and NO, I have never seen any one ever do that before for a Royal or NCL cruise. You really wanted to tell her to just calm down, wait her turn with everyone else, we all would get on the ship.

Maybe it's the word "Elite", but it really seems to go to some people's head. They are getting loyalty benefits from a cruise line, that's it, they don't need to think that makes them better than others. Yes, I have my cruises listed, no bragging there, just a list of wonderful trips we have had on various cruise lines.

We encountered more "braggers" than usual on this cruise, no big deal, easy enough to tune them out. If that's what makes them feel better about themselves and it's what they feel the need to do, so be it.

We haven't left NCL or Royal for Celebrity, we wanted to give them a try and we had a great time, so we have our next cruise booked. We have a future cruise certificate pending with NCL which we still use and enjoy, as well as future cruises with Royal

As a long time RCI cruiser I know for a fact that those same types exist. Any visit to the special pre boarding areas or the Concierge lounge will give some great examples. As a matter of fact going to the Concierge lounge on RCI is more for entertainment purposes for us than anything else. It becomes a dueling game of who has the most cruises and who knows more crew members. Those people make a horses behind of themselves but it is fun to watch. Bottom line is that those type people exist on every cruise line because those type people exist in every day life. :)

Edited by cruisingator2

I do want to add though: sometimes it can be really fun to get to know the elites. On our second cruise on Celebrity, we had the treat of being seated with two other families for dinner with daughters my age. We got the best seat in the house and the Matre'd always came over to check on us and bring us special treats because he knew one of the other families. We also had smoother reboarding at ports and arranging of shore activities because we did them as a group and they had some clout.

Sometimes, when people are really proud of something or see themselves as experts, it's best just to honor/validate their sentiments and take the opportunity to land some perks and learn some cruising snine are friendly and one is an abrasive loon. Bond with the nine and laugh at the one.

Edited by DesertPesce7751
clarity

Sometimes it is difficult to deal with some folks. DW and I have learned to keep a low profile when it comes to talking about our cruise history. But at times it becomes impossible (and almost embarrassing). At a dinner table, lunch table, in a bar, etc. folks will often ask "how many cruises have you taken" or "how many cruise lines have you been on." We normally will respond by saying something like "we don't remember." That often gets more questions to which I will often say, "I truly do not remember." And that is the truth....DW and I no longer have any clue to how many cruises we have taken...and it really does not matter. But when you try to not answer those questions, or change the subject, folks often become more inquisitive. And then if we do answer, they think we are bragging. Sometimes there is just no way to handle that type of discussion.

Hank

Sometimes it is difficult to deal with some folks. DW and I have learned to keep a low profile when it comes to talking about our cruise history. But at times it becomes impossible (and almost embarrassing). At a dinner table, lunch table, in a bar, etc. folks will often ask "how many cruises have you taken" or "how many cruise lines have you been on." We normally will respond by saying something like "we don't remember." That often gets more questions to which I will often say, "I truly do not remember." And that is the truth....DW and I no longer have any clue to how many cruises we have taken...and it really does not matter. But when you try to not answer those questions, or change the subject, folks often become more inquisitive. And then if we do answer, they think we are bragging. Sometimes there is just no way to handle that type of discussion.

Hank

We generally reply to those questions with, "Oh, a few. Our favorite was ___. What has been yours?" and if they haven't been on many prior, we go with, "Where do you want to go next?" People love talking about themselves much of the time, right? Easy redirect.