Anyone take the south pacific 11nite cruise?

I m trying to see which is better for us.Looked at Paul Gauguin and not sure which is better for this one,PG or Regent?

Have been on Regent twice and loved it.

Like the all inc.features,which could add up on PG.Know Regent ship little bigger,but maybe better for sea worthiness,entertainment,cabins,etc.??

Ideas or comments??:confused:

Having been on PG and Mariner, I would go with Mariner for the better suites and space in general. We loved PG (it was leased by regent then). But the suites are significantly smaller. There also was a pervasive musty smell in all the corridors. Dining was fine. Fewer venues on PG, but food was good.

PG is smaller therefore more motion, but nothing bad.

Also the PG has its own motus, the gauguinnes and local entertainment.

That being said I may consider visiting FP on a Regent ship for the experience and comparison.

Edited by Emdee

went to website and couldn t find any info re.shore exc.,etc.

Also, seems less expensive since air inc. and PG only from LA.

Then shore exc.too,not sure about tips,drinks, etc.there.But since I like the Mariner and know the cabins are great,along with room service hot breakfast(always a problem unless upgrade on many ships).

Wonder how soon these book up?Have a S.Caribean cruise already booked for next Dec.,so will be 2105 sometime.A little early,but so many seen to sell out in lo .cabin category.;)

Is there a "best" time of year for that area?

Are some of the itineraries more interesting/handsomer than others? Do some include more time for snorkeling?

A gal can dream can't she? (I hope the barge-in is ok.)

Is there a "best" time of year for that area?

Are some of the itineraries more interesting/handsomer than others? Do some include more time for snorkeling?

A gal can dream can't she? (I hope the barge-in is ok.)

Dream away, poss. If you want "handsome", the Marquesas trip wins in my books (beautiful high, mysterious islands, but no snorkelling). If you like snorkelling as I know you do, probably either the Societies 7-day or the Societies/Tuamotu 10-night.

But be aware, as with everywhere on the planet, the reefs are deteriorating. The first time we went in 2000 I was blown away by the coral and fish, but some islands have been affected by bleaching and by intrusion of crown of thorns starfish, and just human use.

Also poss, the flight from L.A. is 8 or 9 hours depending on direction, and the arrival and departure at Faa'a airport in Tahiti is fraught with delays, heat, etc. So keep this in mind if you think about booking.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Thanks so much, Wendy, for your as-always thoughtful and specific replies. Really helps a lot.

Btw, we're recently back from our annual 10-day snorkeling "fix" at Caneel on St John. It ranks in the top 2 or 3 great snorkeling spots for us, especially because the reefs are so close to shore and access right off the beach is so easy-peasy. We've always disappeared into the water for hours and hours, feeling as if we were in a true wonderland: variety and numbers of sea creatures and coral (also sea creatures of course) really magical. The reefs, as everywhere, have been going down year by year, but this year was the most dramatic change ever from one year to the next. Everyone was speaking of how very sad it is.

Speaking of things worrisome: I know that there've been terrific problems thanks to weather up in Toronto. Don't know whether you're there now or not, but even if not, it has to be awful to read about/see all the damage and aggravation. I'm hoping for the best for you and your east Canada pals.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks so much, Wendy, for your as-always thoughtful and specific replies. Really helps a lot.

Btw, we're recently back from our annual 10-day snorkeling "fix" at Caneel on St John. It ranks in the top 2 or 3 great snorkeling spots for us, especially because the reefs are so close to shore and access right off the beach is so easy-peasy. We've always disappeared into the water for hours and hours, feeling as if we were in a true wonderland: variety and numbers of sea creatures and coral (also sea creatures of course) really magical. The reefs, as everywhere, have been going down year by year, but this year was the most dramatic change ever from one year to the next. Everyone was speaking of how very sad it is.

Speaking of things worrisome: I know that there've been terrific problems thanks to weather up in Toronto. Don't know whether you're there now or not, but even if not, it has to be awful to read about/see all the damage and aggravation. I'm hoping for the best for you and your east Canada pals.

Thanks Poss--I should put Caneel Bay on our list for a winter break. Sorry the reefs there are in sad shape too; we all feel helpless in this, don't we?

Yes Toronto is in a deep freeze today, and will stay that way until mid-week I think. I worry about my friends and family there, hope they make it out of the deep freeze. But we're safely in Florida, where it did not freeze last night, although it did so inland, with much suffering for the strawberry farmers.

I read recently that the cycle of the Crown of Thorns is almost over and Bora Bora is returning to its glory. I dont snorkel so I dont really know.

Yes I read that too, Emdee, and knowing nothing about such a "cycle", wondered about why a predator would just disappear. But sounds good, if true!