Vacation Protection

AmandaEnzo

Do you think it's worth it? I have two kids, ages 4 and 2. Does your regular insurance cover them or would you recommend the vacation protection?

Doesn't matter if ours does. Does yours?

Most insurance wont cover you. You probably need insurance

Edited by SeaUs

You can get better coverage for less money through www.insuremytrip.com.

We never purchase our trip insurance through the cruiselines...

This is true. We met a couple who slashed their hand on the corner of the buffet window. It required a trip to the infirmary and stitches. They were handed a bill for $175. The couple explained that they have Carnival protection vacation, and the infirmary did not care. They told them to submit a claim when they got home. IMHO, if one gets the companies insurance it's like getting insurance for a fox to guard the hen house. We use TravelGuard - silver plan every time.

Most US health insurance does not cover you outside of the country (and that would include on the ship). Even healthy people have accidents. I consider travel insurance just part of the cost of a cruise. Buy it and I hope you will never have to use it.

Most US health insurance does not cover you outside of the country (and that would include on the ship). Even healthy people have accidents. I consider travel insurance just part of the cost of a cruise. Buy it and I hope you will never have to use it.

This is not necessarily true (we worked in the Health Insurance industry for over 30 years). Many US private policies do offer various levels of coverage for international travel...but one should carefully review their own policy and also follow-up with a call to your insurance company's customer service folks for verification. Many larger insurers such as the "Blues" actually have recommended lists of foreign providers. One caution is that in many cases you would have to pay the foreign medical bills and then later seek reimbursement.

One important fact is Medicare (and Medicaid) which do not cover any out-of-country medical services (unless you are within 6 hours cruising time of a US port). Folks with Medicare should always have additional medical insurance for out of country travel. There are some decent annual Travel Medical policies which will cover every trip within a 12 month period (usually limited to no more then 60-70 days per trip). Those annual policies can have very reasonable cost (often about $350 per year for a couple) and are a bargain when compared to insuring each individual trip.

Hank

P.S. I should caution that annual Travel Medical policies are for medical emergencies and do not cover the cost of trip cancellation

This is not necessarily true (we worked in the Health Insurance industry for over 30 years). Many US private policies do offer various levels of coverage for international travel...but one should carefully review their own policy and also follow-up with a call to your insurance company's customer service folks for verification. Many larger insurers such as the "Blues" actually have recommended lists of foreign providers. One caution is that in many cases you would have to pay the foreign medical bills and then later seek reimbursement.

One important fact is Medicare (and Medicaid) which do not cover any out-of-country medical services (unless you are within 6 hours cruising time of a US port). Folks with Medicare should always have additional medical insurance for out of country travel. There are some decent annual Travel Medical policies which will cover every trip within a 12 month period (usually limited to no more then 60-70 days per trip). Those annual policies can have very reasonable cost (often about $350 per year for a couple) and are a bargain when compared to insuring each individual trip.

Hank

P.S. I should caution that annual Travel Medical policies are for medical emergencies and do not cover the cost of trip cancellation

Dear Hank,

Which company is it that will insure you for all cruises within a year? Do they cover pre-existing conditions? Also what is their policy on getting you home (air flight cost)?

Lastly will it cover non medical situations such as a death or severe illness of a loved one at home?

Thanks,

Irwin (aka Rodan)

Dear Hank,

Which company is it that will insure you for all cruises within a year? Do they cover pre-existing conditions? Also what is their policy on getting you home (air flight cost)?

Lastly will it cover non medical situations such as a death or severe illness of a loved one at home?

Thanks,

Irwin (aka Rodan)

It is currently a bit complicated so here is the scoop. Up until a few months ago we got this insurance via HTH. But recently, the policy has been changed over to GeoBlue (part of Blue Cross/Blue Shield) at the same price with similar benefits. We think its an improvement because you can take advantage of the Blue's large network of international providers. And yes, it does cover both pre-existing conditions and Trip Evacuation. GeoBlue's website (with all the details) is at:mhttps://geobluetravelinsurance.com/

Now I want to reiterate that this is a travel medical policy and not a trip cancellation policy. Folks should not confuse this type of policy with a typical Trip Cancellation/Medical policy which also covers the lost cost of a trip. As to what GeoBlue does as far as getting you back home I am not sure what the policy covers when it comes to non-emergency travel back to home..so you will have to read the policy of give them a call.

What I do love about this policy is that we only pay $349 a year (total cost to cover DW and myself) and it multiple trips throughout the year as long as the trip is not longer then 70 days. It also provides up to $250,000 in medical coverage and even more medical evacuation coverage. I think I previously mentioned that American Express also offers a similar travel policy to their card holders....although it used to be limited to only 60 day trips (not sure of their current policy rules).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner