MITSUGIRLYS JEWEL OF A CRUISE review and pictorial

mitsugirly

Mitsugirly, I am a little confused by a statement: Sunset Grand Hilton Rose Hall off Montego Bay near the port. I thought the Sunset Jamaica Resort (from your pictures) is close to the port was an independent hotel that sold day passes. Rose Hall is much farther away from the port, as I've been there. Just trying to clear things up in my head! I want to look up this AI option for a group I'm sailing with next year. Thanks for your help.

You would probably have to give me the link or quote it on here so that I could tell you what I was referring to.

Sunset Grande is right at the port in Ocho Rios Jamaica.

Sunset Resort is right at the port in Montego Bay Jamaica.

Hilton Rose Hall is between Montego Bay and Falmouth Jamaica.

They are 3 different places and all offered by Resort For A Day for day passes. :D

What port will you be coming in to?

• 4 weeks later...
I know at Mr. Sanchos they require you to use biodegradable sunscreen. Are they really that stricked that they check your bag to make sure you don't have any non bio sunscreen?

I have never heard from any of the places to use the biodegradable sunscreen (I have only heard people mention it on here because of the eco system and coral). But no, they do not check your bags at ANY of the places we have been to.

• 1 month later...

I loved your post and you kept me laughing...I think I relate!

At any rate, I don't believe you ended your story. I am dying to know if you ever heard or saw your friends that you actually had never met except on Cruise Critic? They were suppose to meet you---do you know what happened?

Susan/slee14:rolleyes:

p.s. I am taking the NCL Sun Nov. 30th out of Tampa to Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya and Cozumel. I have been to Mr. Sanchez also and we had a good time except it started raining shortly after our arrival which is never good when you are looking forward to crystal clear water. I will probably go back though. Been to most of the other beaches next to this one.

I loved your post and you kept me laughing...I think I relate!

At any rate, I don't believe you ended your story. I am dying to know if you ever heard or saw your friends that you actually had never met except on Cruise Critic? They were suppose to meet you---do you know what happened?

Susan/slee14:rolleyes:

p.s. I am taking the NCL Sun Nov. 30th out of Tampa to Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya and Cozumel. I have been to Mr. Sanchez also and we had a good time except it started raining shortly after our arrival which is never good when you are looking forward to crystal clear water. I will probably go back though. Been to most of the other beaches next to this one.

Glad you loved the review and I kept you laughing. My (our) lives are full of non-stop laugher that's for sure. :p

No, we never did find our friends or hear from them that day. When we returned from our cruise, we were told that they only got off the ship at the port for a moment and then went back. (Too much drinking the port before :confused: and too much money spent in ports before :confused:). So, we were basically stood up of course. I guess I learned my lesson that day. I will NEVER book a place based on someone else's decision. Although eventually I would have tried out Mr Sanchos, it wasn't exactly my first choice for this cruise and would have rather went to Paradise this time around. But, you live and you learn. But it's ok. We still talk, just not like before. We will probably never be on a cruise again at the same time. We do have a cruise coming up in their hometown and they want to do dinner pre-cruise. But, after this cruise and my Getaway cruise (with the issues I had with waiting for my daughter), there will be no waiting on anyone anymore. :p :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great Reviews! My question for you is which is the Best, Economical Hotel you have been to in NOLA. Which would you highly recommend. We have been to the Drury which was exceptional. Is there one that is within walking distance of the Port? I would love one that had a Shuttle Service from the Airport since we will be arriving a day early.

We will also have to pick up some water & soda to bring on board.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I just got done reading this entire thread and wow, this is an AWESOME review of a ship I am getting ready to sail on in two weeks. Thank you so much for taking the time to do it. I am a NCL newbie and am looking very forward to sailing this ship on what is going to be my second trip to Alaska. I love your humor and storytelling through pictures and I believe this review has helped me to get better prepared for what to expect. I am sailing in a balcony cabin as well, so this helped allow me to see what cruising on with a balcony is like. Again, thanks and I will be posting a nice lengthy review with some pics when I get back from this trip, FlyingCruiserNJ style.

• 3 weeks later...

Love your review. I am planning on sailing the Jewel to Alaska this summer and even though things have changed a bit it was nice to see pictures and read some great opinions.

I am all about pictures too and if a review doesn't have them I don't even bother reading them for the most part. I like trip reports with details and visuals....and thats how I write them as well.

Thanks so much for a great report!

• 3 weeks later...

Whew, finally got through that review. Thank you so much for all of the information and pictures! I probably spent about 4 hours reading through this, but it was very useful and fun to see what I have in store when we take our cruise. This is our first cruise ever and we are splurging so doing a suite- do you know if suites get any perks like latitudes members?

Also, assuming the mini fridge you pay for anything in there? So worth telling them to make sure the fridge is empty? What would you suggest packing as far as clothing? I don't know how many "fancy" items to bring. I normally don't dress up much, but might be nice to do it a few times. And is any alcohol included if you don't have a plan?

Thanks again!

Whew, finally got through that review. Thank you so much for all of the information and pictures! I probably spent about 4 hours reading through this, but it was very useful and fun to see what I have in store when we take our cruise. This is our first cruise ever and we are splurging so doing a suite- do you know if suites get any perks like latitudes members?

Also, assuming the mini fridge you pay for anything in there? So worth telling them to make sure the fridge is empty? What would you suggest packing as far as clothing? I don't know how many "fancy" items to bring. I normally don't dress up much, but might be nice to do it a few times. And is any alcohol included if you don't have a plan?

Thanks again!

If you do a search here there is a thread call suite perks. One perk is that you are not charged the room service fees. Another is snacks daily brought to your room.

Let me start by saying I apologize for not getting back to anyone but for some reason I have not received any notifications on replies to this thread since the last time I posted. CC can be a little testy sometimes and I notice this every once in awhile. While I was combing the NCL boards I seen my review for this on the first page and went to go see what the post was and noticed all these post that I had no idea were here. So sorry. :(

Great Reviews! My question for you is which is the Best, Economical Hotel you have been to in NOLA. Which would you highly recommend. We have been to the Drury which was exceptional. Is there one that is within walking distance of the Port? I would love one that had a Shuttle Service from the Airport since we will be arriving a day early.

We will also have to pick up some water & soda to bring on board.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

There is another hotel that is on the block down from Drury called the Blake (in this review). It's pretty nice and we enjoyed it there. They have a restaurant right on the premises so it made it nice to grab a bite to eat before heading out the morning of the cruise (although not free like the Drury). Since it's in the same location/area of the Drury, it's basically right down the street from the grocery store and super easy to walk to in order to pick up items for the cruise.

The other place we stayed at was more in the Warehouse district and I believe it's located in my Star review in my signature line. Maybe it was Springhill?? I would have to go back and look. But since it's in the Warehouse district (which is closer to the cruise port) it's further away from the (same) grocery store. We did walk there with no problems, but it's just further than the other two.

People do say that it's a little "harder" to walk to this port due to traffic and the route you have to go but there were plenty of threads with the way to do it.

I just got done reading this entire thread and wow, this is an AWESOME review of a ship I am getting ready to sail on in two weeks. Thank you so much for taking the time to do it. I am a NCL newbie and am looking very forward to sailing this ship on what is going to be my second trip to Alaska. I love your humor and storytelling through pictures and I believe this review has helped me to get better prepared for what to expect. I am sailing in a balcony cabin as well, so this helped allow me to see what cruising on with a balcony is like. Again, thanks and I will be posting a nice lengthy review with some pics when I get back from this trip, FlyingCruiserNJ style.

I really hope you had an awesome cruise to Alaska. That's one place I haven't been yet but hoping to still go some day. :)

Love your review. I am planning on sailing the Jewel to Alaska this summer and even though things have changed a bit it was nice to see pictures and read some great opinions.

I am all about pictures too and if a review doesn't have them I don't even bother reading them for the most part. I like trip reports with details and visuals....and thats how I write them as well.

Thanks so much for a great report!

I'm the same way. I'm a visual person...whether it be pictures of a place or a map. I need to "see" it. :D

Thanks for the comments. I really appreciate it.

Thanks for your pics of Mr. Sanchos. My group is going to try the AI side on our cruise in December.

Can you tell me one thing though does the main pool on the AI side have steps to get into the water?? Thanks

Yes, there are steps going down into the pool on both sides (AI and PAYG). Also, since we were there last, they have added an additional pool to the AI as well. :D

As you can see in the background of this picture...these are the steps:

PC200368-L.jpg

Thanks again!

You are very welcome.

I honestly do not know anything about the suites. We normally stay in the interiors with a few exceptions of a regular balcony or cove balcony here and there. We did stay in a mini suite on the Getaway, but even though it's

"named" a suite, it's not considered a "suite" in the same sense as others.

Yes, anything they have in the mini fridge you pay for. There will be a list in the room with the pricing if you are interested. If you want to use the fridge and have everything removed, you can ask your room steward to remove them or you can. I have been on cruises where they take the stuff away and other times they just leave it there in the room and you just push it aside.

How much you want to dress up (or even how dressy you get) is entirely up to you and your style vacation. I personally usually take 1 pair of dress pants and 2 dressy tops and 1 pair of the flowing dress shorts (that almost look like a dress) with me. I really don't care to dress up too often and I definitely don't go all out...I'm on vacation...but that's just me. With NCL, it's freestyle, so you can dress up...as much as people in formal gowns and tux, to nothing at all. It's entirely up to you. :)

No alcohol included in the cruise unless you purchase it each time or get the UBP.

• 2 months later...

Once again, you have helped.. Thank You.. but I do have a question..

Am I reading this correctly that if my husband and I choose the AI package but my parents do not want the AI package we do not sit together ????

Thanks

Once again, you have helped.. Thank You.. but I do have a question..

Am I reading this correctly that if my husband and I choose the AI package but my parents do not want the AI package we do not sit together ????

Thanks

Hi and glad I could help.

Are you referring to Mr Sanchos (I assume)? If so, yes this is correct. If you pick the AI package and the parents pick the non-AI then you will not be sitting together. There are 2 separate sides there. :)

Hi and glad I could help.

Are you referring to Mr Sanchos (I assume)? If so, yes this is correct. If you pick the AI package and the parents pick the non-AI then you will not be sitting together. There are 2 separate sides there. :)

OK well we know that's not going to happen -- so I guess we'll go non AI.. I'm guessing that if I read thru all these pages, there is a menu here ??? lol

Can you roughly tell me how to do this... should I book in advance, wait until we get there or what ? Definitely want the pool with lounge chairs/unbrellas etc... What do you suggest we do? There are 4 of us... How much is this going to cost us? Thanks again