PG @ $29. Tamarind @ $20. Canaletto same

Thebes

[quote name='sail7seas'][B] You may not be aware they very recently changed the Canaletto menu. Their service style has been reconfigured and maybe it will interest you.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Having tried the new Canaletto menu in August on the Oosterdam in August I can say it is not an improvement. The old menu was better. It is not welcoming to solo cruisers with the plate sharing. For the most part I can't tolerate pasta so it's very limited.

[B]I spoke with someone this week who dined in Canaletto with two other people so there were three at the table.

Apparently, everything has to be shared so if one wanted one kind of pasta, it was a portion for two though they asked for only a single portion. Apparently the lemoncello dessert was served as a massive bowl rather than the parfait sort of portion previously served. It sounds very awkward eating there even as a party of three or more.

It seems they put 'community plates' on the table with tongs for each to serve themselves. I picture a mess on the table cloth and who knows what on those shared tongs.

Maybe a little more thought needs to go into the way the food is served and the seeming wastefulness of overly large portions for a single serving?[/B] Edited by sail7seas

[quote name='Thebes']Does anyone , maybe KK can post the new Canaletto's menu ?[/quote]

[B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]I have both the new Canaletto Menu & Wine List saved as 'Favorites' on my 'puter! :) I am unsure how to upload them to this forum! :confused: Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. ;)[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]I spoke with someone this week who dined in Canaletto with two other people so there were three at the table.

Apparently, everything has to be shared so if one wanted one kind of pasta, it was a portion for two though they asked for only a single portion. Apparently the lemoncello dessert was served as a massive bowl rather than the parfait sort of portion previously served. It sounds very awkward eating there even as a party of three or more.

It seems they put 'community plates' on the table with tongs for each to serve themselves. I picture a mess on the table cloth and who knows what on those shared tongs.

Maybe a little more thought needs to go into the way the food is served and the seeming wastefulness of overly large portions for a single serving?[/B][/QUOTE]

That's part of the problem. The portions are way too big for one person and I wouldn't call myself a small eater :D.

[quote name='GeriatricNurse'][B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]I have both the new Canaletto Menu & Wine List saved as 'Favorites' on my 'puter! :) I am unsure how to upload them to this forum! :confused: Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. ;)[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/QUOTE]

Try to R click copy the menu then paste in the reply field.

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]I spoke with someone this week who dined in Canaletto with two other people so there were three at the table.[/B]

[B]Apparently, everything has to be shared so if one wanted one kind of pasta, it was a portion for two though they asked for only a single portion. Apparently the lemoncello dessert was served as a massive bowl rather than the parfait sort of portion previously served. It sounds very awkward eating there even as a party of three or more. [/B]

[B]It seems they put 'community plates' on the table with tongs for each to serve themselves. I picture a mess on the table cloth and who knows what on those shared tongs. [/B]

[B]Maybe a little more thought needs to go into the way the food is served and the seeming wastefulness of overly large portions for a single serving?[/B][/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]Sounds awful.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]I don't care if it all family members -- people do get sloppy with when trying to use tongs and pass dishes around the table.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='startwin'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I've always quite like Canaletto, but under this new "shares" idea I won't be going there. And certainly wouldn't pay for the privilege.;)[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

I'm with you on that one. We won't be going there either.

So, if I understand this correctly - if you have 4 (or even 2) at a table, you have to eat the same thing? That's a huge disappointment for me.

I really enjoyed it on the Prinsendam but I am not a pasta eater so needless to say what I ordered was totally different than the others.

I didn't mind sharing the candy floss, but limoncello?

hmmm - I guess I will have to check it out in a few months - but it doesn't sound enthralling and I don't think I will be pre booking this one;)

[quote name='kazu']So, if I understand this correctly - if you have 4 (or even 2) at a table, you have to eat the same thing? That's a huge disappointment for me.

I really enjoyed it on the Prinsendam but I am not a pasta eater so needless to say what I ordered was totally different than the others.

hmmm - I guess I will have to check it out in a few months - but it doesn't sound enthralling and I don't think I will be pre booking this one;)[/QUOTE]

Yes, you need to share because the portions are large. I'm not a fan of this type of eating. I would never go to a restaurant here with such a silly theme so it doesn't do anything for me. I realize this will likely appeal to some folks that enjoy eating the same meal. It will be interesting to see if this idea is going to last. Personally I hope it changes.

[quote name='kazu']So, if I understand this correctly - if you have 4 (or even 2) at a table, you have to eat the same thing? That's a huge disappointment for me.

hmmm - I guess I will have to check it out in a few months - but it doesn't sound enthralling and I don't think I will be pre booking this one;)[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking according to the menu and what it says on top that every 2 will share 2 small plates, 1 pasta plate and 1 big plate ( it could be chicken ). Not everything has to be pasta I guess. So for 4 people they can definitely have a different set up ( 2 for each )

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]I spoke with someone this week who dined in Canaletto with two other people so there were three at the table.

Maybe a little more thought needs to go into the way the food is served and the seeming wastefulness of overly large portions for a single serving?[/B][/QUOTE]

I'll bet that as we speak, there's a PowerPoint presentation on the shelf in Seattle regarding the cost savings of extending "community plating" to the MDR. Just wait. All they need is the right spin, the right label -- like, "It's Picnic Night!"

[quote name='Tarpeian Rock']I'll bet that as we speak, there's a PowerPoint presentation on the shelf in Seattle regarding the cost savings of extending "community plating" to the MDR. Just wait. All they need is the right spin, the right label -- like, "It's Picnic Night!"[/QUOTE]

Love your posts! You are too funny!

I thought it looked great. Just because it's different doesn't mean it won't be good. The menu top suggests you order the mentioned numbers for 2 people. It isn't mandatory you order that amount. Doesn't anyone else go to a tapas place where you have many small tasting plates to share? I'm fine with it.

[quote name='alwaysfrantic']I thought it looked great. Just because it's different doesn't mean it won't be good. The menu top suggests you order the mentioned numbers for 2 people. It isn't mandatory you order that amount. Doesn't anyone else go to a tapas place where you have many small tasting plates to share? I'm fine with it.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried it? It's difficult because the portions are large. Different is fine but just because it's different it doesn't mean it's good. The food is not as good as the last menu. Trust me, I've tried it so I can talk about it. I'm not a person that like to waste food. I do realize that is not a concern for some folks.

I thought it looked great. Just because it's different doesn't mean it won't be good. The menu top suggests you order the mentioned numbers for 2 people. It isn't mandatory you order that amount. Doesn't anyone else go to a tapas place where you have many small tasting plates to share? I'm fine with it.

The person I spoke with said they tried to have a single portion and was told they HAD to order for two. No one at the table wanted the same dish so the guest kept requesting a single portion. What they got was a huge portion.... that is a total turn off for some of us. If someone puts a huge plate of food in front of me, I immediately lose my appetite. I am no small, petite little thing but I can't stand to be served very large portions.

LOVE tapas in Spain - that's a horse of a different colour IMO ;)

The person I spoke with said they tried to have a single portion and was told they HAD to order for two. No one at the table wanted the same dish so the guest kept requesting a single portion. What they got was a huge portion.... that is a total turn off for some of us. If someone puts a huge plate of food in front of me, I immediately lose my appetite. I am no small, petite little thing but I can't stand to be served very large portions.

That is the problem. I know people think they can do this or that. Reality is another matter.