PG @ $29. Tamarind @ $20. Canaletto same

Thebes

I am baffled by the angst with regard to the new menu at Canaletto. Every fine Italian restaurant I have dined in offers several courses each with individual pricing. I would never order both a pasta and then a Main or Entree unless I was sharing. Whether they suggest sharing or not. It is way too much food. I can remember dining at Carnevino in Vegas and having the server look down his nose at me because I did not want to order one of each course on the menu. I am paying the bill an I will order what I please...but no, unless it is a tasting menu it is doubtful that they will make you a smaller portion of your pasta or main course. There is no need to wring your hands with worry over wasting food. Order what you like or don't like. I don't feel the need to partake in every course in the MDR why would Canaletto be any different. Simply passing on the restaurant because of portion size is odd to me as in 17 years of cruising I have many times seen indecisive folks order multiple courses in the MDR or left half eaten plates of food in the Lido. If you don't care for the menu then don't dine there. If the restaurant is such a failure then HAL will discontinue it. Clearly that is not the case as it remains and continues to evolve and do the menus in the PG and MDR. I appreciate the opportunity to enjoy both the familiar as well as the opportunity to try something new.

I love the opportunity to learn about people's personal experiences on HAL and to get tips on making my absolute favorite way to travel even better but I do find it frustrating to see so much time spent lamenting over what has not yet been experienced.

The new menu was first rolled out on the Oosterdam in August. It has not been rolled out to every ship in the fleet yet. No way to know if this will be successful or not. I think several people have said they would not dine there.

I am baffled by the angst with regard to the new menu at Canaletto. Every fine Italian restaurant I have dined in offers several courses each with individual pricing. I would never order both a pasta and then a Main or Entree unless I was sharing. Whether they suggest sharing or not. It is way too much food. I can remember dining at Carnevino in Vegas and having the server look down his nose at me because I did not want to order one of each course on the menu. I am paying the bill an I will order what I please...but no, unless it is a tasting menu it is doubtful that they will make you a smaller portion of your pasta or main course. There is no need to wring your hands with worry over wasting food. Order what you like or don't like. I don't feel the need to partake in every course in the MDR why would Canaletto be any different. Simply passing on the restaurant because of portion size is odd to me as in 17 years of cruising I have many times seen indecisive folks order multiple courses in the MDR or left half eaten plates of food in the Lido. If you don't care for the menu then don't dine there. If the restaurant is such a failure then HAL will discontinue it. Clearly that is not the case as it remains and continues to evolve and do the menus in the PG and MDR. I appreciate the opportunity to enjoy both the familiar as well as the opportunity to try something new.

I love the opportunity to learn about people's personal experiences on HAL and to get tips on making my absolute favorite way to travel even better but I do find it frustrating to see so much time spent lamenting over what has not yet been experienced.

The bolding is mine. There are people posting here that have experienced it and have reported. The reports did not appear favourable IMO.

The bolding is mine. There are people posting here that have experienced it and have reported. The reports did not appear favourable IMO.

Hmm...OK. I guess I missed that. I feel like I read the six pages of folks viewing the menu and then getting up in arms over the format. It sounds like many had formed opinions about the old menu but said that if the new menu was for "sharing" then count them out....they had not yet eaten there as even Cruz Chic mentioned it may not have rolled out to all ships yet. Since it began in August then surely by now most if not all should be utilizing the new menu. I for one would love to hear about a PERSONAL experience in Canaletto where the person actually dined there.

Hmm...OK. I guess I missed that. I feel like I read the six pages of folks viewing the menu and then getting up in arms over the format. It sounds like many had formed opinions about the old menu but said that if the new menu was for "sharing" then count them out....they had not yet eaten there as even Cruz Chic mentioned it may not have rolled out to all ships yet. Since it began in August then surely by now most if not all should be utilizing the new menu. I for one would love to hear about a PERSONAL experience in Canaletto where the person actually dined there.

Oops..I meant SIXTEEN pages.

There were no changes at all to the lunch menu when they switched over the dinner menus during our recent 25 day cruise. :D

Thanks, Trish...lunch in the PG is my favorite. We prefer it over dinner there...too much food at night for me. And, I prefer the PG Lunch menu...the onion soup followed by the blue cheese encrusted filet, scalloped potatoes and asparagus. Yum.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. It was kind of odd that you picked an old conversation to join in with, but each to their own. I think you got a bit of a skewed view of the opinions expressed, however. And we do move on with our "angst".:D