Class distinction on Celebrity

jocelysue

The issue isn't whether Elites act entitled (although that would make it worse). The real issue is that Celebrity is leading the way back to the Titantic-style class system on cruises. As food in the MDR continues to decline in quality, those poor souls in regular cabins with non-elite status are rapidly becoming Steerage Class. This will be self-defeating, as that is most likely the entry point for new customers. If they feel that Celebrity really isn't any better than the basic cruise line they have been using, they'll go back and never try Celebrity again.

Interesting. When we have stayed in aqua class, we have eaten in the MDR more frequently than Blu and I take food very seriously.

... Cunard had the Queens Room where we common people couldn't go...

Do you, by any chance, mean "The Queens Grill Lounge"? Just to be clear, the Queen's Room on all Cunard ships is one of the most important public spaces on the ship. It serves mainly as the ballroom and is open to all passengers regardless of their cabin grade. the Queens Grill Lounge is a small lounge reserved for the use of Grills passengers.

J

I have just read this entire thread and am shaking my head. My first cruise on X was in March but have been cruising almost thirty years. No there is not a class system. Not even close. There is a system in place to allow more choices for those that choose to pay for them such as specialty dining. There is also a system in place to reward loyalty for repeat cruisers. Most cruise lines have all of these options and rewards in place.

For us we choose to book nice suites because we enjoy the extra space and larger balcony that comes with the larger stateroom. Due to the price of suites most cruise lines offer extra perks. Some we enjoy and some we do not use. We don't care for the MDR even though we did try it one evening and the food and service was fine but we prefer the smaller venues of the specialty restaurants which we pay for. We enjoy the premium cocktail package but we pay for this and the list goes on. Every other person on the ship has the same choice when it cones to booking a stateroom. If you want them then be prepared to pay for them.

We are Elite on X due to our C&A status with RCI. Most of the perks go unused by us as they simply don't interest us but they are important to the many that earned those perks with their loyalty. They should not be made to feel guilty because of the use of the perks or type cabins booked. I certainly do not feel guilty. I think some need to worry about themselves and not what others have or don't have. Life's too short.

In an earlier thread, a poster asked if since Celebrity had added new Loyalty Tiers if those who use to be the highest tier, Elites, had lost "status" since they were no longer the top tier. The responses were very similar as you see here - there is no "status" so no loss of any. And There is no "class identification".

Here is what I posted that I think is germane here:

"Status of being Elite and now losing status not being Zenith? What am I missing here? There was and is no status. There are some benefits to entice us to cruise with this particular Line.

What status do I get from stuffing dirty laundry into a bag and getting it back with no charge?

What status do I get sitting in my SR or the Internet Lounge staring at a computer screen for free, instead of meeting neat people, seeing beautiful sites, or just looking out at the endless horizon?

What status do I get trying to find an open seat at a crowded lounge, or hand a waiter a slip of paper so I can suck down a free drink?

What status do I get eating a free breakfast when there are free breakfasts all over the ship.....oh, I forgot the status of getting a free special coffee.....that Must Be It!

And I forgot the status I gained from walking around insisting everyone see that my Cruise Card had 'Elite' on it. I could tell I had 'status, from all the admiring looks I got from everyone I did that to. "

Along with no status due to some loyalty tier, there is no class system or separation. There will always be a few who get upset because there is some party being thrown for those who have cruised previously to entice them to cruise more. It's a business practice done by almost any service-oriented business.

Enjoy your cruise. And when I walk up and insist you look at my card showing some tier status, just grin and go "well, aren't you special". You'll be happy treating me like the idiot I am, and I'll be happy thinking you are sooooo impressed with my "Class Status".

Den

Quote:I've never really seen that on a Celebrity ship but I'm also usually in a cabin on a lower deck (and ofter inside), so I'm usually with the more normal people who just want to enjoy a great vacation...

Are you serious?

More Normal people? don't see where you get off saying this?

We choose to be in a balcony cabin because that is what we like and all we want is to enjoy our vacation for which we have both worked hard for and don't care about any extras that may come with the cabin

So get rid off that chip on your shoulder

Edited by chester32

My mother and I have become frequent cruisers and our two most frequent lines are HAL and Celebrity.

ON HAL, we've had an inside cabin, veranda cabin, and suite. On Celebrity, we've had an inside cabin on a century class ship, a concierge cabin on a millennium class ship, an aqua cabin on both a millennium class ship and solstice class ship, and an inside cabin on a millennium class ship (in that order). We've found consistently high-quality service and friendly fellow passengers at all "levels" of service.

Celebrity passengers and crew alike have all been pretty fantastic and no one runs around on the public decks inquiring about your "status" in captains club or your stateroom "level" before sitting down for a game of trivia or waiting at the bar for a drink.

Caveat: If you're in an inside cabin (or any cabin, really), my best advice is to run to the store before you go and get complimentary outlet adapters. We found that the inside cabins on the millennium class ships didn't have enough outlet space and the only one close to the nightstand was a European-style one. I'm glad I brought my converters so I could charge my phone and dry my hair at once.

So, relax and have fun and enjoy your cruise!

Edited by DesertPesce7751

This class thing on ships is funny. On a recent Princess cruise one fanbois of that line was going to great lengths explaining why he had a black card and they only had silver and blue. I could care less what colour card people have as I just don't notice things like that.

I choose a cruise based on itinerary so I'll probably never get status with anyone. Although I do enjoy the perks of having shares with Carnival but that's just OBC. No status at all!

People can try to make you feel inferior about their status but if you don't worry about such things (or like me, don't even notice it) then it makes no difference to how I feel.

I also think that most loyal cruisers who do enjoy status don't behave badly. It's just the not so nice ones are the ones who you remember.

I enjoy Cunard too but always go "steerage". :p. But I'm not sure where the comment about no access to Queens Room came from? The only places you can't go to are the Grills sun decks and restaurants. But if you wanted to pay more anyone can book Grills. Nothing to do with status but just how much money you wanted to pay.

Edited by Pushka

If there were a class system onboard how would I recognise it?

What would be the problem.

Maybe there is a class system and I just did not know

Next time we cruise together, realize that anyone with me and that I deem to speak to is the Top Class......everyone else is Lower Class. Its that simple!

Don't you just love it.

Den

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

Eleanore Roosevelt, in her book This Is My Story, 1937

Truer word never said

I like the original op have never cruised with celebrity(first one next year) before only on Royal

But I certainly don't have any concerns about peoples status as we are all there to have a well earned break and enjoy ourselves

Have to admit though I find it amusing that people find it necessary to state their status in their signatures each to there own I guess

So just enjoy your cruise and everyone have a merry xmas;)

If there were a class system onboard how would I recognise it?

What would be the problem.

Maybe there is a class system and I just did not know

The lower class comes to dinner on formal night in tank tops, cut-off shorts and flip flops :D

Edited by Kellie Poodle

Truer word never said

I like the original op have never cruised with celebrity(first one next year) before only on Royal

I've sailed on Royal (a lot), Celebrity, several river cruises and one forgettable cruise on NCL. The only place I've seen status snobbery was on a couple of Royal Cruises. :(

Of course that doesn't stop me from cruising with them if I like the itinerary.

Thiss will be our first cruise on Celebrity and I'm beginning to have more & more misgivings about our choice.

We are well-seasoned travelleres and cruisers who have enjoyed wonderful expériences. Howerver, reading the Celebrity board, there seems to be ever so much more snobbiness and class distinction on the line.

For example, on HAL,every cabin received Elemis products and a housecoat.Fresh orange juice was available for free to everyone in the morning.If one had a suite, the was a pricate reception room with concierge services but that was about all the distinction there was. Didn't seem to matter how many stars one had either.

On the X board, I see fellow passengers making distinctions between those who are higher up on the Captain's Club scale and those who are not. . There also seems to be a distinction between those who cruise Solstice class and those who cruise Millenium . So many little things that enhance class feeling: stools on balcony, privileged seating in theatre, etc.

For those who feel like flaming me, it's your call. Of course we could have chosen another line that we know and are comfortable with, but DH & I like to experience something different and X does have a good reputation

. Plus the date, price and itinerary suited us. Plus we do like fixed seating and formal evenings.

So perhaps I'm feeling misconceptions and my apprehensions are not well- founded. Please let us know if X is class-oriented or not. Thanks

Since you are a seasoned traveller and cruiser - relax, you will enjoy your cruise, don't pay any attention to status issues, simply seek out what you like and ask for what you want. That is what we do on any cruise line -generally it works well. We had similar mixed feelings a few years back when we went on Cunard for the first time, after reading the boards and reading unless we were in suites we would not be able to ... we found the opposite was actually the case when we got on board. We enjoyed our cruise so much we booked another one while on board.

Hope you have a great cruise.

As food in the MDR continues to decline in quality

Ok, explain to me how you got this from one Celebrity cruise. What do you have to compare it to? Your second Celebrity cruise? :confused:

those poor souls in regular cabins with non-elite status are rapidly becoming Steerage Class.

Who told you they feel like this?

I actually enjoyed my (yes, ONE) cruise on Celebrity. But I have noticed over and over since then that the Celebrity forum is the least civil of any on Cruise Critic. We have two more Celebrity cruises planned -- Galapagos is very unusual among Celebrity ships and itineraries so that one is set, but the Caribbean one is up in the air now because of the attitude I have encountered here from fanboys and shills for the line. I think that is very relevant to OP's question about how new people are treated in the Celebrity world.

Edited by jazzbeau

Sorry for going off topic.

Jazzbeau, please do not let such a small percentage of Celebrity guests put you off cruising such a good line.

With no stats available, I would guess it is way less than 2% of the Celebrity population that post on this board with a grandious ideas.

That being said, the chances of meeting them on board are slender as you will have your own agenda which won't include them.

Cheers, h.

11468575224_9473b21df3_o.jpg

Preview, Classic, Select, Elite, Elite+, & Zenith

I've read this entire thread and here's my 2 cents. We were on our first X cruise this November on the Reflection. I had some misgivings about it from the start because of the way some people have their nose in the air on this site. We are Diamonds on Royal, which makes us Elite on Celebrity, there are plenty of posts from "real Elites" that Diamonds coming over to their line is wrong, they want you to feel like the poor cousins being thrown a bone they don't deserve - Get over it, just because we get the same perks as you, the cruise line is not making you miss out on a drink or some other perk because they reciprocate loyalty levels.

Did we encounter the "I'm an Elite" mentality on our cruise, YES! We barely arrived at the port and some lady was dragging her husband around the crowd while we were still outside yelling to the porters that she was an Elite and she should go to the front of the line. The porters didn't even acknowledge her lol, but she was able to push by some others in line with her Elite rant....I've never seen Diamonds on Royal or Platinums on NCL do this! I've also never seen people do so much shoving & pushing to get to the front of the line as we saw in the terminal, Relax people, you're all going to get on board!

During the cruise we went to a couple of Elite functions, some were boasting about their number of cruises trying to find out if they were the highest number of cruises on board, but most people were there just to have a good time and enjoy their vacation. We heard a couple of times a day someone bragging to someone else they were Elite, it was usually the same few people we had heard bragging before, just like the few on here that keep posting they've never heard it, of course they haven't because they are the ones bragging about it.

You will have a great time on your cruise, you will spot the nose in the air Elites pretty quickly and just avoid them and have a great time with the 2000+ other people there. We already have our next cruise booked with X and looking forward to another great time! :)

Edited by ABC Cruisers

OP, I haven't taken my first Celebrity cruise yet, but I am not worried about this at all. There is some degree of "class distinction" on every cruise line, but it has never impacted me having a great time.

I'll use HAL as my example since that's the line you mentioned...in addition to the Neptune Lounge, suite pax receive a private cocktail party, a private luncheon, breakfast in the Pinnacle, flowers for formal nights, priority embarkation and tender, etc. All of these are things that are outwardly visible and aren't available to non-suite customers. If I choose a suite I get those perks, and if I don't choose a suite they're not available to me. It's the same way on every cruise line except Carnival, who doesn't offer anything but extra real estate and priority boarding for their suite guests. HAL's Star Mariner program also offers some exclusive events, including the embarkation luncheon and Mariner's luncheon that aren't available to all passengers, and serve to close a large public space (the MDR).

I don't spend as much time on the HAL board as I do others because I don't think I'll take another HAL cruise for a while, but there are many there who are fond of discussing their star status, and display their status proudly on every post. I don't find it all that different than what I see here. The biggest difference is that Celebrity just made major changes to their program so it's been a hot topic of discussion.

Go and enjoy your cruise...on a list of things to worry about, I would put this at the bottom.

OP, I haven't taken my first Celebrity cruise yet, but I am not worried about this at all. There is some degree of "class distinction" on every cruise line, but it has never impacted me having a great time.

I'll use HAL as my example since that's the line you mentioned...in addition to the Neptune Lounge, suite pax receive a private cocktail party, a private luncheon, breakfast in the Pinnacle, flowers for formal nights, priority embarkation and tender, etc. All of these are things that are outwardly visible and aren't available to non-suite customers. If I choose a suite I get those perks, and if I don't choose a suite they're not available to me. It's the same way on every cruise line except Carnival, who doesn't offer anything but extra real estate and priority boarding for their suite guests. HAL's Star Mariner program also offers some exclusive events, including the embarkation luncheon and Mariner's luncheon that aren't available to all passengers, and serve to close a large public space (the MDR).

I don't spend as much time on the HAL board as I do others because I don't think I'll take another HAL cruise for a while, but there are many there who are fond of discussing their star status, and display their status proudly on every post. I don't find it all that different than what I see here. The biggest difference is that Celebrity just made major changes to their program so it's been a hot topic of discussion.

Go and enjoy your cruise...on a list of things to worry about, I would put this at the bottom.

Cindy - You certainly have the right attitude! :) Good for you!! I think you will thoroughly enjoy your cruise on the Constellation next May. It is one terrific ship and crew.

Thiss will be our first cruise on Celebrity and I'm beginning to have more & more misgivings about our choice.

We are well-seasoned travelleres and cruisers who have enjoyed wonderful expériences. Howerver, reading the Celebrity board, there seems to be ever so much more snobbiness and class distinction on the line.

For example, on HAL,every cabin received Elemis products and a housecoat.Fresh orange juice was available for free to everyone in the morning.If one had a suite, the was a pricate reception room with concierge services but that was about all the distinction there was. Didn't seem to matter how many stars one had either.

On the X board, I see fellow passengers making distinctions between those who are higher up on the Captain's Club scale and those who are not. . There also seems to be a distinction between those who cruise Solstice class and those who cruise Millenium . So many little things that enhance class feeling: stools on balcony, privileged seating in theatre, etc.

For those who feel like flaming me, it's your call. Of course we could have chosen another line that we know and are comfortable with, but DH & I like to experience something different and X does have a good reputation

. Plus the date, price and itinerary suited us. Plus we do like fixed seating and formal evenings.

So perhaps I'm feeling misconceptions and my apprehensions are not well- founded. Please let us know if X is class-oriented or not. Thanks

I would certainly echo the comments downplaying any 'level' snobbery

on Celebrity. We haven't seen any in our cruises and I am not sure how anyone can really make a display of 'elite' status without being somewhat

self aggrandizing.

That said I never paid attention to our cruise 'levels' since IMHO they do not bring many real benefits. We pretty much pick a ship, itinerary, and price point between X, Princess, and NCL and any quest for points is a non-issue. As a frequent traveler, I do monitor airline and hotel programs because they can provide meaningful rewards. Maintaining the highest levels for these can be relatively difficult since they require considerable travel/ loyalty every year. I guess deep down I always felt that anyone who would make a big deal out of being an 'elite' program member is pretty shallow. JMHO