"Salute to the chef?

uglybutgoodbakery

Obviously, you are not done with this thread. LOL :D:rolleyes::eek:

In Murano they serve a lobster Murano, and I'm sure they have something similar in Normandie. It's cooked tableside, so you get to eat it piping hot. :rolleyes:

You caught me. :)

I will say that I loved the cruise, the whole 2 weeks were amazing. 10 islands, one nicer than the next.....and I got to spend time with my family and loving life.

Also, I got some beautiful jewelry at rock bottom prices, served room temperature.

People respond to threads because it is a public message board.

When you mentioned if you don't agree with something you just pass

up the thread.....not everyone chooses that route.

Sorry you had such bad time. I do agree with the folks who say

if the food is cold it needs to be sent back. How are they going to

know if it is wrong if it is not brought to their attention? You mentioned

owning a café....I am guessing if something wasn't served to your

customer's liking, it would be in the best interest of everyone to let

the manager and/or chef/cook know about the issues.

As for eating fried chicken and cornbread, I eat both of those items

with my hands so whatever ambiance is around? In my opinion, they

don't go under the "gourmet ambiance"....oh I absolutely LOVE both

items.:D

As for the Baked Alaska Parade? They have been doing it for years now.

The wait staff, kitchen staff and Management of the food/beverage

dept all get recognized.

Again, sorry you felt it was all ridiculous and hopefully you will find

a line you enjoy in the future.

Nope, never saw a Baked Alaska parade on Princess.

The most elegant restaurant I've ever eaten at is called Starfish Company Restaurant in Cortez, Florida (outside Sarasota.) They serve fresh fish, on a dock, in plastic baskets on picnic tables. Elegance is subjective.

I've had plenty of experience with bad customers, where do you think I learned to be one?

As for the Baked Alaska Parade? They have been doing it for years now.

The wait staff, kitchen staff and Management of the food/beverage

dept all get recognized.

When I first started cruising, the Baked Alaska parade was actually en flambe - now that was a sight! Now, with LED lights . . . not so much.

By the way, I also thank crew members I see cleaning the public bathrooms or vacuuming the stairs - they so often get overlooked, and never get individual tips like stewards or waiters do. All of them seemed very pleased to have their hard work recognized.

The most elegant restaurant I've ever eaten at is called Starfish Company Restaurant in Cortez, Florida (outside Sarasota.) They serve fresh fish, on a dock, in plastic baskets on picnic tables. Elegance is subjective.

I've had plenty of experience with bad customers, where do you think I learned to be one?

I wasn't talking about Princess. My post was referring to Celebrity.

And you are correct, Elegance is subjective.....but speaking with a

Manager/owner/chef about a bad meal is not......sorry you didn't

enjoy your food or dining experience but since you are an owner of

a café I am quite surprised you didn't send your food back.

If something is not how you like it? I have sent things back on land

and on the seas plenty of times over the years and I never called you

a bad customer.

Edited by Lois R

Although you find it hard to believe, it was my first Celebrity cruise. And no, I have not seen it before. why would I post it if I did?

And why can't I bring money into it? It's my thread, my post, my cruise, and my money!

My apologies. I thought that you had been on X before. But that's about it.

Last time on Princess for me was about 5 years ago. If my memory is correct, Princess ended the Baked Alaska Parade after a small fire.I believe that a passenger's hair got burned (no joke). Prior to that the parade was a traditional part of a Princess cruise.

This is a parade of the assistant waiters around the darkened dining room carrying Baked Alaska accompanied by cheers from the passengers.

In the traditional dining room, it will be at dessert time. In the anytime dining room, since people will be at different points in their meal, it could come at anytime while you are eating.

100_2882_zps86575ea0.jpg

Baked Alaska parade' date=' Canaletto dining room, late traditional dining room, last night of the cruise, 1/1/13:

[img']http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n184/pattie54/Golden%20Princess%202012%20to%202013/Sea%20Days%20Dec%2028%20to%20Jan%201/SANY0683_zps9fb82c7f.jpg[/img]

SANY0688_zps9e9e33a3.jpg

SANY0689_zps5e9ce89c.jpg

This is a parade of the assistant waiters around the darkened dining room carrying Baked Alaska accompanied by cheers from the passengers.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...laska+pictures

Here is a thread discussing the parade on Princess.

As I said before, you must eat in Anytime dining because it's ALWAYS happened on the last formal night in Traditional dining on the 26 Princess cruises we've sailed on.

Edited by chamima

Last time on Princess for me was about 5 years ago. If my memory is correct, Princess ended the Baked Alaska Parade after a small fire.I believe that a passenger's hair got burned (no joke). Prior to that the parade was a traditional part of a Princess cruise.

They've just replaced the real candles with the battery operated ones.

They've just replaced the real candles with the battery operated ones.

Makes sense that they would do that. I know it was discontinued for a period of time. Wasn't on Ruby Princess and Emerald Princess when I cruised on them.

Makes sense that they would do that. I know it was discontinued for a period of time. Wasn't on Ruby Princess and Emerald Princess when I cruised on them.

Were you in Anytime dining?

As I said before, because of people coming and going at different times I don't think they do it in there, just in Traditional.

You can't control what happens to you! You can control the way you react.

As I said before, because of people coming and going at different times I don't think they do it in there, just in Traditional.

I was always in Traditional on Princess. It was a number of years ago so my memory might not be totally accurate, but I believe it is.

Ok...I got curious about this tradition and came up with this from:

http://www.frommers.com/articles/6640.html

Cruise veterans, how many times have you had this experience: You're at dinner, and it's approaching dessert time. Suddenly the lights go down, the music comes up, and a phalanx of waiters starts dancing around the room, trays of flaming desserts in one hand, twirling napkins in the other.

Oh yes, it's the Baked Alaska Parade, and its origins are as mysterious as its staying power.

Variations on the dish itself go back to the early 19th century, though the form we know today -- a mix of ice cream and sponge cake, topped with meringue and then heated or flambéed -- may have gotten its start (and its name) at the New York restaurant Delmonico's in 1867, coinciding with the U.S. acquisition of Alaska from Russia. When it made the jump from land to sea is a matter of some dispute. In his classic The Only Way to Cross, John Maxtone-Graham describes a dinner on the maiden voyage of Hamburg-America Line's 1905 Amerika in which "the lights were dimmed and from the kitchen came squads of waiters bearing overhead a sizzling combination of fire and ice." While well-received that night, Amerika's big dessert didn't catch on in the wider cruise world until the late 1950s or early 1960s, when basic, un-evolved versions of the Baked Alaska Parade began appearing on ships. The parade didn't achieve its final, perfected form until 1987, when singer David Johansen (aka Buster Poindexter) released what would become its vital if unofficial soundtrack, the dance tune "Hot Hot Hot."

So there you have it...

BTW, this site has some other interesting stories about cruising.....

History of Baked Alaska and the parade

I was on the Solstice this past May, ate in Select dining and they DEFINITELY had the parade on the last formal night in the Select area.

I was on the Solstice this past May, ate in Select dining and they DEFINITELY had the parade on the last formal night in the Select area.

I was talking about Princess.

(Note the term "Anytime" , not "Select")

I will say that I loved the cruise, the whole 2 weeks were amazing. 10 islands, one nicer than the next.....and I got to spend time with my family and loving life.

Also, I got some beautiful jewelry at rock bottom prices, served room temperature.

Well I'm glad to see you had a wonderful cruise with your family as that is what vacations are all about and nice to also see your sense of humor showing. Good luck with your lobster you are having today at home, there is nothing like a fresh one cooked the way you like it. Hope you decide to try Celebrity again someday.:)

I never eat shipboard baked Alaska (hate it), but the parade has occurred on every one of the 20 Celebrity and Princess cruises I've been on. My wife whoops and waves a napkin while I sit quietly and think nice thoughts about the staff of the restaurants.

Well I'm glad to see you had a wonderful cruise with your family as that is what vacations are all about and nice to also see your sense of humor showing. Good luck with your lobster you are having today at home, there is nothing like a fresh one cooked the way you like it. Hope you decide to try Celebrity again someday.:)

We already booked the same two weeks for next year!

We already booked the same two weeks for next year!

You can always book a speciality restaurant on the last formal night. That way you can avoid the parade that led to your cold meal disaster on a cruise that cost you...How much was it again?

I'd give some consideration to the OP if the facts were not blatantly exaggerated.

So dark couldn't see someone across the table? The lighting comes from the ceiling for the whole MDR, select dining is CLOSER to the lighting. And wasn't there a 'candle' on your table, like many fine dining establishments have in low lighting? Wasn't the tablecloth white to brighten the low lighting levels? wasn't the plate white for the same reason? Perhaps OP has vision problems, and if that is the case, of course this wouldn't apply.

I sit in assigned seating lower level, and can easily see across the table with the LED colored overhead light flashing overhead and thru the whole thing.

Ice cold food, really, ice had formed? I doubt it had even come down to room temperature.

Lasted 15 minutes, the ones I've been part of were less than 10 minutes.

And Even on my 1st cruise, I knew there was some sort of parade in the MDR, knowing its a tradition. People with me were upset it didn't include the baked Alaska Presentation as many lines do. I like keeping traditions alive. Honestly now that I've been part of it, i'm over it, but would never ask the line to stop this tradition so that all newbies can be part. But now I know if it will bother me, I will dine elsewhere on the final formal night.

Not every part of a cruise is going to meet every single person's idea of a great cruise. They have to appeal to many people.

At least OP knows this is the case on X, so hopefully can find another line that doesn't do this awful presentation so they can enjoy the 'lobster' next time. I don't want anyone who is dissatisfied with X's traditions on my sailings. Find another line and be happy. Some new passenger will make up for your departure.