PG @ $29. Tamarind @ $20. Canaletto same

Thebes

We recently cruised for 21 days on the Noordam. We dined at the Pinnacle Grill five times and had wonderful service (except for two slow water refills).

I'm not sure I understand your question. There was 3 of us dining there that night and none of us was happy. I am not high maintenance. I make that statement after hearing what people expect as good service on this board. The pinnacle offered to comp us another meal so clearly they agreed the service was bad. This was in February so it's very likely the same servers were not there on your cruise. As a comparison I was on the NA in February 2012. Service was awesome everywhere I went. I returned in November of 2012 and I couldn't believe it was the sane ship. I would say 80 percent of the crew was miserable and it showed.

Only beverages have an automatic tip added on HAL.

On our recent Christmas cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam, there was one thing with a 15 percent auto tip added that shocked us:

During wine tasting, the Cellar Master promoted buying $10 raffle tickets for a chance to win a bottle of Dom champagne plus 3 other bottles of wine from the Navigator's package. The wine servers sold the $10 chances, which got you 5 raffle tickets. Many attendees of the wine tasting bought the tickets, and one of the participants drew a winner. (She was quite happy!)

The surprise when we got out bill at the end of the cruise -- the $10 raffle was charged at $11.50 on our bill.

Since when is there a service charge of 15% on a raffle?

It was a little thing but very annoying.

During wine tasting, the Cellar Master promoted buying $10 raffle tickets for a chance to win a bottle of Dom champagne plus 3 other bottles of wine from the Navigator's package. The wine servers sold the $10 chances, which got you 5 raffle tickets. Many attendees of the wine tasting bought the tickets...

The surprise when we got out bill at the end of the cruise -- the $10 raffle was charged at $11.50 on our bill.

That sounds like an error to me. Did anyone bring it to the attention of the Front Desk or to the Cellar Master?

On our recent Christmas cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam, there was one thing with a 15 percent auto tip added that shocked us:

During wine tasting, the Cellar Master promoted buying $10 raffle tickets for a chance to win a bottle of Dom champagne plus 3 other bottles of wine from the Navigator's package. The wine servers sold the $10 chances, which got you 5 raffle tickets. Many attendees of the wine tasting bought the tickets, and one of the participants drew a winner. (She was quite happy!)

That sounds like an error to me. Did anyone bring it to the attention of the Front Desk or to the Cellar Master?

Sounds to me like it was automatically applied 15% for all sales from the beverage department. It should not have had the s/c IMO but likely no one thought about it.... they simply saw beverage department slip put through and added the service charge.

Edited by sail7seas

Do my eyes deceive, but does the now revamped Pinnacle menu take the old "sides" and now call them "sharable sides." So not only do they want you to have "family style" sharing stuff in Canoletto, but they seem to be encouraging sharing in the Pinnacle. The funny thing is that the only Pinnacle side that is not "sharable" is the baked potato! What makes me laugh is that the last time we dined at Gibson's (a well known high-end Chicago Steak House) the waitress encouraged us to "share" a baked potato. They then brought us a potato that must have weighed over 3 pounds and could have fed 4.

Hank

Sounds to me like it was automatically applied 15% for all sales from the beverage department. It should not have had the s/c IMO but likely no one thought about it.... they simply saw beverage department slip put through and added the service charge.

Yes, we brought to the attention of the front desk who called the Cellar Master or Beverage Manager because they thought it needed clarification. Whoever they called insisted it was correct because the wine staff sold it.

As it was the last night and $1.50 we dropped it, but needless to say we will never buy a wine raffle again. :mad:

While the Cellar Master seemed like a nice guy there was a major push for revenue every where you turned -- every thing was a sales pitch.

It was a turn off and we avoided further wine tasting events. Usually we attend them all!

Yes, we brought to the attention of the front desk who called the Cellar Master or Beverage Manager because they thought it needed clarification. Whoever they called insisted it was correct because the wine staff sold it.

As it was the last night and $1.50 we dropped it, but needless to say we will never buy a wine raffle again. :mad:

While the Cellar Master seemed like a nice guy there was a major push for revenue every where you turned -- every thing was a sales pitch.

It was a turn off and we avoided further wine tasting events. Usually we attend them all!

The mistake of being charged a service charge where not appropriate is forgiveable. The representation the error had been corrected but had not is less forgiveable. None of us like misrepresentations even if accidental.

Edited by sail7seas

That doesn't seem right at all. I can understand someone making the mistake and adding it, but once you brought it to their attention it should have been removed immediately. Service charges simply cannot be added to raffle tickets, it's plain wrong.:(

We have gone to wine tastings and so far never had a raffle of any type.

But I do agree -- no way should you have been charged a service charge for just buying a raffle ticket.

Just out of curiosity with the new menu in the PG and the additional cost for example $20. for the crab legs, will 3* or 4* Mariners receive 25% or 50% of the prices of these additional costing items?

No one knows yet - hopefully someone reports.

I would like to think yes - but I don't count any chicken before it hatches.

Just out of curiosity with the new menu in the PG and the additional cost for example $20. for the crab legs, will 3* or 4* Mariners receive 25% or 50% of the prices of these additional costing items?

Good question.

I agree with Kazu..... We'll have to wait and see.

That's a very interesting point, and hopefully we won't have to wait too long the answer. DH loves crabs legs - but we only pay $1 each at our favourite restaurant. 5 is usually plenty for him, so real cheap dinner.:D

So I read somewhere here that the idea of sharing food in the Canaletto has come swiftly to some appetizers at the PG. Is this true ? And why the sharing cancer is spreading so rampant ?

Despite what I read on here many people do enjoy sharing their food with the families and friends. I've been doing this for as long as I can remember and so have most of my friends. We've been known to do this with entrees as well if we both liked the sounds of several items. This is how you get more variety without eating a lot of food. We have always ordered multiple aps and even entrees on cruises for this reason.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

So I read somewhere here that the idea of sharing food in the Canaletto has come swiftly to some appetizers at the PG. Is this true ? And why the sharing cancer is spreading so rampant ?

I guess Hal wants to waste a lot of food. Some people are ok with that. I don't like that. If Hal sees that a lot of food is being wasted I'm sure that will end. I see a lot of people on this thread and others putting people down because they do not like this concept. I just don't understand why people have to bully others. I get enough of it in my normal life. If you like it great. Others don't like the sound of the menu. Why does that bother people so much?

I guess Hal wants to waste a lot of food. Some people are ok with that. I don't like that. If Hal sees that a lot of food is being wasted I'm sure that will end. I see a lot of people on this thread and others putting people down because they do not like this concept. I just don't understand why people have to bully others. I get enough of it in my normal life. If you like it great. Others don't like the sound of the menu. Why does that bother people so much?

I don't like the concept either, and seemingly nor do many others. Unfortunately there are those on CC who cannot accept an opinion other than their own. But at least they are happy with this change. I see it as HAL trying yet another new idea, and it may or may not last.

I don't like the concept either, and seemingly nor do many others. Unfortunately there are those on CC who cannot accept an opinion other than their own. But at least they are happy with this change. I see it as HAL trying yet another new idea, and it may or may not last.

Funny it seems the other way around to me. Seems I'm being attacked left and right for disagreeing with the old timers here. No one has been attacked for not wanting to share. Maybe you should try accepting the fact that others may like it. No one said you have to enjoy it or participate, but that doesn't warrant a need for change since you are not their only customers. They are trying appeal to a newer market and for some reason that seems to upset many of you.

Funny it seems the other way around to me. Seems I'm being attacked left and right for disagreeing with the old timers here. No one has been attacked for not wanting to share. Maybe you should try accepting the fact that others may like it. No one said you have to enjoy it or participate, but that doesn't warrant a need for change since you are not their only customers. They are trying appeal to a newer market and for some reason that seems to upset many of you.

Oh boy - who is attacking who? Again, I don't like it. End of. I don't a monkeys who likes it, it's their choice.

Oh boy - who is attacking who? Again, I don't like it. End of. I don't a monkeys who likes it, it's their choice.

Exactly, it's that simple. Apparently if you don't you are old and not willing to change, but that's a compliment right:D:rolleyes:? To anyone that thinks it's great, have at it. Just don't make nasty and rude remarks to people that don't and pretend that you are not. A mirror might be helpful at times.

I don't like the new sharing concept because my husband and I enjoy different foods. Of course I am upset because one of our favourite dining venues is no longer an option. I may be an old timer now but even when I was younger I preferred to be in control of what good I ordered. It has nothing to do with age.

I really don't think it will last because numbers will be down and HAL won't like that.

Remember the "new coke" fiasco. Maybe you're too young but when Coke changed it's recipe in the 70's they backtracked quickly because nobody embraced the change. Customers vote with their feet.

I don't like the new sharing concept because my husband and I enjoy different foods. Of course I am upset because one of our favourite dining venues is no longer an option. I may be an old timer now but even when I was younger I preferred to be in control of what good I ordered. It has nothing to do with age.

I really don't think it will last because numbers will be down and HAL won't like that.

Remember the "new coke" fiasco. Maybe you're too young but when Coke changed it's recipe in the 70's they backtracked quickly because nobody embraced the change. Customers vote with their feet.

Oh all those coke drinkers were probably just old and don't like change.