Captain's Club Revamp- Stinks for me!

Tenderpaw

We were on the Constellation TransAtlantic when we found out about the change. Having just attained Elite, we're still Elite and not impacted by the changes. But I do have a question. The Captain's Club desk on Connie told us where we stand with total points to date. But, using the chart for points per day, I can't get to the number they gave me based on my own records. Before I call Celebrity, is there some other place I should be looking for the details on the conversions, i.e. any bonuses they may have included for grandfathered members.

We were on the Constellation TransAtlantic when we found out about the change. Having just attained Elite, we're still Elite and not impacted by the changes. But I do have a question. The Captain's Club desk on Connie told us where we stand with total points to date. But, using the chart for points per day, I can't get to the number they gave me based on my own records. Before I call Celebrity, is there some other place I should be looking for the details on the conversions, i.e. any bonuses they may have included for grandfathered members.

One tier credit (old points) was worth a flat conversion of 30 new points no matter how the tier credits were earned.

Additionally, people who had 7, 8 or 9 tier credits, received 30, 25, 16 bonus points respectively.:D

Sorry if I'm late to the party on this, but i just found out about the revamp to the point system for the Captain's Club on board the Reflection last week. Don't know how i missed seeing about it here.

Anyway, it pretty much stinks for me. I would have been one cruise (2 points with CC or 1 long cruise) away from Elite after finishing this cruise. Now I'm at least 3 cruises away assuming i book CC for all of them! The fact that i booked this last cruise under the old system and i get the points under the new system stinks more!

I know, I know. They can change it at any time. It's their right, blah, blah, blah. But it still stinks! And their press release about how great these changes are is almost laughable. It wasn't changed to make the program better. It was changed to have fewer Elites!

Rant over! I did have a good cruise otherwise.

Dave

I quite agree, I am also one of those who have been disadvantaged by these changes. Celebrity unwittingly has turned a loyalty program into an alienation program for many of us but don't expect any sympathy from the 3 or 4 posters who feel obliged to rush to the defence of the corporate decision....albeit they have not been affected. These same people have monopolized the other thread on this subject and try to belittle other peoples concerns. I am now communicating directly with Celebrity which you may care to do as well.

I quite agree, I am also one of those who have been disadvantaged by these changes. Celebrity unwittingly has turned a loyalty program into an alienation program for many of us but don't expect any sympathy from the 3 or 4 posters who feel obliged to rush to the defence of the corporate decision....albeit they have not been affected. These same people have monopolized the other thread on this subject and try to belittle other peoples concerns. I am now communicating directly with Celebrity which you may care to do as well.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.:D

As expected one of the defenders of the "Holy Grail" as founded it necessary to respond....38 out of 174 posts on this thread alone, it really gets a bit tiring.:D

If you are referring to me then you are mistaken.

I am one of the ones that booked and paid for cruises and then left with no options to either cancel, upgrade or rebook for the bonus points. I sincerely wish you luck.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

As expected one of the defenders of the "Holy Grail" as founded it necessary to respond....38 out of 174 posts on this thread alone, it really gets a bit tiring.:D

You could at least get the count right as MicCanberra only had 32 posts at the 174 mark. His total below includes the three he did after post 174.:D

IMO his posts have been well balance and not as a X defender but must agree he does post often.:rolleyes:

Maybe it was NLH Arizona you were thinking of but she has had only 29 post in this whole thread.

attachment.php?attachmentid=297278&d=1388704257

MicPosts.jpg.4f0b71380734da2b5a7d3e7effa810f2.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

You could at least get the count right as MicCanberra only had 32 posts at the 174 mark. His total below includes the three he did after post 174.:D

IMO his posts have been well balance and not as a X defender but must agree he does post often.:rolleyes:

Maybe it was NLH Arizona you were thinking of but she has had only 29 post in this whole thread.

Here's #30. Just as it is a bit tiring to see what he calls defenders posts, I guess the same could be said for the complaining posts.

BTW, I wasn't going to respond to the original post complaining about defenders, because I feel everyone is entitled to post their thoughts and opinions, but since my name was brought into it, I felt I had to.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I didn't even know about this feature. Thanks for posting it. It caused me to figured out how to look up this information. Thanks for teaching this old dog a new trick (Jan 2nd and already I've met my "learn new things" quota for the year :().

Oh, and the number of posts on this tread by 'boogs' and just increased by 12.5% with this post (or 4.864864846486% of the total thread count), for those of you who are counting. :p

Edited by boogs

Thank you for pointing out the error in my math and for my error I apologise. However of the 184 posts in this thread 66 or over 1/3rd have come from 2 posters attempting to extoll the virtues of the new plan. The point remains, that the new plan "stinks" for some of us and no amount of verbiage from the cheerleaders is going to change that.

Thank you for pointing out the error in my math and for my error I apologise. However of the 184 posts in this thread 66 or over 1/3rd have come from 2 posters attempting to extoll the virtues of the new plan. The point remains, that the new plan "stinks" for some of us and no amount of verbiage from the cheerleaders is going to change that.

Thanks I think.:D

Thank you! I was treated the same way and frankly, shocked that it is allowed to continue.

Edited by 20pluscruises

One tier credit (old points) was worth a flat conversion of 30 new points no matter how the tier credits were earned.

Additionally, people who had 7, 8 or 9 tier credits, received 30, 25, 16 bonus points respectively.:D

Thanks ... I'll go back to the drawing board now and see if I can match things up.

The transfer happened as at 23 November 2013 so if a cruise finished on or after that date, then the new point system would be in effect.:D

Actually it was if your cruise started on or after that date you got the new points. Our Century 15 night cruise started on Nov.21st and we got the old credits which were converted at the 30X rate to the new points even though our cruise didn't end until Dec.6th. The old credits were given to us while we were on this cruise, not after as is the norm. The information sheet we were given on board on Nov.25th had only our prior to this cruise credits converted to new points but when I checked our Capt's Club accounts online announcement day, the point for the cruise we were currently on had already been added. ;)

This is why some who sailed on or after the conversion date, Nov. 23rd, but before the official announcement of the start of new program on Nov.25th felt they got shafted and I agree this happened.:eek:

Edited by robtulipe

Actually it was if your cruise started on or after that date you got the new points. Our Century 15 night cruise started on Nov.21st and we got the old credits which were converted at the 30X rate to the new points even though our cruise didn't end until Dec.6th. The old credits were given to us while we were on this cruise, not after as is the norm. The information sheet we were given on board on Nov.25th had only our prior to this cruise credits converted to new points but when I checked our Capt's Club accounts online announcement day, the point for the cruise we were currently on had already been added. ;)

This is why some who sailed on or after the conversion date, Nov. 23rd, but before the official announcement of the start of new program on Nov.25th felt they got shafted and I agree this happened.:eek:

Yes, this group were stuck having new points but old perks, it worked out better for some but not for others. Sorry, I had made a mistake with when the conversions happened.:D

I didn't even know about this feature. Thanks for posting it. It caused me to figured out how to look up this information. Thanks for teaching this old dog a new trick (Jan 2nd and already I've met my "learn new things" quota for the year :().

Oh, and the number of posts on this tread by 'boogs' and just increased by 12.5% with this post (or 4.864864846486% of the total thread count), for those of you who are counting. :p

Yes, I should have added to see who has posted and how many posts they have in a thread one needs only to right click on the replies number of that thread. ;)

Ours were originally converted at the new rate even though our cruise ended on November 25. I contacted them and they have since readjusted so those points were converted using the old system x 30.

Unfortunately we lost over 100 points after they reviewed. They said we were given points in error and said they had us on a cruise where they reviewed the manifest and we were not on the cruise. I never saw that before and they wouldn't tell me which cruise. We also thought we got extra points last year because of a promotion they were having and they said they were also given to us in error. The Captains Club said there have been numerous mistakes when the conversion took place and they are reviewing.

No skin in the game- ha!

I’ve read most of the posts on this and the other Captains’ Club forum. My initial reaction was that some of these folks just do not understand why many are so ticked off with the changes. Then, I realized some posters, led by a handful who cannot stop regurgitating the same nonsense, are unhappy with the old program because of apparent overcrowding at the on board CC events. They either have reached or are close enough to the freebee level and do not want to share when others attain that tier. So it is onto the soapbox shouting their support of Celebrity for the changes; instead of asking the cruise line to fulfill their commitments by providing adequate facilities, i.e., additional venues or whatever, for the rewards they promised their loyal customers.

You can argue the legality or ethics of what Celebrity did, defend them to the hills or bring in superfluous issues; but how many times are you going to repeat the same arguments ad nauseam? Whether it is legal or not is missing the point because it is not an issue of legal magnitude. The forum is a way of protesting the actions of a company for those who feel wronged in addition to their complaining directly or even getting the support of organizations such as the BBB. Companies are in business to make money and they need customers to achieve that end. When their actions upset the customers, we protest and if more do so, the better the possibility of a positive response. If we remain mute, or support them to further our self-interests, they do whatever they want and it spreads to the rest of the industry. Then we wind up with the short end of the stick. Of course, we could stay quiet and eventually reach our limit to stop buying the product which could result in the company going under. In that scenario, everyone loses as happened to Renaissance Lines several years ago as well as other companies.

Most companies want dissatisfied customers to come to them with a complaint rather than broadcast publicly. You can be certain that Celebrity and other lines scrutinize these forums closely. The more negative reaction a company receives, the greater the chance of their making changes or offering redress to those affected, regardless of whom is right or wrong. Obviously, if the complaints are limited, the company reacts accordingly with no action warranted. However, posters repeating the same things accomplish nothing constructive. In the end, it is about the whether the bottom line, perceived or otherwise, will be affected.

Celebrity initiated the program, which they have an obligation to administer fairly. The fact is it is now harder to achieve reward levels. While no one is questioning Celeb’s right to make the changes, the underhanded way it was done is the issue and leaves a bad taste with the majority. My feelings are for those who were paid in full, expecting to make the next tier, whatever their reason for booking, and were left without recourse due to the timing of the changes as well as lack of reasonable advance notice. A business which does that and expects loyalty is making a big mistake. The program was their idea to increase sales and profits. They should have foreseen the costs and potential problems and we should not be penalized for their poor judgment.

Those posters who don’t want to share the rewards with fellow cruisers should quit crying in the extra beer they feel they’ll miss and stop arguing other irrelevant items like ports or cabin changes, etc. For that handful monopolizing these threads, as nicely pointed out in posts 176 & 186 by Putterdude, have a ball with your future thumbs down comments to this and other posts which go against your personal interests in the program. However, please give the rest of us a break by posting new thoughts and leaving room on these boards for others opinions to be more visible.

no skin in the game- ha!

I’ve read most of the posts on this and the other captains’ club forum. My initial reaction was that some of these folks just do not understand why many are so ticked off with the changes. Then, i realized some posters, led by a handful who cannot stop regurgitating the same nonsense, are unhappy with the old program because of apparent overcrowding at the on board cc events. They either have reached or are close enough to the freebee level and do not want to share when others attain that tier. So it is onto the soapbox shouting their support of celebrity for the changes; instead of asking the cruise line to fulfill their commitments by providing adequate facilities, i.e., additional venues or whatever, for the rewards they promised their loyal customers.

You can argue the legality or ethics of what celebrity did, defend them to the hills or bring in superfluous issues; but how many times are you going to repeat the same arguments ad nauseam? Whether it is legal or not is missing the point because it is not an issue of legal magnitude. The forum is a way of protesting the actions of a company for those who feel wronged in addition to their complaining directly or even getting the support of organizations such as the bbb. Companies are in business to make money and they need customers to achieve that end. When their actions upset the customers, we protest and if more do so, the better the possibility of a positive response. If we remain mute, or support them to further our self-interests, they do whatever they want and it spreads to the rest of the industry. Then we wind up with the short end of the stick. Of course, we could stay quiet and eventually reach our limit to stop buying the product which could result in the company going under. In that scenario, everyone loses as happened to renaissance lines several years ago as well as other companies.

Most companies want dissatisfied customers to come to them with a complaint rather than broadcast publicly. You can be certain that celebrity and other lines scrutinize these forums closely. The more negative reaction a company receives, the greater the chance of their making changes or offering redress to those affected, regardless of whom is right or wrong. Obviously, if the complaints are limited, the company reacts accordingly with no action warranted. However, posters repeating the same things accomplish nothing constructive. In the end, it is about the whether the bottom line, perceived or otherwise, will be affected.

Celebrity initiated the program, which they have an obligation to administer fairly. The fact is it is now harder to achieve reward levels. While no one is questioning celeb’s right to make the changes, the underhanded way it was done is the issue and leaves a bad taste with the majority. My feelings are for those who were paid in full, expecting to make the next tier, whatever their reason for booking, and were left without recourse due to the timing of the changes as well as lack of reasonable advance notice. A business which does that and expects loyalty is making a big mistake. The program was their idea to increase sales and profits. They should have foreseen the costs and potential problems and we should not be penalized for their poor judgment.

Those posters who don’t want to share the rewards with fellow cruisers should quit crying in the extra beer they feel they’ll miss and stop arguing other irrelevant items like ports or cabin changes, etc. For that handful monopolizing these threads, as nicely pointed out in posts 176 & 186 by putterdude, have a ball with your future thumbs down comments to this and other posts which go against your personal interests in the program. However, please give the rest of us a break by posting new thoughts and leaving room on these boards for others opinions to be more visible.

bravo!

No skin in the game- ha!

I’ve read most of the posts on this and the other Captains’ Club forum. My initial reaction was that some of these folks just do not understand why many are so ticked off with the changes. Then, I realized some posters, led by a handful who cannot stop regurgitating the same nonsense, are unhappy with the old program because of apparent overcrowding at the on board CC events. They either have reached or are close enough to the freebee level and do not want to share when others attain that tier. So it is onto the soapbox shouting their support of Celebrity for the changes; instead of asking the cruise line to fulfill their commitments by providing adequate facilities, i.e., additional venues or whatever, for the rewards they promised their loyal customers.

You can argue the legality or ethics of what Celebrity did, defend them to the hills or bring in superfluous issues; but how many times are you going to repeat the same arguments ad nauseam? Whether it is legal or not is missing the point because it is not an issue of legal magnitude. The forum is a way of protesting the actions of a company for those who feel wronged in addition to their complaining directly or even getting the support of organizations such as the BBB. Companies are in business to make money and they need customers to achieve that end. When their actions upset the customers, we protest and if more do so, the better the possibility of a positive response. If we remain mute, or support them to further our self-interests, they do whatever they want and it spreads to the rest of the industry. Then we wind up with the short end of the stick. Of course, we could stay quiet and eventually reach our limit to stop buying the product which could result in the company going under. In that scenario, everyone loses as happened to Renaissance Lines several years ago as well as other companies.

Most companies want dissatisfied customers to come to them with a complaint rather than broadcast publicly. You can be certain that Celebrity and other lines scrutinize these forums closely. The more negative reaction a company receives, the greater the chance of their making changes or offering redress to those affected, regardless of whom is right or wrong. Obviously, if the complaints are limited, the company reacts accordingly with no action warranted. However, posters repeating the same things accomplish nothing constructive. In the end, it is about the whether the bottom line, perceived or otherwise, will be affected.

Celebrity initiated the program, which they have an obligation to administer fairly. The fact is it is now harder to achieve reward levels. While no one is questioning Celeb’s right to make the changes, the underhanded way it was done is the issue and leaves a bad taste with the majority. My feelings are for those who were paid in full, expecting to make the next tier, whatever their reason for booking, and were left without recourse due to the timing of the changes as well as lack of reasonable advance notice. A business which does that and expects loyalty is making a big mistake. The program was their idea to increase sales and profits. They should have foreseen the costs and potential problems and we should not be penalized for their poor judgment.

Those posters who don’t want to share the rewards with fellow cruisers should quit crying in the extra beer they feel they’ll miss and stop arguing other irrelevant items like ports or cabin changes, etc. For that handful monopolizing these threads, as nicely pointed out in posts 176 & 186 by Putterdude, have a ball with your future thumbs down comments to this and other posts which go against your personal interests in the program. However, please give the rest of us a break by posting new thoughts and leaving room on these boards for others opinions to be more visible.

A good post and I agree. :D

People should read the thread topic and then the reader can decide how the Captains club revamp affected them poorly. If it didn't, then there is no need to post, if it did they can post that or how the situation may have been remedied, etc. But instead some come on this thread and belittle people's arguments.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

No skin in the game- ha!

You hit the nail on the head. Thank you for saying it so well.