New Freestyle cups - yay, or nay?

Well some people like beverage cups.........Besides how much of our every day stuff is not cheap Chinese junk?

I personally think carrying around a soda cup is silly. Soda especially diet soda is treacherous on your health. Carrying that cup around sipping soda all day is just patently unhealthy. Drink a couple of glasses of water every morning when you wake up, you'll feel better.

I enjoy the Premium beverage package...and a good argument can be made that this is treacherous to good health also........To each his own.

The new soda cups seem too small to me.

Don't look at me, I don't drink it the stuff, I bought the package for my kids on the last few cruises.

I wouldn't be caught dead carrying one of those cups around with me..

Good post, in my mind these are what I would have called the old and new. My new one is the same style as the one on the right, but the design insert looks a little different. With regard to the old, I got this design on Allure in 2011 and thought it sealed really well when knocked over. There was a similar design before that (maybe 2010 and earlier) that didn't seal as well on the top. To me this new design doesn't seal as well at the very top where you open for drinking but it seals well at the gasket, but its easy to cross thread. Ive stood in line behind people trying to get the lid on before walking away.

Thank you. I remembered I had an 'old' and 'new' in the cupboard so thought it was a good comparison.

The cup with the black lid was obtained from Allure in November 2012 and the new design was obtained on Allure in August 2013. The first cup did have several different designs, my mum got a red pattern, I preferred the blue.

No, I agree, the hole on the top of the new one is not a very good design in my opinion but the lid seal is much better... once you can get it on!!

Jo :)

Get as defensive as you want, but you chose to put a hot liquid in a cup that specifically states cold drinks only.

Yep, and I'll continue to play baseball without a hard hat, walk on slippery surfaces in my sneakers, and (gasp!) use my toaster in the same vicinity of my kitchen sink. None of those present any real risk to my life, contrary to what I'm sure are CYA warning stickers or silly legalese for all the above scenarios will suggest is otherwise.

It's stories like the McDonalds hot coffee lawsuit that have made these overly stupid and off the wall warnings necessary in the first place. If RCI didn't put that warning on the cup some dolt would fill it with scalding hot water from one of the dispensers onboard, and if it tipped over during a heave of the ship and dripped on them and caused a superficial burn - lawsuit time!

There are millions of ridiculous, silly, laughable, and patently absurd warning labels on many objects. 99.9% of the worlds population have survived without ever having needed (or heeded) any of them, yet that 0.01% that Darwin preys on (or who go lawyer happy) have caused the rest of us to have to endure them.

Again, if I'm such an idiot for putting coffee in a cup labeled "cold drinks only", please explain to me how I was at risk for imminent harm?

You may want to run the term "stupid warning labels" through Google Image Search for a few good laughs.

Yep, and I'll continue to play baseball without a hard hat, walk on slippery surfaces in my sneakers, and (gasp!) use my toaster in the same vicinity of my kitchen sink. None of those present any real risk to my life, contrary to what I'm sure are CYA warning stickers or silly legalese for all the above scenarios will suggest is otherwise.

It's stories like the McDonalds hot coffee lawsuit that have made these overly stupid and off the wall warnings necessary in the first place. If RCI didn't put that warning on the cup some dolt would fill it with scalding hot water from one of the dispensers onboard, and if it tipped over during a heave of the ship and dripped on them and caused a superficial burn - lawsuit time!

There are millions of ridiculous, silly, laughable, and patently absurd warning labels on many objects. 99.9% of the worlds population have survived without ever having needed (or heeded) any of them, yet that 0.01% that Darwin preys on (or who go lawyer happy) have caused the rest of us to have to endure them.

Again, if I'm such an idiot for putting coffee in a cup labeled "cold drinks only", please explain to me how I was at risk for imminent harm?

You may want to run the term "stupid warning labels" through Google Image Search for a few good laughs.

I'm with you philosophically but actually cold cups can contain chemicals that leach out when a hot beverage is put in them, thus the warning. BPA is a big culprit. Cups designed for hot beverages don't contain such chemicals. Of course I have no idea what RCCL uses and it may be safe, but generally it's not a good idea.

You actually use those things?

My kids didn't even use them while on the ship.

I have about 10 in a box out in the garage waiting to be tossed.

Basically cheap Chinese junk.

Why don't you send Ebay seller: Dars_Deals your address so he can pick them up at the curb and sell the for $14 a pop. :D:p:)

RCI Cups on Ebay

I'm with you philosophically but actually cold cups can contain chemicals that leach out when a hot beverage is put in them, thus the warning. BPA is a big culprit. Cups designed for hot beverages don't contain such chemicals. Of course I have no idea what RCCL uses and it may be safe, but generally it's not a good idea.

Ok, I'll accept that as a valid reasoning, although I think BPA has all but been eliminated when it comes to cooking/drinking cups. I definitely won't be using them *regularly* for hot beverages (as we do with our old style cups), but I wanted to test things today for the purpose of this thread.

And as for not carrying your cup about because it makes you look like a "rookie tourist"? Seriously? Sheesh. I'm always having too much fun onboard to worry about things like how my choice of drink cup makes me look to others, nor do I care. :rolleyes:

I don't care if I look like a "rookie tourist" carrying my cup of soda around with me. Astonishing as it might seem I don't dress, act or accessorize to suit other people on my vacations. I cruise/vacation to please myself, and so far it's worked perfect! :D

I don't need to walk around with a constant beverage, and it makes you look like a rookie-tourist..

If you are on a ship with the Freestyle machines, you have to use the cup to use the machines. So if you don't carry one around you may be in the minority and might look like the rookie-tourist. Just another opinion.

I don't need to walk around with a constant beverage, and it makes you look like a rookie-tourist..

Good grief, maybe someone is taking a coke to the pool or back to their room and not walking around with a "constant beverage". Sounds like you spend too much time analyzing what others appear to be doing, and making sure you don't look like a "rookie". And every single passenger on the ship is a tourist:rolleyes:

Edited by bouhunter

No what makes you an idiot is coming on here complaining about the soda cups not keeping your hot liquids hot. :rolleyes:

And if anybody has a large quantity of the old-style cups that they are looking to get rid of, I would be interested in taking them off your hands if you're willing to package and ship. :) Like I said, we use the old-style cups constantly and I know eventually they will begin to break and wear out – seeing as how they are no longer available I would like to stock up on them. ;)

Ebay seems to have everything doesn't it!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181271867726&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

I think the older cups were heavier and better made and worked for hot drinks. I still use mine.

Edited by cruzsnooze

Not sure if anyone said this but, I like the old ones, cause I could reuse them on future cruises, the first one I got on my first cruise in 2010, I used on my 2011 and 2012 cruise. But the one I had to get on Freedom this year was only good on that cruise. So I just left it in my stateroom. But brought my old cup back home with me. Guess I'll have to see if Enchantment is getting "upgraded" with the freestyle machines.

I thought RC was all for recycling. :confused:

No what makes you an idiot is coming on here complaining about the soda cups not keeping your hot liquids hot. :rolleyes:

Good grief.. If you actually bothered to read ALL my responses on the subject you'd comprehend that it was an experiment pretty much solely for the purposes of posting the results here. Neither myself, nor any animals were harmed during this scientific experiment. :rolleyes:

Sheesh...get a grip, people. There seems to be lots of people who would be the first in line to need all these warning labels, too.

Not sure if anyone said this but, I like the old ones, cause I could reuse them on future cruises, the first one I got on my first cruise in 2010, I used on my 2011 and 2012 cruise. But the one I had to get on Freedom this year was only good on that cruise. So I just left it in my stateroom. But brought my old cup back home with me. Guess I'll have to see if Enchantment is getting "upgraded" with the freestyle machines.

I thought RC was all for recycling. :confused:

You might still be able to resuse your old ones. I can't remember if I said it in this thread or another, but the cups CAN be reprogrammed. Although I suspect they'll try to just give you new cups anyways when you signup for the program, you can pull the ole ones out of your carry on and insist your old ones get reprogrammed instead - you'll probably baffle the heck out of the guys at the desk, but if you push the matter over to guest services I'm sure they'd eventually get it done.

And Enchantment *did* have the Freestyle machines - they were installed a week or so before our cruise on her in March, but I heard they had to remove some of them though as they failed the Coast Guard inspection on the cruise after ours. I'm assuming they were repositioned similar to where they are on Grandeur now and reinstalled.

Edited by Oshawapilot