I m considering a PG cruise,but have no idea

alexandra cruiser

about which one to pick.It ll be for 2015,dates flexible.

Can you give a newbie SOME idea were to start?Is it better to book afew days in Tahiti before?Should you book air on own)?we usually do,but think only 1 airline right?

Ordered a brochure already. How far in advance must you reserve?

What one did you do first? Have been on Regent 3 times and hear its similar,right?

HELP.:confused:

There are four airlines that service Tahiti. Air Tahiti Nui and Air France both have multiple flights each week. Hawaiian Air flies in from Honolulu once a week. Air New Zealand also services Tahiti once or twice a week, via Aukland.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

You could also reach out to PG and have them get a travel agent with PG experience contact you.

As for flights, the air that's included with the cruise is priced well. Reasons to book your own would be to schedule your own travel or use miles from another carrier. You can book Air France via Delta and Air Tahiti Nui via American. Comfort and cost is another factor if you intend to upgrade. Air France has the premium economy for a small increase vs. Air Tahiti Nui which has just economy and business classes, which are significantly different in price.

Keep in mind that if you book air on your own, you lose any day rooms PG schedules for you and you have to book them yourself. However, depending on when you arrive and where you stay, you may not need a day room.

You need some kind of plan, though, for the time between getting on/off the ship and travel from the airport. A friend from work spent 10 days on Bora Bora and Moorea earlier this year and he had no plan for the wait between arriving on Tahiti the last day and his flight at 11:30 pm. He and his wife loved the trip, but spent the last part waiting at the airport for several hours where he said it was hot and uncomfortable.

The reservation desk at PG cruises is very helpful and knowledgeable on the product. If you are set using a TA I would make sure you use one that is a French Polynesia expert and has been there several times, hopefully on the PG and has done so recently as things can change quickly in FP.

I have booked PG on my own and with a TA. All future bookings will be made directly though some TA's are willing to forfeit a bit of their commission by giving an on-board credit. personally I would rather book direct than be concerned about a small on-board credit, as I said, the PG reservation desk knows their product extremely well.

I've taken several of the itineraries and for the first timer to FP I would recommend you do the 10 night which includes the Society Islands and a few of the atolls.

I would recommend going a few days ahead to relax and get on a time zone that is 6 hours different than Florida. I would recommend a 2 or 3 night stay at the IC Tahiti (connected with the PG). One of the best resorts on Tahiti, has the best dinner show and an amazing view of Moorea. Some like to go over to Moorea for a few days prior to the cruise but you will have 2 stays on Moorea during the cruise. Make sure you take an inner island tour while on Tahiti, incredibly beautiful and most don't every see it. The water falls a everywhere!

Unless your going to use frequent flyer miles I would let PG cruises book your airfare. This puts the responsibility of the cruise line to get you to and from the cruise in a timely manner, you will never miss the cruise when you leave the planning to them ; )

Others will have a different take, that is the nice thing about forums. Keep in mind I give my recommendations with 18 trips under my belt to the South Pacific. Though I don't know everything I do know FP well ......... ;)

I would suggest the 10 day Tuamotus cruise as it gives you the right mix of islands and atolls. You will have to see how many times its offered in the year. I have done most itineraries - 7 day, 11 day, 16 day, 14 day and a few times on the 10 day ( my favourite).

While service is on par with Regent the food is not as there are some difficulties in getting certain products and produce to FP. You have also to remember that the PG is an older ship and the regular rooms are not suites unlike Regent. Also the specialty restaurants are not on par with Regent of Crystal. However I have been both when the ship was under Regent's aegis and in recent times when it became PG cruises and the overall product is still very good. The service is truly wonderful and most of the staff have been on since Regent days. In fact Maitre Miki brought the Voyager out as a new build and has done a number of world cruises. It is certainly the best option for FP for a Regent Cruiser. This Feb Oceania Marina had difficulty entering the lagoon at Moorea and had to carry on. The PG is the perfect sized ship for FP. Marina with its 1000 plus guests would inundate the infrastructure.

If you are looking to fly to FP Business class then would suggest you research pricing as there is quite a variation between what ATN offers and PG prices. We are actually flying via Hawaii next year as we got very good biz seats on a flatbed aircraft.

Pre cruise at the IC is good for a rest. Its a decent hotel with a lovely view of Moorea. You may want to fly to another island pre cruise - People like to do Bora Bora or Tahaa. If you dont want to fly and have at least three days then you could take the ferry to Moorea which is an easy ride there and back.

Regarding TAs any of the standard Regent ( luxury) TAs would know the PG from the past and could you update you and of course the PG Board regulars can give you a lot of information as well.

Enjoy your planning!

Edited by Emdee

Yes, feels a bit overwhelming! You've come to the right place! I was once a newbie like you and got GREAT advice form some of the folks above :D Really, I arrived already " in the know" it was great.

A full review of my "newbie" experience including tons of planning and packing tips is linked right in my signature on this post.

As for first steps, ill concur with the experts: a 10 day cruise, 2 week stay would be ideal. I will also add that if you don't mind wrangling flights and details yourself, you can get plenty of advice here to do it, but as a newbie, I really appreciated booking the seamless vacation from PG directly. They handle all the details, you literally walk off the plane and they have a rep who lets you know where to be for transfers, embarking, post cruise etc etc. Those who spent a day or more pre cruise in FP, really embarked feeling refreshed and ready for adventure! Booking it all through PG makes it so easy!

I agree about the helpful reps at PG too...every question was answered and they had great advice! But to be honest, I asked lots and lots of questions here and read reviews and that helped me through the planning process the most!

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!:D

Edited by Familygoboston

Whatever you do try not to overthink and over analyze everything !

Everything everyone else has said is great advice. Don't go crazy, look forward to a great time. You definitely want to spend at least two days in Tahiti before the cruise after a long trip and a significant time change.

about which one to pick.It ll be for 2015,dates flexible.

Can you give a newbie SOME idea were to start?Is it better to book afew days in Tahiti before?Should you book air on own)?we usually do,but think only 1 airline right?

Ordered a brochure already. How far in advance must you reserve?

What one did you do first? Have been on Regent 3 times and hear its similar,right?

HELP.:confused:

Hi Alexandra, how are you? I always suggest the 7-day Societies Islands for the first time, combined with at least several days pre-cruise to adapt and de-stress before you board the ship. There is no appreciable sea time, you're anchored at one island or another every day. But the 10-day trips which include Fangiroa or Fakarava are good too. I've also done the Marquesas 14-day, but wouldn't suggest this to a first-timer unless they really had a special interest.

The pre-cruise package prices from PG Cruises are not bad, at least for Tahiti itself and Moorea (for which you need a minimum of 3 nights I believe.) Bora Bora is just plain expensive. (All the islands are expensive actually, but the hotels on BB are more so.)

Air Tahiti Nui is the carrier that PG uses if you accept their air. Business upgrades are very expensive. Other routes are problematic because they don't fly every day, but you can look at them and see what suits. I've looked at Air France and Hawaiian for my trip next year, but the routings and dates just don't work.

The PG was my first cruise and I've done 5 cruises on the PG, including a b2b. It's different from Regent in that the ship is much smaller, and very intimate. But lovely, believe me.

and will now have to research the details.Also found a Regent one that looks interesting.

How far in advance is it necessary to book?Will probably try a 7 nite and have 2 nites pre.

My DH is a little leary there will only be ocean activites and not into scuba,etc.More interested in island exc.

Also, sort of concerned about small PG ship with motion,then read the entertainment is so so.

The business class air is a must,so know it will be expensive.How much more on average? Good point about day room,never knew that.

Looking to meet Gardner McKay on Adventure in Paradise,haha.Remember that show?Shows my age, I m afraid.:)

I have booked PG on my own and with a TA. All future bookings will be made directly though some TA's are willing to forfeit a bit of their commission by giving an on-board credit. personally I would rather book direct than be concerned about a small on-board credit, as I said, the PG reservation desk knows their product extremely well.

For the first time, I used a TA for our PG cruise and received a $600 OBC, which I thought was pretty good.

and will now have to research the details.Also found a Regent one that looks interesting.

How far in advance is it necessary to book?Will probably try a 7 nite and have 2 nites pre.

My DH is a little leary there will only be ocean activites and not into scuba,etc.More interested in island exc.

Also, sort of concerned about small PG ship with motion,then read the entertainment is so so.

The business class air is a must,so know it will be expensive.How much more on average? Good point about day room,never knew that.

Looking to meet Gardner McKay on Adventure in Paradise,haha.Remember that show?Shows my age, I m afraid.:)

There are land activities as well, and getting onto the island and seeing the sights is highly recommended. The entertainment is fairly good, considering the size of the ship, and the island ambience on the ship is pronounced.

Snorkel equipment is included, as are tips and beverages, plus the included motu (little island with a beach) day.

Yes, business air will be expensive. Probably $3-3.5K pp. We're trying to do AF Premium Economy for our next outing to the islands (it's addictive.)

• 2 weeks later...

We took our PG cruise this past summer & LOVED IT!!!

We chose the 10 day Society Islands & Tuamotus, because of the overnight in Moorea & Bora Bora, which is nice!! Highly recommend it!! We did a 3 nite precruise hotel stay thru PG @ the Intercontinental Tahiti, loved the resort, would stay there again I a heartbeat!! And a 3 nite post cruise hotel stay also thru PG @ Intercontinental Moorea. This resort isn't as well kept up & the service isn't as good as the one in Tahiti. Although we are glad we did the pre & post cruise hotel stays, extends the vacation & rounds it out nicely.

We did the PG airfare & transfers, highly recommend doing it this way, it is seamless, they have it down to a science!! The use of the day room on your departure day is wonderful, you can take a shower, lay round the pool, have a relaxing dinner, etc.!!

We made our reservations for the trip very early because it's a small ship, sells out & we live out in the country & were trying to request a cabin in a relatively quiet location on the ship & also I am sensitive to motion sickness.

As far as a small ship & sea-sickness, I highly recommend wearing a scopolamine patch, it worked like a charm for me. This is the smallest ship I've been on, and was also concerned about this before the cruise, but didn't have any problems. Actually on our regent cruise (770 passengers) we had some rough seas a couple of days, & I only had a problem on our last day when I was packing my suitcase, from standing up to leaning down. So now just in case that happens again I start to pack what I can a couple days before the end of the cruise.

The other thing to consider with a small ship & sea sickness is the time of year & itinerary you choose. From this board I noticed that the itinerary with the cook islands tends to have some rough sea issues so we stayed away from that itinerary & also we went in June/July when the weather seemed to be more pleasant & less storms. Out of our 10 day cruise we had one morning of rain, that's it!!

Enjoy whichever cruiselline & trip you choose!! GG