Black, black and more black!!!!

CruzyMary

Just returned from a T/A and one thing really stood out in the fashion world - the color black!!!! Yes - the most versatile color to mix and match but on formal night - the ship was a sea of black. One lady came off the elevator in a beautiful emerald green dress and the wow factor was amazing - primarily for the splash of color. I am totally rethinking my future cruise wear - leaving black at home!!!!!!!!!!

We are heading to Florida tomorrow for our cruise on Monday. I have 11 dresses for 11 nights and only 2 are LBD's and the other 9 are bursts of color. I tried on everything last week and the fit and cut are great. I will be doing a "Live from the Legend" report on the Royal Caribbean board, so y'all are welcome to follow along with all of my fashion choices. After losing 55 pounds last year, I am ready to rock my new body. :D

Lisa

We are heading to Florida tomorrow for our cruise on Monday. I have 11 dresses for 11 nights and only 2 are LBD's and the other 9 are bursts of color. I tried on everything last week and the fit and cut are great. I will be doing a "Live from the Legend" report on the Royal Caribbean board, so y'all are welcome to follow along with all of my fashion choices. After losing 55 pounds last year, I am ready to rock my new body. :D

Lisa

You go girl!

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

I disagree. Caring about your appearance entails more than buying a pretty dress.

Correct & I have never seen any pictures on this forum from someone who did not care about their appearance . They were all well groomed and dressed well . If they did not match your stepford image of people too bad but this is what real people look like .I feel sad for you to go through life so judgemental it must be exhausting to be you .

Edited by Sailor_Sally

Lisa

Have agreat time !

Correct & I have never seen any pictures on this forum from someone who did not care about their appearance . They were all well groomed and dressed well . If they did not match your stepford image of people too bad but this is what real people look like .I feel sad for you to go through life so judgemental it must be exhausting to be you .

I have made very general statements, nothing more, nothing less. It seems that you are the one doing the judging.

Lisa

I am looking forward to your review. I can't wait to see your fashion pics and your thoughts about the Legend. Would like to book Legend in the future.

Have a great time!

I can't even remember the last time I purchased a dress for a cruise. I went through a phase a few years ago where I was buying every "great deal" that came along. Some of it got worn, some of it passed on to others. I don't do trendy, so my cocktail dresses can last for years (if I ever wear any again).

But out of curiosity I looked through the remaining dresses and only found two in black :confused: I love black and thought I had several cocktail dresses in black. Nope, one gold, a couple blue, a real pretty red one, a brown one that I love and one that is a copper/black print.

I do wear black pants on casual nights, so I only have to take one pair and they can work for several nights (I do get them dry cleaned!).

I'm one who admires when a person, male or female, really knows how to dress for their age and body type. I look at a lot of people, we all judge whether we want to admit it or not and sometimes I see oddities. But, on the other hand, when I see a happy face on that person, whatever they are wearing, it makes me happy for them. They are having a great time and feel like a million bucks.

I just hope I never see a photo of myself with a black rectangle disguising my face in a "don't wear this" article :p

Just returned from a T/A and one thing really stood out in the fashion world - the color black!!!! Yes - the most versatile color to mix and match but on formal night - the ship was a sea of black. One lady came off the elevator in a beautiful emerald green dress and the wow factor was amazing - primarily for the splash of color. I am totally rethinking my future cruise wear - leaving black at home!!!!!!!!!!

I am planning a very long trip with 3 cruises on 2 cruise lines this Spring. I decided to take a pair of white evening pants and lighten up my evening clothes in general. I have a gorgeous jade green and white vine print top with white sequins scattered over it. I added a white chiffon shawl and my pants with blingy white sandals, and it's a really nice dressy outfit.

I also bought a light grey chiffon tank with matching sheer chiffon coat on ebay that I'm wearing with my grey chiffon skirt for another formal night.

I also bought an amazing mint green chiffon "art deco" tank on clearance at Dress Barn with the front covered in silver beading that I'm wearing with my black chiffon open jacket and black chiffon skirt.

I've been trying to add color to my usual black standards, and I've had good luck with it.

I am planning a very long trip with 3 cruises on 2 cruise lines this Spring. I decided to take a pair of white evening pants and lighten up my evening clothes in general. I have a gorgeous jade green and white vine print top with white sequins scattered over it. I added a white chiffon shawl and my pants with blingy white sandals, and it's a really nice dressy outfit.

I also bought a light grey chiffon tank with matching sheer chiffon coat on ebay that I'm wearing with my grey chiffon skirt for another formal night.

I also bought an amazing mint green chiffon "art deco" tank on clearance at Dress Barn with the front covered in silver beading that I'm wearing with my black chiffon open jacket and black chiffon skirt.

I've been trying to add color to my usual black standards, and I've had good luck with it.

Sounds very pretty. I'd be scared to plan on wearing white pants more than once because knowing my luck I'd spill red wine all over them the first night. I am going to take a pair to Tahiti, but the tops I wear with them would also go with the black pair I'll be taking, so I've got a plan B. :)

Sounds very pretty. I'd be scared to plan on wearing white pants more than once because knowing my luck I'd spill red wine all over them the first night. I am going to take a pair to Tahiti, but the tops I wear with them would also go with the black pair I'll be taking, so I've got a plan B. :)

HA! I know what you mean. My husband looked at the white pants and said they would get dirty easily, but he thought I was going to wear them during the day. I told him only for evenings.

And, I don't drink red wine, so I'm safe as far as that's concerned. I figure I'll either send them out for dry cleaning, or spot clean them in the bathroom.

I am taking a very large number of chiffon day blouses, too. I have found I can have a lot more choices by taking these with several tank tops to wear under them. The tanks are easily washed in the bathroom sink, and I take colors that will work with the sheer tops. These tops are great for evenings, too.

But, my standards are two slinky knit suits with matching jackets and pants: one black and one brown. I'm not going to push my luck too far with those white pants. :D

I also have the requisite LBD in cocktail and floor-lengths. But I'm done with black and refuse to buy any more of it. Let's face it, how many black dresses does one woman need??

The reason so many wear it, IMO is that it's a basic wardrobe builder and you don't have to think about it too much. Most things go with black. You can do the same thing with several other colours such as navy or a rich brown or even white. What I did was change my mindset. Now my basic is red and I just work around that.

I also have the requisite LBD in cocktail and floor-lengths. But I'm done with black and refuse to buy any more of it. Let's face it, how many black dresses does one woman need??

The reason so many wear it, IMO is that it's a basic wardrobe builder and you don't have to think about it too much. Most things go with black. You can do the same thing with several other colours such as navy or a rich brown or even white. What I did was change my mindset. Now my basic is red and I just work around that.

I agree. My absolute bottom-line basic is my long black chiffon open jacket. It can work over any color top, and the color shows through. So, whenever I buy a new dressy top, it has to work with that jacket. It gives me a lot of options for tops to add color.

What's your opinion of a little black dress (although on me it definitely wouldn't be "little") with a colorful silky blouse used as a jacket? Or even a black skirt and tank with the blouse as a jacket? I admit I do stick to black because it's easy. My husband prefers me in color. So I do try to wear color sometimes. But I always revert back to the black. Sigh.

What's your opinion of a little black dress (although on me it definitely wouldn't be "little") with a colorful silky blouse used as a jacket? Or even a black skirt and tank with the blouse as a jacket? I admit I do stick to black because it's easy. My husband prefers me in color. So I do try to wear color sometimes. But I always revert back to the black. Sigh.

My personal opinion is it's fine as long as the blouse hangs like a jacket and has enough structure to not flop all over the place. For a dressier look I prefer a straightcut hem, not the rounded "tails" look.

My personal opinion is it's fine as long as the blouse hangs like a jacket and has enough structure to not flop all over the place. For a dressier look I prefer a straightcut hem, not the rounded "tails" look.

Agree on the straight cut hem. That is a nice look IMHO, but rounded tails need to be tucked in unless you are going for a casual look. A fitted blouse with slacks as a business casual look is the exception.