PG @ $29. Tamarind @ $20. Canaletto same

Thebes

Maybe the Canadian mafia is rubbing off on you:D;). I just turned 53 so I'm a baby in Hal standards:p. I realize you are likely decades younger than that.

Just turned 42 on jan 1

I belong to the NW mafia :)

I have noticed that many here are Canadians. I thought Holland America is Dutch ;)

I don't like the new sharing concept because my husband and I enjoy different foods. Of course I am upset because one of our favourite dining venues is no longer an option. I may be an old timer now but even when I was younger I preferred to be in control of what good I ordered. It has nothing to do with age.

I really don't think it will last because numbers will be down and HAL won't like that.

Remember the "new coke" fiasco. Maybe you're too young but when Coke changed it's recipe in the 70's they backtracked quickly because nobody embraced the change. Customers vote with their feet.

I vividly recall the New Coke disaster! I think it was in '85. I also remember the "caffeine dangers" in the early '80s. We pregnant women had to try to find RC Cola because it was the only one without caffeine. They didn't know WHAT would happen to our babies if we drank caffeine. Of course, years later the research showed that it was not dangerous!!!

At any rate, we ate in the PG last month on the Nieuw Amsterdam and were very underwhelmed at the service -- for the first time. We love the PG but would never go again, based on that service. Nothing bad in particular, just no special touch and kinda ho-hum.

On the other hand, we ate at Tamarind on one night and immediately booked a second night for the food and the amazing service. We tried Canaletto once on another ship and didn't care for the menu or the experience -- definitely not for an upcharge.

We really like the MDR -- you get to know your server and usually have nice people at the table to chat with.

I vividly recall the New Coke disaster! I think it was in '85. I also remember the "caffeine dangers" in the early '80s. We pregnant women had to try to find RC Cola because it was the only one without caffeine. They didn't know WHAT would happen to our babies if we drank caffeine. Of course, years later the research showed that it was not dangerous!!!

At any rate, we ate in the PG last month on the Nieuw Amsterdam and were very underwhelmed at the service -- for the first time. We love the PG but would never go again, based on that service. Nothing bad in particular, just no special touch and kinda ho-hum.

On the other hand, we ate at Tamarind on one night and immediately booked a second night for the food and the amazing service. We tried Canaletto once on another ship and didn't care for the menu or the experience -- definitely not for an upcharge.

We really like the MDR -- you get to know your server and usually have nice people at the table to chat with.

It could well have been in 1985. When you get to be an old timer all the years seem to run together. :D

Well the horror could come if one of you sharemates has Noro.

Have never gone to the Lido and have never had noro.

On a ship, you're in an environment where people have flown in on a very unsanitary environment. I'd rather not take that chance.

Well the horror could come if one of you sharemates has Noro.

Have never gone to the Lido and have never had noro.

On a ship, you're in an environment where people have flown in on a very unsanitary environment. I'd rather not take that chance.

^^ YES, that.

I've seen too many people with nasty habits to be happy to have shared dishes. Many of us have noticed fellow guests leaving restrooms without washing; putting fingers in their mouths and then touching food or service forks/spoons/tongs........

Not particularly appetizing to my taste.

Sharing food . . .

The horror . . . the horror.

Yet another angst-laden thread . . . about menus - in restaurants filled with people on vacation.

Some folks would just be glad to have something to eat at night . . . and not be shot at.

I'm concerned about the cleanliness of some people. I see how dirty some folks are. I'm not sure why contrary opinions need to be squashed. Could you please explain that to me? If you enjoy that it's fine. Must everyone share your opinion or be told they s/b grateful they are not being shot at?

I'm concerned about the cleanliness of some people. I see how dirty some folks are. I'm not sure why contrary opinions need to be squashed. Could you please explain that to me? If you enjoy that it's fine. Must everyone share your opinion or be told they s/b grateful they are not being shot at?

This is pretty funny!

. . . especially after reading some of the prior posts on this thread.

Me to self: Should I bother pointing out the fact that there is no requirement to share food?

Self to me: No way!

Actually, that is not accurate.

HAL has announced a change in both the Canaletto menu and method of service. All dishes will be shared. There will be no individual ordering of a portion for one person.

For the 'small plates', tongs will be on the plate for all at the table to take a portion. If two people are dining, that means both have to eat the same thing. If I am with DH and he wants one appetizer but I want another, we will have to compromise and one will 'settle' or we they order both there will be ridiculous waste as we cannot eat portions for four or more people which is what would be served.

The pasta course is same situation. It must be shared. I spoke with someone who has already dined under the new menu and service system and they literally pleaded with the steward to have the pasta he wanted served as a single portion. The answer was Sorry, it is all served with enough to be shared. The portion brought was huge..... and wasted.

Same for dessert. A ridiculous amount of dessert was served, it's a total turn off to many of us and that party never returned to a restaurant they used to enjoy dining in a number of times per cruise.

Few people I know find amusement and humor at jokes about wasting food or particularly about being shot at. In the current atmosphere of shooting tragedies and loss of life in war, I cannot find a laugh out of comments regarding being shot at. I'm sure you meant no harm but it's painful to read such comments, IMO

Edited by sail7seas

HAL has announced a change in both the Canaletto menu and method of service. All dishes will be shared. There will be no individual ordering of a portion for one person.

I have to wonder how that's going to work for a solo. Is every single person going to be served a double portion of everything?

Sounds like a dumb practice to me. Or will they charge me double, as I'll be getting twice as much food??? :rolleyes:

I have to wonder how that's going to work for a solo. Is every single person going to be served a double portion of everything?

Sounds like a dumb practice to me. Or will they charge me double, as I'll be getting twice as much food??? :rolleyes:

You left out the 3rd alternative - they might make you join people at another table so you can all share :p:rolleyes:

If enough pax end up not liking the share presentation they will stop going to Canaletto. If each pax orders food they like but no one wants to share a dish with them there will be a lot of waste. In both cases HAL will be losing money and they will discontinue the new menu. It's success or failure is HAL's problem to solve, not mine,and will just take time to work out. If I wanted to go to Canaletto I would go, order what I want to eat, and let HAL worry about the rest. I don't understand all the angst.

No, RuthC, they are certainly not going to charge you double. In the case of a solo diner I would think the portions would be smaller. If not and there is wasted food, again it's HAL's problem, not yours.

Actually, that is not accurate.

For the 'small plates', tongs will be on the plate for all at the table to take a portion. If two people are dining, that means both have to eat the same thing. If I am with DH and he wants one appetizer but I want another, we will have to compromise and one will 'settle' or we they order both there will be ridiculous waste as we cannot eat portions for four or more people which is what would be served.

The pasta course is same situation. It must be shared. I spoke with someone who has already dined under the new menu and service system and they literally pleaded with the steward to have the pasta he wanted served as a single portion. The answer was Sorry, it is all served with enough to be shared. The portion brought was huge..... and wasted.

Same for dessert. A ridiculous amount of dessert was served, it's a total turn off to many of us and that party never returned to a restaurant they used to enjoy dining in a number of times per cruise.

Few people I know find amusement and humor at jokes about wasting food or particularly about being shot at. In the current atmosphere of shooting tragedies and loss of life in war, I cannot find a laugh out of comments regarding being shot at. I'm sure you meant no harm but it's painful to read such comments, IMO

If that is accurate, then the policy has been changed since the December 6 sailing of Maasdam.

I just looked at the HAL website and Canaletto does have the "Spartire" or sharing copy as part of the write-up.

You can believe me or not - at our two dinners in Canaletto we shared nothing but the wine we brought.

There has been much discussion here about the NEW Caneletto menu and method of service. You may wish to do some reading here to 'catch up' to the changes.

You dined under the old system that many of us experiencd.

There is a new way of doing things now. We have been trying to make that clear.

There has been much discussion here about the NEW Caneletto menu and method of service. You may wish to do some reading here to 'catch up' to the changes.

You dined under the old system that many of us experiencd.

There is a new way of doing things now. We have been trying to make that clear.

So - just when was this new menu announced?

So - just when was this new menu announced?

About a month or so back if I recall? I haven't been in the HAL section that long but it was announced after I started posting here in November.

I do understand others concern about wasting food. Because I have had weight issues and lost 105 pounds years ago it isn't as sensitive of a subject with me. I have come to accept that I will waste food if I dine under American service size standards if I want to maintain my healthy weight. I'm okay with only eating half of my meal because I paid for the whole thing regardless of what I did or didn't eat. I learned that families that taught their children "eat everything on your plate" were far often heavier than those that were not and so I now choose to not eat everything on purpose.

There has been lengthy conversation about it including in this thread.

You can find all the information here on the HAL/CC forum.

No - I expect the experts here to tell me when this "new" menu went into effect. I have related my personal experience on a cruise less than a month ago and I'm merely trying to find out if the menu has changed in the last three weeks.

If the menu hasn't changed, then you people are merely talking rumor and innuendo.

. . . which although greatly entertaining, is pretty much useless.

The new menu everyone is discussing can be seen on this web site.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-onboard/Dining.action

click on Canaletto and the new Spartire menu, now in use will display.

I stand corrected - that's not the menu we had on Maasdam or NA.

My apologies to those I offended.

. . . I'd still go there with my wife and have, I believe, a good small plate meal. I would like to try the Veal Picatta as well.

. . . it would also be nice to take my own wine - but that's another story.

New Canaletto Menu:

Canaletto Menu -- $10 per person - can only be booked once on the ship.

“Spartire” is the Italian word for sharing. It is a concept that is part of everyday life in Italy, especially when eating with friends and family. Our menu is designed around this authentic Italian experience and offers a variety of dishes to enjoy and share. The right amount of food is always important so we suggest ordering two small plates, one pasta and one large plate for every two people at your table.

Buon Appetito!

Small Plates:

*Salumi -- prosciutto, coppa, grissini, shaved pecorino, assorted olives

Veal & Sage Polpettina -- glazed cipolin onions, rustic tomato sauce

Zuppa Di Pesce -- mussels, clams, shrimp, scallops, cod, vegetables, tomato saffron broth

Canaletto Salad -- Boston lettuce, roasted beets, gorgonzola, candied walnuts, raspberry vinaigrette

Duck & Chicken Liver Pate -- spiced duck preserve, rustic toast, kumquat marmalade

*Seared Beef Carpaccio -- rosemary aioli, shallots, sea salt, cracked pepper

Eggplant Caponata -- golden raisins, pine nuts, mint

Vermouth Braised Clams -- spicy chorizo, garlic, basil

Pasta

Pappardelle -- shrimp, artichokes, lemon-herb emulsion

Spaghetti -- Bolognese or pomodoro

Potato Gnocchi -- braised beef short rib, mascarpone, butter roasted carrots and celery

Rigatoni -- Italian sausage, Kalamata olives, spicy tomato sauce

Ricotta Ravioli -- braised leeks, oven-dried tomatoes, arugula-pine nut pesto

Large Plates

Sauteed Veal Piccata -- lemon angel hair, capers, kale crisps

Braised Chicken Cacciatore “Al Formo” -- caramelized carrots, soft parmesan polenta

Roasted Pork Loin Saltimbocca -- seared escarole, cannelini beans, Marsala glace

*Grilled Lemon-Thyme White Sea Bass -- roasted fingerling potatoes, shaved fennel, orange-olive salad.

*The US Food and Drug Administration advises that eating uncooked or partially cooked meat, seafood, shellfish, milk, poultry and/or eggs may increase your risk for food borne illness if you have certain medical conditions.

Dolci

Trio of Tiramisu -- espresso, lemon and amaretto

Limoncello Crème -- Tuscan lemon liqueur

Torta Cacao -- walnut praline, vanilla bean gelato

Gelato -- strawberry, vanilla bean, pistachio, giandula

Selection of Italian Cheeses

The Canaletto is pleased to offer authentic Italian wines and varietals, each telling a story of it’s special region of Italy. In addition we offer a selection of beer including an Italian favorite Peroni, mixed drinks, sofa and water. Please speak with your beverage staff to enhance your dining experience.

Cocktails -- $6.25

Americano -- campari, sweet vermouth, soda water

Bicicietta -- campari, white wine, soda water

Bellini -- prosecco, peach puree

Frangelico Tuscan Mule -- frangelico, ginger ale

God Father -- amaretto, scotch

God Mother -- amaretto, vodka

Negron -- campari, sweet vermouth, gin

Rossini -- prosecco, strawberry puree

Aperol Spitzer -- aperol, prosecco

Wines Glass Carafe Bottle

5 oz. 15 oz. 25 oz.

White

Pinot Grigio, Delle Venezie $5.50 $15 $22

Pinot Grigio, Danzante $6.75 $18 $27

Moscato, Zonin $8.50 $23 $34

Rose

Salento Rose $5.50 $15 $22

Red

Primitivo Di Puglia $5.50 $15 $22

Pinot Noir, Pavia $5.50 $15 $22

Montepulciano D’Abbruzzo $5.50 $15 $22

Sanglovese, Santa

Cristina Antonori $8.50 $23 $34

Melini Chianti

Borgeri D’Elsa $8.50 $23 $34

Select Wines

Bottle

25 oz.

White

Pinot Grigio, Ruffino $44

Chardonnay, Feudi De Pisciotto $39

Red

Batasiolo Barbera D’Asti $39

Merlot Feudi Del Pisciotto ‘Valentino’ $39

Chianti Castiglioni Frescobaldi $45

Brunello Di Montalcino DOCG Antinori $74

Guado AL Tasso Bolgheri DOCG Superiore $89

Sangiovese, Brunello Di Montalcino, Castello-Banfi $114

Solaia, Antinori $329

Digestive -- $5.95

Served in a souvenir Holland America Line glass

Limoncello

Amaretto

Frangelico

Sambuca

Grappa di Alexander

Cognac

Hennessey V.S. Glass -- $7.95

Courvoisier V.S.O.P. Glass -- $7.95

Remy Martin V.S.O.P. Glass -- $10.95

Couvoisier Napoleon Glass -- $10.95

A 15% service charge will automatically be added to your beverage purchases. A corkage fee of $18 applies for wine and champagne brought to the restaurant or bars for consumption.